Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Mudwater Sprint Triathlon Report
- - By Certifiable Date 2007-07-28 12:44 PM
I competed in the 2007 Mudwater Triathlon on July 28. It is a sprint distance tri 750m swim, 20K bike, 5K run at Lake Afton, which is about 20 miles southwest of Wichita, Kansas.  I haven't raced since June 3, so was anxious to get into it.

I woke about 4:40 to be on the road by 5:15 for the approximate 2 hour drive to the race. Coffee and cereal bars. Nothing else remarkable about the drive. I arrived plenty early, checked in, set up my transition area and decided to run the 5K course for a warmup. The body marking lady was not amused trying to mark my arms and legs after my warm up run. Permanent marker isn't too permanent on sweaty skin. :laugh:

Swim: It was a mass start for the swim, so there was kicking, punching, colliding, etc. :roll: My goggle strap was too low on the right side of my head which caused my right eye to keep leaking. I tried to swim one-eyed, but that was too distracting. Finally about 150m in to the race, I figured out that I needed to adjust the strap and then I was able to swim much better. Still, I think my swim was pretty weak, which is typical. They missed the split, but I'm gonna say it was in the 13:30-14:00 range.

T-1: Probably 1:00 - 1:30 or so. Not very fast for putting feet into shoes, closing velcro, throwing on a helmet and sunglasses.

Bike: The bike course was a little weave through the park to the road and then an out (south) and back (north) on rolling hills. I started passing people about 100m in and was still passing them about 100m from the end. Dozens got a look at my backside as I went by them. There were two guys I played a little cat and mouse with, but my mile 11 I dropped them too. My 32:31 bike split works out to about 22.7 mph, which delights me to no end. Third fastest recorded bike split in the race, although they missed a couple of those on the results which they had posted.

T-2: Again, not very fast for changing shoes and taking off a bike helmet. I'd estimate 1:00 or so.

Run: I really expected to tear it up on the run, not the bike. I passed five or six other triathletes during the run with solid, but not spectacular splits of 6:35, 6:44, 6:26 and :58 for what measured out as 3.15 miles. 20:43 was somewhat disappointing, since I went sub 40 in the 10K at an Olympic distance tri in June. But the mile 3 split did reflect that I wasn't running out of gas yet.

My official finish time was 1:10:46, which was good for tenth place overall and :cool::laugh: first place in the 45-49 age group. The race was well organized and easy to navigate. The packet included a Mizuno technical shirt and I got a nice plaque for winning my age group.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2007-07-29 2:07 PM
Sweet! Nice ride, spectacular run splits, and congrats on the overall and AG! :cool:
Always nice to get a technical shirt too! I can never find those races!
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2007-07-29 2:21 PM
in the tri world, the tech shirts seem to have won out over the cotton tee:cool:

thanks.
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2007-07-30 7:56 AM
:shocker!:holy cow! nice race!:cool:congrats!
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2007-07-30 9:28 AM
thanks so much
Parent - - By DjthePirate [us] Date 2007-08-02 12:06 PM
woooohoooooo Congrats
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2007-08-02 3:39 PM
thanks. Interesting, I went back and cross referenced against a 400m/20K/5K event I did in April. This one took my 36 seconds longer than the April one, but the swim was 350m longer.
Parent - - By runawaymom [us] Date 2007-08-02 4:44 PM
OMG!!
that's one heck of a race!!
Bravo!!
you're awesome!:cool:
emily
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2007-08-03 5:58 AM
:blush::hug:
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Mudwater Sprint Triathlon Report