Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday Afternoonly
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-03 1:44 PM
Day's more than half over for most of us. If you have any comments to share about your run and/or workout today, dinner plans, weekend report, or what have you, feel free to chime in here.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-03 4:33 PM
Yesterday, 7 miles on the hills of Coventry Woods. The wetness and such continues here. Rain Saturday afternoon and some light stuff yesterday. Run was pretty good though despite sections of muck. Sort of a fun day with the mist and fog up in the high places. The top of the ridge was obscured from below. Had a minor slip and slide at the start of the run on some wet leaves. Thankfully I fell in a pile of wet leaves and mud.

Saturday I ran somewhere different, well a place I hadn't been to in a few years. Trails along the Schuylkill River at lock 60. There is a short 1.5 mile flat trail right along the river between lock60 and upper schuykill valley park, but the fun part here are the trails that cut up into the gorges and hills above the river. Some of the best views of the river and countryside that I am aware of. In a few places it's like you are on a cliff edge looking straight down at the river twisting towards Valley Forge and the countryside out in the distance. Really spectacular. I thought this was a no hunting zone, and part of it were, but ran into a few hunters back in the hills. An older guy and his sons or grandsons. LOL, the Lady walked up an demanded to be petted by the hunter once I stop to chat.

Today, just gym stuff at lunch. Took the afternoon off to catch up on yard work that I couldn't do yesterday because of the rain. Leaves are raked, lawn mulch mowed to grind up any remaining ones, and lawn mower winterized for the year. I did get the Lady out for a walk around the block (1 mile) as dusk settled in.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:42 PM
Your Saturday run sounds lovely.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 8:49 PM
Saturday's run does sound very nice.  Hunters can be problematic for trail runners now.  I'm not a hunter myself -- no way, but after living on the Western Slope of Colorado and again here in Oregon, I understand that animals have to be harvested.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:51 AM
Nice run! You could run all the way to Philadelphia along the river, right?

Hunters make me so nervous when I'm hiking with the dogs. When I was a kid my parents had no trespassing signs all over their property to try to keep the hunters out, but in the local news there was always a dog or a person getting shot by accident.:sad: Be careful out there!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-04 8:41 AM
Nice run! You could run all the way to Philadelphia along the river, right?

Well sort of but not exactly. The Schuylkill river trail (SRT) goes pretty far now without any breaks, but many parts of the SRT head inland in places away from the river. This particular piece of trail is not part of the SRT at all even though the flat part runs smack dab next to the river. In fact, the river is so high this year that it looked like part of this trail was under water recently.
Parent - - By essel [us] Date 2018-12-03 4:46 PM
3 miles this morning. I plan to do some weights in the evening.

Current job still sucks, no one cares, customer is a bully... Oh well...I have 1:1 w/ my boss in few minutes, this guy is a typical "yes" man. He is absolutely no help to me and my projects, doesn't have a clue what's going on here (he is based in TX and visits us every 3 months).

Last night we had a puppy "intermediate" class and Zeke did very well. He was very tired after the class, he felt a sleep at the end. Likely we had out bed w/ us, as we practiced - going to bed - so he was comfortable. I hear that we was resting all day. I bet once I get home, he will be all hyper and ready to play.

Happy Monday all!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:42 PM
Sorry about the bully customer :mutmad:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:52 AM
Sorry about the job.:sad: But going home from a shit job to a happy puppy has to help!:happy:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 1:51 PM
I was waiting for someone to start this! 

Spent the weekend in the mountains - DD was competing in a biathlon NorAm event.  ("NorAm" meaning, competitors from across North America - fun to have people from so many different states, territories and provinces there).  I got in some xc skiing each day, plus had the fun of watching her and her teammates compete.  She was pretty pleased with how she did on Saturday, but she didn't shoot well on Sunday and her results suffered accordingly. 

Drove home in a snowstorm - there was actually an advisory in place recommending people stay off the roads, but we had to get back.  The conditions were not great, but we've seen worse.  A trip that would normally take about 5 hours took closer to 7 - we took it slow.  Saw probably 20-30 vehicles in the ditch along the way and several places where emergency crews were on scene.  DD drove half the way because DH felt she needed the winter driving experience; then he took over for the second half. 

Rest day today.  Working at home - catching up on email, mostly.  :happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:50 PM
that is a lot of vehicles in ditches. Glad you made it home OK.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:11 PM
enjoy your rest day -
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:25 PM
Your DD driving in the snow reminded me that my dad made all of us kids learn how to deal with winter weather and how to recover from a skid by taking us to the high school parking lot when it started to snow and made us do donuts and skid out until we learned how to control it. :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:35 PM
Very smart!
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-03 4:35 PM
Yikes on the drivers in the ditch. So many people do not know how to drive in snow. Growing up in Ohio winters, I learned quite well!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 4:38 PM
Yeah, we were a little baffled.  I mean, conditions weren't great, sure, but it certainly wasn't out of the ordinary for wintertime around here.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:43 PM
How old is 2.0?  Sounds like she is doing really well in biathlon.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:44 PM
Sounds like a scary drive!  That's a long trip, even without the weather.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:56 AM
Biathlon is such a cool event! During the last Olympics, the daily question was, of course, what Olympic sport would you compete in if you could choose any? I would so do the Biathlon. Hey, maybe you're daughter will compete in it for reals!:cool:

Driving through a blizzard.:meh: I drove through way too many as a kid in Buffalo, don't miss that!
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 1:56 PM
4 miles with the moon and and a planet directly below it this morning. Went back to my old shoes and felt much better than Saturday's run.

Crazy stressful day at work. :cry: Stressed about taking time off at the end of the week to go to SC for the marathon. :cry: No one else seems to care that everything is on fire and we are drowning. Or perhaps I care too much? :wtf: I need another run already. :laugh:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-03 2:01 PM
No one else seems to care that everything is on fire and we are drowning. Or perhaps I care too much?

I so get this sentiment. :meh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:23 PM
I'm sure you do :meh:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:48 PM
Venus was super bright this morning  :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:23 PM
I thought it was Venus! :cool:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:50 PM
I get that feeling, sometimes you just need to say fuck it, if everyone else is.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:05 PM
Yep.  :meh:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:23 PM
I'm getting to that point. I think completely disconnecting this weekend will help on that front.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:35 PM
:hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-03 3:52 PM
This.  That's where I am unfortunately :meh:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-12-03 4:38 PM
agreed.
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:44 PM
Sad but true.  I've been fighting that feeling for the last 4 months.
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-03 2:05 PM
Busy so far today, but since I was up til midnight last night doing work stuff, I think I can take a few minutes to socialize electronically.

9.11 mi this morning, with 16.5 on Saturday and 10.5 yesterday.

Gotta go to Costco on my way home, so it seems like a perfect opportunity to grab a slice of pizza for dinner.

Given stuff that's coming up over the course of the next couple of weeks, it's looking like Cookie Day 2018 might happen this coming Saturday. I'm going to try to knock out a couple of batches of dough tonight after I get home from the store, then get them in the freezer so that they'll be ready to go Saturday morning.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:50 PM
what are your cookies this year?
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-12-03 3:20 PM
We must always have chocolate crinkles, although I've lost track of the recipe from Herself's nana. Herself also has peanut blossoms on the list and snickerdoodles. Additionally, we've got vanilla sugar cookies, tricolor cookies, salted Nutella thumbprints, and PB&J thumbprints. And my stupid cookie. More will be added to the list. I feel like I need an assortment that includes one recipe from every cookbook writer I like, so while we have several represented already, there are maybe 10 or 12 to go. :laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:34 PM
:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:05 PM
Your mileage always amazes me!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:10 PM
you run more in 2 days than I do in a week :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:26 PM
Working till midnight on Sunday? :cry::mutmad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-03 3:56 PM
Omg! I am sorry.

Awesome mileage
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:23 PM
Is the cookie making a shared experience, or are you each a solo artist?  The list alone is making me drool :grin:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:25 PM
4.50 miles w/ Benji in a new pair of Adrenalines - didn't realize how much my last pair sucked until finishing today and not having achy feet :roll:
and I was able to get them at the local running store because they had the color block that I had liked on RRS.

nothing much to add besides that. for those of you in the Xmas card list - be watching your mail this week for the full list of participants. looking forward to seeing everyone's cards :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:51 PM
Yay for new shoes!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:04 PM
Nice on the new shoes!  :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:26 PM
Yay new shoes! And cards! :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-03 3:55 PM
Real mail or email? I just checked my email and I don't think it works anymore. Just updated it but I'm guessing the verification will get pulled by quarantine...
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 4:09 PM
real mail :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-03 4:39 PM
Cool! and thanks!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:24 PM
I love getting new shoes.  I always feel about 5 years younger those first few days :mischief:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 2:44 PM
Molly and Me did 9km with our buddy and his dog.....6am with headlamps and chilly.  Awesome stars out.  We just got back from a river walk and now lunch and a nap on the agenda  :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:57 PM
Sounds pretty good to me.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 6:08 PM
It was awesome.  :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:04 PM
Beautiful!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 6:08 PM
https://qq0u.app.link/e/R9J5sAblmS

Thank you....it's a Coach  :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:09 PM
I bet Molly looks silly in a headlamp : pbbt:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:27 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 6:05 PM

No headlamp, but reflective tape on her Coach collar  :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:21 AM
:hug: I love Molly!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-04 1:01 PM
Me too! :hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:26 PM
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 6:09 PM
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-03 4:38 PM
Living the good life. :cool:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 6:07 PM
…..and wearing designer collars

Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:27 PM
Love seeing the stars on a clear, early morning.  I'm not crazy about being cold, but the stars definitely help :wink:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:48 PM
busy day so far.

The weekend was really good. Yesterday we went to Breakfast with Santa and Elf. N was a little under the weather and had a fever by last night, she woke up with a 102* temp at 3am so she is home today.

That throws a wrench into my workout plans, so I went out early for 4.5 and then R left for his workout. Blah. Dinner will be an eggplant thing from some cooking magazine I get.

So, bus update. The insanity doesn't stop! The new plan was announced Thursday of last week and I was all Yay! a change! Of course lots of parents complained so Friday we got a note saying they scrapped the plan. No new plan. I am having lunch with another parent next week and we will discuss how to move forward on this. It is the stupidest thing ever. I am so over it.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:57 PM
Terrible when you think things are improving only to find out they are not. :sad:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:04 PM
:shocker!:  Unbelievable.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:09 PM
ugh - by the time they figure anything out, the school year will be over :roll:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:28 PM
if that means that they have a solid plan going into next year I would be OK with it. Really, if the next communication was an apology for the shit show of the year and a commitment to resolving all issues for 2019-2020, I wouldn't be thrilled but I would support that.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:28 PM
:mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:46 PM
Sigh.  They can't get out of their own way.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:29 PM
I hope N's fever is cleared by tomorrow :hug:  the bus drama -- :cry::mutmad:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:49 PM
5.5 miles with my wife this morning. A bit slick on the sidewalks.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:57 PM
I'm ready for spring.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:08 PM
slick spots just help tighten your core : pbbt:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:12 PM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:28 PM
:laugh: I am going to use that this winter
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:20 PM
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-03 2:56 PM
Going to make it out to my weight class tonight. At least that's the plan. Even better, if I can get there early and warm up with a jog on the indoor track and get a couple errands on my way home.

I have high hopes!:grin:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:02 PM
Good luck!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:08 PM
sounds like a good afternoon/evening plan
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:35 PM
:grin:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:30 PM
DO IT !!!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:42 AM
I did!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-03 3:02 PM
Well this morning was a sh!t show – at work, not my workout.  I did not run.  I wanted to and I might have been OK, but I was paranoid about kicking the ankle in the same spot.  It’s still sore and swollen, but not as much.  And all of the color has slid to the bottom side/arch of my foot, sporting a lovely black/purple with a greenish tint.  Looking at it, you’d think I was cleated by messi – not from kicking myself!  #winner!

So I rode the stationary bike for 60 min.  I *almost* stopped after 10 min to run easily outside, but told myself staying on was the harder workout – at least mentally.  It felt good while doing it.  Later, something tightens up and makes my kneecap get off track and ache a bit.  Still was the lesser of 2 evils this morning.  Hopefully, tomorrow I can run and not manage to maim myself :roll:   Then did the P90X chest and back video.  Did a bit better with it this morning – eeked out a few more reps on most things.  I :hug: the girl on there.  Love her accent.

Not in the mood to work after this morning.  Why bother, when they will change the plan without telling me at the last minute – and then miraculously I’m supposed to know when the contractor is  sitting on the street awaiting stake-out. :meh:  But!  The IT folks did so well getting us a new computer in 1 day – usually that would take 6 months or longer.  I was in such a pissy mood from the stake-out issue, that I made a special point to thank  the IT big boss for their efforts.  Made me feel somewhat better to do a good deed.  And, I have OFF tomorrow!  HAPPY DANCE!!!!  DH & I take off to go Xmas shopping.  It used to be necessary when the kids were little and had to be with us 24-7, but now it’s just a nice day off to go eat lunch out of town.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-12-03 3:03 PM
Your poor ankle!  :cry:  Enjoy your shopping day off.  :hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-03 4:42 PM
One would think that after 60,000 miles of running that I would have mastered the basic forward running motion. Apparently not! :blush:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:08 PM
Hope your day off tomorrow is wonderful!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:37 PM
Enjoy your day off!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:39 PM
Crazy about your ankle, but I'm proud of you for taking the slower road to recovery.  The prudent decision should pay off quickly.  That is so weird.  Apparently I gave myself a sympathy injury Saturday.  When I got home after the race and started peeling off the layers of warm-up pants, tights and socks, I discovered a 3" perfect-circle bruise just above and slightly behind the inside of my right ankle -- no recollection of smacking it, but it was a pronounced and nicely deep purple hue :wtf:  Lucky for me, it wasn't painful, but I gave myself an extra day off.

Hope tomorrow's day off will be fun !!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-03 5:07 PM
Hi Doughboy! Rest day. Big jump in training last week, I need it. Homemade potato pancakes tonight for dinner:hug:, after a total panic when I couldn't find the grater attachment to my food processor. Memories came flooding back of grating potatoes by hand in college, and always grating my fingers. Blood would get in the grated potatoes.:cry: But no one ever noticed.:laugh:  Fortunately, I found the piece I needed, and we are well on our way to latkes with applesauce!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:46 PM
Glad the latkes did not have blood as the main ingredient!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:37 AM
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 9:41 PM
Glad your fingers are intact and you can continue the tradition without bloodshed.  :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:37 AM
High protein foods are so in today, maybe I was just ahead of my time in college.: pbbt:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:12 AM
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-03 6:34 PM
Taught spin class this morning.  6th "anniversary" of teaching & 6th anniversary of the opening of the center where I teach!  I called today's class "Almost Bohemian Rhapsody" as I wasn't quite able to design a profile I felt "worked" exclusively using songs from the soundtrack or exclusively Queen.  Still pretty close and I got a rare bit of applause at the end of class so I guess my riders liked it which is always a good thing.  Playlist follows for anyone interested:
Song       -     Artist
I Want To Break Free - Queen
We will rock you   - Queen
Bicycle Race - Queen
Whole Lotta Love - Mary J Blige
Killer Queen - Queen
Thanks For The Memories - Fall Out Boy
Bohemian Rhapsody- Queen
Breathing - Jason Derulo
Under Pressure - Queen
Now Or Never - Outasight
Telephone - Lady Gaga
Somebody To Love - Queen
Hammer to Fall (Live Aid) - Queen
I Want To Break Free - Queen
We are the Champions - Queen
Now I'm Here - Queen

Skipped the usual stuff I do after class as a member came into the cycling room while I was closing up and he had a bunch of questions about returning to spin classes after having his hip replaced!  He's 6 months post-surgery so I was able to share some recovery experiences with him and did a bike fit so he'll be ready when he comes to class.

DD & her DH came by to have a quick dinner before her 6:15 doc appt.  She's officially in her 9th month and on a weekly doc appt. schedule.  The ob-gyn practice has an office 4 blocks from our house so it's much more convenient for them to stop here than drive home 10 miles & return or make other arrangements to eat...plus we love seeing them!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-03 7:25 PM
Dope list....I wish I was there to solo dance the spin session :hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 7:43 PM
Great play list, and hey!  any excuse to see the kiddos, right ? :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:41 AM
That is an awesome list! I'm applauding right now!:cool:

I remember going to weekly appointments. It was so exciting, but also, so scary, like things are about to get real!:grin:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-04 9:23 AM
so glad you got Bicycle Race in there - I mean, it's sort of required. :grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-04 10:10 AM
You should seriously friend my coach Michael on FB, he was just asking people for their favorite Queen songs for a spin playlist! :laugh:
- - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:48 PM
I swam at noon and lifted after work.  Oh, and took the dog for a good walk.  Now I am ready for bed.  :cry:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 7:51 PM
If I had swimming and lifting in the same day, I would go to bed around 5 pm and sleep all night :meh:  Good job!!
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-03 7:41 PM Edited 2018-12-03 7:44 PM
The day is completely over now!!  Yesterday was off for recovery from the half-mary.  Today, I still didn't want to run and thankfully the weather was nice enough that DH wanted to do a day trip, so what could I do but ride along???  :roll::grin:  Several times as we've driven to the coast, we pass a sign to a ferry, so today, we took the ferry to see what that was all about.  It was a quick ride to Puget Island, a lovely, picturesque place that looks a lot like scenes you see in jigsaw puzzles - water, fields, trees, boats -- it was really nice.  There was a bridge leading from the other side of the island to Washington State and we took the scenic route from there to the next bridge which is a long ol' ways on down the road.  Bridges are way more important here than they were in Texas :laugh:  We found at least three good birding spots to add to the fun.

Oh yeah, then running -- when we got back, DIL was doing fine with GD, but asked if I would exercise their goofy golden retriever.  That dog was dying to get outside.  I ran her a solid two miles, and she only stopped when I pulled her off the path to let a little yappy-ass pup come through -- more to avoid a trip hazard than anything else.  She held a good steady pace and is resting comfortably with us for now.  Things are busy at the kids' house as they're going to Texas for a wedding Wed - Mon :meh:  I hope everything goes OK.  It should be fine, but it's a lot of changing locations and a whole new set of germs at each one :shocker!:  Baby's health is great, neurologist ok'ed the trip, but she's still on an anti-viral drug that lowers her immunities and worries her Gran.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-04 5:47 AM
I love how adventurous you and M are! You see the coolest stuff!

And so glad to hear Miss V is doing so well. That's a long trip with an infant though, but I bet they can't wait to show her off!:hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday Afternoonly