Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Goal Tri Report
- - By sleauxmeauxshun [us] Date 2006-08-08 3:32 PM
I just started trying to tri this year.  I've been running about 4 yrs. and got hooked on the idea of doing a tri while volunteering at a local tri.
I had 3 goals this year before I turn 40,
1. Run a marathon   --- did it, Houston 4:39:03
2. Break 24 minutes at our largest local 5k race Firecracker 5K  --- did it, 22:39
3. RIVER CITIES TRIATHLON  (sprint distance: 1/2m swim - 18.2m bike - 5k run)

My goal was River Cities Triathlon in Shreveport LA.  After running Houston & PR the 5k, my next goal was RCT.
We have a local tri club in town & they are a great bunch of people, lots of support.  We did some small training tri's in May then my first open water sprint in Jefferson TX. in July. (1:39:12 overall time)

My wife is my training partner, this is her first attempt at tri's also and we actually purchased bikes last October just for cross training purposes no real idea it would turn into tri training frenzy.  We've been training like mad and were ready for the big goal race at RTC.

Wednesday morn. before the race on Sunday, I woke up stopped up, scratchy sore throat, congested & body aches.  I haven't been sick or hurt in a year, why 5 days before the race?  By Saturday night at the carb load dinner and after big dose of celestone & B12, I actually was feeling worse.  When I went to bed that night I really didn't know if I was even going to be able to do the race.
I woke up race morning, having not slept very well, and decided to trudge on.  I had trained practically all year for this race.  I figured what the hell.
The swim was a little tough, couldn't breath well due to congestion and hyperventilated(sp?) a couple of times, but I mad it on through.
However, my bike time was my best ride all year long (51:33).  During training and riding the course I had only been able to ride it in 53:07 so needless to say I was very happy with my bike time.
The run was ok, I began to feel the effects of the heat & "funk" going on in my chest & sinuses but I again trudged on to finish at 26:09.
Overall finish time 1:42:39.  I think I'm addicted.

Next up DEGRAY SPRINT TRIATHLON August 20.
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-08-08 3:37 PM
Great work!!!  Careful they're addictive!
Parent - By sleauxmeauxshun [us] Date 2006-08-08 3:43 PM
Thanks, dd
Yes they are.
Parent - By Ankah Date 2006-08-11 7:44 AM
Nice job! Welcome to the sport!:happy:
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2006-08-19 8:44 AM
Sounds like you did great. Congrats. I did my first tri earlier this August and have been looking for the next one ever since.
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Goal Tri Report