Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Saturday 10 am
- - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-12 8:02 AM
where are all your great running dailies??? You know I hate starting these things...
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-12 8:03 AM
Thanks for starting this Deb - I was just sitting here hoping some one else would take the plunge!

Heading out for 7 or so miles in the next 1/2 hour.  I'll check back in with the details:grin:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:04 PM
Belting Hall and Oates on the bike path:

Pefect weather, minimum traffic.  Ran with headphones and found myself sing "She's Gone" at the top of my lungs on the bikepath.  Went out for 7 and ended up with 7.5 it was just so darn much fun. 

Part of the route was on a trail so I got a little "adventure running" in when I had to climb over a fallen tree 2 times as it had fallen across a hairpin turn.

Getting ready for mom's birthday party...the Patio and Dining Room are cleaned and decorated.  The kitchen is picked up tho not clean.  Still a lot of cooking to do.

Happy Saturday all!
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-12 8:07 AM
After a night of listening to my daughters new neighbor's thumping music...I got up only to find my daughter with her head about to do 360's I hate it when she gets that look!!!

Did my usual 3 mile route--I think I need a new one. I did it 2 min faster though so there is hope..:laugh: after all

Went to Carrabba's with my daughter and some of her friends last night had an awesome salad with shrimp and scallops--YUM!!!:cool: I had never been there before--good food.

Have a great Saturday masters (and Jen :wink:)
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:16 PM
2 minutes faster for a three miler is GREAT!
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-12 8:20 AM
Hey ya'll - I went and picked up my daughter from her camp job yesterday.  All is well, she had a fabulous summer and she was so sweet!

I went out and ran 4 excellent miles this a.m.  Was able to go out a little later than usual and still benefit from a cooler, drier 74 degree a.m.  I think that I'm getting my running legs back!

Have a great day, all.  I think that Lori's 10K was today, I hope that it went well!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-12 8:26 AM
Just read Bob and Jen's posts from yesterday.  I replied to them, Bob and Jen, you might want to check it out.
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-12 8:35 AM
9 GREAT feeling miles this morning w/nooner and the Bagel Bunch! Cool misty rain make for a very nice run:grin:
I'm not sure of the pace but it was a little upbeat and felt GREAT:hug:

Gives me 40 miles for the week:cool: It's been a very long time since that has happened!:shocker!:

Have a GREAT weekend everyone!

Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-12 9:27 AM
Nice going Bob!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-12 10:14 AM
Very good Bob.  I wish I had a bagel bunch to run with.
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-12 11:40 AM
Thanks Mike! I do know how luck I am to have a GREAT group to run with on Saturdays.

Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2006-08-12 3:13 PM
Great run this morning Bob!

The average pace I had for our whole run was just under 8:15. (and we were happy we could slow down when you turned around to go back to your car).

It was great seeing everyone again downtown!
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-12 9:31 AM
Good morning everyone! Bright sunshine, cloudless sky and 71f in Philly. Not a better day for a run. Took a nice easy paced 10k run out on the roads. Now, if I didn't have to go to work it would be perfect.:grin:
Have a great day everyone.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-12 9:34 AM
Ron I don't need to hear that :wink: I miss Philly! :sad: Well at least the burbs anyway. The run sounds great
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-12 10:02 AM
Was to do 12, went 4.5.  'nuff said and if I can't say anything good, I won't say anything at all.  Just one of those days, so I'll zip the lip and move on . . .
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-12 1:59 PM
Well you know Michelle......That means your next run will be AWESOME!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-12 10:21 AM
A break in the humidity this morning made a huge difference in how I felt on my run.  I ran 22 miles and the cooler temps is just what I needed.  Don't we all? 

Meanwhile, I'm about to ground my son for life.  He has lost his retainer that he has to wear every night.  He forgot to wear it last night and now he can't find it.  I've searched everywhere.  My wife told him no more allowance until Christmas if we can't find it...and I said Christmas of 2007.:mutmad:  Then as I was crawling under his bed to search for it he asked me to play a board game with him.:mutmad:  He's just lucky I got in a good run this morning or I would be in a bad mood right now.:grin:

Have a fun one today.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-12 11:05 AM
My nephew's oldest son (15) does that all the time. He charges him every time he is not wearing his retainer--I don't know how much he owes him at this point but he says he is building a great retirement plan...:shocker!: I got him in trouble one time before I knew about the charge rule I asked him if he was all done that his teeth looked nephew hit the roof!!! Oops...:shocker!: me and my big mouth.

Hope you find them...

Great run!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:31 PM
That's my son's problem...he forgets to wear it, loses it, we find it, but he loses it again.  He's 9 years old, but the word responsibility must be a foreign word to him.  I think I need to do what your nephew does.:evil:

...and NO, we still haven't found it yet!:mutmad:
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:18 PM
At school, one time a kid took his retainer out to eat lunch.  Set it on his lunch tray (ewwww)...and then threw it out when he dumped his tray.

We found it...but it was gross :shocker!:.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:32 PM
I've heard of that happening...our orthodontist warned us about that.  Maybe if the kids dig through the trash themselves and get the food goop all over THEM, they would be more careful.  Then, of course, some angry parent would come storming in...
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-12 11:32 AM Edited 2006-08-12 11:37 AM
I just got back from Hell.  Hell, Michigan that is.  It was probably the hardest run I have ever done aside from the sheer distance of the 2 marathons I have done.

It was a 10-mile run with more hills than I have ever seen.  I have lived on the flattest ground on earth for the past 7 years, so I think I ran in one race, as many hills as I have done in all that time.  And I was surrounded by flat out liars.  People telling me "that was the worst of the hills", or "there is only one hill left".  Even with a half mile to go, someone said "It's all down hill from here" when I clearly saw a small uphill just ahead.

As you would reach the crest of a hill, you would see that it leveled for a short while but continued to go up.  Every time I turned a corner, there was another hill.

By mile 5 my legs were rubbery.  My quads were hurting and my gluts were screaming on the up hills.  For some reason I did not want to walk the hills and I kept going through all of them except the last little bit of one around the 8 mile mark. 

By 8 miles I didn't care anymore if I lived or died.  I knew I had plenty of life insurance and my daughters are old enough to take care of themselves.  Sure, it did bother me that I would miss their weddings and maybe grandkids.  But once I didn't care if I blew a lung, or a heart valve, or just passed out on the road, I actually ran my fastest mile of the whole thing.

Oh well, I did meet my meager goals.  This was just supposed to be something new to do.

1. Get the T-shirt that says "I Ran Thru Hell"  - (done!)  Maybe I'll put it on and have my daughter take a picture that I can post.
2. Have fun - (strangely enough - yes)
3. Finish with an overall pace of under 10 minutes.  (done)  The plan was to go out at a 9:30 pace for as long as possible and then struggle to the finish.  Finish time was 1:35:27, so I kept the same pace just about the whole way.   This was possible only because of the cool, dry weather (55°-60° at the start).
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-12 11:43 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: so you've been to hell and back?!?

I hate it when they say only one more hill or that was the worse...they always lie. That was a fun read. What a crack up:laugh::laugh::cool::cool:

Would love to see you in your Ran thru Hell shirt! :cool:
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-12 1:57 PM
I laughed right out loud reading your report.  Yes, do take a picture in the shirt.  We would love to see it.

Congratulations!  Everything truly is downhill from here!  (oh, that doesn't sound right...I mean it in a good way...easy runs ahead, you know?)
Parent - By Jim J [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:06 PM
Now remember....

"Hills are our friends!"

Jim J
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:35 PM
Your morning sounds like Hell, Dave (I've always wanted to say that).:grin: 

I've ran in hilly races with the, "it's all downhill from here" only to go up a monster a while later.  Good job Dave.  Wear that t-shirt proudly.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-08-12 4:55 PM
Your morning sounds like Hell, Dave (I've always wanted to say that)
:laugh::laugh::laugh: to funny KYM

Dave, good job on your race. I've heard that race is a tough one. And yes, please post pictures of you donning the said shirt. We wanna see.
Parent - - By Jim J [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:06 PM
Over to the Wabash Trace Trail this morning for a nice 10 miler OFF the CONCRETE!

Total time: 1:24:07

Went out easy in 44:21 and came back at a good clip in 39:45 with the last mile a 7:30.

Cloudy and about 72 degrees which made it very nice for August.

Have a great day!

Jim J
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:19 PM
Have you been AWOL for a bit, Jim? 

Your workout today sounded Great!
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:15 PM
Was due for a long run...but decided it woud be best to postpone the run....because I can't get my shoes on.  Why can't I get my shoes on?  Because I brought a beautiful case of Poison Ivy home with me from vacation :cry:.  Anyone have any tried and true remedies to get over it QUICKLY?
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:21 PM
Benadryl pills and lotion have always worked for me, but a friend of mine recently got some, went to the doctor and got something stronger.  I wish I could remember what he said.  I think Benadryl just treats the symptoms until it goes away.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-12 2:38 PM
Oh, poor you.  Did you walk barefoot through the daisies or something?  Sorry, just picking at you.  I don't know any sure-fire quick remedies to pass along.  I'll tell you what I tell the kids at school with poison ivy...try not to scratch.: pbbt:
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 9:48 PM
Moose, there was no 'walking through the daisies' or 'tip toeing through the tulips'...just a lot of wrestling the poison ivy (even though I didn't know I was!)!

Yep, ask the kids....they'll know:hug:.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-12 4:53 PM
Oh Joy, that really stinks. If the rash is really bad you can get a scrip for prednisone. But like GD said Benadryl and maybe some calamine lotion (or other anti-itch lotion aka hydrocortisone cream)? Hope it goes away quick. I feel for you...been there and done that.
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-12 4:58 PM
Prednisone!  That's what my friend got.  It seemed to work great.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-12 5:04 PM
I know from first hand knowledge myself :mutmad: It does work well.
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 9:51 PM
Thanks, Dave and Jen.....I'm hoping it isn't bad enough for prednisone...but it is VERY nice to know there are others out there that have dealt with this. 

It is soooo strange...DH and DS did not get it......and we were all in the same places.... is yucky:meh:.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-12 6:07 PM
Weirdest thing. I read this, then I went to the store--while I was waiting in line for the lady ahead of me to get her act together I was flipping through Prevention  and saw this article on I came home and looked it up on their site.

Now I haven't tried it..

"My number one rule: Take an over-the-counter antihistamine." He buys Children's Benadryl Allergy Fastmelts; kids like the way they dissolve on the tongue (no swallowing required), and they're effective in adults, too. Check the label for dosage.

To soothe skin instantly, spritz yourself with European mineral water--San Pellegrino, for example--says Christopher Dannaker, MD, an assistant professor of dermatology at the University of California, San Francisco. Studies show that mineral-rich spring water relieves pain from burns and rashes; it's also used to treat itching and redness following laser skin resurfacing. "Mist it onto irritated skin and its trace minerals will work as anti-inflammatories," he says.

There were other remedies for those interested. I found it rather interesting,,s1-1-74-112-7113-1,00.html
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-12 9:57 PM
Thanks for the web site, Deb.  I soooooo appreciate you checking out their website, and I checked it out, as well!  I have spent more time on Google today, than I care to admit.

I have done the antihistamine thing.  Yep, it was even the child's dose.  I have also done hot showers, direct application of ice cubes, caladryl, and a lot of making deals with our higher being!  I'll take help, however I can get it :wink:.

This really is......Icky!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-13 9:40 AM
I always have to call my dermatologist to get some heavy duty steroid cream.  It works wonders.  Maybe a family doc would do it if you called them, too.  I keep the tube forever and then at the first sign of poison ivy I put it on to stop it right away.

On a bright note, last time I had it (before I had any high potency steroid cream) I ran a fabulous thirteen miles later in the week~
Up Topic Communities / Masters / It's Saturday 10 am