Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / TriTrainers -Upcoming races
- - By Photocat [us] Date 2006-06-26 11:16 AM
I'll start!

Name -Acworth Women's Sprint Tri
Distances -400y, 13m, 3.1m :shocker!:
Date -08/13/06 (Also my birthday!) :grin:
Goal -Sub 2 hours and to beat last years time of 1:57. I have a new bike so that might help but then I'm having a rough time with training so we'll see. The run will probably be the worst part after running 13 miles. Last year it was horribly slow. Luckily I've got another 7.5 weeks.

Who else?
Parent - By DaffodilRunner Date 2006-06-26 11:58 AM
Name -Peterborough Sprint Triathlon
Distances -750 m, 20 km, 5km
Date -07/09/06
Goal - sub 1:30.  I'd love to go sub 1:25 and beat my time from last year, but I don't think my run is there right now.  My bike and swim are great, but the run not so much.

Name - Guelph Lake 2 Olympic Triathlon
Distances - 1.5 km, 40 km, 10 km
Date - 09/03/06
Goal - Finish?  Ideally I'd love to go under 3:00 but we'll have to wait and see how the run comes along over the summer.  This will be my first oly tri.  I wouldn't let myself do an oly until I got under 1:30 on a sprint.  Last year in peterborough I surprised the heck out of myself with a 1:25:30 finish but was also in marathon training so no room for an oly then.
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-06-26 11:58 AM
A great way to spend a birthday!
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2006-06-26 1:03 PM
Yeah, last year it was the day AFTER my 30th birthday! It was just a great way to start my 30's so I thought I'd do it again. This year it is on my birthday. Which is better as last year I had to wait a day to party!:grin:
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2006-06-26 2:11 PM
Name -The Vermont Journey Half
Distances 1.2 mi. swim, 56 mi. bike, 13.1 mi. run
Date -08/27/06
Goal - It's my first tri, so I have no idea what to expect. If I can bike well, somewhere under 5:30 would be cool. B-)
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2006-06-26 2:27 PM
Wow, first tri is a HIM???  I'm in awe!  good luck.  5:30 would be a pretty fantastic time too!
Parent - - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2006-06-26 6:37 PM
Yeah, I figured I'd pick a race that would completely kill me so I wouldn't ever want to do a triathlon again ;)
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-06-26 8:02 PM
:shocker!: I suppose that's one way to go about it...
Parent - - By Photocat [us] Date 2006-06-27 9:22 AM
Is HIM half ironman?:wtf:
Parent - By DaffodilRunner Date 2006-06-27 9:46 AM
Yep... sorry for the confusion :)
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-06-26 4:33 PM
Okay this is my first:

Texas Tech Sprint Triathlon
400 yard swim, 11 mile bike, 2.3 mile run
Sometime in September (date hasn't been anounced yet)

I did the running leg last September and that's when I got hooked on this notion. Been slowly building my training base ever since (I am old--I don't do anything fast...)

After that, I'd like to find a couple more sprints and maybe over the next year or two build to an Oly.
Parent - By n3103f Date 2006-06-27 2:40 PM
Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to pop over to the pool to do that one.  Hopefully, the date won't interfere with the Clarence Demar marathon (Sept. 24.)
Parent - By WaterDog66 [us] Date 2006-06-27 10:31 AM
Name - Carpinteria Triathon (Also USAT Olympic Grand Prix Regionals)
Distance - Olympic (1.5km, 40km, 10km)
Date - 09/24/2006 (40th Birthday is the following Day)
Goal - Sub - 2:45

This will be my 3rd year doing this race on my birthday. (It was my first Triathlon)

Also hoping to continue base building for Oceanside Half IM next March.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2006-06-27 12:16 PM
I haven't committed to this yet but its on the horizon.

Name - Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon
Distances - 750m, 20K, 5K
Date - Oct. 1, 2006
Goal - Beat my time from last year (1:23) and be injury free.  Also try to win the swim portion as this race gives prizes for the fastest time for each discipline in addition to the normal prizes.
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-06-27 1:46 PM
Name -IronGirl, Las Colinas (Sprint)
Distances -500y, 20m, 5k
Date -07/23/06
Goal - 2:00; likely to be between 2:00 and 2:10.  Depends on the piriformis isssssssues:mutmad:

: pbbt: *I'm slow*:happy:
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-06-27 4:32 PM Edited 2006-06-27 4:52 PM
n3103f just told me about this Irongirl sprint. It looks intriguing...I'm wondering if I could be ready for it...:wtf::meh:
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-06-28 9:00 AM
Where are you in your fitness & training?  Might depend on your expectations.  I'd like to do a tri in top shape, but really never have. 

This time, I'll be coming of piriformis treatment (hopefully), so I'll be trained on low miles all around & haven't really swum at all this year.  I set up a calendar yesterday to help me maximize what I can in the few weeks remaining.  I'll be happy to finish around my predicted time & without injury. 

I worry more about each piece than I do about transitions.  I'm not good enough to worry about transitions.:laugh::wink:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2006-06-28 9:14 AM
Gidget I am considering the Irongirl tri. Probably will finish dead last, but it should be fun way to get into tris. The swimming in a lake portion is a bit freaky, I am still a bit scared of deep water (which is anything more than 5 ft : pbbt:)

However there might be some work related travel around then, so I won't commit just yet. Do you know if gets full?
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-06-28 2:56 PM
Excellent!!!!

This is their inaugural year.  It runs on the ?:wtf:? Olympic Trials course? (whatever that means).  You can find info in the City Sports mag or on the City Sports website.

I'm planning to swim weekly in a pool, and on weekends at Lake Grapevine - to work on my open water acclimation.  I'll e' you if I REALLY go to the lake, feel free to join me.:grin:
Parent - - By n3103f Date 2006-06-28 3:22 PM
The web site is

http://www.irongirltexas.com

It's being put on by Mike and Marti Greer who are the same couple that put on Buffalo Springs Lake Tri (half Ironman,) Buffman and Squeaky (International,) and TriRaider (sprint.)  I can't tell you how impressed I was with the organization of BSLT.  I looked yesterday and there were only a couple hundred signed up for it and the cap is 2,000.  I'm guessing it won't fill, but the price goes up in a couple of weeks.  Oh, and I failed to mention that Mike is the acting director of USAT.

...and you'll understand this advice (with respect to your fear of open/deep water) to be meant in the kindest of ways:  Go jump in a lake. :wink:
Parent - - By indie [us] Date 2006-06-28 4:14 PM
Go jump in a lake.

:cry::cry::laugh:
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-06-29 9:27 AM
That was a good post by n3103f!

Okay - if 'n' when I head to the lake, I'll drop you a line.  FWIW, I was a life guard & taught Water Safety Instruction & Lifesaving.

Not that that should give you comfort - I mean c'mon - it's a Texas lake.  Who knows what kind of trees, homes, vehicles, appliances are in there!!!!!:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - - By n3103f Date 2006-06-29 9:31 AM
This is a terrible, but true story.  Last week, there was a powerboat race at Buffalo Springs.  One of the boats lost control and hit a guy on a jet ski, severing one of his legs.  As of the time of the race (BSLT) they had not yet found the leg.  So, as the Texas lakes things go, I'd rather bump into a tree or an appliance. :shocker!:
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-06-29 12:48 PM
Ewwwwww!!!!

I prefer oceans or rivers.  At least where I can see what or who is in the water with me.
Parent - By n3103f Date 2006-06-29 1:33 PM
Well said...
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-07 8:23 AM
REVISING my original post: the bike is 20k not 20m.

I hope to finish this as close to 90 minutes as possible.  [My estimate is 92:30.]
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-06-27 4:07 PM
Name -- Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Distances -- 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run
Date -- August 5, 2006
Goal -- I'd like to finish under 6 hours, which would be a small improvement over my only previous HIM.  I expect to be better on the bike but my running is nowhere near what it was last summer.  So, I will be surprised if I pull it off.

Name -- Ironman Florida
Distances -- 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run
Date -- November 4, 2006
Goal -- to finish AND not spend more than a couple hours cursing the day I was born
Parent - - By n3103f Date 2006-06-28 8:22 AM
Wow, will that be your first Ironman? 

Good luck at Steelhead.  I was hoping for sub-6 at BSLT, but the hills said otherwise.  I'm over the disappointment, though, and now seriously thinking about Wisconsin next year.  I'll be anxious to hear how your two races go.  I love how flat Florida is, but the timing is wrong for me (plus, I really don't like Florida very much. :laugh: )
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-06-28 4:11 PM
Yup my first IM.  I think I shoulda waited another year.  Oh well.  :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By terrythedrummer (i'mmm fvkcing tankeed d) [us] Date 2006-06-30 12:50 PM
You're such a fvckin baller. :x
Parent - - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2006-06-30 9:46 AM
Disco Tri, Lake Ray Roberts State Park: Johnson Branch Unit, TX
500y lake, 18mi, 5k
7/9/06
Goal -- show up, finish

River Cities Tri, Cypress Bayou, Shreveport/Bossier, LA
1/2mi lake, 18mi (?), 5k
8/6/06
Goal -- show up, finish

Texasman, Las Colinas, TX
sprint -- not sure of exact distances
9/??/06
Goal -- show up, finish
Parent - - By n3103f Date 2006-06-30 9:55 AM
I was just looking at Texasman - that looks to be a really nice event.  I especially like the idea of having the opportunity to do a swim and a bike with Dave Scott and Karen Smyers.  That would be very cool.  I would be (actually, I am) very tempted if it weren't for the fact that I have a marathon scheduled the following weekend.  On the other hand, it's just a sprint...

By the way, I like the consistency of your goals. :grin:
Parent - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2006-06-30 10:47 AM
If I meet these goals, it will be an improvement over last year.  :sad:

I think they moved Texaswoman to a different date (earlier) this year.  I haven't seen Smyers' name on anything -- but my work blocks sports related websites, so I haven't really tried to verify.

Isn't Texasman in the same area as the Irongirl tri that someone mentioned above?  I went riding around that area last weekend -- flat with some rolling hills and sparse traffic.  It was a good ride.
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-06-30 1:18 PM
Nice!  :hug:
Parent - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2006-06-30 1:56 PM
And I'm camping for two of them.  :grin:

I heard yesterday that there is a burn ban at the park where they are holding the Disco Tri.  Sooo -- no S'mores.  :(  No biggie, tho -- all I really need is hot water for my AM coffee.

You're brave to jump into an IM.  You'll jam for sure. :hug:
Parent - By Ankah Date 2006-06-30 3:11 PM
Evergreen Tri
July 22
Oly Distance in my home town!
Goal: Beat last year's Oly PR of 2:43.

Pigman Half Ironman
August 20
Goal: Finish under 6:00.

Possibly another sprint August 5.
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / TriTrainers -Upcoming races