Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tuesdaily TRAP
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 7:21 AM
Ever been busted in one of those speed traps places? Vent away. Plus the usual run/workout and blather.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 7:28 AM
Yes, I was just informed by mail that the fine city of Washington DC has a photo speed trap on I295 and they felt it was their duty to ticket me for driving 62mph on a Sunday morning at 7:23am in a 50mph zone (what it's an interstate!!) when there was no traffic around and I was really just minding my own business. I did some research and DC racks in over 10 million dollars a year with this one particular photo speed trap. You know a lot of that money is going to a 3rd party. Things like this really piss me off, not so much the fine and the dollar amount, but the intrusiveness and unfairness of it all. It's not like I was zinging in and out of traffic dangerously. Wonder what that GT3000 in front of me got... he was flying. Told my wife this morning I would get great satisfaction taking a sledgehammer to the photo speed trap device. I think will write "TRUMP SPEED TRAP" on my check.

No run today but will get to the gym later for weights and such. Cortisone shot is helping already. Mild pain I had on stairs and at rest is fading/gone. Plan is to try this running thing Thu or Fri again.

Blather. Sir B watches football
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 7:52 AM
Sorry about the ticket :sad:

Yay about the knee

:hug: Sir B
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:20 AM
Glad things are looking up with your knee!
Sir B is so cute! :hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:37 AM
sir B.

Wow, $10M seems like a lot from one photo speed trap. I am really impressed with your ability to research that.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 9:52 AM
My feeling is that if the photo speed traps are trying to make driving safer there would be multiple and obvious notices that they are being used on the road you are travelling. That would change people's behavior. Instead there is likely an obscure sign somewhere that no one notices. I never saw it. So unless you are a local who has been zinged before you don't know to slow down. Might explain the one super slowpoke I saw in the left lane.

Guess I can't blame Trump though since it's District of Columbia and not the feds. Do you think I will get put on a list if I write "SPEED TRAPS SUCK" on my check?
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 10:08 AM
I would guess not. Employees taking the check wouldn't care. I bet they'd get a good chuckle out of it!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:52 AM
Yup.  :laugh:
Parent - By george [us] Date 2019-01-08 12:22 PM
7 miles easy-ish with my fast friend before work. Hit up some new roads so I can cross them off my list.

Never received a speeding ticket, thankfully. I'd like to keep that going my whole life!
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2019-01-08 5:37 PM
Those things suck. Sorry you got nailed...that sucks! :mutmad: I've gotten snagged by traditional roadside traps and once from the air on the turnpike, but never by photo. I'm relatively careful on the beltways around Baltimore and D.C. because they do that, but it sounds like you were pretty careful and still got it. :mutmad: (My careful is no more than 15 over. :blush:)

Anyhow, PA Farm Show PA Products Run Day today. 3 mi. loop to the show, mushroom salad, trout chowder, blended burger, baked potato and of course a milk shake on the way back. Burp. 5 miles.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 8:00 AM
4 last night. I had to do something for work, so my run was kinda cut short. Also, there was this icy rain that fell in the last 1/4 mile or so and it made everything very slick. I would have cut it short even without the work thingy. Hoping for 7 or 8 tonight.

Weird thing yesterday. Toward the end of the day I received an email with an apology from someone on campus for something she said long ago. This has apparently weighed on her mind for a long time and she has thought about reaching out before. I do remember/know who she is but cannot recall anything about the incident that troubles her. I'm sometimes in a position of sharing unwelcome news so I do catch flak for some of the stuff our department does but have found more often than not that people just need to vent and it's not about me. Anyway, I thanked her for reaching out and said I could empathize because I have said things in the past that I regret. It was just odd/unexpected. Anything like that ever happen to you? Or have you ever reached out after a long time to try to correct something you don't feel good about?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:19 AM
Be careful tonight with the slick areas!

I haven't had that happen to me but I've gone over conversations later in my head and wondered if they took that the way I meant it, etc. Typically I chalk it up to me over analyzing and let it go. If it's someone I'm close to it's much easier for me to send a quick text or reach out. :happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:39 AM
I think it is pretty cool that the person reached out.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 9:55 AM
Be careful with the ice. We had a bit of that this morning, but it's warmed up enough to melt. Now it's grey and foggy. If you have to run in ice, being on dirt trails is the best. Then it is just crunchy. We had an amazing frozen forest run once on the horseshoe trail. Like running through crystal. It was so amazing, and my wife had made Christmas cookies that I stashed mid route.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 10:35 AM
The ice was last night. Should be okay tonight. Low 40's today. Ice is one of the rare times I will not run road or trail.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 3:46 PM
I only recall one really bad experience with ice on the trails. I got like 2 miles into a run at French Creek and the trails are rather rocky, and the rocks were glazed and slippery. I was worried about something bad happening to me or the Lady. We pretty much hiked around that day and cut the plan short.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 10:09 AM
That is odd. I guess it's good she got it off her chest? Maybe it's a new years resolution trying to be nicer?

Ice - be careful!!! No new tweaks please!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 10:37 AM
Yeah. She framed it in a way that suggested she wanted to start the new year on the right foot. But I genuinely have no memory of what she is referring to and what seemed to weigh heavily on her over the years.. I think it was nice that she reached out.

I was last night and as soon as things got tricky, I walked the rest of the way to my car.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:51 AM
I have to admit to being haunted by things I said or did years ago - also haunted by things I *wish* I had said or done years ago : pbbt: - so I admire her for dealing with it.  Hopefully she feels better now.  Maybe she is doing a big psychic "housecleaning" and getting in touch with a lot of people.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 11:06 AM
Yeah. I do hope it helps her feel better :happy:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 9:15 AM
Never been caught in a speed trap like that, but I know most of the local ones. Seven or eight years ago, a local cop pulled me over and gave me a verbal warning for going 27 in a 25 zone (on a downhill and not in a school zone, BTW). I didn't say anything, but I was all: Are you fucking kidding me?

11 mi this morning. Everything was covered with a light coating of snow, so it was a little sloppy out there. These temperature swings are getting a little crazy. :meh:

Today I'm going to register for my Maryland and Wyoming races. Then I guess I'll shop around for some other interesting marathons to fill the gaps until Hawaii in January 2020.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:17 AM
Fort Worth, TX? :grin:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 10:02 AM
It sounds like you are pandering for baked goods!  :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 11:04 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 7:25 PM
Hmmm ....
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:38 AM
yay! Registering. So close.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 9:41 AM
Ugh! But did you ever get pulled for having a hanging air freshener in your car by an undercover policeman?  That happened to me once and scared the crap out of me. I had just pulled out of a parking lot going up a 12% grade hill. I knew I couldn't have been speeding! And I didn't recognize the car or the cop (I work upstairs), but I was afraid to ask to get a better look at his ID and further piss him off.  He was trying to see if there was any reason to search my car for drugs! (According to another police friend)
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 10:02 AM
Did your air freshener smell like a lit joint, though? :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 10:10 AM
Lol - nope! And oh did I fuss at DH. He was always the one insisting we have air fresheners in there. Neither of us had any idea they were illegal! Technically, college parking permits are illegal - anything that hangs from the mirror
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 9:56 AM
That is crazy about getting pulled over for 2mph. I find it somewhat suspicious that I was clocked 1mph the so called grace limit. I read the 1/3 of the tickets are that way. Racket!

Nice run today in the snow!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:50 AM
WHERE IS THE BAKING UPDATE???  How can you post three paragraphs and not include anything about baking????
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 10:57 AM
Last night, I made granola from a recipe that was included in a holiday card from a colleague, one of the recipe developers that I work with. The granola is super yum: oats, almonds, dried cranberries, chopped candied orange slices (a fun product you can get at Trader Joe's -- if I have them on hand, I have been known to chop them up and add them to chocolate chip cookies), and some nice seasonal spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves).

Not sure what I'm going to make tonight, but I have a couple of ideas, one of which is a flourless chocolate cake that isn't being published until next summer. It's so good, though, that I can't wait to make it at home. :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 5:07 PM
:waves: I'm interested in the flourless chocolate cake !! :cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 11:07 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2019-01-08 5:29 PM
:laugh: Right on!
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:19 AM
4.25 again this morning with Benji. As soon as we left the house and started walking south we encountered a pretty large coyote booking it towards us - he was moving very fast down the middle of the road, but then turned right on the street just ahead of us. I was glad he decided to detour since I wasn't thrilled with the idea of him thinking Benji looked like a tasty snack, or Benji thinking he was tough enough to take on Wil E. phew.

then about 2 miles in, running along one of our main roads (3 lanes each way) I found an imaginary line and busted my a$$. :roll: scrapped up my hand and my right knee, but I tucked and rolled just right so no major damage except to my pride. finished up the rest of the run without incident.

2 walkers, 1 coyote and 1 sketchy car.  yoga today after work.

no speed trap encounters, but on our trip last week we did watch someone get pulled over that didn't think the 75 > 60 > 50 > 45 through a small town applied to them. : pbbt:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:21 AM
Oh man on the fall AND the coyote! Sounds like an exciting run.
Enjoy yoga! I'm planning to start back after a loooooonnnnng break tomorrow. It's going to hurt.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:40 AM
ugh, I'm sorry about that fall.

The coyotes always turn around when I encounter them, but I never run with an animal so it is a little difference
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 10:05 AM Edited 2019-01-08 10:09 AM
Yikes on the coyote and the fall. Glad you are ok.

My normal route down to FL to see my parents the last part is on 301 south and all the towns there are speed traps. I would never speed through small towns (well no more the 5mph) but at least on that road I know to slow down. My BIL got tagged there. The road goes from 65 to 55 to 45 in a blink of an eye over and over. Mostly it's just because of cross roads not towns.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 10:11 AM
I am sorry about the fall! :sad: and that the coyote was not looking for food
Parent - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:39 AM

> Benji thinking he was tough enough to take on Wil E.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:  I have similar fears with my own dogs at the off-leash parks.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 2:46 PM
Sorry about the fall!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:56 PM
I'm sorry about the fall.  I hope the damage is minimal.  Last time I tried that drop and roll, I ended up smushing my elbow into my torso and fracturing a rib :mutmad:  I was so mad!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:22 AM
5 miles with some buddies :hug:  We did see lots of other runners/walkers out, a few cats, two domesticated bunnies :wtf: and some dogs!

I've never gotten a ticket like that but I have gotten the red light tickets. I'm not one to run a red light so it must've been super sensitive. :wink:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:41 AM
the red light ones are super sensitive!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:45 AM
Domesticated bunnies?  Were they on leash?
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 12:20 PM
No, they were just in the front yard! You can just tell they're not wild!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 10:00 PM
Yeah, we ended up with a bunny that had been turned loose in the 'hood when we lived in Dallas.  Months later we had her outside in her cage and some kids came running over yelling  "you found our rabbit!!"   When we found the poor thing in our yard, we called animal control and they said it happens all the time.  People think they can survive in the lawns :roll:   I told the kids I had almost run over their rabbit, and they could come visit her at our house any time they wanted.  The came once.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 9:36 AM
Can’t say that I have for speeding.  We don’t have fancy gadgets like that here! :laugh:  I should have gotten a ticket for not paying at a toll booth once.  I was on my way back to the airport in NH and DS1 was asleep and no help.  I was fumbling getting my $$$ out and looked up at the bright camera flash.  I musta missed the part where people paying had to get over.  :blush: But, I never got a ticket.   I was in a rental and assumed they’d pass it on, but I never saw anything.  I also once got in an argument with a friend who was trying to tell me our city traffic light cameras gave out tickets.  No, they don’t.  He insisted and we went back and forth until I pointed out that I’m the one who specs them out and I know what they can and can’t do.  Sure, the tech exists.  But, we don’t have them here.

Today was a better morning!  Go Tigers!!!! I have one VERY HAPPY DS2 this morning!  I watched the first half and was praying they could do it.  When I got up to pee in the  middle of the night, I was praying hard as the phone refreshed…  and was all :shocker!: and had to check it 2-3x.  I did not expect such an a** whooping! :grin:

I did my new double loop at the gym route this morning.  I had hoped to press it a bit if I felt good.  I did pretty well  - and it may have been a CR.  I know the first time I ever did it, I ran ~37 min/34 min, but usually I’m faster than that.  Today was ~33:30/30:30.  Of course, it typically serves as an easy run route… but hey.  I’ll take what I can get.  P90X back and bis video afterwards.  I am making progress!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:38 AM
I was shocked too. I went to bed at half time and had a good feeling!

My kiddo has dreams of playing at Clemson someday. He was PUMPED this morning. :hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 10:15 AM
Good luck to him! A policewoman who waddled the halls with me pregnant in '98... Her DS plays for Cincinnati. They played my Alma mater in the bowl game this year. We kept going "there's C!!!" :happy: he's the same height as DS1 (6-3) but weighs 100 pounds more! When they played soccer together, everyone was like "uhh.. he might wanna try football" :laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 10:07 AM
The game last night was a blow out. I watched most of the second half in bed, and fell asleep early in the 4th quarter.

Nice work on the CR today! I like tracking time now and then on some of my normal routes.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:47 AM
Don't question the CR - just take it!  :cool:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 2:49 PM
Our city doesn't have that traffic light technology either, and I really wish they did.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:36 AM
yes, I've been busted by those. Also the red light ones (when I go through JUST as it turns red and they ticket you). I hate getting that citation in the mail. And it isn't even like you can fight it because it they have a photograph. UGH. Makes me so bad.

We are finally back to school here.YAY. Tough morning but we all got out the door and made it on time. This afternoon will be a little bit of a juggling act but I think it will all work out...

run was 7.5 miles, beautiful morning. I am really buckling down on eating, it just got out of control the second half of last year and I am unhappy with my weight.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-08 9:39 AM
Nice run! It was great. I felt like I could've kept going!

I'm trying to buckle down too. Good times. : pbbt:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 10:08 AM
Sounds like a nice run today. I did not eat too poorly during our travels but feel a bit better now getting back to my regular boring food routine. More control at home.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 10:16 AM
I'm glad we don't have those here! Especially the one I run every morning when nobody is around
Parent - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:48 AM
January always feels like a good time to reset the eating habits.  You have been so busy these last few months - makes other things harder to keep up with.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 2:49 PM
Dried fruit and salted almonds are my new snack of choice!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2019-01-08 10:44 AM
Never gotten an automated/photo type traffic ticket. :WHEW!:

Did a 2000 meter swim this morning.  Went to our "sister" center that's equi-distant from my house so I could take a shower before I left.

Ran into a spin instructor I know from when we both taught at the same club.  "Triplet Keli" many of us called her since there was a Kelly and a Keli of staff, both teaching spin.  Keli had a maternity leave from the job for a while to have triplet girls...who were walking in to the gym with her this morning. Had to share my granddaughter news since Keli and my daughter are the same age.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:49 AM
I had to read the triplet story a couple of times before I got the hang of it.  :laugh: Obviously not quite awake yet here.  :blush:
- - By skigirl Date 2019-01-08 10:55 AM
My daughter was complaining bitterly about how cold it was this morning and made the comment that she bet I wasn't walking to work in THIS weather.  So of course I had to walk.  :laugh:  -22C with allegedly a windchill of -28C (that's -7 and -13 F) although I didn't feel much wind.  It was fine, actually.  We've had a lot of snow lately and it has covered the ice on the sidewalks so I actually felt comfortable and safer walking than I have when the temperatures have been bouncing around freezing and making the sidewalks an icy mess.  (Have I mentioned lately how much I hate ice?)

Will be heading to the gym after work for cardio/strength.

In answer to your question - I didn't get my driver's license until I was 27 and still don't drive much.  I've only ever had one speeding ticket.  My daughter was in the car with me when I got pulled over and took great glee in informing EVERYONE she crossed paths with for the next week about it.  : pbbt::blush::laugh:  I was going 70 km/h in a 50 km/h zone (I thought the limit was 60 km/h) so it was hard to argue.  :blush:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 2:50 PM
OK, that's crazy cold. :shocker!:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-08 11:02 AM
4 easy, recovery miles this morning.  I feel remarkably good after Sunday's marathon (knock wood).  Since the race was in a fieldhouse, I was able to locate a foam roller and used that for a good 15 minutes after the race.  Who knew that could be so helpful?  <------rhetorical, as everyone knows that but me!>  Will go to boxing class tonight.

Oh yeah, I've been caught in speed traps plenty 'o times.  The most aggravating one was a year ago on New Year's Day, when I was heading to the 8:15 am start of a half marathon.  I was less than a quarter mile from the parking lot where the race started and got pulled over.:cry:  The officer asked where I was in such a hurry to get to......it was obvious as I was wearing my race bib and he was obviously there to assist with the race.  After checking me out on his computer, he let me off with a warning.  I was going about 45 in a 30 mph zone, so he was definitely right about pulling me over.  Plus, he was there to keep runners safe and the race was about to start, so I felt grateful(?).:roll:  I got to the starting line in time, but did not have time for that last minute porto stop.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 3:41 PM
Good news on the recovery. Getting stopped/delayed on race morning would be nerve wracking. I am always worried about being late. At least you didn't get a ticket!
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2019-01-08 12:23 PM Edited 2019-01-08 12:30 PM
I will be a year ago in March.  I was driving down US 127 south of Van Wert, OH trying to synch a bluetooth speaker with my Nano.  When I looked up, a state trooper was coming towards me, and I realized I was 12 mph over the speed limit.  I never drive that fast on this highway, but I don't have cruise in the Vibe, so I'm guessing my right foot synched with my leaning over to my right and I picked up speed.  I was upset with myself, with not having cruise, with the trooper, and with the basic unfairness of life in general :laugh: 

Tonight: going into town to run with the "village."  If I'm successful at foregoing the adult beverages afterwards, it will be seven days of abstinence.  There is no big deal about this, other than to see if I can do it.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 3:42 PM
I was thinking about cutting down on my adult beverages but my beer fridge seems have other ideas.  :roll:

Good luck. :happy:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2019-01-09 4:24 AM
I did make it through the night, though I did leave a little earlier than usual.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:50 PM
I sometimes listen to a classical radio station, and once the announcer played the William Tell Overture once and cautioned drivers that the state patrol would not sympathize if they got carried away and drove fast to the music :grin: He said this was based on his own experience.  :laugh:

good job with the abstinence.  It's always a good idea from time to time to check and see whose in charge :wink:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2019-01-09 4:28 AM
It's always a good idea from time to time to check and see whose in charge

Agreed.  I shared my endeavor with only one person last night and was surprised to learn that she was considering the same thing, for very similar reasons.  For some reason, that made me feel better about my decision.  :happy:
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-08 12:56 PM
In Zurich, you get a very expensive ticket for entering an intersection as the light turns yellow.

You have to be very careful of the car in front of you at intersections as people will slam on their breaks when the light turns so as to avoid the cameras.  There are traffic cameras at almost every major intersection so you really have to be on your toes - something that challenging after a 12 hour flight.

No run yesterday - managed a 20k step walk though.  Still fighting through the flu and not feeling it yesterday.

Morning concalls today, so 10k steps in and plan on a 10k run after my noon con-call.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2019-01-08 3:44 PM
I will have to remember that if I ever make it to Zurich.

Iceland was strange... the yellow light came on just before switching to green. Felt like you were on the starting line of the Indy 500 or something.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:51 PM
I thought the yellow light meant "hurry up!"
- By nooner [us] Date 2019-01-08 1:24 PM
5 miles on the elliptical.

The knee was feeling good today so I bumped up the resistance. I’ve been working on my pushups during the time I haven’t been running and was able to get 55 done today. I will try for my age (59) in the next week or so.

I’ve been pulled for speeding but the trap that caught me was a toll booth when I was in Illinois for a race. I didn’t realize that the GPS was taking me on a toll road and there was no way to pay it manually. I got an email from the rental car company a few weeks later to collect the toll. The was a little penalty attached, but it wasn’t bad.
- - By N70SAK Date 2019-01-08 5:07 PM
I got a bogus photo-ticket coincidentally, right after the City of Los Angeles stopped using red light cameras. And coincidentally, I had just passed through a yellow and triggered a camera. The notice looked iffy and was easily confirmed. :meh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Dallas gave up on photo tickets.   Can any Texas peeps confirm this?
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2019-01-08 5:28 PM Edited 2019-01-08 5:31 PM
Funny you should mention traps :roll:  My nephew was busted for FTO in the last 100 miles of our trip on Thurs / Friday.  We stopped at a small town looking for some fast food.  It was just past sunset and there were NO LIGHTS on the ramps & overpasses.  My sis and I were in the lead vehicle and my nephew rolled through a stop sign trying to keep up with us.  We were the only ones around....except for the cop who pulled Tim over.  My nephew is deaf but has an cochlear implant.  He also has Aspergers, so he even when he isn't burned out from driving solid for two days, his face is not animated.  My sis turned our vehicle around and approached the cop IN THE DARK :shocker!::shocker!:to intercede.  It bothered the hell out of me that she did that -- she's so naive.  It worked out OK for them all -- think he just got a warning, maybe not even that.  She got things squared away, but in the time that was going on, I saw another cop pull over another vehicle and when I went to pick up my sister (no room in my nephew's car) dang it if there wasn't yet another cop hiding in the alley where I had pulled over.  :mutmad::mutmad:  I know drivers need to obey stop signs, but gees, it sure looked a lot like cherry picking, pulling over out of state drivers for minor infractions.  We drove to the nearest fast food, a Dairy Queen, and all of us needed to decompress.  I drove Tim's car the last 100 miles.  Oof.  We were all so tired.  

While we were resting, she started telling Tim how to handle a traffic stop, emphasizing that he needed to say immediately that he was deaf and then she said to show the police his implant. I interrupted and said as calmly as I could "NEVER MOVE YOUR HANDS WITHOUT TELLING A COP WHAT YOU'RE DOING !!!! "  Dear God.  Again, she's so naive.  :roll:

But back to today -- 5 miles, but for the first time in months, I did speed work, sort of.  Two one-mile repeats.  My running has been tired and slow.  Maybe this workout will freshen things up.  :dreambig:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2019-01-08 6:59 PM
Yeah - I bet that was hard all around.  How did the cop react to your sister stopping?  How did you nephew take it?

I got a similar ticket taking the kids to school several years ago, and though it was a completely stupid ticket and I may have bitched while he was approaching, I made dang sure to be a model of how to sit there and only be polite, not doing anything but what he asked.  And I made a point to tell the kids that the cop has no idea who we are or what we may do.  Do not ever give him the least reason to think otherwise.  and even though it was a stupid ticket, in the end I was wrong and he was right.  I deserved the ticket.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2019-01-09 4:30 AM
Amazing story about your nephew!  I'm glad it worked out for the best, but :shocker!:

Kudos on the speed work.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2019-01-08 6:08 PM
Yes. Once.

4.2 WINDY miles with my wife.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tuesdaily TRAP