Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Cat pee
- - By stickywicket Date 2018-12-12 1:21 AM
Howdy folks! So I'm visiting my parents at the moment with my two little dudes. (How did a the 40 hr flight with no bassinet seat, a 4 months old and a 4 yr old go, you ask? That is a tale for another post. )
My parents' stupid cat peed right in the middle of the Twig and ministicky 's suitcase. He got a good part of the clothes and the suitcase bottom smelling nice and good. How do I get rid of the odor?:cry:

Dangerously close to naked twigs and sticks...
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-12-12 7:06 AM
1.  Put the peed-on clothes in a plastic bag.
2.  Sprinkle with baking soda.
3.  Pour vinegar over the clothes
4.  Seal the bag
5.  Throw the bag in the garbage.

You can also skip steps 2 and 3.  : pbbt: 

You are welcome.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-12-12 10:24 PM
:cry:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-12-12 7:20 AM
You see a disaster of looming tragedy. I see an excuse to go to Target/(insert favorite store here) for hours and buy all new clothing and suitcase - maybe even your parents picking up the tab?
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-12-12 12:03 PM
I'm in a country sans target, in my parents house which is in the boonies, and have work to do - not on vacay yet. So there will be no shopping trips for at least another week.
Naked twiggies it is. :cry:
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-12-12 12:55 PM
Amazon? Usually I hate them but this time I'd consider. Or shipping from a store in your country? Unless you are in the middle of Antarctica I bet there is 2 day shipping option available.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-12-12 9:19 AM
I think it's safe to say that the cat doesn't like children invading his/her space. :cry:

I have no idea what is available where your parents live, but here you can buy spray cleaners specifically for eliminating odors from pet urine.  A quick Google search suggests that you need an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle.  In the US you would likely find it at the grocery store, a pet store, or at a store like Target/WalMart.
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-12-12 10:22 PM
Both my parents' old cat and old dog died since the last time we were here. These new two are like opposites. Rambunctious and not well behaved. And my parents are the worst dog trainers in the world.

I'm trying to feed the Twig as we speak and he's basically wearing a cat on his head with a tail twitching over his eyebrow. :meh:Keep having to push her away. Normally I'd be amused but sleep deprivation plus urine make Sticky mad.
Parent - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-12-12 9:32 AM
But seriously....

those "fragrance crystals" that they have by Downy or other manufacturers that you can put in the laundry are good about getting out stink. 

https://www.amazon.com/Downy-Unstopables-Wash-Booster-Packaging/dp/B07BHXTZVB/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1544628723&sr=8-5&keywords=laundry+products

Oxyclean works well for the stain part.

The suitcase - they have a product on the market called "Nature's miracle" that I know a lot of pet owners swear by. 

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-Remover-Control-Formula/dp/B072FW1RPV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544628758&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=nature%27s+miracle&psc=1
Parent - - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-12-12 10:34 AM
Throw the suitcase away and buy another one. Not kidding. Spend money, save all the time and agony of trying to fix a problem that can't be completely solved.

Signed,

Has 5 male cats:meh:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-12-12 10:23 PM
So it never goes away?:cry: it's so gross. And meanwhile my mom must have lost some of her sense of smell. She's like, I can't smell anything...
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-12-13 9:27 AM
Cat pee is nasty stuff.  I've found that if you can wash it out very quickly after it's happened you might be able to get it out.  If you've washed/then dried something and it still smells the odds go way down as to whether you might be able to get rid of the smell. It's easier to get it off of things like a blanket or bath mat you can wash but not off of something you can't wash like a suitcase.  You can try vinegar and then some baking soda since you probably can't get the other stuff.  As far as the suitcase I'd say probably not.  And if you put any clothes in it to transport the stench will get on those clothes. If you must use the suitcase on teh way back I'd probably triple bag stuff you put inside it!!! If it's white and you can use bleach you probably can get the scent out for you.  Keep anything else off the floor or in closets to avoid in the future.  So if mini kicks a blanket off on the floor I'd make sure it isn't left on the floor.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-12-18 5:52 PM
Agree, throw out the suitcase. We had to rip up carpets and throw out the couch after Ed did her worst on it.

Cat pee stinks.

For the clothes, I would try Nature's Miracle or something similar, or other products as suggested. Or do your parents have friends who have grandchildren a little bigger than mini and/or twig? Borrow clothes.

Go to a thrift store, jumble sale, or whatever might have kids' clothes.

Twig will not know or care about fashion (he's 4 months, right?) so all he needs, I'm guessing, is a nappy and a sleeper/onesie/Babygro.

Mini will be more conscious of what he's wearing, presumably. But shirt, shorts, underpants, sandals should do him unless it's cold where your parents are, in which case sweatshirt, pull on pants, undies, socks, trainers.

And keep the cat out of the room and put the clothes away. Cats do not like change and they have a nasty way of letting you know they do not approve.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-12-13 10:58 AM
For things that you don't care if the colors change, hydrogen peroxide works wonders.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-12-14 6:33 PM
Late to the party here, but...two thoughts:

For clothes: go to Home Depot or Lowes or Wal-Mart and get a bottle of Nature's Miracle + Oxy-Clean spray, and a tub of Oxy-Clean powder. Spray the bejesus out of the clothes, making sure to saturate the pissed-on areas. Next, put all the clothes from the suitcase in the washer. Dump the remainder of the bottle on the clothes and make sure they to stir them all together. Put a scoop of the Oxy-clean over the clothes, and add detergent as directed. Wash on the "warm" setting, if the clothes allow it. If not, use cold.

Let drain. Wash a second time with the Oxi-clean/detergent combo. Sniff well. If you smell any remaining cat pee, wash a third time.

For the suitcase, I would honestly recommend replacing it if you can. If you cannot possibly replace it, get more of the Nature's Miracle + Oxy-Clean solution, spray the case thoroughly, and let sit a bit. Then rinse out. This may require using a hose outside, or the bath tub. Either way, rinse it thoroughly. If necessary, get a scrub brush and scrub a paste of water and Oxy-Clean powder into the nasty spots. Let sit. Rinse again. Repeat as needed.
- - By judyruns Date 2018-12-12 12:03 PM
Given the fact that cats and other animals have excellent powers of picking up scents, I suspect it would be better to get all new stuff. :cry: Otherwise, the items in question would perhaps be targets forever to future animal activity even if the humans could not pick up the scents. :sad:
Perhaps your parents would help with $ for new things (It's holiday time!) since it was their cat who...er...offended.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-12-13 6:41 AM
My mom can't seem to smell it. For me and ministicky it's like a skunk sat on their clothes.

So you're saying mini and the Twig are going to get peed on everywhere they go?
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-12-13 6:08 PM
I surely hope Mini and Twig will never get peed on. You've been through more than enough.
I'm always very skeptical once an animal sprays "its territory" (which is not an accurate assessment on the part of said animal).
Up Topic Communities / Women / Cat pee