Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / A question for you tri peeps regarding the swim
- - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-04-15 12:55 PM Edited 2008-04-15 1:12 PM
What type of breathing pattern do you use during a race, if any?  If you do follow a breathing pattern, why?

ETA: also designate if you change things up if it's an open water swim vs. a pool swim
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-04-15 1:07 PM
yay the tri forum is getting active again!:laugh::roll:

after the initial battle royale at the start i use 10 stroke pattern, sighting on the last two

something like ----> 3, 3, 2, 2:shocker!:   (that was me looking ahead to sight ahaha)

either that or 3, 2, 3, 2 if i'm a little tired sighting every 5 strokes

it just keeps me focused and i can keep my breathing consistant and also alternating the sides on which i breathe helps me maintain balance between both sides and the muscles on both sides:grin:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-04-15 1:10 PM
Thank you for your serious answer :grin:

ETA:  I should have asked about open water vs. pool swim too.
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2008-04-15 1:15 PM
pool is always every 3:happy:

but i can't do flip turns:cry::cry: i think i might try and get that down this summer:blush:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-04-15 1:18 PM
You can do it.  It's easy.
Parent - - By Certifiable Date 2008-04-15 4:07 PM
I try to breathe every other stroke, whether it's open water or pool, but I always end up breathing every stroke, because I think I need the air. It slows me down, I'm sure. But since I'm not a fast swimmer to begin with, it's not that big a difference.
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-04-15 5:11 PM
by every stroke I'm guessing you mean every other.  Every stroke would mean your head just rolls to the other side.
Parent - - By Certifiable Date 2008-04-15 6:43 PM
All my breathing is on the left side. So, I guess I count both arms making a full revolution as one stroke. I've tried to breathe on both sides and can't even make it 25 meters without a mouthful of pool water. :sad:
Parent - - By n3103f Date 2009-01-08 1:00 AM
Just a quick hint on that - if you want to breath to your right, make sure your left arm remains extended during the breath.  That's usually why people have trouble breathing to their "off" side.

There are at least three really nice benefits to alternate breathing.  First, the alternate positions help distribute O2 evenly to both sides of your lungs, which I believe helps prevent side stitches.  Second, if you're swimming a long distance in open water, it helps even out the stroke a little and stay on line (I still manage to end up perpendicular to other swimmers sometimes.)  Third, it makes spotting easier.  Actually, if I'm in open water but near a shoreline (that parallels the course,) I'll usually spot the shoreline consistently to help keep me lined up.  Or, if there is a swimmer next to me who is about the same speed, I'll just spot that person (assuming that just about everyone swims straighter than I.)

Oh, and if it was you who was asking about flip turns - they really are a snap (assuming you have decent momentum in your swim.)  When someone asks me to teach them - I start in the middle of the pool so that they aren't worried about slapping the back of their heels on the wall (ouch - trust me).  Then, I have them swim smoothly in either direction to establish momentum (you can't do a flip turn off of one stroke and no momentum) - maybe three or four strokes - then start tucking their upper body down and back toward their belly, keep their legs trailing in the water behind them (i.e., not trying to bring the legs out too soon.)  When you just can't tuck any further, and in a violent motion, start your legs over with the intent of slapping the water as hard as you can with them as they flip over you.  It helps to use your hands to pull backwards underwater to stop your momentum.
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2009-01-18 8:15 PM
Bi=lateral breathing seems a more useful skill than does flip turns. I always end up doing some races with pool swims, but prefer the open water variety.
Parent - By n3103f Date 2009-01-08 12:51 AM
Usually, swimmers refer to one of two things:  "breathing every stroke" or "alternate breathing."  Neither is probably semantically correct, but that's the lingo.

Actually, another "lingo" issue I've always had is when people refer to "laps."  I always refer to lengths, since that term is unambiguous, whereas, some people are thinking one length when they say "lap" and others intend to mean two lengths.  Such a dilemma.

To answer your original question, and I've done a lot of distance swimming in both pools and open water - I breath every stroke, but change the direction to which I am looking if I'm in a pool.  If in open water, I tend to go with a 3-2-3-2 pattern.  For me, the extra O2 is worth it (as compared to consistently alternate breathing.)

Good luck.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2008-04-15 4:18 PM
Once the swim thins out, I breathe every 3rd stroke, just like I do in the pool. I sight forward when I normally breathe to the left/stroke with my right hand, and sight to the side when I breathe to the right/stroke down with my left hand. That stroke down allows you to push yourself up.

Anyway, I tend to go out too fast, so if I just tell myself I'm swimming laps in the pool, I tend to get into my groove.

At the beginning though, I sight every other stroke, because it's so crowded with peeps everywhere.

Does that all make sense?
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-04-15 5:12 PM
Makes sense if that is what is comfortable.  I must say I have different ideas though.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2008-04-15 7:17 PM
Your ideas are wrong. WRONG!
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-04-15 8:16 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2009-01-19 7:59 AM
open mouth, suck in air:wtf:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-01-19 8:36 AM
mouth breather :roll:
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2009-01-20 8:15 AM
:laugh:: pbbt:
Parent - - By JRB [us] Date 2009-01-23 4:06 PM
I wish I could provide an anwer but I have only done 2 races and neither swim went well.  I am OK in the pool, where I very my breathing from every fourth stoke, to every third to every other.  Unfortunately I knda of freak when I see how far away the markers are.

My plan this summer is to do more open water swimming practice starting with breathing every other stroke until I get comfortable.

I'll keep you posted on how things go.
Parent - By JRB [us] Date 2010-08-10 2:01 PM
Things went great.

I was very happy with my swim.  Never felt like I was not in control.  I was breathing every other stroke, sighting every 10 strokes.  I always breath on my left side.  I have tried breathing on both sides.  I can do it but I need more practice.
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / A question for you tri peeps regarding the swim