Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Favorites on Friday (daily)
- - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-04 5:08 AM
It's mid summer and produce is plentiful.  What is your favorite LOCAL produce?  

And tell us about your Friday run or activities.  Fox 5 Friday, Rob?  We look forward to hearing from the TV star.

Tom
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-04 5:16 AM
What Front????  They said today would be better.  At 6 AM it was still 81 and yucky air.  But I couldn't face the forum with another wimp out, so I ran about 50 minutes.  It was OK.  Maybe the better air will get here later today or tomorrow or September.

We do enjoy local produce here.  Unfortunately it seems mostlly they are raising 2x4s and plywood in Delaware.  All the farm fields are turning into housing developments. What will our grandchildren eat?     My favorite is fresh white corn on the cob.

Tom in DE
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 7:52 AM
The farms here in my part of Ky. are also raising housing developments.  I used to think I lived in the country, but not anymore. 
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 8:24 AM
:laugh:  Omigosh- my subdivision is Silver Lake Farm- it used to be a horse farm! 
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:05 AM
Hello Tom and my Masters friends:grin:

I got in another easy 5 miles this morning. Hot (80*) and Humid (82%) but an enjoyable run with my buddy Ray just the same:cool:

Tom I love fresh local produce! Favorites are vine ripened tomatoes and corn on the cob:hug:
I have about 20-22 tomatoe plants in my garden that are taking a beating in this heat:sad:
Still there is enough to give to neighbors.

Last weekend at Edisto we had home made tomatoe pie, fresh corn on the cob and fresh local seafood:hug:
I can hardley wait to go back for more:cool:

BobS
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 8:12 AM
Tomato pie sounds like something I would like!!  Great job on the run!
Parent - - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-04 9:48 AM
About 5 big tomatos....slice, salt and leave in colander for about 20 min to drain
blind bake pie crust for about 15 min
layer tomatos, mayo and cheese....repeat...
bake at 350 till bubbly and golden

allow to cool before serving

BobS
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-08-04 11:17 AM
:wink:That sounds great! I'll give it a go and I'll leave the sardines off
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 11:55 AM
Yum - thanks!!  The tomatos are just getting ripe around here.  Pretty soon we'll be bringing home bags of "free" stuff from friends!  :hug:
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:33 AM
Good morning Tom and all.  I would have to agree with you on fresh corn being my favorite too.  Since I'm here in Michigan, I guess it should be cherries, but I still choose corn.  (Michigan produces 20% of the country's cherries.)

Since I skipped yesterday's workout on weights, and since I got plenty of help setting up chairs at church last night, I went to the basement to do my workout today (on my usual rest day).  But I just couldn't get into to it.  I did a little stretching, some ab stuff, a couple exercises with the weights and then called it quits. 

Yesterday, I got a call from my biggest client.  The new rules from on high are, "No contractor can work for more than 12 months".  I've been self-employed for 11 years and I do anywhere from 50% - 90% of my work per year for this one client.  So now what do I do?  That's a big gap to fill.  One option is to sign-on as a regular employee with them and still be allowed to work remotely, but salary could be an issue.  I doubt they can pay me as much as an employee as they do as a contractor.  (I probably shouldn't worry too much about that until I have the facts.)  And then what do a I do about other possible clients?  I can't tell my "employer" that I'll be gone for a month working for someone else.

What a mess.  And it's all my fault.  I knew a day like this would come eventually but I never got around to diversifying myself to handle it.  I've had 5 years up here in Michigan to build a client base like I use to have in West Virginia, but I took the easy way stuck with the one big place.  It's so much easier doing what you know best than drumming up a bunch of new work.

On the other hand, I know I have a job if that's the way I go.  And in that respect I am better off than a lot of people in Michigan where the auto industry layoffs continue to happen and spread around to so many other businesses.
Parent - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:49 AM
Dave, just like we can become comfortable with 3 miles a day, you keep pushing for more and more miles.  I know that you will find yourself in the right place with the job.  You've got what it takes inside of you.  Good luck.

Tom
Parent - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-08-04 8:11 AM
I hear you Dave, I have been battleing with the same IT 'Contractor" woes for over 7 years. I finally was forced to work strictly at the client-site in Detroit when I live in Lansing....yuck, 208 miles a day to work.  The alternative though is unemployment.:shocker!:

Hang in there Dave, perhaps working from the client site will be better than you think, just one word of advice, stay away from company politics and never trust management..remember, we are expendable 'Contractors' unlike employees who are safer.

Now isn't this a happy conversation.  Cheer up , it pays the bills!!!!:grin:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 8:12 AM
One door closes, another one opens.  Stay positive - things will work out!  Glad to see you had plenty of help doing the chairs last night!
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:39 PM
Hang in there, Dave.  These things have a way of working themselves out....sometimes they even work out better that we expect.  Sending positive thoughts your way!
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 6:35 AM
:laugh:   The biggest locally grown crop here is burley tobacco- no thanks!  :laugh:   We are always happy to see local corn here at our farmer's market.  We eat it until we are sick of it. 

Only a few miles planned for today. 
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 7:54 AM
Don't you keep a spit cup by your ironing board?  :laugh:  That's how the women do it in the "mountains" of eastern Ky.
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 8:25 AM
:shocker!:    Ewwwwwww! 
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:37 AM
Good morning everyone! A rest day for me. I need it. Today is the first day on the job at Aquahab. My personal training career begins.
Today will likely be a lot of just getting familar with the facility, other employees Etc. A fellow classmate and I were hired and this is like an internship, I guess you would call it. A little jittery about a new career, but that's normal. I'm keeping the hotel job for the time being.
Well, I'm off. Have a great day folks. Run safe out there.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 7:56 AM
That sounds exciting Ron.  Hope your day is (was) a great one.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 8:11 AM
Have fun at the new job!! 
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 8:26 AM
:grin:   You'll do great! 
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:51 AM
How exciting, Rob!!!  Yes, totally normal to be jittery. :)
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:40 PM
Happy New Job!  You will be an Excellent personal trainer:hug:.
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-04 9:51 PM
Made it through the first day. Lot's of orientation matters as I suspected. But did get some instruction time in the gym. Clients ranged from a 17 year old  to a 97 year old woman. Yep! ninety seven.: shocked:
Thansk for all the well wishes and support guys. Your the best!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:44 AM
BREAKING NEWS:

Go to :  http://www.myfoxdc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=342515&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.1.1

myfoxdc.com   go to news, then to special reports.

You can watch Rob and his family on the Fox 5 web site.  Really neat to see somebody and their family that you only know in electrons.   Way to go!!!!  I'm even more impressed now. 

Tom
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-08-04 7:01 AM
That's pretty cool.  Back in my parents' generation, 10 kids wouldn't have made the news, but the times have changed.  I don't think I know anyone with more than 5.

It looks like a great place to grow-up. 
Parent - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-08-04 7:45 AM
WAY cool.........Rob, you have a great looking Family and your Wife is a Saint!!!!

You and your Wife have done well with all the children and both of you deserve a medals and a BREAK. 

Very proud of all 12 of you!!!::happy:
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-04 9:53 PM
What a great family! As my wife is one of ten I'll have to have her watch it. I'm sure it will bring back some memories for her years growing up too.
Parent - - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-08-04 7:36 AM
I ran a nice 7 miler yesterday in the much anticipated 70 degree weather but the humidity was 100%. Hey, not a problem considering the day before it was 97 degrees.

The 70 degree temps are a very welcome change to the last couple weeks. I just hope everyone in the country can enjoy the same relief.

Slated to run another 7 miler today, 5 miles on Saturday and a step back 9 miler on Sunday. Starting next week, the mileage game jumps significantly.

Run well, run safe Friends
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 8:11 AM
Great mileage Jerry!  Glad to see you are feeling good!  :cool:
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 8:02 AM
Hi Tom.  I agree with you...what front?  I thought it would be cooler for me this morning since I had a long run planned.  But, NOOOO.  It was still sticky, icky hot.  By mile 2 I was sweating hard so figured I would just keep the pace much slower than normal.  The hot temps. never affected me really but I was running at first light so not the hottest part of the day.  I finished 20 miles this morning at a 8:04 avg pace so I'll take it.  I ran long today instead of the usual Saturday morning because tomorrow our church is having a Men's Day outing.  And where do men go for an outing?  The mall?  To sip diet cokes at the local cafe?  To a MLB game that's where.:cool:  We'll make the drive to Cincinnati in the morning to catch the Red vs. Braves.  I haven't been to a MLB game since I was a kid and this will be my son's first so should be fun. 

Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 8:10 AM
Sounds like a great day for you and your little man!  :)  Good job on the 20 - the weather will now be perfect for the game!  :cool:
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 8:27 AM
How fun!  Have a great time...
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:53 AM
Aw, your son's first?  What a special day for both of you!

Good job on the run!
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:43 PM
I don't know, Moose.  The mall is an awful close second.....:wink:
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-08-04 8:05 AM
The news show was on Yesterday. I posted the detials in a seperate topic.

Got home from work at 3 yesterday and decided to go biking. It was 101 out with a heat index of 107. Went 20 miles and it was brutal. I ran 7.5 miles this morning with 4 miles at tempo pace.
Sam and the kids went to the beach for the day, Fenwick De. So I'll have the afternoon to myself and will bike with some friends.
It's still sticky and hot here too but only supposed to be around 93 today, I guess that's better.

Have a great weekend gang
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 8:16 AM
Yoga last night, then watched "Glory Road" - great movie!

Fat burning workout this morning, maybe a hike tonight.  We hardly see our oldest as he prepares to leave for college by spending all of his time with friends, and the youngest is never around since he got his license.  We thought we (just me & Bob) might go camping tonight at Hitchcock, since the kids seem to be OK on their own!  :laugh:  Haven't gone in years, so we'll see.

My leg/hip is bothering me right now, seems to be a cyclical thing.  Hope it feels better by tomorrow for my long run!!  9-10 is on tap . . . hope the weather cooperates this time!

Homegrown tomatos, sweet corn and zucchinis are my favorites!  BLT's are a big thing at our house these days - love them!
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 8:33 AM
I love BLT's.  So does Molly, hmmmm, maybe a good thing for tonight.

We just registered her in public school today.  She's really excited and can't wait.  When she saw the individual lockers and the back-to-school dance scheduled in a few weeks and the 8th grade wing and the renovated gymnasium she was literally skipping in the hall. It's good to see her this happy about a new school.   :hug:

(I have to admit I'm going to miss her bible-based curriculum and small clasrooms, but I still think this will be a good transition year for her before the big HS next fall.)
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:04 PM
It sounds like Molly is off to a good start. :)  Griffin starts middle school (6th grade) in September.  Wonder if they have school dances . . . I hadn't even thought of that.  :shocker!: Can't believe I forgot that those dances made middle school tolerable!
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:45 PM
Good luck with your long run, tomorrow, Michele.

BLT's are awesome....have you ever had a Swiss Cheese and Tomato sandwich...mmmmm.....
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-04 9:56 PM
Since my son started driving he is never home either Michele. We stay in touch by cell phone some days.
Good luck with the run.  I hope the leg/hip calms down.
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-08-04 10:20 AM
I ran 2 miles last night - "just because".  Then this morning in temps 20 degrees lower than yesterday I did a 6 miler while the rest of the world was going to work.  I took the day off...remind me not to start my run at 7:45...boy are the roads crowded.

There's a very intimidating hill 2.5 miles from home. Today's plan was to slog out there, charge the hill, and cruise back.  Mission accomplished!

Oh, and the day off you ask....Class of 77- 29th anniversary girls only weekend!!!  I leave in about 2 hours.  6 gals, one condo, one pool, one blender, and an endless supply of strawberries for the margaritas.
Yes, I'm taking the running shoes, I'll get 5 in Sunday morning before any of them are even thinking about getting up.

Have a great weekend all!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 11:56 AM
Sounds like a fun time will be had by all!!  Good job on the hill!  :cool:
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:57 AM
Have a fun weekend with the women!  That's pretty neat you've kept in touch with them.
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:47 PM
I'm a Class of '77, too!  Have a Great Weekend!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-04 1:08 PM
Me too!!  30th class reunion next year . . . :evil:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-08-04 11:19 AM
Hey everyone. I'm back. I haven't run since last Sat morning. Just not into it. I'll get out there tomorrow though as I have a plan that hopefully hasn't been shot through with a bunch of holes. Anyway, thanks for all the kind comments. I really appreciate them.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:36 AM
Welcome back Jen!! You're running the Annapolis 10 miler? I have always wanted to do that one but it's a bad time of year for me--one of these years I have to do it beign my parents are right there.

I'm sure you'll be fine. You always shine!!
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:47 PM
:hug: Hey, Jen.  Welcome home.
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:34 AM
I feel like such a wimp reading about all your running :sad: I run 3 miles here and I am just melting away. I run a half mile and I am just soaked in sweat :cry: sweat drips into my eyes and it burns :cry: I'm attacked by the biggest freaking bugs I've ever seen...need I say more??

They said it was supposed to be cooler today--yeah well they lied!!! I didn't run yesterday because I have been getting such awful headaches that I know are from the heat. But the weather was supposed to be so much cooler today I went out for a run. What liars!!! I checked the weather and it was 85* at freaking 6:45 in the morning .... that is just WRONG!!! GARRRRRRRRRRR.

After yesterday I needed a run...it was just one of those a days from hell.

And now I have a righteous headache :cry::sad::cry:

Ok I am over it I just had to complain...

Favorite produce: I would have to say silver queen corn...yummm. And I love, love, love :hug::hug: nectarines (although I havent' found any good ones yet)
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:59 AM
If I was running in that muck, I'd be complaining too!  Hang in there.  Your awful weather can't last much longer . . .
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:49 PM
Hang in there, Deb.....snow is surely just around the corner :cool:.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 1:10 PM
I hear you on the heat wave Deb.  I'm so looking forward to running with gloves and tights.:shocker!:

The other day I finished running and was covered with bugs.:meh:  This morning one flew in my mouth around mile 18 and I just chased it down with a shot of gatorade.:meh:  Hang in there, Fall's a coming.
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 1:27 PM
Ewwwww with the Gatorade Chaser :shocker!:

Think that's the second Ewwww you've gotten today, Moose!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:23 PM
My second ewwwww!  If I get a third one today y'all may kick me off the forums.:laugh:
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 11:50 AM Edited 2006-08-04 11:54 AM
Favorite local produce are blueberries!!!!!!  I eat them by the handfuls daily this time of year.  And you've never had cherries until you've had Rainier cherries. :x

Luka and I got out for a quick 5-ish this a.m.  My son is at camp this week until Monday on nearby Vashon Island and daughter at a drama camp at Seattle Children's Theatre at the Seattle Center.  I promised when I picked her up today that we'd go over to the Seattle Center amusement park area and play some games and go on some rides.   We've stopped for ice cream every day on our drive home.  Another gorgeous sunny 70s day here and more of the same this weekend.  20 miles on tap for tomorrow.

Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-04 11:57 AM
We're a long way from the 70's here.  Ice-cream with her Mom every day...Maeve must be having a good week!  :hug:
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:00 PM
You got that right -- and even better since her brother left and she has Mom and Dad all to her self! :laugh:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 1:15 PM
Sunny, 70's, ice cream and games...sounds like a realy winner.  Enjoy.

BTW, I thought of you this morning. I heard on the news that some earthquake tremors hit the Seattle area Tuesday night.  Did you feel it?
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 12:35 PM
Good Morning.....I mean Afternoon, Masters!

10 for me this morning.  Wind was sraight out of the south and wicked, so I fought it for the first half of the run.  But coming home, with the wind at my back....was Nice!

Favorite produce is corn and tomatoes.  I could live on nothing but those two things. 

Have a Great Weekend....all!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 1:16 PM
Nice run in the wicked wind. Speaking of wicked, when does school start for you?  Kids are back in action on Tuesday for me.
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-04 1:29 PM
I have (stupid) meetings on the 15th and 16...they have another set up for the 18th that I can't make (darn!).  Then, we start the 21st...kids on the 24th, I think.

When did you get out?  April : pbbt:?!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-04 6:27 PM
I did the stupid meeting thing this past week.  At least they fed us some pretty good grub. 

And, NO, we didn't get out in April:grin:...we got out the Friday before Memorial Day.  Gosh, we used to start back the 3rd/4th week of August.  Ever since Ky. started this big testing thing and trying to catch up academically with the rest of the nation, we don't want to lose any knowledge over a long(er) summer.: pbbt:

Enjoy your two more weeks of being childless.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Favorites on Friday (daily)