Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / 5 Things I Should Know About You
- - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-07-28 11:45 AM
I'm stealing this from L & O who stole it from the Women's Forum.  :laugh:

Tell me 5 things about yourself that's either interesting, fun, silly, strange, freaky, mildly amusing or just downright scary.
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-07-28 11:46 AM
1.  I  failed my driver's test twice...:blush: (The first time I bumped the car behind me when I was parallel parking!)

2.  I never eat my cereal with milk.  :meh:

3.  For some odd reason I check all my phones at home several times a day.  All of them.  Every day. (a little OCD, maybe?)

4.  We (my sisters and I) still call our father Daddy.  :hug:

5.  Roller coasters terrify me- I used to tell my kids I had a seizure disorder so I wouldn't have to take them to amusement parks.  I have since come clean and just tell them I'm terrified.  :shocker!:
Parent - By stillrunning (El Corredor) Date 2006-07-28 2:29 PM
5.  Roller coasters terrify me- I used to tell my kids I had a seizure disorder so I wouldn't have to take them to amusement parks.  I have since come clean and just tell them I'm terrified

Roller coasters used to terrify me when I was a kid. Later in life (late twenties) I started to like them. Soon afterwards, I got scared again. I just feel lucky that I have two kids and they can ride them together instead of asking Dad to ride with them.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-29 10:49 AM
#5 :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-07-31 7:53 AM
#2  At least your cereal stays crunchy.:grin:  I knew a girl in college who would pour coca-cola on her cereal.:shocker!:  When I first saw her do that I thought it was a mistake, that she was sleepy or something.  She said, nope I always eat it this way.
Parent - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-07-31 8:15 AM
#2 - I thought I was the only one who did that.
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-01 1:21 PM
My son is like that -- prefers his milk "on the side."
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-07-28 12:23 PM
You are so cute Dottie . . . :laugh:

1.  I can touch my nose with my tongue.  : pbbt:

2.  I had a motorcycle in high school. :cool:

3.  I drove to Missouri when I was 14, with my 16 year old sister.  What were my parents thinking!  :shocker!:

4.  I weighed 10 lb. 4 oz. when I was born.  Our oldest weighed 10 lb. 4 oz. when he was born!  :laugh:

5.  I spit on my 2nd grade teacher's shoe, just to see what color it would turn!  She didn't like me the rest of the year (wonder why).  :mischief:
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-07-28 12:28 PM
2.  Really?!?  How neat!  :grin:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-07-28 12:38 PM
Suzuki 380, blue, matching helmet.  However, it did NOT get me a boyfriend!  If my husband would let me, I'd have a motorcycle right now!! 
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-07-28 6:53 PM
My brother just bought a brand new mustang, convertible--fun ride..I was teasing him about it being a chick magnet. he said "no way, ...now my motorcycle...that IS a chick magnet"

His is  a Vulcan I'm thinking...he has so many toys I can't keep them straight. :laugh:
Parent - By cattano [us] Date 2006-07-29 7:09 AM
5. That is so funny!:laugh:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-29 10:51 AM
#2 were you the only girl with a motorcycle? Very cool. :cool:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-07-31 7:50 AM
#5  There's a little naughtiness in all of us.
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-01 1:22 PM
5.  :laugh::laugh::laugh:  Smart, inquisitive girl!  :hug:
Parent - - By cattano [us] Date 2006-07-28 12:57 PM
1. I'm the son of a pentacostal minister.

2. I'm a high school dropout who later earned a Master's Degree.

3. I once was arrested and spent a few hours in jail!:shocker!:

4. I'm the seventh of 8 children from my mother and 3 of 4 from my father.

5. I once co-hosted a radio sports talk show.
Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-07-28 6:32 PM
My late wife's father, uncle, brother, and 2 cousins are UPC ministers.

On the radio .... how cool. : pbbt:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-07-28 7:45 PM
2.  How cool is that!!  Way to go James!!
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-28 2:04 PM
1.  My specialty in high school track was the standing broad jump

2.  I lived in Panama in the 70's and owned a Panamanian Bush Pony named Gordito (little fatty) . I rode him
     across the Panama Canal and into the jungle where I was chased by a guy with a machete

3.  I was the only freshman cut from the high school cheerleading squad

4.  I Started running 3 years ago to show my daughter that someone was slower than she was. 
     (she got fast)

5.  I was a psychiatric home health nurse  and nursing educator for many years in an area that was
     devastated by Katrina.  Our family went for a visit 10 days before Katrina hit, and I had a spectacular
     run along the beach road that will never again be the same.
Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-07-28 6:33 PM
I was a psychiatric home health nurse 

Can we talk ......  :shocker!::shocker!:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-29 10:40 AM
:wink: sure...:laugh:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-07-28 7:44 PM
2.  OMIGOD!!!

5.  Wow . . . watching the news of the devastation must have been horrid for you!!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-29 10:43 AM
Yes, I didn't watch too much of it.  Both of my children went there with their college classmates for restoration work.  I also didn't watch very much of the September 11 coverage when it happened.  Too much sad input isn't good and watching things over and over again...no way that helps.
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-07-31 6:34 AM
2.  Thank goodness you got out of that one ok!
Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-07-28 6:28 PM
1. This is a confession of sorts. I probably drink enough beer in a week to hospitalize most people.

2. I'm extremely geeky (probably an OCD thing) about everything in it's place and maintaining cleanleness and order, whether it relates to my computer desk, my bedside table, my garage behind our house, or my shop at work.

3. My "always positive" attitude comes from many years of listening to motivational speakers, reading books written by successful people, and taking a few classes at (hang on to your hat) the Church of Scientology.

4. If I got to choose my ultimate "hot chick", to spend a dinner date (and more) with, I would choose my wife.

5. I once spent 4 hours in jail and wrecked a company vehicle while drunk. They were separate incidents and happened back in the early '80's.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-07-28 7:43 PM
Ray, a whole new side of you we've never seen before!  :laugh::hug::evil:

2. You'd go crazy in my house - I live with 3 guys who are just the OPPOSITE of you!!
Parent - - By cattano [us] Date 2006-07-29 7:11 AM
2. You and I could never be roomates Ray. We'd be like the Odd Couple!
Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-07-30 6:20 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I remember that show. I'm not quite as bad as Felix was.
Parent - By cattano [us] Date 2006-07-30 10:52 AM
I hope I'm not a bad as Oscar either!:laugh:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-29 10:44 AM
#4 - how very sweet!!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-07-28 8:17 PM
1.  I first met my wife Lynda in 5th grade

2.  I sailed across the Atlantic, New York to Rotterdam as an exchange student to Germany in 67.

3.  I failed HS Physics, now I teach it.

4.  I graduated from Virginia Military Institute, VMI.  Ours was the dumbest class in the history of the institute.

5.  I get motion sick real easy.  Thank goodness for dramamine.
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-07-29 5:21 AM
3. Now that is something to fun to know..:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By RBrauerei [us] Date 2006-07-30 11:38 AM
Tom, seems we might have a lot more in common...  I was an exchange student in Germany in 78
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-07-30 2:42 PM
#2.  I went to Italy as an exchange youth in '77!  Loved it!

#3.  I told my son this today at lunch.  The expression on his face was priceless!:laugh:
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-07-31 6:34 AM
3.  that is priceless....
Parent - - By fozrun [ca] Date 2006-07-29 5:41 AM
1. In HS I thought athletes were a bunch of losers and I smoked at least a pack a day of roll your own Drum.

2. I flunked grade 5 and was told throughout HS that I'd amount to nothing- I subsequently graduated near the top of my class in Uni and now have a Ph.D.

3. After my first 10K race I thought I should give up running as it was embarrassing to be passed by little old ladies.

4. I plan to retire in Australia with my loving Aussie wife (not sure what will happen to the kids!).

5. Most people think my toes are ugly as they're almost half the length of my fingers.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-07-29 10:53 AM
#2  How excellent!!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-07-30 2:45 PM
#1.  I was an athlete and STILL smoked!!  : pbbt:
#2.  Obviously alot of forumites here who persevered over challenges!
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-01 1:27 PM
2.  That is so cool, foz.

5.  I have long toes, too.  It's a family trademark. :grin:
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-07-29 6:27 AM
My wife was my former Philly P.D partner. :hug:

I hated running in H.S now I run marathons

I ran my first race at age 55

Started a Personal Trainer career at age 59.

Some of the most fantastic folks I have ever/never met reside in this forum.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-07-30 2:46 PM
You are my idol!  :hug:  I love the fact that you are starting a second "career" at age 59!!  That means there's hope for me yet!!
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-07-29 8:57 AM
(Sorry I can't think of 5 short things.....)

1. I grew up 5 miles south of Niagara Falls, spent a lot of time around the Falls, but I never got tired of it.  I've never been on the major tourist attraction, the Maid of the Mist boats that go up to the edge of the bottom of the Falls.  I spend most my time in the parks up and down the Niagara River on both sides (USA & Canada).  (I could spend a month there right now.)

2. I've always been an instigator of trouble but I never get caught.  As early as the 2nd or 3rd grade, my teacher told my parents that she thought I was behind a lot of things but never actually saw me do anything.

3. In high school, I ran cross country 4 years and track 2 years.  In all that time I won only one time.  It was the half mile race in a dual meet against Niagara Falls High.  I spent the whole race looking behind me trying to figure out what was going on. 

4. After my second year of college, a friend of mine who's family had moved to New Jersey convinced me to come get him and we would drive to Florida to find jobs and live.  I made it to NJ, but after a summer of working temp jobs, drinking heavily on the weekends along the shore, and waiting for him to get ready to go, I gave up and went back home. 

5. I hope I never run out of work.  I like computer programming and I don't want to retire.  If work runs out, my wife and I would like to become missionary support people in some far away country.  (We know one other older couple doing that in southeast Asia).
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-07-30 2:48 PM
1.  What a beautiful place to grow up!
3.  That's hilarious!  I was only allowed to run a race in track if they were guaranteed points!  : pbbt:
5.  Very cool!
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-07-30 7:18 PM
#2  Yeah I know kids like you.  I'm a teacher and your kind is always stirring up the pot.:laugh:
Parent - - By RBrauerei [us] Date 2006-07-30 11:36 AM
1. I was a member of a German cultural club in high school; I taught waltz and polka to younger kids for competitions :laugh:

2. I had a poem published in a school literary magazine; it was a love poem to a girl who didn't even know I liked her :mischief:

3. I'm living my childhood dream of being an Army officer; it's all I ever wanted to be :cool:

4. I had a ponytail in high school :shocker!:

5. I grabbed Princess Diana's butt and got away with it :evil:

There's a lot more, but it will have to be de-classified before I can post it... :wink:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-07-30 2:49 PM
Were you an army officer or just a guy with a ponytail when you grabbed Princess Diana's butt!  :evil: 
Parent - By RBrauerei [us] Date 2006-07-30 3:37 PM
I was already in the Army...  And of course, I was a gentleman. : pbbt:  She greatly appreciated it and even thanked me. :wink:
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-07-30 7:14 PM Edited 2006-07-30 7:21 PM
1.  My wife and I met on a blind date.  Four WEEKS later to the day we got married.  We just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary this year.  I would never advise my own kids to do this.: pbbt:

2.  I was terrible at sports as a kid--now I teach P.E.

3.  I did not go out for the high school track team as a freshman 'cause I didn't think I was good enough.  Tried out with the SPRINT team my sophomore year. :shocker!: My senior year I was setting school records in the distance events(which currently do NOT stand).

4.  In the 3rd grade I took bubble gum out of my mouth into my hand and got the gum stuck to my shirt when we were saying the Pledge of Allegiance.  That was first thing in the morning. The gum would not come off my shirt.   I kept my hand over the gum the entire school day so the teachers would not see and I wouldn't get in trouble for chewing gum.  The teachers never knew.   But when my mom found out...

5.  I have taught adult Sunday School at a Southern Baptist Church for 12 years and occasionally preach when needed.
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-07-31 6:37 AM
1.  How sweet-

4.  That is too funny-, nowadays kids could care less if they break rules or not....(it seems).

5.  I have been teaching children's SS for 7 years and ironically I've never been to an adult SS class...:shocker!:
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-07-31 6:58 AM
4.  That is too funny-, nowadays kids could care less if they break rules or not....(it seems).

Ain't that the truth?
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-01 1:23 PM
1.  Ah, a romantic!  (Both of you!) I love it! :) 
Parent - - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-08-01 6:27 AM Edited 2006-08-01 6:32 AM
OK, it's me, Hey, Ya'll remember me right?  FaithRunner...AKA Jerry?  ring any bells?  OK, I had to re-register as Faithrunner1 because I forgot my password and the registration email address is my AOL account and since I am at the officed I had to use my office email (Oh man I hope I don't get caught).

Anyway, with that said, I have been posting on the Runners World Masters forum but have been lurking around here.  You guys have way more fun than the Masters forum.  Anywho, I miss all you guys and then i find this thread and laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair.  I didn't realize all this information was from our "conservative masters group"...Oh, and Michelle.....We share a love of motorcycles!!!:hug:

Five things huh? Lets see now:

1. I used to own a Harley Davidson until a numb-nut almost ran me off a bridge over I-96 in Novi, Michigan in 1998.  I am currently looking at the purchase of another one!!
2. I used to be the former President of the Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners...a group who lobbyed and succeeded in bringing 2nd amendment rights to the state of Michigan and yes, Wayne LaPierre is a friend of mine.
3. My running clothes are better quality than my street clothes....Wanda is trying to change that.
4. My best friend in the world is actually my Wife Wanda.:hug:
5. I spend far to much time day-dreaming of winning the Michigan Mega-Millions lottery.
6. I asked my first grade teacher, Mrs Ross, to marry me, when I was in first grade. I plied her with my favorite Crayola's but she broke my heart and said NO....I was damaged goods from that point forward:cry:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-01 7:46 AM
:cool::cool::cool:

Motorcycles just make you feel . . . FREE.  Out of 5 girls, I was the only one my Dad taught how to ride.  The others didn't really have an interest.  When he got his Honda Goldwing many years ago, my husband and I went to visit and he let me drive it.  My husband was beside himself!  LOL!  Oh my . . . it was like driving a car, what a beautiful thing!  My parents had a matching trailer that they put a tent, chairs and a few changes of clothing and off they went, cross country, down the Pacific coast, Sturgis, exploring the U.S.  They sold the bike last year and my mom said my Dad cried when the new owners drove away.  He could no longer get his leg over (bad hip) and he'd tipped over a few times.  :sad:
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-01 8:23 AM
:hug:

#3.  Hilarious!  And true for me, too....:cry:
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-01 7:22 AM
I had a hard time thinking of five...yes I am a boring person : pbbt:

1. In high school I was considered and underacheiver, I didn't go to college until later in life now they call me an overachiever :wtf:

2. I hated running in high school. I did what ever I could to get out of running including forging notes from my mother :shocker!:

3. My son went off to college...my daughter went off to the military

4. I ran half marathons 5 of them .. to help get through the emotional roller coaster of my divorce.

5. I can touch my nose with my tongue. curl my tongue and balance a spoon on my nose...:laugh:
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-08-01 7:47 AM
3.  Wow!

5.  Nose touchers unite!  :laugh:
Parent - By Deb [us] Date 2006-08-01 8:05 AM
5. LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh: that is supposed to be a genetic thing, but I wonder. My daughter can do it but my son can't...all my sisters can but my  brother can't.
Parent - - By CPARUNNER Date 2006-08-01 8:39 AM
1. My wife and I were high school sweethearts, and will be celebrating our 34th wedding anniversary this year.
2. I passed the CPA exam the first time I took it. At that time (1989) only about 10% of the people taking the test did.
3. I currently have 3 tattoos and 1 pierced ear.
4. I started running in Sept 2000 at the age of 47.
5. I am planning on running 3 marathons 3 weeks in a row this fall.  10/22 - Chicago, 10/29 - Grand Rapids, 11/5 - NYC.  Why you ask...because I think I can and I want to!!!!
Parent - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-08-01 9:50 AM
Hey CPA Runner, I am also running the Grand Rapids marathon on October 29, 2006.  Perhaps we can sinc-up before the race for a greeting? 

3 marathons in 3 weeks.........Yowza:shocker!:

Go for it!!!:grin:
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-08-01 1:09 PM Edited 2006-08-01 1:25 PM
Okay, I'll (finally) bite. 

1.  I eat chocolate every day.  Not just once a day.  Several times.  I've been this way for as long as I can remember.  I gauge how sick I am by those (rare) days chocolate doesn't sound good to me.

2.  I went through a rather wild period when I lived for a year in Spain.  Picture this -- shy, slightly depressed college student goes to Spain and lets it all loose.  Hitchhiking, indulging in illegal drugs (just a teensy bit), much wine, flirtations. Yet I remember it as a time of wonderful growth and education (highlight being an art history class at the Prado Museum.)  At the end of the year, I was convinced I was in love with a young Greek man I knew only 10 days  (met in Corfu) and nearly had to be dragged to the ferry back to Spain (and then to the U.S.) by my very good friend who travelled with me.

3. Related to number two, I think I was depressed through much of my childhood and all of my teenage years. 

4.  I moved to Seattle having been here only once -- one day -- on a trip out west (with a former fiance).    Applied for, and received, a fellowship stipend, and off I came, knowing no one here. Shipped all my wordly possessions via UPS. Sasha and the cats flew with me.

5.  My siblings' nickname for me is "Biff."   My Dad has always called me "Mink". :hug:
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-01 1:31 PM
I'm glad you answered!  :grin:

#4.  How very brave of you. 
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-08-02 6:40 AM
#1  That's my wife!

#2  Consider it an education in culture.  Hmmm...kind of me going off to college: pbbt:

#4  I love it!!

#5  Family nicknames are fun.  My mom is the ONLY one who calls me Moose.  She has ever since I was a baby.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-02 7:51 AM
#4.  I love this.  I wish sometimes I could do it NOW!  :laugh:
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-08-02 6:27 AM
1. I got married at 17 the first time, had 3 children and divorced 9 years later.

2. At age 26, I became a part-time dancing Disco Queen!! Yep, I was a single Mom who spent ALL of my time with my kids until the weekend they were with their father and THEN I put on my dancing shoes, hit the Limelight disco in Atlanta and danced until they closed at 4 AM, then did it again the next night.....up on the speakers no less!!!

3. This goes along with #2.........I once danced with......now, DON'T laugh.....DAVID HASSELHOFF!! It was during his soap opera days! I also once danced with John Schneider (Dukes of Hazzard TV show).....I even kissed him on a bet, but THAT was another story!!

4. I met my husband Ray, while roller skating in my apartment parking lot with my best friend and my kids. The next morning he asked my kids if their Mom could come out to play, and we were married 6 months later!

5. This reformed 'Disco Queen', turned Southern Baptist Sunday School teacher got her first (andd only) tattoo at age 46. We were on a weekend outing in Helen, GA and I mentioned getting one, and my youngest son and Ray, laughed their butts off at the thought of ME, Miss Conservative MOM....getting a tattoo, so when they went rafting down the river......I GOT a Penquin tattoo!! Here in CT LOTS of women have tattoos, but in Duncan, SC I was the ONLY woman in our entire Church who had one!!!
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-08-02 6:35 AM
#4.  That's a neat story.

#5.  I bet I'm the only one at my church with a belly ring...:laugh:
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-08-02 7:24 AM
This is a great thread!  :laugh::laugh::laugh:  Makes my day.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-08-02 7:50 AM
#2.  I think that's pretty cool.  I bet it was a real workout too!!

#4.  That's sweet!!:hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / 5 Things I Should Know About You