Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Mookie's Half IM
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2006-07-24 9:26 AM
First of all the race was a somber event in light of a well known triathlete and all around good guy being killed last Wednesday while training.  He was an 11 hour IM and a ski coach, riding his bike a car swerved across into the wrong lane and onto the shoulder. (Driver had a medical condition...very tragic) He was supposed to race with us Saturday.

My spring has been a training gong show with a long lasting cold, allergies and a quad muscle injury (from soccer). In light of the bad training I pleasantly surprised myself on a hot hot day. The swim was my worst of the 3 times I've done this event.  Previous 38 minutes, Saturday I was in at 45 minutes which is a direct result of less time in the pool.  The bike was hot but the best of my three times doing this event. Not sure why, but I felt good from the beginning and the hilly last 1/3rd crushed me a little but I was in around 3:20 which was 10 minutes faster than the previous best.

The run was hellish as temps moved to 86F-88F.  I took forever 2:34 compared to 2:03 last year but it was more than satisfactory for me.  I have the bigger race in August and took this race as something to get some confidence from.  I felt good after and sitting here typing have only a little soreness in my hip flexors.

Unfortunately we were all well grounded by perspective in a moment of silence before the race.  Be nice to each other because you never know when it's over!
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2006-07-24 9:44 AM
Good race.  A sad reminder you had of how fragile this life is. :sad:
Parent - - By gottarungirl Date 2006-07-24 9:48 AM
:sad: Sorry to hear about your fellow tri.

Great job out there.  Sounds like you've been putting more time in on the bike?
Is it normal for you guys to get temps in the high 80s?  :blush:  I hear Canada and I think cold.

Be nice to each other because you never know when it's over!   Good Advice. :)

Rest well and get ready to smush those times in August.  :x
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2006-07-24 10:00 AM
Oh it gets really hot here this time of year. IM in August last year it was 96F when I started the run.  That's in Penticton (Southern, British Columbia)

I had put in very little time on the bike so the improvement was a little surprise.  I think from my pulled quad the rest may have done me well and I had fresh legs.  Ran a marathon in May and maybe this was a lucky injury to help with recovery.
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-07-24 10:10 AM
That's so sad about the guy being killed.  :(

But it sounds like you had a great race -- especially considering your recent sickness and stuff.  Congratulations Mookie!!!  It sounds like this "bigger race" in August may go pretty well!!! :hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2006-07-24 10:24 AM
Yeah I feel really good about August now.  With all the time off etc I was getting a little worried how I was going to get from here to there.  After Saturday I got a bit of ressurance.
Parent - - By Nani [us] Date 2006-07-26 1:59 PM
Good work in tough conditions.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2006-07-27 9:54 AM
:hug:
Parent - - By sportsbiz12 [us] Date 2006-07-27 5:19 PM
That is so tragic. Lacrossechic mentioned something about this accident, apparently her girlfriend knew the man very well. :-( So sad.

I'm glad you had such a great day out there, however. Especially in the heat. I'm terribly worried about my friends doing half IMs in the next few weeks. It's been ridiculously hot - temps for the race course are 90+!

But great job out there. Can't wait to see what happens in August! :)
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2006-08-04 10:01 PM
thks for your thoughts....a real shot of perspective that we didn't need but life is like that
Parent - - By IB Date 2006-08-04 12:30 PM
Congrats Mookie & I look forward to reading about IM Canada!
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2006-08-04 10:01 PM
Thks buddy....3 weeks away!
Parent - By IB Date 2006-08-04 11:33 PM
I have a few friends that will be up there doing the race. I hope the best for all of you!
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Mookie's Half IM