Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Encouraging news from Doctor
- - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-02 6:29 PM
He said I can resume running, as long as I use good sense. His suggestion was to start with an easy mile a few times a week but absolutely STOP if leg or groin pain return. His suggested time frame before the next attempt, should pain return, was 6 weeks. He still insists that if I heal properly, I won't be totally "well" for 6-12 months. I asked if I might aggravate things by trying to run. His reply was "maybe, but you could also do it while sitting around". I'm excited at the promise of being a runner again but I have to keep my good sense about me.

He said that by the looks of the xrays, surgery wouldn't be necessary, at least not now. He also told me that if running does cause pains but I can function normally by not running, he wouldn't consider surgery soley for the purpose of me returning to competitive racing. That's fair enough.
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-02 6:43 PM
That all sounds promising and good Ray.  So, what is your plan?  Run a few miles every other day?  Mix walking with running?  I have my fingers and toes crossed for you.
Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-02 7:03 PM
Well, we have a vacation planned for the 3rd week in August at our cabin in the U.P. of Michigan. I was counting on some good bike riding on the flat land up there. I always enjoy our trips up there as it's flat country and a welcome break from the heat & hills of Ky.

I think I may hold off until September to lay out a game plan. I will try a one mile run this weekend and see what happens. If all is well, I may do a few more next week.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-08-02 7:27 PM
Sounds like great news Ray.   But does Crazy Ray really have good sense? :wink:

Be smart my friend, I wish you well, you've done well on that bike.

Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-02 7:41 PM
I think I can find some real quick. I've grown to like the bike and the challenges it offers. Should the running prove to be viable, I'll probably be a duathlete.
Parent - - By MarcRunsSlow [us] Date 2006-08-02 8:04 PM
That's great new Ray. <<Clapping>> :happy:

I know you'll behave! :wink:
Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-02 8:15 PM
At this point (and age) I don't have a choice. It's time to grow up just a little and do the best thing. :wink:
Parent - By Lori Andersen [us] Date 2006-08-02 9:04 PM
That IS Encouraging News, Ray!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

I'm not worried.... you have LOTS of good sense! :hug: I'll be looking forward to updates as you test the waters.

Best wishes for lots more continued healing!!!
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-08-03 3:30 AM
I like the sound of that Ray!
Take it slow and easy my CRAZY friend:happy:

Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-03 4:42 AM
:grin:   That is great news!!! 
Parent - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-08-03 9:34 AM
Awesome News, Ray!  Good Sense to a runner could mean a number of different things, IMO :wink:.  Take it easy, take it slow.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-03 9:35 AM
Hey Ray, that is great!  It is so smart that you've stuck with the bike, too, and have learned to enjoy it so much.  Good luck with the return to running, but, as all have said, take it slow - better a bit more time off now than 6-12 months off in the future.
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-03 4:47 PM
Good news, Ray!

:)  This sockeye says -- er, said -- "yippy skippy" too. (saw your post back to me on Sunday.  My son's first salmon.  Tasted mighty fine).

Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-08-05 4:26 AM
What a fish ..... I can smell it grilling now :laugh:
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-08-05 7:09 AM
What great news Ray. It's glad to hear you will get back out there a little. Easy does it!
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Encouraging news from Doctor