Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / swimmer - painful to watch
- - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2007-03-14 11:18 AM
I kept my mouth shut, but it took all the restraint I could summon.  My first clue that something was up was when I easily passed the guy in the next lane.  You'd have to have a seriously deficient stroke to be slower than I am -- especially if you are a dude.  As I swam, I could hear his arms smacking the water.

When I finished, I sat on the edge of the pool and watched him.  He dragged his arms out of the water and then flopped them forward with his elbows bent at 90 degrees.  I think he could have taken of 10 seconds per length of the pool just by reaching a little further.  I was sorely tempted to critique his form whenever he came up for air, but I couldn't picture that going over well.

Have you ever given advice to a stranger at the pool?
Has anyone ever given you advice?
In either case, how did it go?
Parent - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2007-03-14 11:35 AM
I haven't been swimming long enough to even give solicited advice.  LOL!!!

No one unknown to me has ever offered swimming advice.  I keep hoping some mack daddy swim coach will come over one day and give me the tip that takes my swimming to the next level.  :grin:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2007-03-14 12:00 PM
Yes to both. 
Most of the time I've given advice it has been asked for.  Usually it stems from both of us being on the wall at the same time and them making a comment like "I wish I could do this or that" and then me making a suggestion.  I don't think I've ever gotten out of the water, watched someone, and then given them advice/critiqued their stroke.

I've received advice from strangers.  Depending on what it is, I will heed it.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2007-03-14 1:16 PM
No

and

Yes some longtime swimmer/coach gave me advice. still does sometimes. i really appreciated. but i could see where some people might get all snotty about it. but i welcome it.
Parent - By Nemo Date 2007-03-14 2:52 PM
LOL. That's how I am. If I'm easily passing you in the pool, you're really slow! :laugh:

How on earth is he bringing his elbows out and flopping arms over at 90 degrees? Is he sinking? Yikes.

No, never given advice to a stranger. I'm not an expert.

Yes. Sometimes it's welcomed, sometimes I want to tell them to STFU. ;)
Parent - - By Certifiable Date 2007-03-14 3:19 PM
I've solicited advice about swim technique, but never given any. I'm not qualified.

Are you implying that my arms shouldn't smack the water when they enter? :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2007-03-14 3:34 PM
Ummmm.  :roll:: pbbt::cry:
Parent - By Certifiable Date 2007-03-14 7:22 PM
Crap. No wonder I'm so slow. :cry:
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / swimmer - painful to watch