Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / December's Book Club
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-12-06 9:01 AM
It took me over three months, but I finally finished The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy, author of The Great Santini.  I've already placed a hold on The Water Is Wide.  It's about his time as a teacher.  I also picked up Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush by Jon Meacham again.  Maybe I'll actually read it this time. 

I'm dabbling in other stuff I've got sitting around, most of which is non-fiction and stuff I've read before.  A chapter here, a chapter there...

Hope the preparation for the holiday season isn't negatively affecting your reading too much.
- By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-06 9:46 AM
I'm been reading Russell Brand's book Recovery "Freedom from our Addictions" about the 12 steps of AA (recovery from various addictions).  I don't have an addiction but I like reading stuff like this to change behaviours I have that I would rather not and to understand what addicts are trying to achieve when they have addictions.  :hug:  Also I really like Russell Brand
- - By donnasaur Date 2018-12-06 10:04 AM
I just finished "My Year of Rest and Relaxation" last night and really loved it. I usually read two books at a time-because I'm crazy like that. So the book I was already reading is Michelle Obama's "Becoming" I am only about 25% through and, you guys, it is so good. She can weave a story and write beautifully and I just really miss her. I have heard a lot about the book and it does not disappoint.

The second book I am reading is "Unhinged" by Omarosa. She is not an eloquent writer, but her stories are good. I'm not sure I will read the whole thing, I could see her getting to me after a while. She is a bit self righteous.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-06 9:28 PM
Based on your glowing recommendation, I have started Into The Woods by Tana French. Thanks!:hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-07 7:19 AM
That's a good one.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-07 9:19 AM
If you like it read her Dublin Murder Squad books, they are terrific.
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-07 9:26 AM
Currently reading An American Marriage by Tayari Jones and Immigrant, Montana by Amitava Kumar.

In November, I read Eliza Hamilton by Tilar J. Mazzeo, Ninety-Nine Glimpses of Princess Margaret by Craig Brown, The Runner: Four Years Living and Running in the Wilderness by Markus Torgeby, I'll Be There for You: The One About Friends by Kelsey Miller, French Exit by Patrick deWitt, and Fox 8 by George Saunders.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-12-11 2:08 PM
I saw An American Marriage referenced in a New Yorker article.  Do you like it?
- By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-12-07 5:23 PM
I am reading Impossible Owls, a book of essays by Brian Phillips.  Some of them were previously published elsewhere, and I've read most of those, but they're all very good, and worth a reread.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-12-11 2:07 PM
Just heard of an author I plan to check out: Robin Cook.  He has a new book out called Pandemic, but first I want to read Coma.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-11 3:16 PM
:laugh::laugh:
- By gadget girl Date 2018-12-11 2:42 PM
I finished the book Waking Lions by Ayelet Gundar Goshen.  I thought it was awful - a clunky plot with lots of holes in it.  characters who were all unlikable and a cynical premise  that just wasn't interesting or enjoyable.  Unfortunately, I have to lead a discussion about this train wreck for my book club tonight.  I didn't pick this book, but I am going to make damn sure I pick the next one.
- By sideshowbob Date 2018-12-11 2:56 PM
Tried to wade through The Sisters Brothers , a Western by Patrick Dewitt, and soon to be a major motion picture  but I quit . This would be my nominee for the Bulwer -Lytton worst novel award.
Instead , in preparation for spending the holidays in Savannah, I'm well into Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt . I saw the movie years ago which starred youknowwho, but as usual the book is better.
- By jennyO Date 2018-12-12 5:49 PM
I'm reading The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry and listening to The witch Elm by Tana French.  I'm going full Irish, I guess you might say!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / December's Book Club