Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Bethany Beach Vacation Report (short)
- - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-18 8:29 AM
Alright Tom, here's a vacation report.

Friday: drove to the beach. Got there around 3:30. Unpacked and hit the beach for a few hours.

Saturday: Bottle and Cork 10-miler and FE with Tom (one of the highlights of the trip). Back to Bethany around 10am and hit the beach for the rest of the day.

Sunday: Church in the morning. Beach for the rest of the day. Took kids to 5 Guys Burgers for dinner.

Monday: weather cooled down some. Went to the library in the morning. Older kids did school work. Went to the beach in the afternoon or awhile. Ran.

Tuesday: Beach and Playground. My wife who is very friendly met 25 year-old redheaded twin girls (no they weren't birthday presents for me:evil:), one who had 3 small children. So we hung around them for the day and we all went out for Grotto's pizza for dinner. Turns out the twins knew a lot of the same people we did. They were also heading back to Northern Virginia on Wednesday and we needed our 2 oldest taken back on Wednesday (one had college classes and one had a soccer game on Thursday). So we sent them back with them, sure beat me having to drive them back. Alex my oldest kept complaining that we didn't really know these people and what if they were axe murders. Turns out they weren't and everything was fine. Ran.

Wednesday: sent Josh and Alex home with the "Lizzie Borden" twins. Spent some time on the beach. Went to dinner that night at a friend's house. She moved to Bethany about 10 years ago. Had a nice home cooked meal. Biked.

Thursday: rained. Hung out at the house. Went out for ice cream in the evening when the rain let up. Ran.

Friday: packed-up and headed home.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-09-18 8:48 AM
Glad to hear Bethany is still intack.   I was somewhat concerned when I read in paper up here about a father and daughter who drowned on Thursday down in Ocean City when they got caught in rip currents.  Said the father was a strong swimmer.   Glad you're safe.   Sorry you did get that Nicola's Pizza.

Tom
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-18 9:03 AM
We had a bunch of e-mails when got back regarding the drowing. It was another homeshool famliy and the guy had a bunch of daughters like I do so some people were worried. It was a really sad story.

We were bummed we never made it up for Nicola's pizza, maybe next year.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-18 11:59 AM
Lizzie Bordon twins :laugh::laugh::laugh:  That is so what my kids would say.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-18 12:03 PM
SO you sent your eldest home with the twins eh? Were they home alone then? They are 15 & 16? Irregardless, sounds like a great vacation. Hey, how is Alex liking college?
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-18 12:07 PM
No Way Were They Home Alone!!! They are good kids but they are still teens! Our new found friends met up with Alex's godmother in Annapolis and they stayed there with her. We had dropped my car off at her house on the way to the beach so Alex would have a way to get to school. And she is really liking college so far.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-18 12:10 PM
Capitalize much :laugh::laugh::laugh: I think I was left home alone when I was 16, but then I was an angel. It's hard to believe that Alex isn't an angel as well <dang where is that haloed emoticon?>. Glad to hear the she is enjoying college.
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-18 12:34 PM
You were an angel at 16?!:evil::grin: Alex is pretty much an angel too but I only trust teenagers so much
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-18 12:51 PM
I know!  You are worried that if left home alone they might turn the air conditioner lower than 80°!! :laugh:

I've been trying to contact my old college roommate to see if he was going to our 25th reunion in a couple weeks.  I wasn't going to go but I was ready to change my mind if he was going.  We used to touch base once a year but the last few years we haven't made contact.  Anyway, he finally replied to a letter I sent him.  He reminds me a lot of you and your family.  He is up to 8 kids now since I last made contact.  7 girls and 1 boy (the boy being the 3rd oldest).  His wife home schools them, 2 are in college, and their senior is also taking college courses in addition to home schooling so when he goes to college next year he'll start off as a sophomore.

There is a lot to be said for home schooling, but I think it takes a special person(s) to do it right and neither my wife or I had the discipline needed to tackle it.  I'd admire what you and my roommate have done.  (Or what your wives have done.)

(As expected, he isn't going to the reunion.  But it was good to make contact.  And now I have his email address so he will not be able to escape future contact as easily :laugh:)
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-18 12:58 PM
I was an angel compared to my TWO OLDER brothers. By the time I came along, my parents were like whatever concerning me. As long as I was respectful it didn't matter. Plus I knew NOT to follow my eldest brothers examples. I could totally see why HE wouldn't be left alone :laugh:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-18 4:00 PM
I was absolutely horrible, just horrible.  Quite frankly, I probably shouldn't even be here right now but *someone* obviously another purpose for me, so I was spared!  The only thing that saved me was my grades.  As long as I brought home decent grades, my parents often overlooked the fact that I stayed out all night, smoked, drank, and occasionally skipped school.  Or they didn't really know I was doing it . . . . which I doubt.  Suffice it to say, my kids aren't getting away with anything - I've already done it!  :laugh:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Bethany Beach Vacation Report (short)