Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday Sept 19 Masters Runs
- - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-19 5:35 AM
Just a couple more days until the autumnal equinox.  I don't know what that means but I can't think of anything cute to kick off the daily and I want to post my workout :mischief:
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-19 5:38 AM
I jogged 1.2 miles over to the middle school cinder/dirt track and then did 8x400 at what I wish was my 5k pace. :happy:   And then I jogged back home.  It was a little chilly out there at 51° and windy.  And despite the weather forecast that there was a small chance of rain later in the day, I got a little wet from some light rain on the way to the track.  You would think the weather guys could be right for at least 10 minutes. :wtf:
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-09-19 5:45 AM
Goodmorning Dave and my Masters friends:grin:

It feels more like summer here in Columbia SC this morning. It was 74*and very HUMID when I met Ray for our usuall easy 6 miler. Next up is my core routine then off to work.

Have a great day everyone:cool:

BobS
Parent - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-09-19 5:54 AM
Slated to run a 4.5 miler today followed by speedwork tomorrow.

Today though, the weather is just the way I like it...50-55 degrees with a 10-20 mph wind. Easy day in terms of effort. 

According to the Runners World calendar, the first day of Autumn is Friday September 22, 2006:wtf:, then I look at a different calendar and it says Autumn begins on the 23 of September:wtf:? Either way, it means running/training in much, much cooler weather and with the advent of all the trees changing color, it is indeed my favoriate time of the year for all outdoor activities:hug:.

Run well, run safe all.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-09-19 6:04 AM
No run yesterday, as I took Scott to Phillies game. I should a run.  Phillies looked bad except for a pinch hit grand slam.

It is summer like and the AC at school is broke.  This building was built in the 60s and never designed for natural ventilation.  Lot's of windowless rooms.  Not much meaningful education yesterday afternoon.  Super stuffy already today.

Yesterday we spoke of motivation.  You may have missed RickB late entry, and I was very impressed.   Homer would be proud.

'Day started out motivated; even stopped for a beer on the way home "

Tom
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-19 6:09 AM
It's starting to feel a little Autumish around here.  Temps in the 50's for my morning 6 miles.

Cross-country race this afternoon for my 4-6 graders.  Supposed to be a nice day, i.e. no rain.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:07 AM
Everyday the 6th grade cross country team runs by my car while I'm waiting for my kids.  Their smiles are a mile wide.  Yesterday was very windy and the girls that were trying to wear caps were giggling and chasing them all down the block!  Enjoy your cross country race - that's a great age group!!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:04 AM
I love that age group.  They are usually teachable and open to new things.
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-09-19 11:20 AM
Good luck to your runners today!  :grin:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 6:23 AM
I'm such a wimp!  Tights, turtleneck, headband and gloves for me this morning!  It's 51 degrees.  :meh:  My joints felt frozen this morning, but I got 3.4 miles done.  Looks like Sunday's weather will be perfect for the half.  I'm kinda looking forward to it being OVER.  : pbbt:  Did a fat burning workout last night.  XC meet tonight, quick trip to Sam's, and hopefully beat the sunset for a bike ride!

Spent most of yesterday morning & afternoon moving into a new office, the smallest one.  I couldn't possibly have a bigger office than an attorney, so I moved 2 doors down and lost a grand total of 6 inches.  Seems like an awful lot of work for 6 inches!  Now I sit by the screamer - an attorney who yells at everybody for no other reason than to hear himself yell.  Short little guy who thinks the world revolves around him.  Guess I'll just have to charm him.  ;)  I kept making a wrong turn into my old office yesterday afternoon!  Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.  :mischief:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 6:39 AM
A little bit of a Napoleon complex that attorney has? Sorry you had to move just for 6 lousy inches. Oh, that sounds kind bad :blush: Yes, the mind is in the gutter :laugh: Are you still looking for another job?

Wow, 51° and you wore all that :wtf: Whatever works for YOU! Good job getting out there. We still have humidity and it's going to be 80° here again today :meh: Where is fall?
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-19 6:47 AM
:laugh::laugh::evil: Thanks for the laugh this morning Jen!!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 6:48 AM
Happy to oblige. Personally I'm just glad I mentioned it BEFORE the two R's :laugh: It's hard to one up on them.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 7:37 AM
OK, maybe it's a foot.  ;)
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 7:00 AM
Naughty girl:evil:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 7:37 AM
:evil:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:50 AM
I hate screamers.  I've been exposed to plenty of them since I'm a nurse, and m.ds can be awful.  Good luck on your 1/2 Michele! 
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-19 6:50 AM
Hoping for great weather for your half Michele!

The screamer sounds like a really "charming" guy!

Pam
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 12:13 PM
The weather might be the only good thing about my half!  My husband just called and said a couple women from the zoo are running, and they will look for me on Sunday.  They both ran a 53 minute 10K last Sunday, so I told him they'll have to turn around and look behind them to find me!  He apparently told them to look for the tall redhead with a limp, who walks every now and then.  :sad:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-19 1:57 PM
tall redhead with a limp, who walks every now and then.

I love it!

BTW, did you have wind this morning on you run?  I walked the dog on my lunch hour and wished for gloves and a hat!  55° here with 30 mph wind gusts!  Do they calculate wind chill in september?:wink:
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-09-19 10:39 AM
Tights, turtleneck, headband and gloves for me this morning!  It's 51 degrees.   :shocker!:

I'd be wearing shorts and a Tee...I so look forward to 50ish weather:grin:

What the heck will you wear when it's winter:wtf:

You are right "You are a Wimp" but you're our wimp and we love you:hug:

BobS
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 12:08 PM
It was COLD in our bedroom, so I dressed according to how I felt when I woke up!  :laugh: 
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 6:36 AM
The Autumnal equinox is where there are 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night (if you are at the equator, if you aren't it's not so exact). Here's another tidbit about the Autumnal Equinox: In ancient times, the Autumn Equinox was cause for a variety of pagan festivals, among them the celebration of the birth of Mabon, the son of Mordon, the Goddess of the earth.

Amanda, and I have the day to ourselves. John's schedule was rearranged due to some PITA who wanted a full 8 hour shift and his boss asked if he and his partner could accomodate that (their store runs on 2 FT pharms and one floater or PT). They can but it means that instead of one stretch day (8am-10pm) a week, they do 2 stretch every other week. I don't mind being alone all day once a week, but twice a week can really put me out of sorts. I hope this is not a bad omen as I've had all the bad stuff I can take this year. That said, Amanda and I are going to head to the park for a run. I'll do 3 or 4. If I do 4 I'll probably walk/stretch some of it just to be careful. So far today the hip feels good, no stiffness or pain. We are supposed to go to some health thing at the chiropractor at 11:30. I don't want to go. I got out of it the other week, I may just claim forgetfulness and skip it. I have better things to do (well I don't but I don't feel like sitting there listening to a bunch of mumbo jumbo). We will also head to Target :blush: I would head to Starbucks but I think I'll try and be really good this week and follow the plan to the letter. I am SUPREMELY glad that the 2 day starter diet is over as it was EXTREMELY limiting. Of course I'm already thinking that the regular diet part is also limiting : pbbt:

Other news, and it's good. My friend and her husband went to Toledo, OH yesterday and finalized their sons adoption! WHOOHOOO! I'm hoping that all went well and she didn't do anything really bad as her MIL went with them and they'd just had a family vacation where the MIL was um, a little interfering. My friend was NOT happy. Anyway, they picked up their son in on Christmas eve last year and 9 months later it's official! I should do something for them. Not sure what though.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 7:01 AM
Be strong. Step away from the Starbucks.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 9:42 AM
<snort> :laugh:
I was good, I stayed away from the Starbucks. Although maybe it might have calmed Panda down since she started crankin' at 1.5 miles and continued until I got done at 3.5 :sad: Then she was quiet in the Target (I got out with only spending $20 <whew>) but proceeded to SCREAM the entire way home AND try and get out of her car seat TWICE. I'm so annoyed with her right now :mutmad:
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:26 AM

>The Autumnal equinox is where there are 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night <

I guess I should have been clearer. :grin:  I know what the equinox is, but I'm not sure what it has to do with the daily thread.  Wikipedia has a long description of an equinox.  Here is part of it - "the moment when the Sun is located right over the equator. The event occurs twice a year, around March 20 and September 23. "

In other news....
Today is "International Talk Like a Pirate Day" !!!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:07 AM
International Pirate Day?  I'll try to do my best Johnny Depp impersonation to celebrate.:grin:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 9:43 AM
I thought it was kind of weird that you wouldn't know what the equinox was. I should have just kept my trap shut :blush:

I seem to recall something about the International Talk Like a Pirate Day. I can't talk that way so I'll pass :laugh:
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:47 AM
There are some instructional videos on YouTube if you want to learn :wink:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:51 AM
:grin::grin::grin:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 10:36 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I think I'll pass.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 11:09 AM
My sons were telling me it was International Talk Like a Pirate day. I thought they were kidding me
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:01 AM
Good morning everyone. I haven't posted in a few days but I have just been really busy.

Football game on Saturday which the boys won in overtime! My son was playing with a really sore hamstring and was really limping, but it's much better today. Of course, he STILL played most of the game and every time he came off the field the trainer would have him on the ground stretching. He could barely walk by the end of the game but he was happy anyway.

Sunday was church activities most of the day. It seems I am going to be teaching Sunday school for the kindergarten and first grade class which consists of 9 boys and 2 girls!!

Yesterday I did 11 miles on the treadmill and it was the longest run I have done without any real pain! I am feeling so much better about the marathon now. I know I am still very undertrained, but at least I think I can do it.....NO....I KNOW I can do it!!! My knee isn't even sore this morning!!!

Today will be weights, a long walk and a lot of house cleaning!

Pam
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 7:03 AM
Your son sounds like my kinda person...as long as the leg is still attached, play:laugh:

Great job on the 11 miles and on the treadmill no less.:grin:
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:16 AM
Thanks Rob! I can hardly stand to LOOK at that treadmill today!

As for my son.....yep, he's gonna play until they carry him off the field! He broke his ankle in his Junior year of highschool while playing football, and he came  hopping off the field with his foot dangling at a very odd angle and his Dad and I KNEW from way up in the stands that it was broken. He asked the trainer if they could just tape it up and let him go back in.......the coach looked at it and said, "Yeah, we need him.....tape it up!!" It just happened that our doctor was at the game.....ran down took a look and sent us to the hospital. He ended up having emergency surgery and they put a metal plate and pins in that night! Nick was FURIOUS that they didn't let him finish the game first because it was a big rivalry game! Sometimes I think maybe that helmet didn't really protect his head that well:laugh:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 8:57 AM
OUCH!!!!  You have one tough boy there!  Mine SPRAINED his ankle last year in the 2nd quarter of a game, and sat out the rest of the game.  : pbbt:  He told me he doesn't like to be on the ground - too many people stepping on you!

Good job on the treadmill run!!  I don't believe I've ever gone over 8 miles, and that about killed me!  :laugh:
Parent - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-19 10:17 AM
Sounds like maybe YOUR son hasn't been hit in the head as often as mine:laugh:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 9:44 AM
:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:09 AM
Nice treadmill run.  You must have the toughness of your son...or rather he gets his toughness from YOU.:wink:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:52 AM
Terrific run, Pam.  I'm glad that your son is better.  Those kids heal so quickly!
Parent - - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:14 AM
So it's "4 days until the Autumnal equinox Tuesday"?  :grin:

30 minutes of core strength work last night.  Today I might lift some weights at lunch time if I can get away and then a bike/run brick (90 min/30 min) after work.

Run happy Masters!!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 2:02 PM
Wouldn't that be Autumnal Equinox's eve eve eve? Have I got the right amount of eves? Where's Lori when you need her...
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:14 AM
Yesterday was 65 and breezy - so much so that sweat couldn't even accumulate!  Imagine that, 3 miles and dry clothes!  I ran my loop in reverse which means a horrible up-hill instead of a wonderful downhill.  But I changed it up so I could run into the wind first and then have it carry me home.  The horrible uphill became nonexistant:grin:

I felt so good after I've had to spend a good amount of time reminding myself that I can't run again today.  I have to stick to the every other day thing for a few more weeks and keep my slow progress going.

Weights tonight with a concentration on the abductor/adductor machine as this seems to be doing me a world of good.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 7:19 AM
Let's see. 2,000 yard swim this morning. I should have swam more over the summer. I'm slower than usaul.: pbbt:
Lunch with my old boss at noon.
Need to pick up the two oldest boys from soccer after work. One has a game and the other practice at the same location. They are playing for a private school that lets homeschoolers tryout. I'll have a decent amount of time to kill so I'll bring my running gear and get in 6-8 miles.
If I'm feeling really spunky I'll bike for an hour tonight while Sam is at a meeting. But I'll probably just go to bed early.

Peace
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:39 AM
The old boss????  You didn't change jobs after vacation did you?  Or is this the boss who left you guys a while back?

TP
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 7:51 AM Edited 2006-09-19 8:04 AM
My boss who left a few months ago. I miss her. A bunch of us here are meeting her for burgers at Fuddruckers
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 7:40 AM
What did you hear about that other job?
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-19 7:51 AM
Still waiting on the new job. They move slowly there.
Parent - - By Lee Tri-s [us] Date 2006-09-19 9:36 AM
Sitting here stalling.  It's raining torrents out there.  Biking to school is definitely out, but I'm still hoping to get in my 4 mile run.

In addition to being the equinox (one of the greatest Scrabble words ever) Saturday is also primary election day in Hawaii, as well as my daughter's and my father's birthday.
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-19 10:19 AM
Stalling Lee???? You can be such a slacker:laugh: Yeah, right!!!!

Hope you get in that 4 mile run.

Pam
Parent - By Lee Tri-s [us] Date 2006-09-19 10:44 AM
Just got back.  The Hawaiian gods must have been pleased with me today.  It stopped raining just long enough to get my run in.  Now it's pouring again! Got to get going...........Lee
Parent - - By badlands_bob Date 2006-09-19 11:26 AM
Ahoy, 6 miles by the ri'er and on the le'ee again...and that'll probably be it for the week. Gar.

Aye, me took yesterday off the get some floorin' guys started with the hardwood floors in the loft and bedrooms. Gar, Where can I find a bottle o'rum? Arrr, good thin' Me was home, too, 'cause I ended up takin' my wife t' the doctor t' get some steroids for the poison ivy on her face. Aye. Arrr, poor baby, argh!

Due t' a little bit o' miscommunication, I'll be takin' the rest o' the week off so me can put the other hardwood floors down in the li'in' room, dinin' room, hallway and stairs. Aye, I''e ne'er done that, so I'm more then a little ner'ous about it. Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-19 12:09 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not sure if you're a pirate or an Irishman. . . . a drunk one at that!  :evil:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-09-19 2:04 PM
I got mostly pirate with just a smidge of drunken Irishman :laugh::laugh::laugh:

That was great BB!
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-09-19 7:42 PM
Oh, No!  Poison Ivy on the wife's face :cry:.  I just went through a round of Poison Ivy about a month ago...it's just horrible!  Take good care of your poor baby :hug:.
Parent - By badlands_bob Date 2006-09-20 6:48 AM
Aye......ahem, I mean yeah, it's not been a pleasant few days for her. :sad:
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-19 5:07 PM
Feels pretty autumnal here...

Spent the weekend in Chicago with in-laws. Got a couple of very nice runs in--otherwise, it was all about traveling, and trying to avoid desserts and arguments.

Today did 1200 in the pool. Sunday is the tri I've spent the last year training for, and the following week is a 5k I'd like to blister, so I'm torn between tapering for the tri, or training through it. Leaning toward a non-commital approach:happy:.
Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-09-19 6:35 PM
4 miles, 36 minutes, with thoughts of the future. Today was a run with a purpose. I have my plans set as long as the recovery progresses.

I wonder when I can quit saying I'm "recovering"?? 20 mpw? 30 mpw? Ideas anyone?
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday Sept 19 Masters Runs