Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Year New NRR Thread
- - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-05 5:16 PM
I don't have much exciting to say, but I miss all of you!
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-05 5:26 PM
Making food for people who are not me is hard. :laugh:  I like lots of veggies and lots of spice.  Other people?  Not so much.  It is slightly easier without the kids here, but A has a very restricted diet and Mom and Dad are not as adventuresome as I am.  Of course it seems that people are the most fond of foods that take the most time to make. :roll:  30 minute supper?  Rubbish.  3 hours?  Probably pretty good.  I did make some really good pumpkin dumplings (recipe) this week and made a rather tasty seitan shawarma.  I'm struggling with inspiration for the next week, but thinking about making pierogi one night.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2019-01-06 1:09 AM
I subscribe to the nyt recipe site. Get a few emails with recs a week and access to all the archives. I like getting new ideas and there are plenty of vegetarian options as well. With your sisters food restrictions it might not be as easy...are you the only one that does the cooking?
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-06 12:34 PM
Do the emails feature old recipes or just new ones?  I subscribe to the NYT daily briefing email, but the recipe in that email is always a new one.

Mom and I split the cooking, so I generally end up cooking about 3x/week.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2019-01-06 2:14 PM
Also old ones. It is the site I use most these days. Plenty of quick recipes and simple ones that work really well, which is important these days. It's 3 or 4 bucks a month and you also get access to the crosswords...:blush:
Parent - - By spccer6 [us] Date 2019-01-07 10:08 PM
I thought of you when my mom told my sister that I could not make the salad for Christmas dinner because I use spinach and my dad only likes iceberg lettuce.  We did not have salad on Christmas because what's the point of iceberg?  It has no taste or flavor.
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2019-01-08 7:13 AM
Iceberg lettuce here recently went from $1.79 to $2.99 per head! :meh:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-08 7:29 AM
:shocker!:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2019-01-11 12:34 AM
$2.99 a head for what is basically water in green crunchy form?
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-08 7:30 AM
:laugh::cry:  I think the fact that it has no flavor might be the point.  I think it's just supposed to be a crunchy vehicle for ranch dressing. : pbbt:
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2019-01-08 8:47 AM
Oh yeah, and "she uses those froofy dressings".  You know, raspberry vinaigrette.  Or anything that's not creamy and 1000 calories.  :laugh:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2019-01-08 6:46 PM
:laugh: Just when iceberg went up $ drastically, the whole country had romaine problems. And then there was a spinach debacle. :roll:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2019-01-11 12:36 AM
Iceberg lettuce is the vegetable equivalent of a rice cake.

No nutrition, no taste, and not really worth chewing. Its value lies in what it helps to convey.

(I had gestational diabetes and ate more peanut butter on rice cakes than any human being should consume.)
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2019-01-11 5:56 AM
Um I LOVE Iceberg lettuce. I mean the others are good too but on a hot summer day cold crisp iceberg wedge with cherry tomatoes shredded asiago cheese and a light citrus dressing...yum....
Parent - By judyruns Date 2019-01-11 9:28 AM
:::drool::: : pbbt:
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2019-01-15 1:44 PM
Well but then isn't the iceberg more for its texture? A crispness that contrasts to the cheese and tomato and dressing, and acts as a vehicle to get said components into the mouth? It does not seem to have the same flavour role - another role to be sure but not flavourfulness?
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2019-01-18 9:15 PM
I think that's a good description. A texture contrast. And these have their place.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2019-01-19 9:16 AM
Agree. We need those contrasts too.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2019-01-16 3:30 PM
Yeah, I like iceberg lettuce, too. It's nutritionally null, but the crisp crunch is nice. Also, I tried using other types of greens, but T-bone eventually looked pitiful and said he LIKES iceberg; can we please have it sometimes in our salads? And I totally caved. No regrets. :laugh:
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2019-01-16 10:13 PM
my guilty pleasure in the summer:  salad sandwich.

a good hearty bread, spread it with Miracle whip, one slice swiss cheese and a big hunk of iceberg lettuce.   delicious!  :cool:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2019-01-18 1:19 PM
That sounds good! I'll try it.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-09 3:33 AM
For what it's worth, I think the things you cook sound very interesting and delicious. It must be hard with all those restrictions too. But they should be happy that you bother at all, seems you do a lot for them already. I'm lucky that my extended family loves food and is rather adventurous so they are ready to try pretty much everything.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2019-01-15 1:14 PM
The struggle is real, swan dive. :meh:

Eldest daughter is home for Xmas break, and she mostly eats junk. Simple carbs, meat, and soda. Then she complains about being constipated and not feeling good. /blink, blink
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2019-01-15 1:43 PM
So very hard swandive. And rotten that you have to cook for people who do not appreciate all the work - and insist on their own ways when they will not put in the work to make it so. I think your veg and spice sounds fantastic, but even accounting for different tastes, people do not have to be unkind or ungrateful when they will not take up a portion of the work to make their own preferences.
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-09 3:36 AM
Miss you guys too. It would be great if we could have more discussions on here. There are so many things you can't discuss on Facebook because there are always some people there you don't want to see it. I'm doing great in my new apartment. Gradually finding new homes for my things and ever rediscovering things I packed 8 years ago and haven't seen since.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2019-01-09 5:37 AM
I can't discuss anything with you on Facebook because you mostly use this weird English with symbols and no c's or z's.....:laugh: Glad you are well. :hug:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-09 7:40 AM
:laugh::laugh: True!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2019-01-11 12:37 AM
The stuff was in boxes all that time?

Yikes. Glad you are doing well in your new apartment!
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2019-01-11 9:30 AM
:laugh: I first read your post as all the stuff in boxes was vowels. :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-13 3:02 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By judyruns Date 2019-01-13 8:36 AM
I was wondering if the dots in the "i"'s get packed separately. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2019-01-16 3:28 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-13 3:02 AM
Yes, when two people move in together after living alone for years, there's not space or need for everything. But that's nothing, there is stuff I've kept for 30 years or more, most of that is gone now! Still keep a few childhood mementos, but they are getting fewer and fewer with time. Yes, I really like here. :cool: And I don't miss H or my old house, which says a lot about last year. :meh:
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-13 10:45 AM
:hug:  I'm glad that you are enjoying the new place!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-18 2:45 AM
:hug::hug:
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2019-01-13 1:18 PM
:hug:  sounds like you really made the right choice. 
And yes, it's amazing how things just aren't as important as the years go by and I find myself able to let go of things I thought I would keep.  Minimalism is not for everyone, but it's very freeing for me.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-18 2:45 AM
Yes, I thought I would have some regrets, but i only feel relief.
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2019-01-14 6:48 PM
:hug:I'm glad you are happy.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-18 2:41 AM
Thanks! :hug:
Parent - - By kelly_v Date 2019-01-15 7:31 AM
sounds like you made a good decision. I do understand on the stuff too, I ended up getting rid of most of my stuff when I moved into my H's house years ago. Kept a few things I refused to get rid of but if there would have been room I would have had many more boxes for sure
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-18 2:44 AM
Yes, I'm gradually get rid of stuff I've had for decades. Stuff I never ever use.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2019-01-15 1:44 PM
:happy: :hug: I am happy you are happy Gunna
Thanks! :hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2019-01-16 3:29 PM
What you said about not missing H? That is confirmation you did the right thing by breaking up.

Glad you like your new home!
It is indeed. :cool: He was mostly working or on Youtube anyway so not much difference. And nobody criticizes me at home now.
Parent - - By easternshoregir [us] Date 2019-01-10 8:11 PM
Hi! Not much exciting to say either but here I am!
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-10 8:26 PM
Hi! :happy:
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2019-01-13 10:59 AM
Howdy!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2019-01-16 4:01 PM
One of my friends out here, T., hosted a dinner party some months ago that included her neighbor, Mary. I was absolutely delighted to meet Mary, who was one of those intelligent, creative, warm, fun people you sometimes have the good luck to run across. I was looking forward to getting to know her better, and it seemed like it was going to happen given that T-bone and I are good friends with T. and her husband, and we would naturally be thrown together in various ways.

Then Mary's husband, who had Alzheimer's, died suddenly shortly after that. And Mary passed away two months later, from an abdominal cancer that had apparently gone unnoticed while she was caring for her husband. :sad:

T. has been helping Mary's family since then by cleaning and sorting out Mary's possessions to get the house ready for sale. T. invited me to come by and see if I was interested in some of the not-salable items, like house plants; wine; cookbooks, etc.

And I went over, and y'all, it felt like Mary was still there, to the point where I automatically said "Hello!" to her as I walked in, and asked if I could tour the house. Which sounds creepy, but it was the exact opposite: I got this warm sense of welcome, such that it still makes me smile to think of it. (T. didn't even break stride; she just smiled and said, "Yeah, Mary's still here.")

And among other things, I did take some wine from the cellar, because the estate can't legally sell it, and it needed to be cleared out. There was a cardboard box with partitions for wine bottles in it, and I took about six bottles, or half a box full, and, not wanting to be greedy, decided that was plenty. And then I felt this *push*...I swear, Mary was pushing my hand back to the wine rack. T. was getting the same vibe and said, basically, that Mary didn't want me to leave without filling the rest of that box. We just started laughing, and I said, "Okay, okay, okay...! Mary, what wine do you think I should take?" And again, my hand felt steered in certain directions. A lovely port. Some very nice red wines from 1999-2003. And two bottles of homemade dessert wine, of unknown origin.

Mary loved to cook and to host parties, so I told her we'd have friends over and share these in company. I left feeling like I had really missed out by not having the chance to know her better, but also like I'd just had a good afternoon with her. Anyway, this is kind of a random story, but it was so happy, in its own weird way, that I had to share it with someone.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2019-01-17 9:18 AM
That is a very nice story, and a comforting experience in a way. :hug: People do leave imprints and a sense of themselves in areas where they spent much time, a feeling of companionship and presence even when not physically there. I am glad you had the chance to spend more time with Mary, even in an unconventional way. :cool:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-17 3:33 PM
Wow.  I hope you enjoy sharing the wine with friends. :hug:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-18 2:47 AM
Sounds like a nice lady and I'm sure she would approve. And at least you got to know her a little bit.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2019-01-18 9:17 PM
That is a nice story! People who linger don't have to linger because of a malign intent. I'm convinced that sometimes they want to accomplish something for the good of the living that they didn't manage to get done while they were here.
- - By stickywicket Date 2019-01-13 11:10 AM
I'm in a small rural town for a few days and someone found out I was Jewish - well, asked me point blank. He then shouted at me in a rage in the middle of a restaurant that antisemitism doesn't exist because the Jews are bringing it on themselves with what the Israeli government is doing to Palestinians. :meh: other people yelled at him to go home and he left.

Really beautiful little town but the magic is broken a bit. The guy seemed to be disturbed in some way, but that doesn't necessarily make me feel safer. Here for a few more days...
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2019-01-13 11:26 AM
WTF is wrong with people?  Or at least with that guy. :mutmad:  I'm glad the other people yelled him out of the restaurant.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2019-01-13 12:14 PM
Well, especially cool is that the statement disproves the claim as soon as he made it.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2019-01-16 4:02 PM
Right?

"I'm not a (fill in the blank), but..." always seems to confirm that yes, yes you ARE a (fill in the blank). :meh:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2019-01-13 4:23 PM
Ugh, how horrible. :mutmad: I wonder what goes on the mind of people like that.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2019-01-14 6:48 PM
:cry:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2019-01-14 9:56 PM
I am glad the other people yelled at him to leave. Jerk. Mistaken jerk at that.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2019-01-15 7:31 AM
whaaaaat??
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2019-01-15 1:45 PM
:mutmad::meh: Hope the remainder of the stay was uneventful...
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2019-01-18 10:23 AM
That sucks so very much :cry:.  Hope you are done there and safe.
Up Topic Communities / Women / New Year New NRR Thread