Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sports Drinks
- - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:36 AM
I'm not a big sports drink person, but I am so sick of drinking water. And my daughter was thinking my headaches come from drinking too much water. Since I have been sweating so much I decided to try a sports drink. I found one at Trader Joe's (made with sugar) I like but it's kind of a pain to go there. I have been trying to rid my life of high fructose corn syrup but when I was reading the labels at the store a lot of them had HFCS in them.

I picked up Gatorade it has sucrose syrup and glucosefructosesyrup. I'm wondering if that is any different than HFCS?

What does everyone drink after a sweaty run? I have never sweat like I do here...what is up with that? :wtf:
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-09 8:27 AM
Most sports drinks are too sweet for me, so I dilute them either in half with water or 2/3 water.  I take salt tabs every time I run.

I've always heard (and believed) that the better shape you are in will cause you to sweat more- your body becomes more efficient at cooling itself.  So take pride in your heavy sweating- I do!  :grin:

Sweat early and lots! 
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-08-09 9:56 AM
I use infinity sports drink. You have to order it of the web but you can make it to your liking. You get to pick how sweet it is, how much sodium is in it, how many calories per serving, caffeine level, you can add protein and anti-oxidants, plus lots of other things.
Parent - By keithlong_nm (elite kenyan) [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:21 AM
I use Accelerade, but am not wild about it.  It doesn't taste all that good, and foams up in my bottle on my fuel belt.  It supposedly has the correct balance of carbs and protein, but that may just be so much advertisizing.  It is fairly cheap compared to the other options.

I tried Amino Vital after a race one day and really liked the taste of it, but it is pretty expensive.
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:44 AM
I find Gatorade works just fine for me.:meh:

Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2006-08-09 12:41 PM
I trained with Ultima when they used it for the MCM a few years ago. It doesn't have any sugars, but does have the electrolytes that your body needs. Many people hate the taste since they are used to the sweeter drinks like Gatorade, but I didn't mind it at all. You might want to try some out:
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-09 4:53 PM
I find that Accelerade improves my performance, but like Keith, I hate the foaminess of it.  It does, however, give me migraines (really I'm not crazy, certain ingredients do it for me.)  So these days, I just drink gatorade.  I find the gatorade endurance too salty for my taste, and I feel the same about powerade.  Since I'm not doing any runs right now over 7 miles, it isn't too much of a problem.   I do love the honey stinger (the plain kind with B vitamins,comes in a little pack like gu) for energy, but I don't think it would help with the loss of sodium and potassium.

I read once in RW or RT that as you acclimate, your sweat becomes less salty.  They say to check it by licking your arm - I'll confess to doing this this summer, and as the summer has progressed, much less salty.
(for what it is worth)
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 6:02 PM
My dogs like to lick my legs.  I suppose that's better than my husband.  ;)
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-10 8:45 AM
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-10 11:09 AM
yeah I have used ultima I like that the best but I was looking for something readily available. I don't usually drink sports drinks for short runs but I have been sweating so much I wanted something to replace what I'm sweating out. Gatorade is so sweet though--ugh  ohhh new flavors I will have to order some.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 6:03 PM
I've never had a problem with Gatorade.  On my long runs I only use gels, and never had a problem with those either.  I must have an iron gut.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-11 5:05 PM
I like the Gatorade Endurance. On long runs in hot weather it has worked well for me. 
Parent - By rungear [us] Date 2006-08-11 5:59 PM Edited 2006-08-11 6:05 PM
Gatorade (alone) is my choice to get through any distance up to and including a marathon!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Sports Drinks