Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday Sunshine?
- - By Michele Date 2006-08-13 8:20 AM
Is there sunshine in your part of the world?  If so, are you basking in it, or avoiding it?
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-13 8:23 AM
Sunny but with a high of only 85* projected it's going to be a GREAT rest day for me:cool::grin:

BobS
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-13 8:26 AM
No sunshine here, and since I didn't hear thunder or see lightning, I loaded up the bike and went on a new trail north of my house.  This one starts a little farther north from the park I usually start, and heads toward a national wildlife refuge.  )I was at the refuge yesterday to run the 4-mile loop, and that's why I was ticked - they didn't groom their trails and it was wet, muddy, grassy and I'm still picking stickers out of my socks.  :mutmad:  My shoes are ruined.)

Anyway, nice trail, but it'd be tough to ride in the sunshine because there is absolutely NO shade.  Asphalt is a little bumpy in places, and sometimes things move in the cornfield next to you . . . . but otherwise it's a pretty good trail.  Got out to the refuge and it started to rain.  Then I heard my phone voice mail chirp.  Then it started to rain harder, so I started heading back only to find out the wind was going against me.  Drat!

Checked my message and it was my husband, "Hope you're inside because a monsoon is heading your way!"  :shocker!:  Nope, still a few miles to go, and the last 1/2 mile is uphill.  I can see the car, I can see the car . . . . . . . . . . . . DONE!!    13.2 miles and I didn't get too wet.

Now I'm heading up to the college to deliver lineman gloves, then to lunch with hubby, then FINALLY some down time to do nothing but sit and read.  :)

Have a super Sunday everyone!
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-13 8:48 AM
Oh my!!! :shocker!:

"sometimes things move in the cornfield next to you"

Hmmm what kinds of things?

That reminded me of a ride I did in Maine one time. I even checked the weather before I left no mention of rain or storms. 17 miles I get home and there are hurricane warnings--huh?!?:wtf:

Enjoy your down time!
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-08-13 9:46 AM
She's right. Sometimes things DO move in the cornfields. It ALWAYS wigs me out. And there are usually really nasty BIG spiders in said fields as well. Oh and it can be any kind of things, from small animals to large.

Michele, glad you survived the monsoon. Enjoy lunch and your lazy afternoon. What book are you going to read?
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-13 12:51 PM
I think the movement is from cats, raccoons, maybe rats??  I just keep riding!!  :laugh: 
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-13 1:11 PM
What an adventure today Michele. Not many corn fields where I live but plenty of things that creep you out on the park trails sometimes.
A good ride. Way to go!
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-13 8:42 AM
Ha finally someone starts a Sunday post...I was tapping my fingers :laugh: Thanks Michele!!!

ah yes beautiful sunshine this morning!! :cool::cool::cool: I woke up to it peeking through the blinds inviting me out to run. My daughter is in a foul mood today--and I thought the adolescent years were bad :shocker!: so I headed out the door.

Ran a whopping 4 miles this morning--yes, yes I know you all are so jealous! :laugh::laugh: I thought I would start adding some longer runs. I didn't come to this revelation until I was out running and the road that google maps says is there is NOT!!! :shocker!:

I ran in this nice little community (that I was checking out on google maps last night and I thought it would make a nice new 3 mile run--but oh no. The roads do not connect as promised. (yes I know they say to check--but still!!! : pbbt:) I don't usually run in this area because I have to cross a very busy highway like road and during the week it seems like a hazard, and drivers here are just scary :meh:--this morning the traffic was light and I didn't have to stop running so I crossed over and into a very nicely kept neighborhood--named neighborhood of the year for the county in 2004--according to the entrance sign. Beautiful place.

Was a wonderful run. What a beautiful morning!! :laugh::cool::laugh:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-13 12:50 PM
Sounds like you had a really great run!!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-13 9:42 AM
It's a beauty here in SE PA. Sunny and not to hot. Since I'm still rehabbing the hip, I opted to weed the garden. I just came in and I'm still not done. In my defense I also trimmed the bushes/trees. And not in my defense...the beds were FULL of weeds :blush: I have the one area left to do that will require cutting down the dead foliage from my gladiolas. I have a lot of them so it's going to take some time. THe thing is we are planning to put even MORE beds in this fall :shocker!: If I could actually manage to keep ahead of it, I'd be in good shape, but it's hard. Anyway, I am resting from all stuff today. That being running, weights and abs. I WILL however stretch and ice the hip and oh use the stick on it IF I can wrest the stick away from Amanda who thinks it's a great toy : pbbt:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-13 12:50 PM
I plant just profusion zinnias, and they get so big and bushy, I can't see the weeds!  :laugh:  I have a pretty small bed, so I just let them grow.
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-13 1:13 PM
Nothing like digging your fingers into the dirt and gardening to repair the body and soul. Enjoy Jen.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-13 9:51 AM
Not much sunshine, thank goodness!!  We have had two nicely overcast mornings, and this a.m. at 8 it was almost chilly when I went out to run my 4 miles.  Excellent run, I had a blast. 

Jen, what kind of stuff do you plant in your flowerbeds?  I used to be quite a gardener till I started running :blush:, where I live, drought, clay soil and blazing heat are major conditions and I wound up losing too many plants.  I've gone to daylilies and lantana for summer, along with coneflowers, mums for fall, and pansies for winter.  Sounds like a real workout you've already had this a.m!
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-13 9:57 AM
Um, I have dinner plate dahlias, gladiolas, mums, some little weedy-looking thing that has yellow flowers. Those are my summer blooming ones. For spring I have Hyacinths, tulips and iris (late spring). I'm going to branch out a little and buy some different ones this time. I also have blooming trees (a rose of charon and a magnolia). So far I've TRIED, lilies and a couple others where the bulbs just didn't take (canna's for one.).

Nice run!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-13 3:44 PM
Sounds pretty!  I wish that we could do more spring flowering bulbs here!
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-13 12:00 PM
Nothing but sunshine here, day after day...  I wish it would rain!  I concentrate better on work when it's raining.

Today is a rest day.  I'll probably be driving 4-5 hours with my daughter to help her get enough hours to take the driving test. 
Parent - - By RBrauerei [us] Date 2006-08-13 12:09 PM
Lovely sunshine here...  But... I slept in until 1130.  Had set alarm for 8am to go run, but as happening more and more often, I simply turned the alarm off.  Not even a snooze alarm battle.  Simply surrendered.  Maybe I'll do a few miles later today.  Maybe not. :meh:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-13 12:49 PM
11:30??  Wow - guess you needed some sleep Rick!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-13 1:21 PM
Plenty of sunshine here in Philly. I slept a little later then planned. Just couldn't get to sleep last night and before I knew it Jean was home from work at 2:30AM and I was still awake.:mutmad: Not happy as I had a 13.0 mile run on the schedule this morning and wanted an early start. I pulled myself from the clutches of the sheets at nine, gobbled a bowl of oatmeal and headed out. Lot's of long hills on this run so it's a good route for half marathon training. Weather couldn't be more beautiful. Temps in the 70s and plenty of sunshine. How long can it last?:wtf: Once back home I grabbed a quick lunch and decided to groom the yard a bit. The least I could do after Jean mowed the lawn yesterday. So, for cross training I ran the edger and weed wacker. Good for the arms. Now? REST!!
Have a great day everyone! 
Parent - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-08-13 1:41 PM
Extraordinary weather here in southwest Connecticut.  And I got to enjoy, because for a change I actually stayed home this weekend!!

This was an unusual-as-of-late long bike/longer run weekend.  52 mile mile group ride with my tri club that included  some serious hills (our resident bike beast even got up off his aerobars on one of the climbs) and then a 30 minute post-ride run for a couple of us.  12.4 miles of  running today.  Followed by some yard work.......is it nap time??!!!
Parent - - By Jim J [us] Date 2006-08-13 8:15 PM
Better late than never....

On the bike trainer in the garage this morning watching it rain like heck!

20 pretty easy miles....but buckets of sweat!

Jim J
Omaha
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-14 4:49 AM
I need to get me one of those.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sunday Sunshine?