Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tuesday's Trees Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 6:59 AM
No debates over which is better.  Just describe your Xmas trees and related customs along with your daily workout and blather.  And if you don't celebrate or decorate, no worries.  Tell us about your day or anything else you might like to do.  Just post :happy:
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:04 PM
My family buys a potted or ball&burlap live tree each year, and we plant it in our back yard in the spring. We have 5 acres and most of it was just open field when we bought the house, so we are trying to grow a veritable forest on our property. So far we have five Christmas trees in the backyard. We also bought an artificial tree last year because the live tree we bought was too large to bring into the house, so it spent the winter in our driveway, and we only planted it once we were able to coerce our farmer neighbor to bring his tractor with some forks to come by and help us plant it.

I haven't run in a few days since coming down with hand foot & mouth disease (thanks kids) but I am feeling well enough today do so some core stuff. I'm working from home and using the ab roller and some dumbbells while waiting for my queries to run. So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-04 1:58 PM
That's a really neat tradition!  :happy:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:15 PM
HFMD - :cry:  glad you're feeling better. 

I love that you plant your Christmas trees :hug:  Do you choose the same variety each year, or do you mix it up?
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-12-05 7:32 AM
We try to mix it up, but we are running out of options! We have a blue spruce, a Norwegian spruce, a white pine, an Alberta spruce, and I can't remember the others.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:33 PM
oh, HFMD - we are very, very familiar with that in my house. My two year old has had it THREE!! times in the past year. Luckily, nothing ever was transmitted to me or my husband, but the little one was pretty miserable.

love the plant a tree tradition.
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:30 PM
5k on the embarcadero, cold (for here) and no cruise ships and less tourists than usual.  Negative split the out and back run by almost 1 minute.

I have an artificial tree (green and all that).  I have ornaments going back 30 years as each year I get a couple (a tradition my late wife started).  So there are ornaments representing vacations, this years Big Sur medallion and then just stuff I like.  My wife liked birds so I have probably 40 birds (You mean your tree doesn't have a seagull, a pelican and a flamingo on it?) and several nice old crystal ornaments (courtesy of Oakland white elephant sale).  Other holiday customs include eating and this year Natalie made a batch of Nocino (a Liquer made w/ green walnuts) that's been quietly aging in my bar and smells wonderful.  I also have a friend that made a holiday CD of chirstmas music that I bust out every year because I really like it.  Did I mention eating?
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 6:50 PM
That all sounds very good.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 7:10 PM
If I can have a Diet Coke can, then you can have birds. It sounds lovely! :hug:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 7:07 AM
Day off of work, but I still get up the usual time.  I just feel better keeping a routine.  Ankle still is tender and ouchy, but looks better.  I took a chance and ran gingerly.  I went a new route over old roads in a neighborhood that I'd sometimes hit during a long run.  It's much closer to newgym now, but I do have to run ~0.5 mile down a highway.  There is a grass shoulder to jump on when cars come, but that part isn't particularly safe for anyone.  Ankle seems OK and I only tapped it twice as I was slowing to a stop.  Then the Plyometric video.  I'm not sure if I improved any from last week, but I tried.

I am allergic to all trees and our 5 cats have peeing problems => all fake for us.  We have a 9' in the foyer, a 7.5 foot in our bedroom (the one we bought 25 years ago when first married), a 4' one that sits on DS2's radiator cover and looks full size from the outside, and a 5' one outside on the porch.  Clear light on the 9' foyer tree.  small colored lights on the inside other 2 and the big bulb colored lights on the outside tree.  The 2 main trees probably suffer from ornament overload, but I :hug: ornaments.  I wouldn't be surprised if we had over 1000.  Every place we go, those are my souvenirs.  And, every year I get an ornament with the kids' picture on them.  This is much easier now in the digital world! vs the old days of cutting and putting into framed ornaments.  And you can make such neat ones now too!  Then, we have a gazillion hallmark ones and double that for the ones the kids made and even some that DH & I made when we were little.  One of the favorites is a plastic rudolph head that I believe topped a candy cane tube - I chewed its nose off when I was about 2 or so.  He always gets a special place on our upstairs tree.  And of course, the regular generic ornaments.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 8:12 AM
Glad your ankle is feeling better.

And wow on all the Christmas trees! It must look incredible. I like the tradition of picking up ornaments/souvenirs.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 8:18 AM
Your trees sound beautiful and fun! :grin::grin:
Glad your ankle is feeling better!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 8:27 AM
OK, I love your tree traditions. We have a nice fake tree and a ton of ornaments, so maybe someday we'll be motivated to bring back that as part of our holiday tradition.

Glad your ankle is feeling better. Enjoy your day off! :cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-04 8:28 AM
Your house sounds very festive!   :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:27 AM
I'm picturing Will Farrell in his elf costume applauding your house!:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:42 AM
Oh! I forgot to mention DH and I got ornaments at every place we could on our road trip honeymoon earlier this year. It was fun reminiscing when we decorated the tree! :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:58 AM
I really love seeing people who love Christmas like you do! it sounds like many of your ornaments have special meaning :hug:
Parent - By AgelessDave Date 2018-12-04 11:56 AM
My wife is very ornamental too. We have them from her growing up years and always get ornaments for trips, occasions, etc. we also buy ornaments for our daughters as Christmas gifts each year.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:33 PM
your trees sound so special! But damn, a lot of work too! :laugh:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 8:02 AM Edited 2018-12-04 8:28 AM
My awful secret is that we haven't even bothered to put up our tree for the past few years. It has felt like everyone is so busy during December anymore that putting up the tree, decorating it, and then taking it down just seems like a lot of effort. Personally, I'd rather focus my available time on baking (of course) and doing other holiday-related things. We usually give in and get a little decorative fir-type plant and use that as a tree stand-in.

(This is a moment where I can relate my work indignity from last week. When I was talking to boss about amount of time I have left to take off and days I was planning to be out this month, boss said it would be better if I took off same days as another annoying colleague because that would mean I'd be around to keep things going and nothing -- *nothing* -- is more valuable and important than the work that annoying colleague does :roll:. I was all: You mean I now have to take the same vacation days as that asshole? :roll:)

Anyway.

Other holiday traditions: Cookie Day, for sure. I'm not really a churchgoer anymore, but I love to go to Christmas Eve Mass. I love holiday music (specifically, I must hear certain songs, including O Holy Night, the versions by Mahalia Jackson and Josh Groban; a Salsoul Christmas song that I love because the vocalist sounds like she's singing Murray Christmas instead of Merry Christmas; and several others). Also, one of our local stores makes these giant chocolate chip cookie cakes, which are ridiculous to start with and even more ridiculous when they're completely slathered with artery-clogging frosting, which is something that happens during the holidays. I'll most likely get one of those and make myself sick eating it. :laugh:

12.12 mi this morning. Forecast is making me think that today might be the last day for shorts for a while. :sad:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 8:13 AM
That work thing is just :cry::cry:

Who wouldn't like cookie day :grin::cool:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 8:17 AM
I love Christmas mass music too! I tear up big time in O Holy Night. :hug:
That's a total bummer about the work thing. :mutmad:

Nice run! I like the number.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 8:30 AM
I feel like I've read that O Holy Night is really difficult to sing, so with that in mind, I have come to really appreciate the beautiful versions of that song that are available. (I also have to turn off renditions that make me cringe!)
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 8:36 AM
I would agree!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 8:18 AM
I totally respect the no tree deal! Im all about tossing the traditions you don't care for, keeping the ones you do, and maybe make some of your own. We do have a cookie tradition. Definitely not as elaborate as yours! But it fits us. But I don't do and will never do a big holiday meal (or Thanksgiving meal). I don't like it so I'm not doing it just because I'm suppose to. To each their own :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-04 8:32 AM
We've been the same way with Christmas trees lately. I justify it because we are usually travelling south and who wants to come home after a long road trip and have to take down the tree.  :blush:

The work/time off thing is just stupid.  :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:30 AM
Your work situation.:meh:

I always love to hear about your Cookie Day! I still have all the recipes that you and everyone else posted years ago on the marathon forum. :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 10:34 AM
I also forgot - I love Xmas music. I might even listen to it in the summer :blush:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 10:45 AM
Me too. :blush: Sirius XM has a holiday channel online all year long. There are some good new holiday albums this year, and it's been fun listening to those as well as the classics.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:44 AM
Murray Christmas :laugh::laugh:

Work :mutmad::roll::meh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:03 AM
your work shit just drives me crazy for you!

I forgot to put food traditions in my post, which is a shame because that is really my favorite part of the holidays!
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 8:16 AM Edited 2018-12-04 8:19 AM
5 miles with my Tuesday pals. We meet at KAT's house and she overslept. She felt terrible but I like that route so all good.

It was chilly but not windy so good run! I'm feeling a little beat up lately so we went slower and I'm going to roll, stretch, ice, etc. :cry::laugh:

We've never gotten a real tree but we are planning to do that this year. Funny, this a.m. Jack was like is anyone allergic to Christmas trees in our family? Uhh, guess we will find out soon. Wouldn't that be the pits? :laugh: Oh yeah, we try to get ornaments everywhere we visit so we've got a lot of travel memories on our tree. :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 8:26 AM
I had all these dreams this morning about waking up late and I didn't know if I was really waking up late or not :laugh:

Hope the tree is sneeze free!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 8:31 AM
Jack was like is anyone allergic to Christmas trees in our family? Uhh, guess we will find out soon.

:laugh:

Hope that it all works out with the tree!

Everyone writing about ornaments is making me feel bad about our boxes of ornaments that haven't seen daylight in years. :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:33 AM
My husband says he's allergic to real trees, but he's never had a reaction.:roll: We use a fake tree just in case, but one of these years... I love how real trees smell.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 10:35 AM
Benedryl in the stockings for everyone! :laugh:

I think that's what I like so much about the trees. They are like sparking memories :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:45 AM
:hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:05 AM
Rolling sounds so painful/good right now.

Have fun getting a real tree!
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 12:45 PM
I should send you a surfing Santa ornament that someone gave me.  :grin:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 12:48 PM
It could be my VB ornament. I didnt get one there :cry:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 1:23 PM
its from Tahiti but same difference : pbbt:

Oops I just realized it is a magnet.  Dammit.  I'll find you an appropriate VB ornament forthwith.  :cool::cool:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 1:31 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 8:21 AM
I had PT first thing. Hope to get out for 7 or 8 after work. The sun may even be out. First time since Thanksgiving. I'm itching to do a long run. I haven't done anything over 10 in a while. Hamstring feels good but I asked the PT today if the shot could still be masking things and she said it's different for everyone as to how long it lasts :roll: I wanted to try 15 this weekend, but she felt it was too much of a jump. I'm thinking to myself, that's nothing. Anyway, I should probably follow the advice for now. It's so nice being able to run without an issue.

Trees. Some years I have one, some years not. My neighbor up the road sells them and I use to cut one down there. Last year, I found one at another place close to my house. It was the prettiest tree ever. Long, soft needles. It was so pretty, I had a get together/open house new year's day just because of the tree :laugh: I like the way it makes the house smell. I have a lot of moose and kitty ornaments. My favorite is a vet with an orange kitty in his lab coat pocket. I'd like to have more kitty ornaments but don't see them too often. My kitties love the tree..sitting under it. :hug::hug: Sometimes I put one up just for them.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 8:33 AM
We, too, have a lot of kitty ornaments (and keep collecting them even though ... :roll:).

It's so nice being able to run without an issue.

:hug::cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-04 8:36 AM
Ha. 15 is nothing!!  :laugh:

I remember your post about New Year's and showing off your tree last year. :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:35 AM
You can afford to give the hammier a bit more time, it would be a bummer to tweak it again!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 9:47 AM
I can. i'm just anxious to see if doing more will bother it..
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:01 PM
We'll find out in February!: pbbt:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 10:37 AM
Lol! 15 is nothing. That might be my Max for the rest of my life!

Do your cats love the tree skirt? Ours won't last 15 min in place unless covered by presents. The one upstairs I even have safety pinned 4x and a brick on top. Still winds up in a ball in the corner. :laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 11:14 AM
Yes, they love the tree skirt and sit on that. There's no presents so they have plenty of room.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:46 AM
The tree smell is the one thing I miss about a live tree. :hug:

Glad the hamstring is feeling good!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:07 AM
kitties do love trees! One reason we did not get one last year was that the combination of a naughty kitten and being away for a week seemed like a bad idea. I am curious what she will think of it this year.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 12:44 PM
sounds beautiful :hug::hug:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:23 AM Edited 2018-12-04 9:37 AM
My husband has asthma, and although I'm sure the dogs would appreciate the indoor plumbing, we've had a fake tree since my son was two and we started "doing Christmas." Our old one didn't survive the move, so this year I got a 6 foot "slim" tree at Target's black Friday sale. :supershopper: It fits nicely in a corner, I love it. My daughter always decorates the tree, my favorite ornaments are the ones the kids made in preschool and kindergarten.:laugh: This year she went minimalist, not too many ornaments. Clear lights this year, though I prefer the mini color ones. The only outdoor decoration I have is a wreath on the door. I'm clearly no Ed. :sad: Some houses on the street went all out though, blow up stuff and lights galore. They still have little kids.:happy:  We usually also do a lame Hanukkah, light a few days of candles, but this year I can't find the menorah.  It's in a box somewhere.:laugh: But I did make potato pancakes yesterday, they were delicious!

10 pleasant miles today. Legs felt very stiff, considering the rest day yesterday. I foam rolled and stretched afterward. Tonight I spin!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 10:38 AM
Homemade ones are fun :happy: I like the blow up stuff now, but told DH it seems silly to spend the $$$ when all the kids are grown.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:08 AM
I love latkes! hopefully I will be able to get some at some point this week!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 12:43 PM
me too!  I serve them with cranberry sauce which I make from fresh cranberries as a replacement for the more traditional apple sauce.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:09 PM
I remember the ones your brother made years ago, they were so good!:hug:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:00 AM
4.25 with Benji this morning. we did an out and back on the new trail. :cool:
we saw 4 walkers, 1 runner, 1 cyclist and 3 dogs. plus one guy who lives near the trail who thinks the park is his dogs personal bathroom and lets him out without a leash and just stands there while the dog runs all over (without picking up after him) :mutmad:

we have 2 big trees up, one in the living room and one in the office/library (it can be seen from the street) and then one tiny tree in the dining room. That's the one I used to put up when I lived by myself w/ just Parker and Jake. outside we have a single row of white lights along the roof line and then big red bows on the brick circles on each end of the house.  imagine bows at the bottom of the circles  I think it looks so pretty.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 10:43 AM
Pretty!:hug: But how annoying about the dog and owner
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:49 AM
Sounds pretty! :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:13 AM
that sounds really pretty, and I love your style of house!

ugh, I can't stand people who let their dogs off leash all the time.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 12:15 PM
I like those kinds of decorations.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:24 AM
We have a fake pre-lit tree. It is not very tall, but it is narrow. Our living room is tiny and it fits in there perfectly. We decorated it Thanksgiving weekend. We used to decorate outside with lights and greenery, but a few years ago we started getting inflatables, and now it looks like Christmas threw up all over our front yard. :laugh: We also have those projection lights onto the house: one is just red and green dots, the other is Star Wars themed. Our neighbors have Hanukkah-themed projection lights, and our town has a number of giant (taller than me!) menorahs out since there is a very large Jewish population in town. Each night of Hanukah a new light is lit in the menorahs and then they all stay lit after Hanukkah is over.

3 miles under the moon and Venus again today. It was chilly, low 30s and high winds, but it was really nice to be out there with hardly anyone else out on the streets. The sunrise was really cool too, I am used to seeing pinks and purples when the sun comes up, but today it was just various shades of blue. :cool:

Another hell day at work today, followed by the football banquet tonight for stepkid #1. I hate these things but felt bad making DH go alone. : pbbt: Then I have to pack for SC since we are leaving from work tomorrow to head south. I might have to get up tomorrow morning to finish packing and get everything together for the dog and the kennel and for the cat lady who watches our cats. I am not ready for my long weekend to be here yet. :laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 10:44 AM
How old is step kid? DS2 usually doesn't even want us there. We make him suffer by attending every once in awhile
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:50 AM
Stepkid is 13, in 8th grade. This might be his last year in football, so it's important that we go in case it's the last one!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:46 PM
Probably a good idea to go then!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:18 AM
The good thing is, once the long weekend starts tomorrow afternoon you will have a bit of a break!

football banquet does not sound like a good time.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:45 AM
I am such a grinch, which makes it hard for my Christmas-loving kiddo. I do not like to put up a tree, we only put one up half the time before having N. Last year we traveled so we skipped it, but this year we will be home so we need to put it up. Due to travel and other stuff it isn't going up  until the 22nd, which is super late, but will have to do! our tree is fake and pre-lit and still more work than I want!

I usually have lights on the outside of the house but that hasn't happened yet. Hopefully next week. Poor N feels sad about it. So this weekend at target I let her get a mini tree for her room, only about 18",  it is a silver tinsel tree and she picked out some really cute little ornaments for it.
We do advent calendars! In the past N has had lego calendars, this year I found a calendar that is a bracelet on the first day and then a little charm every other day-it is absolutely perfect, she loves it. R has a beer one, which is cool but not as good as the whiskey one last year. They got me a fancy toiletries one so that is fun.

Run was 8.1 miles. Heading to SF tomorrow so the rest of the week will be iffy for travel.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:52 AM
Advent calendars, how fun! :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:19 AM
they are fun, N gets so excited to open hers every day. I have been encouraging it to keep it at home so she at least makes it to Christmas without losing the bracelet, that is the kind of thing that would easily get misplaced at school.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:54 AM
I love your advent calendar tradition!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:20 AM
thanks. I am an atheist, so it is hard to think of traditions that don't feel false to me.
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:08 PM
I too am atheist, so I tell everyone that we have a Pagan Tree for the Winter Solstice. Some people think it's funny, some think it's offensive, and others just plain don't get it, which I think is funny. This year my wife and kids made care packages for homeless people (hats, gloves, snacks, water, etc) and my wife has been giving them out as she sees people on the street. We might make that an annual tradition: it fits with the spirit of the holiday without being religious.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:19 PM
I love that.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:26 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:06 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:45 PM
It is hard to find ways to create secular traditions around a holiday that is both a national holiday (in the sense that everyone gets the day off), and a religious holiday.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 1:34 PM
This reminded me that I bought advent calendars for the other people in my house, and neither one of them has even started them yet. :roll:

Somewhere in my heaps of holiday crap, I have an advent calendar that over the course of days lets me put together a bakery scene. It's a Lego-type thing. I kind of stopped using it after we got the cat because he likes to knock things off counters.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:40 PM
My best friend when I was growing up had a family tradition where they did all of their Christmas decorating on Christmas Eve. I think it is tied to some religious belief but Google isn’t helping me find it right now.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:56 PM
When I was very young, our tree wasn't put up & decorated until my sisters & I went to bed on Christmas Eve!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-05 5:10 AM
we used to do it on the 17th, and always take it down on the epiphany.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:52 PM
Our Xmas has very little to do with the religious holiday.  We do the santa, decorations, music, and cookies... We haven't been to church in many years.

Love the Advent calendars! We have one that someone gave us that hangs on the door. It has fabric/Velcro pieces of the Nativity and a few odd ones like palm trees! The kids used to fight over who put the piece in the pocket, so we came up with Even Steven days and Jacob odd days. Now that Stevens gone and Jacob is old, I figured he wouldn't do it - but still hang it up just in case. And every year the pieces magically get put in the pocket. Nobody speaks of it getting done but it makes DH and I so happy that he still wants to do it. He's almost 18! :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-05 5:11 AM
that is so sweet :hug:
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:52 AM
got our tree the Sunday after thanksgiving. I'm a Christmas freak :laugh:, so I love having it up from post-thanksgiving - New Years. This year's tree is about 7 feet, I'd say. Currently all I've done is get the lights on (white only for me!) and the star. Will get the rest of the decorations up at some point. P is so cute - she said "oh look, Christmas tree! and a star!" It's so fun to see her getting into Christmas this year. Last year she was only 16 months, so it didn't really register. Other traditions - I usually host a cookie exchange (happening next week) and have a little smorgasbord (traditional Swedish thing) on Christmas Eve. We also go to a carol sing at the local quaker meeting house in the evening. Christmas morning is stockings and presents. We'll be home this Christmas, just us, which will be nice.

anyway, walk/ran 4 miles yesterday and 3 today. Decreasing the walk intervals and increasing the run - up to 2 min walk, 6 min run right now. Feeling good - no real soreness or anything. Aiming for core daily, but it actually ends up being 3x/wk or so, if I'm lucky. :roll: The pregnancy weight is coming off, but I still have 10 lbs to go to pre-pregnancy weight (which was 10 lbs higher than I like to be, but oh well). I, ahem, went a little crazy with the "eat what you want" thing during this pregnancy, so I have more to get rid of than last time! E was 8 weeks old yesterday, so I'm feeling good about how I'm doing with the weight loss overall.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:21 AM
you're doing so well! I am really impressed with how much you are doing for the holidays with two little ones and in a PhD program!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:19 PM
ugh, thanks! I'm doing my best on very little sleep.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:29 AM
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:53 PM
Ugh five fellow freak! And now your best xmases are here!!!! :hug: I know you'll enjoy them
- - By skigirl Date 2018-12-04 10:59 AM
Bah, what a morning.  I woke up with the plan of heading to the gym before work.  Even though I was moving quickly it still took me an hour to get out the door - why??  :cry:  Should only have taken about forty minutes.  Then I got to the bus stop, a bus came right away, and I decided not to take it because there's another bus with a slightly better route that always arrives right at the same time.  Bus with the slightly better route was ten minutes late.  :mutmad:  Then when I got to the gym I discovered I had forgotten to pack my shorts.  :cry:  I tried working out wearing my work pants but it just felt too weird and I quit.  : pbbt:  Did manage to get in some upper-body strength and ran up and down a few flights of stairs, though.  :happy:

At least cutting the workout short gave me lots of time to enjoy a nice long shower.  :happy:

As for trees - for several years we just decorated our ornamental fig tree, on the rationale that we were always away a lot over the Christmas break.   Last year my daughter lobbied hard for a real Christmas tree, though, so we got one.  This year we're not going on a holiday over Christmas - we'll go away for a couple of days to visit family and then just come home - so I expect we'll likely get a tree again.  We have a number of ornaments with sentimental value for various reasons.  For me our biggest tradition is our Christmas music - we have a bunch of Christmas CDs and a five-CD player so I'll put five CDs in the player, put them on shuffle, and that's our Christmas playlist for the year.  They get played a LOT.  I think DH and DD like the music okay - they've never complained.  :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:27 PM
:cry: Are you sure it's not Monday again?
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-12-04 11:02 AM
Our tree is an ugly thing that looks like it was made out of grape vines, with a few small lights attached.  I'm all about traveling to see the kids these days.  This year, we'll celebrate in Hilton Head.

16.5 gallo-miles on a greasy gravel road.  My third 15+ day in a row :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:10 PM
:hug:  I like Charlie Brown trees.  I've got one at work I won't let anyone throw away.  My x-co-worker kept plants and once when she was gone, the guys broke and killed it by accident.  They just stuck a stick back in the pot.  I've since clipped a piece of my fake tree and taped it to the top and put a small angel ornament on top as well as 1 little red ball ornament.  It makes me laugh every day.  Nobody had better touch it!
- - By AgelessDave Date 2018-12-04 11:30 AM
I am not all that big on setting up the Christmas decor but do really like it when it is all put out (I.e. I am fairly lazy). We typically do all of the decorating stuff n the thanksgiving weekend. This year that wasn’t an option as we were on our way back from Spain. We did, however, accomplish the Christmas decoralooza fest this past weekend. I was trying to institute a more scaled back set-up, but my wife is into the Christmas stuff so my ‘scaled back’ plan was ignored. I started the festivities with the unpacking of our glorious fake pre-lit tree. While I was setting it up I noted that the top section seemed to have a slight bend. So I attempted to bend it back to true it up. My attempt failed fairly miserably and I snapped the top section of the tree. At this point I had two options, duct tape the thing back together or buy a new one. We (my wife and I, with HEAVY input from my wife) decided to go with the new tree option. So Costco supplied our new pre-lit majestic7.5 foot tree. This bad-boy has 7 different light settings (white, white fading, multi color, multi color dimming, etc) and doesn’t have all of the plugging up nonsense the old tree had. It was easy to set up and no profanity was uttered during the process (a first I believe). I took it upon myself to throw the ornaments on the thing and got about 1.5 boxes on the tree. We have a few more boxes of ornaments but they will just have to wait til next year. After the tree was done I was standing firm on not putting up the outdoor lights and greenery. However, when I saw my wife start to do the outside decorating nonsense anyway I decided my ‘stand’ wasn’t worth the effort and helped her do that stuff.  We have a little bit more to do on the inside of the house but it looks fairly Christmas-y.

This will be a fun season as my oldest daughter should (finally) be graduating from college (December 20)and my parents will be coming up for the ceremony. This is a big deal (for me) because it will be the first time me parents have been up here since my father’s heart attack back in March. It has been a rough year but he and my mom are excited to come up here. Due to his new status he is not able to stay at our house but we have reserved a room at one of the local hotels. They will stay a few extra days for the return of our European daughter. In addition to my parents I think my sister and nephew will also be in town during the Christmas season (from Texas) so it will be fun to get together with them. 

As far as running goes I did some more of my tm fun. I am looking over races and trying to decide if I want to sign up for a marathon or a half. There is no time urgency on the decision but I want to sign up for something by the new tear to give myself a goal.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:01 PM
Christmas decoralooza -----<stealing that phrase!>

Congrats to your daughter!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 12:18 PM
:laugh: For some reason, you Christmas tree story cracked me up.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:11 PM
Is it wrong that I laughed so hard reading this, Dave?:laugh:  But what is your dad's new status that precludes his staying in the house? The heart attack? Or have your parents split? All you're going to need is for Chevy Chase to appear and it sounds like your Christmas will be just right!
Parent - - By AgelessDave Date 2018-12-04 4:25 PM
He still has some mobility issues as a result of the heart attack. He can’t go up or down stairs now (he uses a walker and doesn’t do stairs) so he needs to go to a handicap accessible hotel. We feel kind of lucky that he is still here, his heart stopped for 25 minutes but, fortunately some neighbors saw him collapse and started cpr. He was unresponsive for 15 days but has made a pretty good recovery. He has had a very good mental recovery and is just dealing with a new way of getting around. It was a rough spring.

And the Christmas cheer is just beginning.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:43 PM
Holy crap! He is indeed a lucky guy, your Christmas should be a very happy one! My FIL had a heart attack 2 years ago, just before Thanksgiving, but an ambulance arrived early and he was rushed in for a stent. He was back to being his asshat self in about 48 hours.:roll: But now he knows he's at high risk for another one...
- - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 11:47 AM
3 miles this am with my new garmin 35.  I am ashamed of how much I am enjoying my new gadget.  :blush::cry::laugh:

We celebrate Chanukah which sort of snuck up on us real quick this year.  We enjoy the songs, lighting the candles, thinking of the miracle behind the holiday, and most importantly, eating the delicious fried foods, etc. but I have always admired Christmas from afar.  As a kid, my sister and I would have Christmas for our barbie dolls (complete with a branch of a pine tree, and little presents that we would wrap up.)   :grin::blush:
I enjoy religious Christmas music. Ave Maria is one of my favorite pieces of all time and once went to Christmas mass in New York City which was very impressive.
My favorite Christmas tradition is going for a long run on Christmas day, and enjoying the feeling of being absolutely alone out there just enjoying the peace and quiet.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:02 PM
I love my 35......only take it off to shower!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 12:35 PM
same. 
#watchgeeks :grin::cool:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 12:19 PM
A very Barbie Christmas :laugh:
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 12:34 PM Edited 2018-12-04 12:38 PM
:laugh::laugh::hug:
We really wanted to have a tree when we were growing up, but our parents refused.  My kids never wanted to celebrate Christmas.  They were just happy to spoil it for other kids at school when they were younger by telling them authoritatively that Santa wasn't real :cry:: pbbt:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-04 1:15 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 12:37 PM
Yay for new gadgets! You were due!

Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-12-04 12:39 PM
for sure!!  I actually pulled up your old thread and read it before I selected what to get.  :cool:

I also left the world of androids and got my first iphone recently, so gadgets are my life now.  : pbbt:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:08 PM
I told DH today I wish I could hear Xmas music is a large cathedral  I bet that was something!
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:00 PM
We have a small tree, just for few days, so the kid has some feel of tradition. Other thing we always do is ham! honey blazed! Mmmmm....

Didn't run this morning, woke up thinking that Zeke was barking, but when I went check on him he was deeply in his sleep. The I couldn't sleep for hours...so I slept in.oh well.
swim today! something longer since I didn't swim all last week due to pool maintenance.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 12:39 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:07 PM
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:14 PM
I love to have my house decorated for Christmas.....ten years ago, when we first walked into the house we now call home, I imaged lit garland hanging on the banister going upstairs.  It is the first thing I do every year.  Since I have a December birthday and therefore, for 52 years had to share a birthday month with Jesus, my birthday has always been shoved into the middle of all the December/holiday mayhem.  As such, I like to have the house decorated for all of December.  We put everything up on Thanksgiving Saturday and I typically don't get motivated to take it all down until mid-January....we get our money worth out of that pre-lit, fake tree! All ornaments are either things the kids made or, an ornament I bought them.  Each year since they were toddlers, I have bought them each an ornament of something they were into.  We have several Wizard of Oz and Toy Story ornaments from when they were young.  Recent additions range from a Game of Throne ornament to one which represents the Higgs Boson Particle.  Nerds. My kids are total nerds.  The kids have a fake tree upstairs in their den.  The boy was too lazy to take it down last January, so it remained up all year.  Only kid in HS graduating class to have a Christmas tree up during his graduation party!:laugh:

10 miles this morning, the first 4.5 with my gals.  It was a 31* but no wind, so about as perfect as it could be for winter running.  Work Holiday Party tonight, so no boxing class.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-12-04 12:39 PM
Oh! Your tree sounds great! That's a fun tradition!! :hug::hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 1:24 PM
Higgs boson ornament :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-12-04 2:51 PM
higgs boson particle ornament! :laugh: I love it!

I also love that blazerboy left the tree up all year.  :grin::laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:29 PM
Oooo, GoT ornaments, love that idea!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:07 PM
LOL! on the ornament! I love garland up the stairs. At this house, my MIL made us one, with lights and all kinds of pretty stuff glued on and big bows.  I learned the hard way that it needs to go up first - before the Xmas village on the piano and Xmas tree down below. :laugh:

I can also see leaving it up year round!  Once the kids are moved out the plan is to keep the giant one in the closet in the den.  No more hauling it up 2 flights of stairs to the attic!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-04 12:46 PM
Our Christmas tree is artificial.  Many years ago we got real ones but the kid's ped said it was bad for DS's borderline asthma so we went fake ever since.  It's in a box in the basement & will eventually get set up...when I get to it.   Outside is done<---for those on Facebook.

Workout was core, hip & shoulder exercises and then an 1800 meter swim.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:04 PM
beautiful! :hug: DH doesn't want to put lights on the house, so we don't have any.  But we do have candles in all windows, the porch tree, big ornaments between the columns, wreath, and TWO lighted deer int he yard.  I ALWAYS wanted a deer, but was too cheap to buy one.  One day, I came home from something and DH had surprised me with one.  I :hug: it so much, he got it a mate the next year.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-04 1:04 PM
Late to the dance here....16km chilly and clear with Molly girl.  Got home to a couple of messages that took longer to deal with than they should have and so my whole routine was askew

No decorations etc for me.  I'm not anti-Christmas but I don't really get into it.  If I had little kids I'd make it magical and shit!  (not literally)  I love that everyone seems to be nicer to each other around
Christmas time.

Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:31 PM
I'm with you. I wouldn't even put up a tree if my daughter didn't insist on it. And she's 18, so at least I can get away with the minimum of holiday stuff. Oh, but when they were little... those were fun years!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:03 PM
I wasn't much into Xmas until I had kids.  My little thing is that so much of parenting is AWFUL - so Xmas and bdays are the two times when I can be a NICE and FUN parent.  And, I get to play SANTA and eat COOKIES!  DH gets the milk : pbbt:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:33 PM
4 miles on the elliptical.

My knee has been very sore since my 10 mile run on Saturday. I saw my ART Dr first thing yesterday and she tried all of her usual tricks and even added some ultra-sound on it to see if that would help but I didn’t get any relief from that. I saw the orthopedic Dr this morning and he wants an MRI to confirm his suspicions of a meniscus tear. (Which is pretty much what I expected) I have a follow-up with him on the 18th and we’ll know more then but probably not much running between now and then.

Our tree has to be real and spectacular. :wink: The new house has a vaulted ceiling in the living room so we can go pretty big and had trees over 12 ft tall the last 2 years. We couldn’t find anything that big this year and had to settle on an 11 ft one. Only multi-color lights and they have to be placed “just so.” Our ornaments are a reflection of the over 30 my wife and I have been together. The oldest ornament is a skiing panda bear made from cotton balls that we picked up at a craft fair when we were dating. As our kids have moved out to their own places, we collected up all of the ornaments we had been putting on the tree that they had made and gave them their own box of memories that they could start with on their trees. My son’s MIL was posting pictures of an ornament a day and including a short story about its meaning and I thought that was pretty cool.

My wife is the choir director at church so music has always been a huge part of the season for us. We have a huge CD collection of just holiday music and certain CD’s have their own stories.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-12-04 2:49 PM
i'm sorry to hear that about your knee. :meh:

the ornaments we have collected over the years (including some i made as a kid) still come out. i love those memories too.  :hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 3:02 PM
That is not good news about your kee :sad:  I'm so sad. 

Our tree is maybe only 5 feet tall and we definitely do not have room for all the ornaments.  The ornaments we still have are an important part of our family's story and leaving some out is kind of a drag but there is no more room !!
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-12-04 3:13 PM
All injuries are different but I had a buddy who had meniscus tear surgery in Oct and ran a marathon in March.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:09 PM
It’s always good to hear success stories. XT did well with his recovery so I’m trying to be hopeful.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 4:43 PM
I had mine the day before thanksgiving and went to the outlets Thanksgiving night - though I walked VERY SLOWLY and did a lot of sitting
And gave people the EVIL DEATH STARE if they came close to bumping me.  DH wanted me to reset a white fence panel Friday - but I refused that. 6 weeks after, I went horseback riding and upside zip lining in Cancun :happy:  If you have to have knee surgery, that's probably the one you want. A lot of my woes IMO is from trying to rehab it myself in denial for so long, and now my body is crazy imbalanced. It always was, but now it's not even in the same ballpark - but getting much better in the last 3 months or so...
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:53 PM
Thanks!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:35 PM
Maybe it's just a meniscus sprain and not a tear? Fingers crossed for some good news.

You have one of those Christmas houses you see in magazines!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:53 PM
I’m going with worst case scenario and if it comes in better than that then it’s a bonus.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-04 6:03 PM
Sorry about the knee but best to get it figured out and attended to!
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-04 2:38 PM
We live in the middle of a forest - you know that type of wilderness/urban interface that has been so much in the news as of late because of the constant threat of wildfires.  When they come to do "active forest management" they attempt to cut down all of the trees which are modest in size.  That means anything a foot in diameter or less is cut, usually bigger trees too, depending on the size of the neighboring trees.  Any Christmas tree you would cut from the forests around us are well within the parameter of what is cut when they actively manage the forest.  (Our stand can only handle a 5 inch diameter trunk).   As such, you'd think that people would be encouraged to cut their own Christmas trees from these areas, but no - you need to get a permit and they only issued 1000 permits for the entire basin.  I guess it's better to take all of your tax dollars to clear the forest than let people do a little bit of thinning at Christmas.

So the net result is we drove to a tree farm to get a tree.  We saw one that looked nice - the bottom limbs started about 13 feet up the trunk so it was hard to tell how tall the top really was.  They cut it down and trimmed it up, and we got it into the truck and then somehow wrestled it into the house.  We tried to stand it up and it was way too tall for our living room.  Ended up lobbing about a foot off of it so it now just touches the ceiling.  Beautiful tree!  Need to get the ladder out to decorate it.

We'll make the house look nice.  The kids will be back for Christmas and we're having a party the Thursday before.  Come on over!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-12-04 2:43 PM
but are they raking? :roll:

that sounds like a beautiful tree!  :hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:57 PM
but are they raking?:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 5:01 PM
Sounds like typical Gov't bureaucracy.  :meh:  Getting one that was too tall would probably be what I would do.  Have fun decorating!
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-12-04 2:41 PM
I really do love having a real christmas tree. growing up we always had a plastic one. there is nothing like the scent of melting plastic to make me think of Xmas. :hug: Since DH and i have been together we do get a smaller (4 foot) christmas tree but not every year. I enjoy decorating them and like the scent of pine needles. My mom always said she couldn't do a real tree because she was allergic. Come to find out, i am too so we only keep it for a short time - like 2 - 3 weeks. That's usually enough anyway! 

This year we have 2 - 7 month old kittens. I can only imagine the shenanigans they would get up to with a xmas tree so we are not doing one this year. Maybe next. We do put exterior xmas lights up and i love having them up.  :happy:

it's been crazy busy at work. And trying to get some other stuff done for other job so just busy. Tis the season! I did find out from doc that i have a labrum tear which is probably the cause of the long term hip pain i've dealt with ever since i became a runner. this isn't a sudden tear but more likely a progressive degenerative thing. Options? shot to see if it really is the source of the pain. if it is, then cortisone shot to settle everything down and a round of PT probably. Surgery? don't know yet but it doesn't sound like it.

anyway, that was good to finally confirm something.

I'm continuing the run/walk think and did 2 miles this morning. We finally have cold weather and it was frosty but not icy. That moon and planet arrangement was stunning! :shocker!::cool: I also did 40 minutes strength stuff.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:55 PM
I really love our Christmas lights, especially now that we're so far north and it gets dark so much earlier! 

Good that you have a dx about your injury, but I don't think a labram tear is something that can be easily remedied.  I've known two women who had it, and both considered it an ordeal.  One just gave it a LOT of time, the other insisted on surgery.  Hope the shot helps give you more answers and some relief, too.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-12-04 3:03 PM
yeah, it does sound like it really is a pesky thing. And i know because i feel like i have been dealing with it/ managing it for 15 years in one way or the other (since i became a runner) without knowing what the underlying issue is. Finally, i know. And this assumes that doing the diagnostic shot (now scheduled for next week) actually tells me anything.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:28 PM
Omg, two kittens and a decorated tree.:laugh::laugh::laugh: If you did do it, you could videotape it and make a mint!: pbbt:

Sorry about the hip. Did you have an MRI to diagnose the tear?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:56 PM
Having a firm diagnosis is always good. Then you can start the corrective actions.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 4:59 PM
I'm sorry its a teat, but I can understand the relief finding out exactly what IS wrong. 

Kittens and Xmas trees are hilarious.  ours used to climb them all the time.  And our lower branches are permanently bend from them sitting in them.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-04 6:08 PM
Sorry about the labrum issue :sad:  A woman in our club has that and decided to give up running rather than having surgery to repair it. Chase Utley had that surgery while he was the 2nd baseman for the Philadelphia Phillies and came back just fine!
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 2:49 PM
I'm pretty sure we didn't even decorate last year, or if we did, it was very low-key.  We took our little camper to Big Bend and then to Arizona and didn't get back until mid-December I think.  Then we spent Christmas with DS and his wife, so no need to do much at our place.  This year has been much different! :cool::hug:  First, it's Oregon, and trees grow everywhere!!  We went to a local Christmas tree farm and after reviewing the many different choices with the owner, we decided on a grand fir, which he then cut for us.  The guy was great -- he'd fixed snickerdoodles and had a warming barn with coffee and cocoa for patrons.  He clearly loved what he did and enjoyed helping us get our tree. 

5.5 frosty miles this morning.  The left soleus gave me a couple of :wtf::wtf:'s in the first mile, but then it quit complaining.  It was 30 degrees (:shocker!:) and there were some slick spots, especially in the first mile.  I kept remembering Blazer's horror story about falling on ice, and I took it very cautiously.  When I finished the run, my Garmin surprised me with a "Frosty" badge which are earned any time a workout occurs in sub-freezing temps.  The bums know I'm a sucker for petty rewards :roll::grin:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-12-04 2:53 PM
I'm waiting to hear about when you miss the ridiculous dewpoints of Texas. :laugh::shocker!: February. :meh:

maybe the soleus was just cold!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:05 PM
Ha!  I was looking at my sleeveless shirts and dresses in the closet today and wondering if I will ever bare my arms again :sad::laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 4:16 PM
Aw, so sweet about the x-mas tree farm guy.:hug:

Maybe you should make a pair of Rogere screw shoes! A Frosty badge? I'm taking my garmin to the Beast of Burden in February, for sure!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 6:16 PM
It was not slick enough for screw shoes...yet!  Really, I was more surprised because there were slick spots.  It hadn't snowed.  I'm going to have to re-learn the whole drill.

If we get a frosty badge for running in sub-freezing temps, I am trying to guess what you'll get for the Beast of Burden :mischief:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 4:58 PM
That sounds idyllic - just like a Hallmark movie! :hug:
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-12-04 3:26 PM
Ran 4 miles on the elliptical and the swam for 10 minutes.  My plan going forward is rather than taking a day completely off, I will elliptical and swim.  I gotta burn calories because I turned into a fat toad during my injury. :meh:

We have two, tall but skinny artificial trees.  The one in the kitchen eating area has white lights and red, silver and light green ornaments.  The one in the family room by the fireplace has white lights, burgundy & gold ornaments and clear, plastic snowflakes hung with burgundy ribbons.  The fireplace has 5, white and burgundy stockings (me, wifey, kids and Bogey). The railing along our stairs has fake evergreen garland, white lights, burgundy bows, fake-burgundy-"berries" and gold pine cones. The lights outside are red and one tree has white lights wrapping the trunk and red lights in the branches. The outdoor tree lighting was suggested by the HOA and is new this year. :roll:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-04 4:57 PM
ooh!  HOA suggestions would irritate me.  I live on a main road, but the neighborhood behind us is the "old money" section in town.  I have heard that not too long ago, if you put up colored lights that were visible to the street, they would ask you to change so you didn't bring down the neighborhood. :meh:

But your house sounds beautiful!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-12-04 5:07 PM
The HOA thing was no big deal. Our city will put in a street tree for free, if you request one. They have a list of trees you can choose.  Our HOA thought it would be cool if folks in the neighborhood all decorated their street tree the same way.  Currently about 30% of the residents have done it. Maybe that % will go up in the future.  There are plenty of BS things in our HOA rules but I was okay with the light thing since it was not mandatory. The only Christmas light rule is they can only be turned on from mid Nov to early Jan. :grin:
- - By coleman Date 2018-12-04 8:54 PM Edited 2018-12-04 9:07 PM
We've had the same inside tree for at least 10 years, the lights have long gone out, so I've gotten the wife to just add extra strands of lights, I'm hoping to get my money's worth out this fake tree :laugh: She takes care of all things in the house and does a great job on the tree.

My job is outside with the Baby bottle Xmas tree that my grandpa created with my gerber baby food bottles.  It's a Xmas tree that is made out of baby food bottles filled with colored waters.  It's gone up every year for the past 52, it's been my responsibility for the past 20-30 years to make sure it goes up (and even before that,  I was putting it up when I was a teenager, I'm sure my Dad was happy to let me take this job, it's a lot of work). It still has 4 rows of my bottles from 52 years ago, the other 7 rows are from my kids when they were young. 
https://pix.sfly.com/caW-oq
I have the original, my sister has a knock off that she's put up for some number of years.

Didn't get much done today, 3 miler at lunch around the ring. I'll do some calisthenics later : pbbt:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-12-05 7:32 AM
Wow! That is cool :grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-05 7:55 AM
That is really neat!  Great idea! But I can see how labor intensive it would be.

A couple of years ago I bit the bullet and took off all the dead strands on our prelit tree, so it's now a normal tree.  Took aboutn2 hours and a royal PITA but I'm glad it's done now.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tuesday's Trees Dailies