Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wild, Wild WEDNESDAY
- - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 5:23 AM
Anything WILD happening in your life today?  Tell us all about it...
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 5:27 AM
Nothing really wild so far for me.  The kids were on their best behavior yesterday.  Many had on new shoes and clothes and seemed happy to be back in school.  Of course the first few days of a new school year is just the honeymoon period.  They're tame now, but will turn wild(er) soon.  It was a little wild at my house this morning trying to get my own two kids fed, watered, and ready for school.:grin:  My daughter has been wild as she is sooo excited about being in the first grade.: pbbt:

Ran a tame 8 miles this morning with a big moon following me.

Have fun today.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:42 AM
Ooooooooh a first grader!  How fun!!
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:49 AM
That's interesting, you'd think from a teacher's perspective they'd be tamer later in the year once classroom decorum (ha!) was established.  Your house sounds like mine. :)
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 5:42 AM
Another easy 6 miler this morning:cool:
I'll be doing my weights workout in a few minutes and then later this afternoon I ride the trainer for 1/2 an hour.
I'm really begining to feel like a runner again:grin:

The only thing missing from my w/o's is the swim. I'll need to join the Wellness Center to have a pool large enough to do laps and $$ is a little tight right now. Really having a hard time figuring out how to work in the swim:wtf: Only so many hours a week for w/o's

Weight is back down to 168 this morning:grin:

BobS
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:34 AM
"I'm really begining to feel like a runner again"

Those are some of the best words to hear on this forum.  Way to go Bob!  You've done a terrific job of working your way back.

Tom
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:12 AM
Thanks Tom! My real challenge now is to not go overboard. I found myself thinking about jumping up to a 13 mile run Saturday when I haven't gone over 6 in months. I decided that 9 makes more sense.

BobS
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:54 AM
9 would be a great distance for you this Saturday. The bagel bunch will be very happy to see you again.

You joining us tomorrow morning?
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 8:19 AM
Yes I plan to run about 6 miles with you guys. Where do you suggest I meet you? What time?

BobS
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2006-08-09 8:26 AM
Let's say at Simms Park.

We should be there at about 7:15. Look forward to seeing you then!
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:58 AM
That's great news you're having good runs, Bob. 
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 12:22 PM
Thanks Krista!

BobS
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-09 6:16 AM
A beeyouteeful moon this AM.  Kinda muggy- feels like rain today.  For the first time in my life I think I have some allergy symptoms.  The past couple of mornings I've been stuffy and headachey.  Can you get allergies for the first time when you're 48?  :wtf:

Last night we did an upper body workout that was hard for me...but I got through it.  I'll be sore tomorrow.
Parent - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:36 AM
Hey Dottie, Ray had allergy symptoms really bad, last year for the first time in his life and he seems to be having them again now. I have heard you can develop them anytime. Hope you feel better soon.

Pam
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:40 AM
Yes you can develope allergies later in life they can also shift from one thing to another.
At least that's what Dee's doctor has told her.

BobS
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:42 AM
Your 40's can be prime allergy time.  They hit me hard about 42.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:07 AM Edited 2006-08-09 7:32 AM
The moon was beautiful this morning.  Almost made me want to howl.:grin:

I had allergies early in life but seemed to have outgrown mine.  Lucky me huh?
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:52 AM
Ooh, allergy misery. And, I'm guessing it's probably grass based upon the time of year right now.

When I first moved to Seattle, my allergies/hay fever suddenly disappeared.  Well, they didn't exactly disappear -- it just took another year or two before I developed allergies to all of the new stuff I was exposed to here.  :(
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:33 AM
Wild??? Trying to get ready for a last minute, end of summer weekend away! YESTERDAY, we decided to find some place to go for the weekend and I found a place in Hyannis,MA where we will stay Friday,Saturday and Sunday, with a side trip over to Nantucket, IF we can talk Conor onto the Ferry!! Believe it or not, I have NEVER been on a boat on the ocean, and I'm not so sure I will do that well for 2 hours! Even if we don't make it to Nantucket though, we will take a 2 hour scenic train ride, visit the Kennedy memorial and museum, and do some biking, swimming, etc:cool: Since it is supposed to be pretty cool there over the weekend, I now have to find some long sleeved shirts and other cool weather attire!

I haven't posted since maybe Friday, because we've been pretty busy here. I have been running, and we went on a LONG hike at Sleeping Giant park on Sunday.......AFTER walking on the beach and some pretty paths at a beach here in CT.

Speaking of WILD......Conor starts kindergarten soon. Hopefully, he won't get in trouble for trying to teach the class himself!!

Have a good day!

Pam
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:38 AM
The Cape Cod weekend sounds terrific.  We honeymooned on Cape Cod and it is my hope to return next summer for our 35th anniversary.  Eat some fried clams for us!

Tom
Parent - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:15 AM
Fried clams, fried oysters, fried scallops......OMG, I LOVE them all. I wish I liked these things some way other than fried, but they just have to be fried for me! I hope you make it to Cape Cod for your anninversary:hug: Our anniversary was Monday so I guess we can call this our anniversary trip......without the romance.......the kids are coming too!!
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-09 7:01 AM
Sounds like a great weekend.  When I was little my grandparents had a small place in Bass River? or Bass Rocks?  It was outside of Hyannis. I went back there as an adult and was amazed at how teeny tiny the cottage was...it seemed so much bigger when I was small.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-09 9:10 AM
Bass RIver is exactly where we honeymooned.

Tom
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:55 AM
Have fun, Pam!!!  I've been on so many ferries, and every time I still enjoy it immensely.  There's something about them. :)  Not sure if your comment was directed toward how you'd physically feel, if it's a larger ferry that holds cars (?), you should be fine.  If it's smaller, you may want to take  preventative med or wear one of those patches just to be safe. Two hours being miserable on a boat wouldn't be fun. 
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:47 AM
Track workout last night.  80° and 20 or so from my running club.  And we didn't have to share the track with the high school kids!  200,400,600,800,600,400,200 with equal recoveries.  I've been slacking the past couple weeks with the heat and walking the recoveries.  Last night I ran them all.  Had to bail on the cool down as I could picture my family sitting around the dinner table with their tongues hanging out waiting for mom......so, 5 miles total.

If the rain holds off it'll be a bike workout tonight, if not, weights at the gym.
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 9:58 AM
That track work out looks fun...just may have to give it a try!
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:42 AM
Equal recoveries ---- by time or distance?  I was just wondering how other people do speed work.  My recoveries are usually about half the distance but the same time as the speed part.  (Except if I did 200's I would probably do a 200 recovery.  I just don't do anything that short because I may pull something :wink:  My body isn't ready for sprints.)
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-09 3:05 PM
Equal recoveries by distance.  Seemed weird to me until I did them.  When I slack and walk the recoveries I do it by time (or to the nearest identifiable mark on the track) because that's just too far to walk!  When I was running them last night I found I needed every bit of the distance to recover.

We have a lot of beginning runners in our Tuesday groups and it is just so much easier to explain 200 hard, 200 easy, 400 hard, 400 easy, etc.

We have a pace chart hanging at the start line too with everyone's goal 5k this year.  Then it lists the time for your 100 and we all set our beepers for that.  Really keeps you going when you start slowing ever so slightly.  And all the different beepers going off in all different pitches just makes me crack up when I realize we are taking this way too seriously!  i'm so lucky that even our fast runners have a sense of humor and flash a smile as they go past us slow folks giggling on the curves!!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 6:00 PM
Yee-haw - great job Dawn!  :cool:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:49 AM
Certainly the weather is not wild today.  MILD today.  A beautiful morning.  Unfortunately I wish my mood matched the weather.  I thought things were looking up on the homefront, but a series of small events kept building and yesterday was too tense.  I went out to the garden railroad to relieve some tension.  Of course as I bend down I pulled a back muscle. Yeah tension is real.  Not the first time this has happened.  Funny thing is that as I run, the back feels better while running.  But it just seems to sap energy from you.  So I ran this morning about 45 minutes since it is such a beautiful day.  May stop at chiro later today.

Blues Band for concert in park tonight.  Maybe a bucket a of fried chicken to go with blues...  and bottle of Mad Dog. (No skip that, no booze in park)      "I woke up this morning, feeling so blue...  Went for a run, How about you?"

Tom in DE
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:53 AM
Sorry about the back. Go to the chiro they will fix you right up.

Blues concert sounds great. Have a great time.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 6:00 PM
Hope things get turned around Tom!  Enjoy the concert tonight!  I'm putting my feet up and will have a glass of wine for you!  ;)
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-09 6:50 AM
Nothing wild yet! Had a nice run, the humidity must be up I was sweating like crazy but the temp isn't really high. A little over 3 miles according to the gmap thing. My daughter pulled out her stretching strap for me last night--she says I need to stretch :shocker!: this from the non exerciser (except what the AF makes her do). I guess the military taught her something.

Still no baby :sad:..she is getting impatient but she doesn't want her to come today (it would be my nephew's 18th birthday who died a few months ago of a rare disease and she thinks it would just be too sad). On the bright side she found out she passed her advancement test on the first try so she is very happy.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:09 AM
Yay for your daughter with the test. 
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-09 8:31 AM
When is your daughters due date? Congrats to her on her test. What does she advance to?
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-09 8:49 AM
She was due last Friday the 4th. She will be a staff sargeant, she is changing her career field too still waiting to hear which one she will be accepted into.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-09 9:04 AM
Oh, she's late. The poor thing. Is she alone (aside from you being there) or does she have a SO? I don't remember you saying. What field does she want to go into. Just curious but does she get maternity leave being in the military? I thought you said she was getting out of the military? I'm so confused and apparently full of nosy questions :blush:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-09 9:29 AM
I sent you an email. I think I have the right address..
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-08-09 12:14 PM
I got it. I'll respond later...after lunch. We are starving.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 5:59 PM
Ha!  Curtis was due August 4th, and was born on the 9th - there's still time!!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:05 AM
Only my wild and hectic schedule . Out for an early 3.5 miles, breakfast, post and out the door to school. later guys!
Have a great day!
Parent - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:13 AM
Greetings all!:grin:

Nope, nothing exciting except the weather is finally turning in our favor here in mid-Michigan...this morning Temps were 60 degrees with almost NO humidity...excellent.

Speedwork yesterday when it was 85 degrees at 5K-10K pace...more like 10K pace actually. Felt nice to run quicker for a change and not collapse from the heat.

Slated to run a 4 miler today.

Run well, run safe Friends.
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:19 AM
I can't think of anything wild.  I got in a pretty good 6 mile run this morning and the weather is great - just 57° at the start.  After my struggling 12 mile run last Saturday I was a little worried about my 10 mile "race" this Saturday, but good runs on Monday and now today have given me new confidence.  It'll be a slow 10 miles (I am only doing it for the "fun").  But now I'm pretty sure it will be a "run" and not a death march.  This weather is supposed to hold all the way to Saturday, with lows in the upper 50's and highs around 80-85.  You can't beat that for the middle of August around here!

I may find out about my job today.  (My main client says I have to become full time or stop working for them.)  If their offer is good enough, then no problem, otherwise I have got to start looking for something new. 
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:54 AM
Fingers crossed on the job front....
Parent - - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-08-09 7:57 AM
Back from our long weekend in Miane.  Nothing wild going on.  Just back at work.  :mutmad::sad:

3,000 yards in the pool this morning.  The day is pretty packed with stuff, so that's probably the only training I'll get in today.
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:56 AM
I hope it was a good weekend, Jeff!   Things will settled down in a day or two. You're back at work and I'm leaving!  :laugh:  (that's a nah nah nah emoticon).  I'll pay my dues when I return I'm sure.
Parent - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-08-09 12:58 PM
It was, as always, a great 5 days in Maine Krista. 

Have fun in Dairy Country!! :hug::hug:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-08-09 8:20 AM
I got in a good 17 mile long run this morning with the last 5 miles @ MP. And I agree with the Dottie, the moon was great this morning.
Still working from conference hotel toom hell
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-09 8:30 AM
Today is also a rest day from running. I have been out for breakfast with a friend and her son. I had Raison French Toast, bacon and some bananas for the lass. Then we went over to their house for a bit and had a <shudder> play date. It was the first and given that Amanda is not terribly social she pretty much just stared at Benjamin. Later we are heading out to BJ's (ugh). I doubt I'll get anything else done, though weights, abs, bathroom cleaning and weeding are ALL on the list of things I need to accomplish.
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 9:13 AM
Do something for yourself! Weights and Abs move the Bathroom and Weeding to tomorrow:grin:

BobS
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-09 9:30 AM
I'm with Bob--do something for Jen before you so all that other mundane stuff.
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 9:53 AM
Good Morning, Moose and Masters!

The only wild thing going on here is doing 800's on the street rather than the track.  How do you guys do it?  I almost got hit twice....and almost fell once.  It was so hard to concentrate.  I got 7.5 miles with 5x800's....by the skin of my teeth!

Off to Devils' Tower, tomorrow.  Have a great rest of the week, all!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 12:54 PM
But you got them in...that's the main thing.  Dodging cars and potholes is all part of the adventure.: pbbt:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 5:58 PM
It's tough doing them on the streets.  Since I've only done them at 4:30-5:00 a.m., there's no chance I'll get hit by any cars!  Falling down, yep I've done that one!
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 10:46 AM
Nothing wiild per se, but it will be a wild day trying to get everything accomplished before we leave for Wisconsin to see family early tomorrow a.m.  It's been a few years since I've been "home" and a few years since I've seen some of my sisters and my mom.  So, I'm pretty excited.  We'll stay a night in Chicago on the way home so we can visit the American Girl store (Maeve doesn't know what she's in for; I visited when I ran the Chicago Marathon a few years ago) and go to a museum or two.

I hope to get in a run in the late afternoon -- DH arrives home from his trip around noon so HE can pick up the kids. :evil:  Then home to pack and go to see Real Madrid play DC United tonight.  Should be fun and get the kids rallied for fall soccer season. It's going to be a late night and early a.m. tomorrow for an 8:30 flight.  Not a good combination!  Oh well, kids can sleep on the plane (yeah, right). 

Have a good week everyone.  I hope I survive the humidity and mosquitoes of the North Woods.  I'm spoiled rotten here by having neither!
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-09 11:09 AM
Have a Great visit with your family, Krista :hug:.

As far as the mosquitos go....sounds like around the masters forum they just chase 'em with a shot of Gatorade:laugh:.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 1:42 PM
I heard that!:grin:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 1:45 PM
Sounds like a fun little family reunion.  Enjoy!
Parent - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-08-09 2:41 PM
Have a great visit Krista! I love Wisconsin! When we lived in MN for 2 years, we visited Wisconsin often. We had friends with a cabin in Minocqua (sp?) and I fell in love with the place!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-09 3:08 PM
I love the museums in Chicago....don't forget the Shedd Aquarium and the Art Institute!
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2006-08-09 11:58 AM
My wife had the wild assignment today. Middle daughter had an orthodontist apointment, and then had to get back to band camp, and then she had to take our son to meet a friend who he is going to stay with for a few days. So lots of extra driving around for her.

It was our usual (and not wild at all) 5 mile downtown course at noon today. Running with our slower buddy made this a very nice recovery day.
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-09 12:19 PM
Hey, I thought I was your slower buddy!:shocker!::laugh:

BobS
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-09 4:36 PM
Hello everyone!  Wild day for us, sorta.

First things first, I got up really early to run a hot, humid, sweaty 6 miles.  OMIGOSH, I thought I might just die right there on the pavement.  But I knew Curtis was depending on me to help move boxes!  : pbbt:

Packed him up, and off we went.  I rode with Curtis and had some time to just let him know how proud we are of him, and how much we trust him to make good choices, because he's taking the reins now.  He'll do a good job, at least he's made good choices so far!!  (He choise not to go to the strip club at midnight last night, his 18th birthday - HA!)  Moved him into the Men's Hall, with NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!  They have a small room and it was stifling.  Fortunately, their football building is ice cold, has stereo, several big screen TVs, and soft carpet.  They can shower over there, lay on the carpet, cool off, and watch TV before heading "home".  They begin 2-a-day workouts in the morning, so everybody pray for cooler weather!!  I got all my crying done a couple days ago.  Today was just too exciting to be sad and besides, we forgot his microwave so we're driving up there tomorrow to drop it off!  LOL!  :laugh:

Now to get my camera to work and post some pictures.  :)
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-09 4:58 PM
Well, I hope that everyone's kiddos had a great first day at school (Curtis, too!).

I'll leave on Friday to pick up my daughter from her camp job.  No running today, Pilates and chiropractor.  Gosh it is so hot.  I just want to stay cool inside, but it isn't even that cool with the AC full blast.

I'll get up early and run tomorrow a.m.
Parent - By mrbill [us] Date 2006-08-09 5:42 PM
4 hilly miles this morning followed by more physical therapy :wink:

http://onemoremile.net
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Wild, Wild WEDNESDAY