Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday, 08 Jan 2019
- - By oncearunner [us] Date 2019-01-08 7:59 AM
Hola!

Who has a birthday today?  Tell us so we can celebrate with you!

What are your plans for this full week of 2019?

Post away...
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:08 AM
It's ELVIS'S birthday!:grin::grin::grin: I heard he's at the 7-11 so I will stop by to celebrate with him.   Hey, I actually did that late afternoon evening run yesterday and it felt goooooooood. 

Headed up north of Philly to look at a minivan for Ellen.  Haircut this afternoon then dinner with Scott and fiancee.

Tom in DE
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:31 AM
Another full day for the birthday boy.  Happy Birthday Tom!!
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2019-01-08 10:22 AM
Happy birthday Tom.

I'm at the office today but my workout stuff is my car and I hope to stop at the gym on the way home. Feeling kind of tired though so we'll see what happens.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2019-01-08 1:56 PM
Any suggestions for birthday dinner?   Where did you go?
Parent - By Dave59 [us] Date 2019-01-08 2:02 PM Edited 2019-01-08 2:07 PM
I went to Texas Roadhouse.  I was in the mood for a steak and not at our usual places.  We don't usually go to Texas Roadhouse because it is too loud and the waits are too long.  I downloaded their app and used a feature to get on the waitlist before we left the house.  When we got there we had no wait, but they were telling some people it would be an hour and fifteen minutes, so it was a good move.

It was still too loud so no one could talk to each other, but that isn't always a bad thing.
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2019-01-08 10:32 AM
Happy Birthday, Tommy boy!

Another 8 mile run this morning.  I'm loving the mid-50s temperature too. 

I plan to go to the gym after work and throw around some weights.  I'm just trying to preserve what little muscles I still have.
Parent - By pamruns [us] Date 2019-01-08 12:05 PM
Happy Birthday, Tom!! You deserve a most WONDERFUL day!
Parent - By oncearunner [us] Date 2019-01-08 12:41 PM
Happy Birthday Tom!  I pray you have a fantastic birthday!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2019-01-08 1:10 PM
A Cool Whip bowl is a standard unit of measure right?  because I picked up 5 bowls of pine needles after hauling out the tree.:shocker!:  I undecorated it last week and Lee was going to haul it out on Sunday but then got caught up in the Bear game.  So yeah, I hauled the darn thing out the front door, down the side street, and then around the garage and threw it in the alley.  This is the first year without snow for it to slide on.  Much tougher.

Dave, I'm enjoying Slaughterhouse Five; about 70 pages to go.  What one should I read next?

One more Misha-walk, a long yoga practice, and beef & bean burritos for supper.  Then bedtime. :happy:  Maybe I should have another cup of coffee so I'm not dreaming of bedtime at 1 in the afternoon.:laugh:
Parent - - By Dave59 [us] Date 2019-01-08 1:57 PM Edited 2019-01-08 2:06 PM
Glad you it. Lots of people don't like Kurt Vonnegut.

"Player Piano" is his first novel and is becoming too real these days as everyone is losing their jobs to automation. It is a good one.

I read some of his books as a late teen who often felt like everything was meaningless and often wishing I hadn't been born, so with that mindset, my favorite books were:
"Breakfast of Champions" - Which I struggle to describe but I read it often enough that the pages fell out of my first copy.
"Sirens of Titan" - Shows that life really is totally meaningless.

I'm going back through his books 30-40+ years after my first read. It brings back some weird sensations. It is like LSD flashbacks.  But I get more out of the stories now than I did then.  (I have reread one here or there over the years so it wasn't 30 years in-between reads for all of them.)  Reading them now, from a worldview that has been greatly influenced by Jonathan Edwards, gives a different perspective.

I also like the others from this list of top 10: https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/tip-sheet/article/72006-the-10-best-kurt-vonnegut-books.html

My introduction to Kurt Vonnegut was in school when we were assigned reading some short stories out of "Welcome to the Monkey House".  I read the assigned ones, then read the rest of them, and the rest is history.  (I don't remember if it was junior or senior high school.  Probably high school, but early on, like 9th grade.)
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2019-01-08 3:56 PM
I think I'll go with Breakfast of Champions.  My library can get it for me in an 850 pg book with 3 or 4 other of his writings.  That way if it doesn't go well I can pick one of the other ones.
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2019-01-08 1:59 PM
I picture you slogging thru the mud pulling a big old tree.  You need to train a husky for pulling sleds.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2019-01-08 3:57 PM
well of course she was helping!   darn dog is ALWAYS under foot.
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tuesday, 08 Jan 2019