Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / 2019 Movie Thread
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-03 4:13 PM
I saw a bunch of movies recently and here are some musings on them.  :shocker!:  Feel free to join in the movie-related discussion.
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-03 4:21 PM
Spider-Man Into the Spider Verse.  Wasn't sure what to expect but really impressed -- clever, fun, visually distinctive.  9/10. 

Isle of Dogs.  I'd put this in my top 3 Wes Anderson movies -- thought it was very good.  8.5/10

Star is Born.  First half was very enjoyable, second half was less enjoyable, all well acted and some decent music to boot.  7.5/10.

Death of Stalin.  Great acting and clever, though I was mildly disappointed after reading a lot of good stuff about it.  7/10

Vice.  Good performances but didn't really hang together.  Maybe wait for Nextflix for this one.  5.5/10

Ready Player One.  Professionally crafted and somewhat entertaining, but pretty stupid.  4.5/10.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-03 8:18 PM
I have not seen Isle of Dogs yet, but want to soon. The Grand Budapest Hotel is not only my favorite Wes Anderson movie, it is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love that it is a "story". I love the acting, the colors, and the cinematography. I just love it all.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2019-01-04 9:54 AM
Your The Grand Budapest Hotel is my The Royal Tenenbaums. :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-04 12:10 PM
TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY LOBBY BOY!!

One of the greatest lines in any film, ever.:laugh:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2019-01-04 9:53 AM Edited 2019-01-04 9:57 AM
I agree with your 8.5/10 Isle of Dogs score when thinking of movies in general but when ranking Wes Anderson films I put it at the bottom. It was everything that one would expect of a Wes Anderson film but it fell a bit short for me.

My rankings of his films, and keep in mind that they are all GREAT and the gap between first and last is small, is as follows...

The Royal Tenenbaums
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Moonrise Kingdom
Rushmore
The Darjeeling Limited
The Life Aquatic
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Bottle Rocket
Isle of Dogs
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-04 12:10 PM
I need to rewatch Royal Tennebaums as I saw it when it came out a zillion years ago. I do recall loving it.  Budapest was SO visually extraordinary.  I have only seen about half of his films and need to remedy this asap!
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-04 2:17 PM
Interesting.  I rated IOD much higher because I think it allowed the purest expression of the portrait-style shots that are his signature of any of his movies while also telling an engaging, fun and politically relevant story.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-07 1:57 PM
I loved Isle of Dogs. 

I am now inspired to see Death of Stalin due to your lukewarm review.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-07 3:05 PM
It is good, but I had been primed to think it was going to be great, alas.  But since you now think it will be just ok, you'll probably love it.    :cool:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-07 4:05 PM
thank you for suitably lowering my expectations.  :happy:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-03 8:23 PM
On The Basis of Sex - The RBG biopic. It was enjoyable and I am very glad I saw it with Blazergirl, who was dismayed to find out women couldn't have their own checking accounts in the early 70's, among other things. :roll: That said, overall it just fine, nothing spectacular. As with all biopics, I like to read how it compares with the facts and of course they took liberties for dramatic effect. In this case, the truth would have made RBG look even more phenomenal!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-07 10:17 AM
we saw this on Saturday afternoon - I really enjoyed it, and admit to tearing up at the end when they fast forwarded to the real RBG walking up the steps :hug:
favorite line "actually, I learned that at Columbia" :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-07 1:59 PM
I saw an exhibit about her life at a local museum recently.  Admittedly, I knew very little about her before the exhibit and it was a huge eye opener, especially the challenges she faced in becoming employed, despite her incredible education.  :shocker!:  I am looking forward to seeing this film.
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-07 3:06 PM
I almost saw that yesterday but it turned out to be kind of a nice day, so no movies for me.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 8:42 AM
That might be on our agenda for this coming weekend.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-04 8:57 AM
Over our Christmas/NY road trip we were able to squeeze in some movies.

Spiderman Into the Spiderverse  enjoyable for what it was, boys were very excited to see it. 6/10
Green Book I really enjoyed it, even sitting in a theater in Tucson and being the only brown person around. I liked reading the follow up info during the credits about Dr. Shirley and Tony's relationship after their road trip. and I pretty much enjoy most things that Viggo Mortenson does 8/10
Vice  if you saw the Big Short you pretty much know the slant of the movie, it's still enough to get your goat over some of the stuff our government does. End credits again amusing, and Christian Bale looked crazy with all that extra weight and very much like Dick Cheney. 7/10
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-08 10:52 AM
Saw VICE last night, with the kids.  Both were horrified by him.  The tools used to condense his acts/beliefs were great, though after the movie, I did have to point out things such as the formation of ISIS, is not a direct result of Cheney hiding a memo from Bush.....there was a bit more to it.:roll:  I was distracted in certain scenes and couldn't figure out why.  After the movie, filmboy noted how many scenes when we were supposed to focus simply only on Cheney, were shot with a blah-blah lens (I don't recall what blazerboy called it). This made everything else in the shot ever so slightly blurred so we would only look at Cheney.  Kinda how he only thought of how things would affect him. 

I enjoyed it....7/10.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-08 11:08 AM
it was also interesting how they portrayed Lynn - like, she was really unlikeable.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-08 2:44 PM
They portrayed her as very unlikeable.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 8:44 AM
Herself and I saw Vice last weekend. Mostly enjoyed it, but somehow, the last third of the movie didn't quite hold together for me. Maybe it's a consequence of seeing a set of characters most of whom are presented without any redeeming characteristics.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-09 11:02 AM
Blazerboy was actually disappointed when Dick supported his gay daughter when she came out as he wanted to completely hate Dick. :roll::laugh:  The fact he was a good father in that case added humanity to him.  I am sure the Cheneys have some redeeming character traits, BUT.....I do not believe Lynne would not have been publicly any-gay marriage had at least one of her parents advised her to be that way in order to win her seat.
Parent - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2019-01-15 9:41 AM
Interestingly, Liz Cheney actually dropped out of that race about a month after her anti-gay marriage declaration for the Wy Senate (the movie omitted this) and ended up winning the Wy House seat in 2016.  So, it didn't have any effect on the campaign mentioned in the movie.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2019-01-15 3:02 PM
I want to see Vice, too.  Partly because my daughter might be going to the University of Wyoming, Cheyney’s alma mater.  When we toured the university late last year, there are a few Cheyney buildings and a lot of funding by the Cheyneys.  I heard the NPR interview of Christian Bale last year along with the director.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard Christian Bale speak out of movie character.  When I see him in movies, I forget he is British and has a thick accent.  I kept saying “that can’t be Christian Bale”.  He does seem perfect (since he is a bit of an asshole) to play the part of Cheyney.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2019-01-17 8:00 AM
I enjoyed Bird Box. :blush:
I mean, sure, it's not realistic but it was entertaining.
- - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-07 1:55 PM
The following are my musings on some films that I have seen (on Netflix/Prime Video). 

Mao's Last Dancer - 7 out of 10 Based on a true story of a Chinese dancer during the Communist era who visits the United States.  I am a sucker for any and all dance films so perhaps my evaluation was overly rosy.  However, it was a well told tale with interesting history and a hot protagonist.  Recommended!

Roma 6.5 out of 10   This highly acclaimed movie from Alberto Cuaron was beautifully made and elevated daily toil into the realms of the spiritual.  This is an emotional tale about class and power in Mexico of the 70's.  It also resonated with me personaly, as we employed a beloved babysitter, Mia, from El Salvador who helped raise my kids when they were little and she remains an honorary member of the family (although in our case, she was highly paid and drove a better car than I do : pbbt:).  Despite all the ballyhoo, there is fundamentally something missing in this movie.  It is hard to relate to any of the characters, so perhaps that is it. 

Bird Box - 5 out of 10.  I watched only half of this wildly popular movie on Netflix.  Unfortunately, it seemed so stupid and contrived that my kid and I couldn't get through any more of it.   Nonetheless, now I am perplexed and intrigued that I will never know what horrible force caused all the mayhem that ensued in the half that I watched.  I may have to finish this clunker just to find out -- or perhaps someone will be kind enough to post some spoilers so I don't have to waste my time. :happy::hug:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-07 3:09 PM
I liked the part where she kept shouting, "Who's that hiding in the bird box??"   :wtf::shocker!::cry:

I started Roma but didn't finish it.   I found it a big hard to connect with the characters and then there was a naked guy doing martial arts moves for no good reason, so I thought "maybe this one isn't for me."
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-07 4:04 PM
why must spoilers be so cryptic nowadays?  :cry::cry:

Whereas, my thinking upon seeing the naked guy was more along the lines of: "Mexico in the 70's must have been an awesome place."
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2019-01-08 9:59 AM
All that I know about Bird Box I've learned from memes on Instagram.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-08 10:53 AM
Me too!:laugh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2019-01-08 6:09 PM
:high five:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2019-01-08 10:57 AM
same here. I just don't care for it. Same with Black Mirror: Bandersnatch.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-08 12:19 PM
I'm half way through that one too.  :laugh:

It turns out I made some wrong choices early on and had to repeat the day over to atone for my poor decision making :cry::cry:
Parent - By jennyO Date 2019-01-08 12:51 PM
I liked Bird Box for what it was, though I agree it was pretty ludicrous.  **SPOILER ALERT** No effing way could anyone - let alone all effing three of them! - have survived those rapids blindfolded.  No effing way.  Without even a scratch. :roll::roll:

Bandersnatch was fun, but ultimately I left it feeling pretty empty.  I'm not a gamer, though, so perhaps that would have been my experience regardless of how good it was.  Neat idea, but mainly I'm just hoping it means they're going to launch a new season of Black Mirror episodes soon.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2019-01-08 3:38 PM Edited 2019-01-08 3:42 PM
Re: Bird Box: Is it a spoiler if I tell you that you know as much about the horrible force that caused all the mayhem only having watched half of the movie as you would if you watched the entire movie? :wtf::laugh: At which point did you turn it off? I spent the entire movie yelling at the screen, but I was determined to watch the entire thing after reading so much about it.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-09 10:46 AM
dammit!  I should have read this before watching the rest last night.  :cry:: pbbt: 
The second half was even less satisfactory than the first half.  :meh: 
I did find it mildly entertaining however, and Tom was hot so that made up for a lot of inexplicable plot elements.  :mischief:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-09 10:50 AM
I liked it when Tom tipped the bird box over, thus defeating the monster.  :cool:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2019-01-09 6:14 PM
if only you had been consulted on the script....your suggestions could only have improved this movie.
- - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2019-01-08 12:43 PM
I saw one! :grin: My bff and I went to see Bohemian Rhapsody. It was ok. A biopic's a biopic. Fine performance from the lead. 7/10?
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2019-01-08 1:00 PM
Edited to remove terrible joke :sad:

Yay Brookie :hug:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2019-01-08 1:29 PM
boo I missed it:sad::hug:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2019-01-08 7:51 PM
I just learned on Monday that the "I want to break free" music video was banned in the US when it came out :shocker!::roll:
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2019-01-09 7:49 AM
I didn't know that either until I saw the movie. Not really surprising, tho, :roll:
- By cowboyjunkie Date 2019-01-08 1:48 PM
I'm glad to see all the Bird Box comments. I think I'll avoid that one.

I saw A Star is Born late last year and thought it was okay..could have used some editing.

I saw a movie called Dumplin' on Netflix a week or so ago. That was okay.

I want to see Vice and The Wife (after reading about the movie after Glenn Close won a Golden Globe) and watching the trailer.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2019-01-08 3:42 PM
Bird Box: I yelled at the screen the entire time. : pbbt: I only watched it because of the hype. 5/10 because I was mildly entertained.

Aquaman: I knew nothing about this movie before I saw it. I enjoyed it a lot. 8/10

The Girl With All the Gifts: I am halfway through this, I read the book and so far the movie seems to be a pretty good adaptation. 7/10

The Mule: I thought it was kind of predictable but I enjoyed it nonetheless. 7/10
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-09 9:39 AM
we really liked The Mule too. The pulled pork sandwiches stop was pretty funny.
- By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2019-01-09 8:57 AM
We've seen:

Vice: Oy, so much badness.
Mary Poppins Returns: A lot of fun, brings good vibes of the original.
Mary Queen of Scots: Pretty good. Love Saiorse Ronan and Margot Robbie.
The Favourite: I overall liked it, but it felt a bit slow in places.
Bohemian Rhapsody: Fun movie, if a little paint-by-numbers.
A Star Is Born: Too long.
Green Book: Pretty good.
Can You Ever Forgive Me?: Loved it. Fascinating story.
First Man: Saw it twice. Amazing.
The Sisters Brothers: Had to see it because I loved the book so much. The movie didn't disappoint.

I had really hoped to see Support the Girls, but that never played around here. Not sure if it has made it to any streaming platforms yet, but Leave No Trace is fantastic.

This weekend, I want to see If Beale Street Could Talk and On the Basis of Sex. Also, our local multiplex has singalong screenings scheduled for Bohemian Rhapsody. That might be too tempting to pass up!
- By blazer85 [us] Date 2019-01-14 12:10 PM
This weekend, I saw Green Book which is worthy of all the praise.

Also since blazerboy had not yet seen, I rewatched A Star Is Born and loved it even more than the first viewing a couple of months ago.  I think part of my enjoyment was enhanced by the fact that immediately after my first viewing, I added three songs from the soundtrack to my running playlist and am now super familiar with them.  The first time I felt it may have been a touch too long, but this time, I thought it was perfect.
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2019-01-14 12:35 PM
The Upside  I have liked Kevin Harts stand-up, but tend to avoid his movies. Bryan Cranston however is the bees knees, and we had a free night, so what the heck. mrbarney and I both really enjoyed the film. it's got funny moments, and super realistic situations that showcase the issues differently abled people can face. definitely worth a watch 8/10
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / 2019 Movie Thread