Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / (Special) SUNDAY
- - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-06 6:00 AM
It's special to me because I'm heading out to run my mile. Seems like such a pittance but I have to start somewhere.

More news later. Let's hear what you're up to this special day.
Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-06 6:44 AM
I ran my mile this morning. Everything felt good, but it always did while running. The next 2 days will tell the story.

I felt like a beginner out there but my HR was only about 8-10 bpm higher than pre-injury. I ran 8:55 with an AHR/MHR of 142/156. At that pace, normal numbers for me would have been 133/145.

Just going a mile seems like such a waste but I have to start somewhere. The doc said to only "run" a mile so I may run a half, walk a half, then repeat. That gives me 2 miles but only 1 mile of running.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-06 8:02 AM
Great job Ray!! Take it easy and come back strong!!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-06 8:05 AM
"Just going a mile seems like such a waste but I have to start somewhere."

Ray, celebrate your triumph.  I pray that on Tuesday you feel great and are ready to go 2 miles.  Way to go on getting out there.  I wouldn't read too much into the heart rate.  Too many variables in just one mile.  How much of it is just adrennaline?  You had to feel a little extra just getting out there.

Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-06 8:29 AM
Well, after 2 hours and 2 baskets of laundry, my lower back feels miserable. I'm not reading much into it yet as it may just need to adjust to the activity.

I think serious core work can help this. If not, it may be time to make the switch to biking. If that happens, I've already found my next goal event to set my sights on. Read about it here:

Those of you from Michigan may be familiar with it.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-06 10:16 AM
I hope that the rest of your day goes well, Ray.  Take it easy with the housework!!
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-06 10:34 AM
Ray I credit my every other day core w/o as a big part of my return to running.
Just don't over do in the core work. It too takes a gradual build up.

Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 12:16 PM
Hope the lower back pain was just a fluke, Ray.

Did you really enjoy that mile?!
Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-06 12:25 PM
Yes, I did. I felt like a runner again. Too bad the feeling was short lived. I'm not throwing in the towel just yet mind you, but I'm prepared to do whatever is best.

I have a physically strenuous job and I still want/need to work about another 10 years. I'd thought of truck driving as a fallback profession (I'm licensed and experienced) but the spine doc said drivers have even more problems than I have.

I'll wait and see how quick this pain goes away, then maybe try another mile.
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 12:28 PM
I would definitely think driving truck would give you huge problems in the back/hip area.

Glad you aren't throwing in the towel yet....maybe just go out and walk FAST for a half mile?
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-06 10:31 AM
Great Job Ray!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-06 1:08 PM
Nice going Ray. We all know the process of returning from an injury can be painfully slow. But your on your way. Celebrate!! Were with you all the way.
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-06 8:06 AM
The joys of running on a SOFT surface the day before - less aches and pains the next morning!  :)

Up at 5:00 a.m. today, out the door at 6:10 to help with a 10K clear on the other side of the city.  I checked people in and directed them to t-shirts, etc. 

I will get the youngest off to work, then load up the bike for a long ride before the oldest gets home.  We'll get the last of the college stuff today.

I think I may have inadvertently hurt my eardrum.  :(  The earplug in my left ear was wedged in so tight today, when I pulled it out it had alot of sunction behind it.  Now my ear is KILLING me!!  Hubby says not to put them in so far, but if I don't get them in very far, I can still hear everything!!  He's sleeping in another room tonight until this feels better.  Ouch!!  :cry:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-06 10:15 AM
Good grief, what a bummer.  Wearing earplugs to block out your husband's snoring and then hurting your ear!  I hope that it feels better soon.  Earaches can be wicked.

I wish I had soft surfaces to run on.   I've scouted high and low, but if they are not paved they are usually too unlevel and hard packed red clay around here.
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 12:17 PM
Earaches are the Worst, Michele:sad:.   Hope it feels better soon.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-06 8:07 AM
I ran a wonderful 90 minutes this morning.  It felt amazingly good, but good weather helps with that feeling. 

Fixed a big breakfast of scrapple and eggs, now off to church.   Maybe I'll smoke some ribs or piece of pig later today.

Tom in DE
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 12:17 PM
I vote ribs!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-06 1:11 PM
Way to go Tom!
Parent - - By Lori Andersen [us] Date 2006-08-06 10:24 AM Edited 2006-08-06 10:26 AM
6 miles for me this morning in the H&H... was shooting for 8, 6 of them tempo... ended up with 1 w/u, 3 tempo, and basically 2 c/d, since the last 2 were a bit more of a struggle. Finished up in 1:02. Ugh! Maybe this means Tombstone next week will be a GOOOOD race???? <fingers & toes crossed>! Feels good to have it done. :D

Ray ~ Glad you finally got out for that trial mile!! Let's see how you feel over the next day or two... sorry to hear your back is hurting afterwards. I am glad to see you have your riding plans in place. You sure have taken to it! If you don't know who Bill P is over in the Beginner's Forum... you may want to look him up. He ran for *many* years and, due to injury, switched over to biking. He still hangs out there and gives his ride reports. He is a wonderful guy with tons of experience in both running and riding. He would be a great one for you to talk with as he has 'been there' through soooo many struggles with the running and, in the end, fell in love with the cycling. I'll be looking for further updates. Rest well today now.

Michele ~ Hope your ear heals quickly!! Ouch! That would hurt! I'm enjoying reading your running and riding adventures. You sure are getting around!

Tom ~ You certainly are getting in some great runs lately and that is so good to read!! :cool:

Have a wonderful Sunday, Friends!! :hug:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-06 11:11 AM

Did I miss a post about the new job?   How's it going.

Parent - By Lori Andersen [us] Date 2006-08-06 3:17 PM Edited 2006-08-06 3:21 PM
Nope, you didn't miss anything, Tom. I have hardly had time to peek in this week due to also having a puppy-sitting job before and after work. The new job is going very well... I was on Info Overload quite a few times since there is soooo much to learn, with the computer program as well as the system of how things work in being able to help the families... It will probably be a year before I feel somewhat settled in this position. I have only about 20 families, half the size I thought I'd have. Come to find out, 15 of them are Spanish speaking Only... and I know very little spanish. I have a Case Aide who will assist me with all the interpreting so things will take longer to accomplish. Anyway, excellent support, encouragement and training by co-workers after Week One and my boss really likes me, I'm told. By Day 3, she was allowing me to work 8:30-5pm (rather than 8-5) by shortening my lunch to a half hour so that I have more time in the mornings to RUN. :cool: Usually, that happens after 6 months of probation. So, I'm On A Rollllllll and very much appreciating having this job !! :D

Now, on the other hand, I'm reminded of just how quick weekends fly by!  : pbbt:
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-06 11:12 AM
Sunday means a rest day for me. 
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 12:14 PM
4 easy miles with DH this morning.  It was already hot and humid, but we got them done.

Later we are off to the pool that our son manages.  We wanna see how bad we can embarrass him in our swimming attire.  Maybe we will put on a little PDA....hmmmm!  This should be fun.  DH can still do a gainer, so I'm sure he'll have to show off and do that....just to stir the pot a bit :evil: .  Ah....the simple pleasure of torturing your children!
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-06 12:45 PM
Yep, torturing the children - isn't it fun!!  :evil:

The H&H is back with a vengeance around here too!
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 12:47 PM
Yep, they had their years of torturing us.....this is just a little payback :wink:.

And, your H&H is 10 times worse than mine, I'm afraid :sad:.  Stay safe.
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-06 1:10 PM
yep! Isn't it fun though.:laugh:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-06 2:07 PM
What's a gainer? Oh and didn't you torture the kids while they were growing as well? Hope you enjoyed today's torture.
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-06 3:54 PM
A gainer is a reverse summersault of sorts.  You go off the board forward and flip backwards....kinda, sorta.

And yes, we did torture the kids as they grew up.  We had to, it was us against them.

Did make it to the pool.  Didn't bother DS at all.....sucked all of the fun right out of the day : pbbt:.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-06 4:17 PM
Darn!  It would have been much more fun if he had been embarrassed!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-06 12:47 PM
Went out for a long bike ride and got 18.2 miles in.  It was windy on the way back - whew!!  I also completely forgot about sunscreen - doh!!  #1 son and I are now leaving to find lineman gloves and assorted other sundries.

What a day!
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-06 1:17 PM
I had a hard time prying the coffee cup from my hand this morning but once it let me go I headed out for a very hilly 8.5 miles. I only took one bottle with me :wtf:. I must have had a brain cramp or something because it was a lot warmer then I anticipated and I ended up dodging into a car wash to use their water fountain to refill the bottle. Lesson learned.
Have a great day everyone! Run safe.
Parent - By jhfenton [us] Date 2006-08-07 7:52 AM
Great job, Ray. I'm glad to see you're back on the road. I have my fingers crossed that your return to running goes smoothly.

Up Topic Communities / Masters / (Special) SUNDAY