Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Shoes and Gear / Question about falling arches?
- - By littlemary [us] Date 2006-07-22 6:59 PM
what does that mean? if i have probably a medium arch by the wet test, but i am confused by the other part...:wtf:
Parent - - By MyFeetHurt [us] Date 2006-07-22 7:45 PM
I don't really understand the question, but you can have high flexible arches which flatten out under weight, or you can have feet that just naturally don't have much arch, or you can have feet that have lost their arch and tug on the plantar fascia and make you hurt.  "Fallen arches" usually means the latter.
Parent - - By littlemary [us] Date 2006-07-22 7:50 PM
im sorry, i guess i meant too, does that affect the type of shoes that you get? a woman in a shoe store said a friend of mine had 'falling arches' ....and they are having some pain when running in one foot...so i wondered if that was part of it
Parent - - By Jeri Brown [us] Date 2006-07-23 9:27 AM Edited 2006-07-23 9:31 AM
Fallen arches is layman's term for flat feet. it is common and is the easiest problem to correct. For most an over-the-counter (OTC) device works well. Dr. Scholl's, Super Feet, etc are examples. I would try a low cost version first. It's purpose is to take to strain off of the Fascia that goes from the heel to the toes. If you go to a Drug Store the Pharmacy can be of help. If you go to a Specialty running store they sell Superfeet, etc and they are twice as costly as Dr Scholls. They are better but; may not be necessary. Even with only one foot flat I would recommend you use them in both shoes and they should be used in place of the Shoe Sock Liner.

If you go the shoe route Mizuno has a higher arch than most so you have to get the one that fits the best. A Specialty running store can do the best and try to find one that used a Video system to determine the type of gait you have.

Hopefully Jamie sees this message as he treats problems like this daily.

I just saw a thead that said you are a Cub fan. If you live in the Chicago area try Dick Pond's stores.
Parent - By littlemary [us] Date 2006-07-23 11:50 AM
thanks jeri...i'll pass that on, i hope that helps :grin::hug:
Up Topic General / Shoes and Gear / Question about falling arches?