Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Anyone else find this annoying?
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-18 1:50 PM
I'm talking about how difficult it is to register for IM-branded events. Why must they all sell out instantaneously? :cry:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-09-18 2:35 PM
I'm not finding it annoying. :grin:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2008-09-18 6:16 PM
:laugh:me either
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-18 6:27 PM
Thanks for participating, you two:meh:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2008-09-18 6:43 PM
:laugh::hug::hug:this is the most action this forum has seen in a year
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-09-19 3:43 AM
no problem...whatever I can do to help. :grin:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-18 7:03 PM
i'm with you brookie:hug:

it's all the rich ol tri peeps who have nothing better to do except train all the time:mutmad::cry:

also the popularity of the sport has gone crazy and since everyone's doing marathons now, the ironman is the next thing you do to feel better than your friends. in some ways it pisses me off because there are people who sign up done 0 tris before and who have no respect for the race. they're just doing it to do it.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 5:40 AM Edited 2008-09-19 5:43 AM
Yeah they have time to train but they also have all this money to travel to the race the year before, pay for a hotel, sign up, then travel back the following year, pay for the entry fee, pay for lodging again, etc. I wish they just had online sign up for the poor peeps. I can't afford the double air fare, even if it is spread over two years.

I hear ya on the motivation issue and I'm torn about my own motivation. The distance scares me and I'd like to think I respect it, but it's so tempting to give it a shot, you know?

ETA: Once I'm in, I'd want to do it again. I don't just want the tattoo and then to cross it off my list of things to do. That stupid IM tattoo bugs me. Especially when I see it on all those middle aged ladies who whip past me on the bike. :cry:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 6:41 AM
Apparently Canada doesn't sell out and there is online registration available for a little while:happy:

:laugh: All of my friends wanted me to get the IM tat after I did Arizona this year, and before I did the race I was actually planning on getting one on my right shoulder blade (which is weird because I'm not one to brag about stuff in real life:blush:). But then I did the race and changed my mind. Now my friends always bring up the fact that I'm a huge pussy and didn't get the tat:roll: I always tell them "um yeah okay let me know when you've done one and then we can talk."
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:13 AM
:laugh: lol I can't believe they'd call you a pussy for not getting a tat when you kick ass at so many races and stuff. Too funny. :roll: Everyone has that tat. No great shakes, imo.

Yeah but there are a couple of reasons for me to avoid IMC. :meh:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:16 AM
then we'll just do lake placid together in 2010:hug:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:22 AM
clothing optional:mischief:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:24 AM
um 112 miles is a long way to ride without a chamois:shocker!::blush:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2008-09-19 7:34 AM
Hi guys:laugh::cool::noelcockblock:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:35 AM
seriously? all the way over in the tri forum too?:roll::roll::roll::roll:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2008-09-19 7:43 AM
I have cockblock radar doot doot doot <---thats radar noise
Parent - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:46 AM
:laugh::laugh::meh:
Parent - By nawwal [us] Date 2011-02-16 1:00 PM
:wink:
Parent - By nawwal [us] Date 2011-02-16 1:00 PM
-------> made you look : pbbt: <-------
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:44 AM
:cry:
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2008-09-19 9:16 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:39 AM
I'll make sure you're nice and comfy:mischief:: pbbt::hug:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:48 AM
seriously though lake placid isn't that far from toronto right? if you volunteer one year, then you get to skip ahead of everyone else in the registration line and line up with the athletes for registration for the next year:cool:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:50 AM
I was talking to my Dad about it (he is an integral part of this whole thing because he's the guy with the car) and I mentioned LP and he wasn't opposed to it. Although hearing about the 2.5 inches of rain from this past year was kinda scary. :meh: Are you gonna be there? :happy:

Side note: My Dad's so cute - I finish back of the pack and he's calling me "champ":laugh::blush:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:54 AM
The rain was an anomaly this year. It's usually around 80 degrees and fair that time of year. As far as the race, I hear it's absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely volunteering in 2009, and we'll see about 2010:blush: I'm not sure if I want to do an IM that soon, except now with all this talk my interest is piqued as they say in Montreal:shocker!:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:57 AM
Yes so I've heard but still, scary! :shocker!:

Hmm... you know there's also a non-branded Iron tri in Montreal that gets about 100 participants each year that I was considering for 2010. If Lake Placid doesn't pan out for some reason, that is. See the LP thing brings me right back to paying for accomodations etc since I'm sure volunteers need to stay over at least for a night or two. *sigh*

Oh! And I was thinking of joining a tri club at my university. Any chance you've got a sec to check out the website and tell me what you think? I can send you a "cheque" to compensate you for all your advice.:hug: http://www.uofttriathlon.com/
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 8:20 AM
Well if we split a room it would be cheaper:happy::evil::creepy:

Non-branded Iron distance tris are way cheaper than branded events too which is nice:happy: With only 100 peeps though, that would probably be a little weird I think:wtf: As long as you know that the course is well supported, I'd say go for it, but with the branded events you are assured to have the best support, course management, and volunteers possible on race day which is nice.

It looks like they have a lot of talented peeps on that team, and some coaching never hurt anyone:happy: I'm always weary about joining a club, just because I like to train and race on my own. But a lot of people like the group atmosphere, and you'll get a lot of good advice and support from them.

It took me a while to even come to terms with hiring a coach:laugh: so I'm probably not the best person to ask about joining a club.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 8:31 AM
Well if we're both all talk, then what could it hurt? :mischief:

Yeah that's so exactly why I;d rather do an IM-brand event. Though I think the one in Ottawa is bigger. But IM puts on such a great event, I'd rather stick with something proven to work.

And again - my thoughts, too. I like doing this stuff alone. Helps me clear my head. I just think the swimming would help me a lot. I'd need to take lessons in a group no matter what. But I'd drag them all down in the group rides for sure.

If I could afford a coach, I'd hire one in an instant. I need one. Badly. But not sure the group thing is for me. I'd prefer one-on-one.
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-09-19 8:45 AM
will you guys screw already and get it over with....sheesh :roll::grin:
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 9:17 AM
:mutmad:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 6:20 PM
:sad:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 8:40 PM
:evil:
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2008-09-18 8:20 PM
DID YOU REGISTER FOR AN IM? :shocker!:
Parent - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-18 8:57 PM
we're doing IM Canada 2009!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 5:37 AM Edited 2008-09-19 5:40 AM
:laugh: NO! I am sorely tempted to try this iron distance, non-IM branded tri they have in Ottawa but I don't think I'll be ready by next year and I'd like to go into a tri feeling semi-prepared. Like, I feel the 180k bike would do me in. I was soooo anxious about the half iron bike cut-off time that I was literally having nightmares about it. (Just call me SRA, folks. I sweat the small stuff when it comes to tris.:roll:) Barring injury, I plan on attempting one in 2010.

Although

If you twist my rubber arm and tell me it's doable

Oh I dunno, what to do??

Anyway I'm pissing and moaning about the 70.3 events. I'm banking on this Muskoka one filling up fast and I really want to do it again next year. Stupid Ontarians, starved for HIMs. :mutmad:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 6:46 AM
I would wait until 2010:happy:

The biggest reason is to get a full year of distance training and racing under your belt. I think a good goal for next year would be two half-IMs and a full marathon. That way, you'll get a better sense of how much fun you'll be having in an IM: pbbt:

Also there are plenty of non-70.3 half-IMs (that also tend to be cheaper:grin:) in upstate New York, Vermont and New Hampshire (I don't know any in Canada, but I'd assume they're not too hard to find).
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 7:14 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I was also planning on a Century with my Dad in August.

Thanks for your advice, ttd.:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-09-19 7:18 AM
That would be great too:happy:
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2008-09-19 10:10 AM
I hate 70.3s. In fact, they took a great race in Benton Harbor, MI, and turned it into a travesty. I will never do another 70.3 brand again.
There were so many people and NO officials on that bike course. People were passing/drafting 4 bikes deep. No one was enforcing that anyone pull back when they were passed. It was a nightmare. They are WAY overrated, IMHO.

I would like to do another Iron Distance. 2010 is another marathon, after that...we'll see. There are many non-branded ones, and many of those are very well-organized and worth it.

FWIW, I finished my first 1/2 IM and while I was shocked with my time, I was upset because I thought there was NO WAY I could do a full after that.
But then you realize that it's an entirely different animal. There is no compare. You train differently, you race differently, you prepare differently. Anything can happen and you are ready for it. I have two rules for the Ironman distance: 1) When doing the IM, keep going forward. It doesn't matter if you are doing the backstroke, walking, or walking alongside a bike up a hill. You just keep moving forward. 2) You MUST love triathlon. If you don't, what's the point? In the end, that's the only thing that will keep you going. If you hate your workouts, if you hate biking, if you're afraid of the water...your heart won't be in it. And if you're heart isn't in it, what's the point?

I miss IM training. I miss my friends, I miss my alone time on the bike, I miss the laughs. I may not do another one, but I had a great 6 months preparing for it. I learned a lot about myself and others.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 12:11 PM
Well I love OW swimming and I LOVE running but the bike frustrates me. I guess I'll see where my heart is at come 2009.

The 70.3 last weekend was great, though the officials weren't out there, that's for sure. I suspect it's because there's no sense in dropping back when you're going 4 mph up a huge, steep hill. I mean how can you draft when you're off the saddle, grinding your ass off just trying to make it to the top in the pouring rain? :cry: I also hate how they call them 70.3 now, as if they're just like IM, but different. Having done a full, I'm sure you feel the same. :wink:

Anyway thanks for sharing your thoughts. You will get back to it, I'm sure. There are plenty of friends, laughs and workouts in your future. :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2008-09-19 1:39 PM Edited 2008-09-19 1:43 PM
Oh, the bike is defintely my least favorite, but I love triathlon anyway. I know many people who don't have a love of the sport, hate the training, but they want the IM under their belt for whatever reason--to say they did it, it's on a "list," or whatever. I know people with that attitude who have not once completed one, even though they have made attempts.

Yes, there are hills in Madison where you can't help but draft because of the hills, and I've been there...you can't help but draft or whatever for fear of falling off you're going so slow!  But we're talking flat flat flat. These people had no excuse to be in a peloton. It's sad, but that's kept me from ever having any desire to do another 70.3. It's like, they don't put a cap on the competitors, and you really have to!

I don't want to keep you from doing a branded 70.3, that's just the experience I had. That one 70.3 started out as a small race of 500 in Michigan, and now it's 2000+. I'd try another somewhere else, I just know I'll get burned by it.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2008-09-19 1:54 PM
Ok, I see what you mean. I personally love training for endurance events of any kind, no doubt there. Not so sure I love the stress of wondering if I can make those bike cut-offs. :meh: But I could see how IM would be a good thing-to-do-before-I-die thing for a lot of people and they'd want to cross it off the list, type of thing. After all you've been through getting back into running, I could seriously see how this would bother you.

Flat? What's that? :laugh:

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:((Ankah))
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2011-02-17 1:34 PM
still not annoying. :grin:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2011-02-24 2:14 PM
:mutmad:
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Anyone else find this annoying?