Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Iron :wtf: Girl report
- - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 8:42 AM
Well....just a reminder: I've spent the last month on limited running because of a piriformis issue; had minor surgery on the 10th which wiped out a week of training or exercise of any kind; and I did a 15k on Saturday.

For some reason, I expected this race to start at 7:00AM, but found out at packet pick-up the first wave would swim at 8:00AM and I'd go at 8:25 in the last wave.  (Late starts like this aren't a great idea in Texas in the summer.)  So, I putzed around taking my time getting the transition settled and making it to the water.  I was in the back of my group starting off, but managed to make it through to the front of my group (relatively speaking) and catch some slower swimmers from the prior wave.  I was kicked, managed to kick others (NOT intentionally) and spent most of the swim in breaststroke because my arms weren't helping in the free.  However, I was less concerned about the kicking than I was slurping down some of the swamp water from the canal.  I did choke down one gulp - so if I'm not posting in the next few days, you'll know why...:shocker!::laugh:  The run to the bike felt good, but my legs were tired from the 15k and from the swim.

Previewing the bike course last week helped me anticipate hills and where I'd need energy.  I didn't have much in the legs for climbing, but flew on the downhills.  My bike time surpassed my practice times for that distance, so I was happy.  I didn't expect much for the run and that's exactly what I got.  Lots of run-walking for me in the rising heat of the sun.

One saving grace, sort of: on the back of the run, I tried to encourage a runner who kept looking down while trudging along.  I passed her but told her to keep her head up and look forward to passing me later. We played cat'n'mouse the rest of the way.  My final pass of her - within .1k of the finish - I told her to c'mon and boy did she.  I was picking up speed for that last lil' bit and she stayed with me and managed to pull ahead into the finish.  I guessed it was her first and I was right - so I congratulated her on her diligence in the run and strong finish.  That was probably as much fun as doing the race.:grin:

So, technically - "Iron" Girl I'm not - more like tin or aluminum.  But the race was relatively well-organised and the course was easy.  Oh - my times? Well, I'd hoped for 90 to 92 minutes (best case) and by my watch turned in 96 minutes.  So, considering I had run the day prior, my hip was yelling at me, etc. etc. - I'm pleased.:happy:
Parent - - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2006-07-24 9:17 AM
Congratulations on toughing it out!  Solid performance, considering all your complications.

I'll be looking forward to finding out how you survive your exposure to that "river".  I'm doing the TexasMan in Sept, and I think it is in the same place.  I went riding out there about a month ago and I remember it being pretty flat, though I did climb a little on the south side of Las Colinas.

I appreciate your generous support of the newbie.  That's one of my favorite things about doing these events.  :hug:
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 9:54 AM
The water was like a lake or river (c'ept most rivers are clearer).  Is TexasMan the same length?  If so - you'll have a nice steep hill at the start & finish because of an overpass.  Otherwise, rolling hills.

The swim had big orange buoys, so as I got closer to them with the free, I didn't have to check my location - I could see the reflection of the orange.

I'd have asked for a shadier run, but what can you do?:grin:
Parent - - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2006-07-24 10:06 AM
I'm doing the sprint -- 500 yd, 15 mi, 5k.  I hate climbing.  :mutmad:

I guess there is really no telling, but it may be cooler by mid-September.  It wouldn't bother me a bit if it rained that day.  :grin:
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 10:49 AM
That's basically the same course.  (Our 20k was 12.4mi for the bike.)

I ride in Plano which had comparable hills and thus prepared me just fine.  If you ride there, I can suggest routes.  If you ride WRL - make sure you get in some of the hills at the edge of Lakewood on the southwest side of the lake.  Still, I think the Plano climbs are better for comparison. 

The jog from swim to transition is short, fwiw.
Parent - - By txredd (Redd Hawt!) [us] Date 2006-07-24 11:16 AM
That's good to know about swim to T1.  That is my least favorite part.

I ride in FW and I have some hilly routes.  I just don't like riding them.  :wink:
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 12:32 PM
Cycling friends who ride 70s on the weekend (I'm lucky to get to 25 or 30) - always want me to come visit.

I'd rather ride in my backyard & meet post-ride for BEER! :grin:
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 12:14 PM
Also - if they do the swim the same way, you'll want to study the swim course prior to your wave, so you can take advantage of the angles & not waste time in the water.
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-07-24 9:20 AM
Great job!!!  Sounds like it went fine :D  Congratulations!
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 9:57 AM
Thanks.  Wish I was "fitter" but it was close to my expectations.
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2006-07-24 9:50 AM
Good job!  Luckily it wasn't as hot as it has been.

That canal water scares me.  I don't know that I could swim there.
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 9:56 AM
Thanks.  I counted my blessings many times this weekend in appreciation of the better weather.:wink:
Parent - - By gottarungirl Date 2006-07-24 9:51 AM
Great work Gidget!  :D
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-24 9:56 AM
Thanks!  A tri's always a good way to check your fitness!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2006-07-25 5:06 PM
Gawd, the Texas heat! Good job hanging tough and doing the whole race despite the piriformis setback. I'm glad to hear about your encouraging that other racer during the run. That was very cool, Gidget.:cool:
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 8:49 AM
Hey - I was just hoping I was being more helpful than annoying!: pbbt:

Love your tagline.:wink:
Parent - - By PLF [us] Date 2006-07-26 10:28 AM
Gidget congrats!  Why did I have to dig around in places I don't usually go (the Triathlon escapee forum) to find it?!  Post or cross-post it on Marathons next time!  Nice strong race, despite injuries and other issues.  Any more on tap for the summer?
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 11:47 AM
Ahhhhhh, I didn't think it was quite worthy, but I'll cx-post in a sec.

Yes.  I'm going against my better advice for marathoners and doing a sprint 30 days out from my marathon.  (I always advise on curtailing non-marathon activities to promote focus for the big LSD runs and to prevent injury.)  This one's in my back yard & I already "train on the course" with my weekly bike rides.

I'm just hoping I can do ONE tri where I'm well-prepared & don't have excuses!!:cool:
Parent - - By PLF [us] Date 2006-07-26 12:06 PM
A sprint 30 days out will still leave you enough recovery time to get in 1 more long run and then a 3-week taper.  My guess is you won't need more than 3-6 days to recover from the tri, though if you give yourself 9 days, then you'll still have 21 days before your marathon.  Did that make any sense?  And I feel that sprints are a great workout: short, sweet, and to the point!  This coming from she who has only done 1 but talks like she's done 10.:laugh:

Any race report is post-worthy!
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 12:12 PM
I totally agree with you.

It'll be one day after a 12-miler and a week before my last 20 or 22.  I figure - I just did 9 in a race prior to a sprint with negligible training - it's a very similar scenario.

When's your next one????:mischief:
Parent - - By PLF [us] Date 2006-07-26 1:07 PM
I'm thinking Labor Day weekend for an easy sprint, then the following for the Oly.  But I'm not sure I get a medal at the Oly and I'd like one...there is an Oly in Canada the weekend before the sprint, and they give out medals to finishers, but I may have a wedding that weekend.  Plus I'm concerned I won't be ready in time.  At any rate, I need to get my butt going and register for something!
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 3:35 PM
Registering puts your feet to the fire!
Parent - - By juliebug Date 2006-07-26 12:25 PM
Congrats! Sounds like you had fun, and a good showing in spite of all the other stuff going on.

Canal water sounds really disgusting.
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 3:36 PM
Thanks!  Tris make me nervous for some reason (oh, I don't know - possible drowning? breaking bones in a bike wreck??):laugh:

The canal was like a river, except that I knew it was reclaimed or treated water....
Parent - - By GloMo2000 (Poll Nazi) Date 2006-07-26 1:39 PM
Congratulations Gidget! Great job!
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-26 3:36 PM
THanks!

When's yours...hmmmm????:evil:
Parent - - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-28 8:43 AM
FWIW - photos: http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_event.asp?EVENTID=11328&BIB=312&S=230&PWD=

I hate my race pix.  No, I'm not fishing for compliments.  I really don't like race-day photos.:meh:
Parent - - By PLF [us] Date 2006-07-28 9:17 AM
What are you talking about?  I think you look great!

Seriously though, I hear you on tri pics not being the most flattering ones ever.  I think it has to do with bike/compression shorts...
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-07-28 10:40 AM
I thought it had to do with the stress on my face.:shocker!::wink::laugh:
Parent - - By WaterDog66 [us] Date 2006-08-04 5:28 PM
I am glad you are pleased :)

This was an outstanding effort and it sounds like you had a really fun time with it.

I especially liked the bit where you were encouraging the runner near the finish. For Many Triathletes, the run is the weakest leg, and some encouragement from a strong runner is always welcome. (Of course, Marathon runners are no stranger to the suffering at the end of a race)

I saw the pics and was a bit suprised they did not get more shots. (They usually get you coming out of the water and more on the run)

I would not be too disappointed. Tri Pics are never going to be high fashion given that they write your number and age across your body with a sharpie :)

You look good and Strong.

Maybe we will see you around the Tri Forum more often. (When you are not marathoning)

Good On Ya Gidget :)
Parent - By gidget [us] Date 2006-08-08 9:24 AM
Good to hear from you!

Honestly - I was happy to encourage the runner & hoping I was being more helpful than a hindrance.:wink:

The run is my weakness. I practiced more bricks before this race and still walked!  I need a different approach.  I'm considering one in October, but it will be tougher than this one because it's less of a beginner course, the lake has decent-sized fish (obstacle swim???:laugh:) and the start of the bike & run routes are up, up, uphill.:meh::sad::cry:

And....certainly can't neglect the weather! In Texas - 10/1 could be 90 or 45.  *sigh*:grin:
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Iron :wtf: Girl report