Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Whistling Wobbly Wedding Wednesday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-09 10:37 AM
I googled words that begin with W and these are the 3 that jumped out to me.   Post about your workout, blather, food, and any combo of the following:
1)      Can you whistle?
2)      Would you consier yourself a stable person? :laugh: (physically!)
3)      Wedding – describe yours, or if you would do anything differently now.  I know we’ve discussed this not that long ago…
Parent - By george [us] Date 2019-01-09 12:28 PM
1)      Can you whistle? Only if I inhale, and only a few notes
2)      Would you consider yourself a stable person? :laugh: (physically!) I fixed your typo, so of course I am stable. Physically, I guess? Balance is ok but not great, but I don't make a habit of tripping and falling on a regular basis.
3)      Wedding – describe yours, or if you would do anything differently now.  I know we’ve discussed this not that long ago… Got married in an apple orchard and had the reception in a barn at a living historical museum. Loved it. Would invite fewer people next time, or change who I invited.

Ran 6 miles on the treadmill this morning, progression style. Started at 8:00, got down to 6:00, then ended with another 8:00 mile. Took vinyasa yoga at lunch, and tried a new pose: bird of paradise. Was not super successful at doing it.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-09 12:57 PM
Whistling. Yes, I can do that but typically don't other than to mess with the dogs and make them turn their head in funny "WTF are you doing" ways.

Stable, physically. Not so much, but better than a few years back. I do some balancing exercises a few times a week now. I used to be known for weekly falls on the trail. Probably a reason for my eff'd up knees.

Wedding. Simple service, at a small non-denominational church in my hometown. Honestly I don't recall how the thing got organized and why there. It was good enough for me however and did not cost much and we went on our honeymoon to the Bahamas afterwards. I would not have wanted a large wedding.

Workout. Another day off from running. Being good. Trying to hold out until Friday. Like beer, I am not good at abstaining from running. Hit the gym last night for weights. Maybe go do a session on the bike to nowhere then again may just take a nap or have a beer and read before dinner.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2019-01-09 4:51 PM
Workout was 5 miles along the river at lunchtime in a bitter wind but with temps above freezing.
Whistle? Yes, but loudly only whistling in instead of out. Weird but that's always how it's been. :wtf:
Would I consider myself stable? Pleading the 5th here for both mental and physical.
Wedding was a full blown Orthodox ceremony that took about 93 hours as I remember. Complete with 3 trips around the altar with best man and maid of honor holding heavy crowns above our heads. We could hear them whispering "switch" whenever one of them needed to switch arms holding the crowns.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2019-01-09 6:50 PM
I love your description of your wedding ceremony!:laugh::hug:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-09 10:50 AM
1-  Can you whistle? Nope.  Not at all and not ever.
2-  Nope.  I’m better since incorporating a yoga practice, but I still walk around like a 90 y.o. lady, especially hiking downhill.
3-  Mine was pretty standard, on the small side.  I guess I’m glad I had a traditional wedding, but if I really had to do it over, I’d skip it all and just go to the courthouse.

Speaking of  marriage & courthouses… For our health insurance, we have to prove that our dependents and spouse are legitimate, and they wanted a copy of my marriage license.  I know I have one in our safe, but I’m too lazy to dig around for it.  And seeing how I already had all of their other requested documentation scanned and saved and the courthouse is next door, I figured I’d just go get another copy and scan that too.

I did a long run this morning.  I think that’s my first since before Xmas.  Goal was to just run around easily for 2 hours – goal completed.  It was not fast, but it wasn’t that hard except that I ran it all in the hilly neighborhood behind me.  I actually felt better on the uphills than the downhills, probably because the tailwind was on the uphill.  The wind also kept blowing sticks and those awful magnolia pods under my feet tripping me up.  Lots of curse words uttered… But it’s done and I’m just grateful I can still do it at all.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:04 AM
A long run before work makes the rest of the day SO GOOD mentally!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:41 AM
we recently went through the marriage license thing and I tore the house apart trying to find it. I finally did, but I was so pissed off about the whole thing. They wouldn't have insured me without it and none of the other documentation was considered sufficient.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-09 1:13 PM
Yep and you have to turn it in asap. I got the letter yesterday and if I wanted to be included in the $50 drawing, I had to turn it in by the 10th. But you only get until the 31st before they drop everyone!

I was pretty sure I had the right form, but it's in a big file with all of the birth certificates, SS cards, and a bunch of certificates that look official but aren't. I didn't want to hunt through it and then it wind up not being proper. Now I have a nice clean copy and it's scanned with the other important stuff.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 11:48 AM
Your No. 3 answer ... it's interesting to think about the idea of wedding size, what you really want, and whom the wedding is for. As with parents-to-be, I think that prospective brides and grooms are marketed a lot of things that they NEED TO HAVE that they really don't need. Also, there are the family issues. I guess that in our case, neither family really had any expectations or gave a shit what we did (and I mean that in a good way).
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-09 1:14 PM
Oh yeah. I don't remember anyone really caring much what was done, but I wouldn't mind at all if my kids wanted to skip the whole process.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:17 AM
1.  I can whistle ever so slightly, so not really?
2.  Absolutely not, but I do try and work on it.  When I tore the ligaments in my ankle a few years ago, my ortho told me one of the best exercises I could do to strengthen it was to balance on one leg for 1-2 minutes.  I still attempt to do this at least a few times a week on each leg. 
3.  We had a traditional, Catholic wedding and a reception for I think about 150 people.  We paid for it ourselves and ONE OF US, took that opportunity to invite mostly who we wanted instead of who our parents wanted.:roll:  No third cousins from my mother's family were invited.  My rule was, if I don't recognize the person in order to introduce them, I wasn't paying for them to come to the wedding.  Now as an adult, I can confirm, I will never feel slighted if I am not invited to someone's wedding.

4.1 miles this morning in a perfect 42* and slight wind.  Will go to boxing class tonight.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:41 AM
I am never bothered by not being invited to weddings, and I also don't feel bad about declining and sending a nice gift.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 11:45 AM
We rarely get invited to weddings, and that is A-OK by me. :grin:

I used to do the leg-balance exercises when I was in learn to skate. Even though I'm right-handed, my left side is definitely more stable than my right due to the bunion in my right foot. (That makes doing balance poses in yoga difficult, too.)
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-09 1:15 PM
I so do not care if I'm not invited to a wedding. I'm more like "ummm. You can skip us if it helps!" :blush:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 11:32 AM Edited 2019-01-09 11:43 AM
1)      Can you whistle?
2)      Would you consider yourself a stable person? :laugh: (physically!)
3)      Wedding – describe yours, or if you would do anything differently now.  I know we’ve discussed this not that long ago…

1. Nope
2. Overall, I guess yes, although when I was learning to skate several years ago, I would have answered that question totally differently.
3. It was small -- 30 guests. We paid for it. Afterward, we found out that there were people who were pissed off that they'd not been invited. :shrug:

8 mi this morning. Temp was nice -- in the 30s -- but the wind was crazy. Apparently, I slept through some intense thunderstorms last night, too.

National Baking Month update: Last night, I made Peanut Butter-Banana Swirl Bundt Cake. It still needs a PB glaze and garnish, and I'll do that tonight. Also on tap for tonight: seven-layer bars and most likely I'll make a Cookies & Cream Bundt Cake, since I've prepped a bunch of the ingredients already (definitely a handy recipe for getting rid of some Oreos that have been in the house for a couple of months ... I'm not sure who bought them and didn't eat them, but it wasn't and was me).
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:47 AM
there is no way a box of oreos would last in my house. Someone would find them and eat them. Probably me.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-09 12:45 PM
:laugh:  this!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-09 1:16 PM
Ha! Me too. I've been known to eat the whole package in 24 hours :blush:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 1:43 PM
Clearly, we are weirdos.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:39 AM
1-yes I can whistle. But I don't do it often, I'm not a person who wanders around whistling to myself.

2-I'm not as stable as I could be and am trying to work on that. But I'm not the worst!

2-my wedding was at a restaurant, during the day. We paid for a lot of it ourselves and made decisions accordingly. Our photographer sucked, I would have paid more for that but going back to the paying for it ourselves thing. I didn't want a religious wedding which was extremely offensive and upsetting to my ILs

run was 7.5 miles, what a gorgeous day here today. Absolutely perfect weather.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 11:49 AM
When you pay for your own wedding, I think that you end up removing a layer of stress and expectation from the event.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-09 11:44 AM
8.5 last night. Relaxing run. Some hills in there that didn't seem to aggravate anything. An hour or so after I got home last night be had a thunderstorm with lots of lightning. 6 or 7 tonight.

I can whistle but I don't hardly ever.

Trying to work on the stability stuff.

Not married.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 11:50 AM
Oh, you got to experience the thunderstorm that I slept through! :laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-09 12:03 PM
Since I'm west of you, it came through here earlier :grin:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2019-01-09 6:56 PM
Nice run. How's Beast training going? As crazy as this is, I haven't ruled it out yet...
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-09 7:19 PM
just really starting to do longer runs. 15 last Sunday without anything flaring up. will try for something similar this weekend. I'm hopeful. My friend Chris is out. PF.:sad:
- By Ed [us] Date 2019-01-09 12:21 PM
I can whistle but not loudly.
Yes, and physically too!  :laugh:
We had a nice size wedding.  Catholic nuptial mass and reception in a small hall with a live band.

Taught spin class this morning & did core, hip & shoulder exercises afterwards.

Running club meeting tonight.  Our guest speaker will discuss how training for distance running has evolved through the years.  He's the coach of the Women's XC and track & field teams at Rowan University and is a former Jamacan Olympic marathoner and two-time winner of the Philadelphia Marathon in the mid-1980s.
- - By skigirl Date 2019-01-09 12:24 PM
I can whistle, but choose not to.  I *hate* listening to other people whistle.  So annoying.
My right ankle is wobbly - I try to do stability exercises for it but they don't seem to do much.
Wedding - DH and I were married in 1995, when we didn't have much money, so the wedding was fairly small and simple.  But very nice. :hug:

I ran this morning!  I haven't been running outside much lately - mostly on the treadmill because of ice - but we had fresh snow lately so the sidewalks are fine.  It was a bit chilly - I saw the forecast said -22C with -28C windchill (-8F and -18F respectively).  I'm usually a bit dubious on windchill forecasts, but when I looked out the window I saw the trees whipping back and forth so I took it seriously. :laugh:   Sure enough, it was much warmer when I dipped down into the ravine where the wind wasn't as strong.  I was happy to get out and happy with how good the run felt.  :happy:  All the xc skiing I've been doing lately is definitely helping my hill-climbing technique.  :happy:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 3:36 PM
when we didn't have much money, so the wedding was fairly small and simple.  But very nice.

:hug:

You should have the event that you want to have, not the event that whoever else wants you to have.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2019-01-09 6:57 PM
This.:hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-09 1:03 PM
1)      Can you whistle? pretty much only if I inhale :laugh:
2)      Would you consier yourself a stable person? :laugh: (physically!) Yes! I do a lot of yoga and core work.
3)      Wedding – describe yours, or if you would do anything differently now.  We got married at a hotel downtown and the reception was literally in the same room just behind a curtain (it was supposed to be outside but it rained BUCKETS that day) It was great and fun ... the one thing I would change is that someone either let us eat privately or took food to our room for afterwards. We were seated to eat and really couldn't eat because people came up to us non stop. Needless to say we were starving the following morning.

4.2 miles of interval work on the treadmill, 42 burpees and some sauna :grin:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 3:37 PM
Intervals -- always a good workout!
Parent - By SRoo Date 2019-01-09 6:04 PM
42 burpees--impressive!
- - By nooner [us] Date 2019-01-09 1:15 PM
10 miles before work with the guys.

I was on the bike, they were running. : pbbt: It was a nice morning so I decided to join the guys and get in some social time. I coasted most of the time and just hung with them but had to work a little on the few hills. I had planned to do some elliptical at lunchtime, but I had a webinar that ran long so I lost my window.

I can whistle, my balance is better after doing some PT last summer to address my weaknesses. Our wedding was pretty good but we should have paid for a photographer instead of letting one of my wife’s cousins do it.

We are currently scoping out places for our oldest daughter’s wedding which will be in June 2020. The budget is still under negotiation.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 3:55 PM
Must have been nice to be outside at least.
- - By essel [us] Date 2019-01-09 1:23 PM
I'm back to posting, it was/ is busy here. Started new job, 3rd day in, so far not too bad. Commute sucks, but next week I start to use train, it will be much easier. Not sure what to do with puppy, he is going to stay home and he is attached to my BF...He is starting his job in Feb, but likely is 10 min away so he can visit the beast.

1. - yes I can!
2. - yes I am!
3.  - I didn't have one and probably it will never happen, we discussed and neither of us wants it.

run last night - around 3 miles. Getting back into my routine or rather establishing a new one. Gym here is free and we get discounts at the pool near work. So I may switch to evening work out regime. it depends how fast I need to get home.

Happy runs/ rides/ swims everyone!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-09 3:20 PM
So glad the new job seems good so far!!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 3:56 PM
Great that the new job is going well!
- - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2019-01-09 2:25 PM
5K on the treadmill

1) yes and quite well
2) Well I don't fall over frequently so I guess I'm physically stable.
3)  I was married on New Years eve 1986 in a small Lutheran Church (the pastor was my late wife's neighbor) and then we had a small reception at her parent's house (venues are not available when you decide to get married on new year's eve two month's prior but it was my wife's grandparents 40th anniversary which was kind cool)

I think it was a nice wedding but that's because my only concern was who the bride was and I got that part perfectly correct.  Would I do it differently with 30+ years of hindsight?

I barely remember anything about the wedding except for the Bride and I think that ornate weddings are over-rated,  Its the marriage that matter.  Issues about my wedding that might be handled better:

1) The groom-side guest list.  I grew up fundamentalist and then learned to think for myself and left (not that long before my marriage).  It wasn't so much that I was shunned as much as I didn't know how to deal with all the people in my life who were now convinced I was hell-bound.  So the guest list was very small and ended up not including my parents (they were invited).  With maturity and more confidence I could have handled the issue better and possibly ensured my parent's attendance (they came to regret that decision) and some other peoples as well.  Which would have been a good thing.  That has virtually nothing to do with the actual wedding, but its a hard-won life's lesson in showing the confidence to be yourself and now I would handle it better I think.  (Did I mention that I was only 22 and Nedra was 20?)

2) I would have suggested to the Bride that when her grandmother's came to her separately with muscle relaxants and alcohol that Grandma DOESN'T always know best or at least choose one or the other.  No permanent harm done but a few of our wedding pictures are.......interesting.  The ceremony was fine but then they kicked in and she spent about two hours totally bombed and for the rest of her life had little memory of the day (though Luckily she seemed to think that she'd gotten the groom part right which I'm glad for.)
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-09 3:27 PM
Totally agree that ornate weddings are overrated!  My FIL was very close to dying when we got married.  We almost got married at his bedside a couple of weeks earlier, but he told us not to do it as he wanted to be at the wedding.  He was able to attend and died a few weeks later.  When I encounter young people who are in a frenzy about their wedding, I tell this story.  A wedding is a just party and has nothing to do with marriage.  I think the fact I was willing to get married in jeans in a hospital room, may be one of the reasons blazerman has put up with me 22 years.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2019-01-09 6:02 PM
:hug:  Good story.
- By SRoo Date 2019-01-09 6:01 PM
1. Yes, I can whistle, but not that sharp, 2 fingers in the mouth type.  I never got the hang of it.
2. Balance.  Well, considering I just fell over the dog earlier this week, maybe not as good as it could be.
3. Wedding.  I thought it was nice.  I probably would do a few things differently, but I'd pick the same groom.  :happy:

Workout:  I lifted stuff.  I also added a little more warm up/mobility/foam rolling. 
Blather:  Wrestling is a tough sport for a mom, especially if your kiddo gets smushed most of the time.  :sad:
- By Spingoddess [us] Date 2019-01-09 6:48 PM
Happy hump day people! Finally got my workout in today, 60 minute endurance spin and 20 minute strength class. Why have my mornings been so messed up this week? I'm not a great evening workout person, but I got it done with minimal complaining- minimal for me.: pbbt: No workout at all yesterday.:sad: I have a run and a spin on tap for tomorrow, no one better get in my way!:laugh:

1) I can whistle, but not very well. Philip is a great whistler, he taught our parrot to whistle the Queen of the Night aria from Mozart's Magic Flute.:laugh:
2) It depends. I can hold some yoga positions that require stability really well, but others, like those that involve standing on one leg for long periods of time- not so much.
3) My wedding(s) sucked. Well, the first one wasn't so bad, Philip and I eloped in St. John's when I was 3 months pregnant, that time when the pregnancy hormones start to flow, so I had no waist and I was nauseous every afternoon. And when Philip and I walked into the resort where we stayed, there was a Mrs. Universe pageant going on. Like these gorgeous women were walking around the lobby in heels and bikinis, and I had a big pregnancy zit in the middle of my forehead. Philip still talks about how Mrs. Russia put ribs on his plate at the buffet that night.:roll::laugh: But my parents wanted a wedding, so we had one two months later. I was 5 months pregnant so wasn't drinking. My Aspergers-y husband was so nervous and overloaded he disappeared with his asshat brother somewhere during the reception and all the pictures of the tables with my guests, which should have the bride and the groom in them, just have me. I hate those pictures. And to top it off, Philip and I never remember either of the dates on which we were married.:roll: You know those ceremonies to renew wedding vows? I don't understand why I would ever consider having another wedding, after the first two.
- By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2019-01-09 6:53 PM
1. Yes I can whistle. I whistle a lot actually. I find myself doing it when I'm walking through the halls at work to walk to the bathroom, and I do it a lot when I'm at home  alone.
2. I am NOT balanced. I need to work on that. I blame it on my elongated cerebellum, which is the coordination and balance center of the brain. Or maybe I'm just uncoordinated and have bad balance.
3. Wedding #1 (when I was 23): Catholic church wedding, reception at a local hotel in Huntsville, AL. My parents paid for it but it was a small budget, so the reception was heavy apps and open bar in the middle of the afternoon. We invited a lot of peeps my parents wanted there and there was some MAJOR DRAMA that I could have done without. Wedding #2 (when I was 43): small wedding in the same room/venue as the reception. We paid for it, and it was perfect because everything is what WE wanted, not what other people wanted.

I ran 4.1 miles this morning, attempted a tempo run but never got to tempo pace. Still managed 20 minutes of faster than usual running, so at least I kept with the spirit of the workout. It was crazy windy!
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-10 8:16 AM
yes, I can totally whistle, but only the regular kind with just my lips, I've got a goal to someday learn how to do the finger whistle.

Benji and I didn't get up early, so we met the 6:30pm running group at the local running store and did their 5k route. it's the first time I've taken him and probably the first time I've been in 2 years :wtf:  there were 4 other dogs along for the evening so that was interesting. and even though I didn't really run with anyone, it was nice to be in a group and fun to chat afterwards while having a beer (Shiner Dark Cherry Modello Ale) I think we will add that to our regular schedule :happy:  Benji also got lots of pats and to sniff a few butts, so he was quite a happy camper
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Whistling Wobbly Wedding Wednesday Dailies