Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Race Report - Topeka Big Shunga 8K - a little long.
- - By keithlong_nm (elite kenyan) [us] Date 2006-08-08 7:48 AM
I ran this race last Saturday.  It was kind of a reunion of all the previous Topeka West High School cross country teams, but no real get together was planned except for the race.  This was mostly a cross country race on mowed grass trails across 3 adjoining parks, plus about a mile and a half on a concrete bike trail.

About 100 people showed up for the race which started in dripping humidity at 8 AM.  We lined up, got some last minute instructions, and were off.  This year's cross country team was running, along with their coaches, so they were immediately in the front as we transitioned from the grass to the bike trail.  I passed a couple of guys on the trail, and was about 10th as we hit the first mile marker in 6:04.  At this point, I could see the leaders about 150 meters in front and running well.  I tucked in behind another runner and stayed there for the next mile which we ran in 6:28.  Even though the grass was mowed, it was still a little hard to get good footing, spikes would have helped a lot. 

We crossed a bridge about 2.5 miles in, the back on the grass and up a fairly long hill.  I started up this hill in 8th place, and passed 2 guys here to get to 6th.  We went down the other side of the hill, turned around and came right back up, and I passed one more guy to get to 5th.  At the top of the hill, I got around all but the leader so was second as we started back down.  I was about 75 meters behind here, but was running well and felt good.  We hit the bottom of the hill and turned sharp left and I stepped in a hole and fell down!!  Fortunately, I just rolled over a couple of times and got back up and kept running, still in second place but barely.  I hit the mile 3 marker in 6:21. 

We went back onto the bike trail to cross a bridge, but the race volunteers had wrecked a golf cart on the bridge, so we just were able to squeeze by single file.  No big deal, I was still second by about 25 meters, and running ok after my wipe out.  Back we went to the grass for a bit then back on the concrete.  When I fell, I guess the strap that holds my glasses on came loose, so my glasses were bouncing around and I took them off to fix the strap.  Well, of course, I dropped the strap and had to go back and pick it up, then fumble around putting it on as I ran on.  Got that done with no further incident and looked up and saw I was only about 20 meters behind.  Here we hit the 4th mile in 6:12. 

Less than one mile left now, so I picked up the pace a little and started to close on the leader, whom I found out later, is one of the current XC team members.  I was a little worried about the 3rd place runner catching me, but looked back and he was not in sight.  The leader hit the last grassy stretch, about 1/4 mile from the finish, just a few meters ahead of me.  I felt good, and knew I had some speed left, but was wondering what he had.  I caught him about 100 meters out, and went by pretty easily.  He did not respond and I went on to win in 30:28, for a 5:21 last .96 miles.  Not a bad time, not particularly fast, but good enough to win.

Had a little time after for talking and remembering our high school days.  Talked to my old coach a little and enjoyed the day.  Not every day you can win a race, especially at my age, so I was pretty happy with the result.

thanks for reading
Keith
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-08 9:20 AM
Oh, Sweet!  I know that you are really fast, but I was afraid that all went bad when you fell in the hole.  I love it that you beat the kids! (I know that they were shocked!)  It sounds like you really held it together despite those mishaps.

Congratulations on a great performance (even if it doesn't sound so fast to you!) and your win.  What a way to celebrate a reunion!
Parent - - By camille2 [us] Date 2006-08-08 10:46 AM
Congratulations!!  You are really fast.  Sounds like a sweet win.

It seems I found the master's forum.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-08 3:48 PM
Great that you found the forum, Camille!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-09 5:18 AM
That is one fun race report to read.  You really hammered that last mile.  Congrats on the win.  I'm sure the current xc team would like to have you around more often for inspiration. 
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-09 6:12 AM
Holy cow!  A win after falling and replacing an eyeglass strap----against HS XC runner, too!  Awesome job showing up the young'uns!  : pbbt:

BTW you ran the 8K in my 5K time...:laugh:
Parent - - By camille2 [us] Date 2006-08-09 11:36 PM
BTW you ran the 8K in my 5K time...

Yankeebelle,
Glad i'm not the only one.  I did an 8k too, but I hate to even post my time-these guys are fast.  At least we're out there. 
  :grin:
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-10 6:16 AM
Ahhh.   These guys are great on here.  Once Kymoose waited around 2 hours (with his wife and kids!) for me to cross the finish line.  :hug:

My motto is  "I'm slow- but I'm having a good time."  :laugh:
Parent - By cattano [us] Date 2006-08-10 12:00 PM
Holy cow! Winning a race after having to stop and retrieve your glasses strap plus a golf cart wrecking on the bridge.
I'd say I'm impressed but that's be an understatement!:cool:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Race Report - Topeka Big Shunga 8K - a little long.