Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Swollen Sunday Dailies
- By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 7:47 AM
Good luck to Hardwood runner if he decides to do the half.

And my ankle is ridiculous. It looks worse than when my kids get/got cleated by 150-200 pound teens in soccer. WTF? I did it to MYSELF?! So, let's hear about some of your dumb injuries to make me feel better
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 7:56 AM
Good thing today is an off day, but I do have to clean a bunch still. 5 hours worth yesterday I'm sure was terrible for the ankle. It let me know it for the rest of the afternoon/evening. Saw Creed II last night. Liked it, but something funny.  The theater was playing it on 2 screens but at the same time - one big, one small. Weird because our theater is rarely that crowded. The ticket taker seemed to be mildly mentally challenged and would chase anyone going into the big theater away and into the small one. He said they HAD to go the screen on their ticket.  DH is like oh no. I paid for the movie. I'm going to see it in the big theater and politely asked for the manager who agreed.  We had the whole place to ourselves until after the previews and then maybe 10-15 were in there.

Dumb Injuries? I have plenty. Broke my toe dropping an iron on it. Also got an iron burn on my stomach when I jerked it while ironing in a sports bra. (Do we see a theme here? I don't iron anymore.) Oh, tore my meniscus doing yoga. Lame-o. Hurt the bottom of my foot (for 18 months!) tripping over a speed bump. And decided to play goalie with my 8 y.o. DS who was practicing heading the ball... Took all of 5 min for me to break my pinkie finger :roll:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 10:32 AM
Too late to edit, but in no way were we angry at the employee. We could tell he was just doing his job as he was told.  :hug: but at the same time, DH who is very particular about his movie experience after having worked in theaters for 8 years, wanted to see it in the big theater. It was just really odd!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:29 PM
I have a question authority approach when things don't seem right. I'd have probably at least inquired as to why I was being shunted into the smaller theatre when I paid full price to see it in the big theater. 

I still haven't seen Creed I.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:37 PM
It was likely a scheduling error on the theater's part. If they show a movie on multiple screens, times are always staggered by at least 30 min
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:22 PM
I didn't think you were mad at the employee.:happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:35 PM
Good. My I am verbally challenged so sometimes things don't come out like I mean. I'm much better with numbers
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:27 PM
I loved the first Creed, glad to hear the 2nd one is good too!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:37 PM
I liked it, but I'm easy to please : pbbt:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-12-02 2:11 PM Edited 2018-12-02 2:17 PM
Ouch on the swollen foot. :shocker!: Hope it gets better quickly. (You know the drill: ice, rest, etc)
Most of my injuries have been dumb. :laugh: The dumbest one was burning all of my fingertips when cleaning the oven. This was before self-cleaning ovens. I had turned on the oven because the cleaner worked better when warm. I sprayed the oven with the cleaner and then decided it was easier to clean when the heating element was pulled out. So of course I grabbed the heating element with both hands to pull it out.  I seared all of my finger tips on the HOT element that had not yet turned a nice warning red.
Oh, and thanks for giving me a good reason not to iron. :happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:34 PM
Doh! Sounds like something I would do
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-02 3:52 PM
Why the heck were you ironing a sports bra? :wtf::laugh:

I liked Creed II!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:33 PM
Lol. I was IN just a sports bra, so my stomach was bare. Jerked the iron and onto my stomach :roll:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 7:02 PM Edited 2018-12-02 7:10 PM
Oh gosh. I've done that before ironing a blouse. Ugly mark for a long time after that and boy did it hurt!:cry: Maybe they need a warning: Ironing in just a bra can lead to injury
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-12-02 7:07 PM
:laugh:  I had the same reaction!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-02 10:10 AM
In 1976 I "cut" an evening Accounting 101 class I was taking to play in two basketball games one evening (work league first, then a town rec. league).  Didn't make it to halftime of the first game as I ruptured my ACL (but it wasn't diagnosed as that severe at the time).  My only excuse is that I was just 22 :roll:

Swam 1800 meters this morning.  Only 3 people in the pool the entire time I was there.  Had a lane all to myself!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:30 PM
I'll bet you had hindsight on that decision.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:21 PM
For sure!  It did however, eventually force me to give up basketball and when I gained enough weight to be uncomfortable, take up running 8 years later.

I still got an A in ACT 101  : pbbt:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 7:03 PM
Glad not all was lost!
Parent - - By essel [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:35 PM
Land to yourself is pretty awesome! Good swim!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:23 PM
Yep & it inspired me to do a couple of laps backstroke...since I didn't have to worry about veering out of my half of the lane & swimming into someone :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:24 PM
I'm glad I'm not back to the pool, but I do remember how having a lane to myself felt!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:38 PM
Someone might say that was karma. :wink: but ouch!!!!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-12-02 7:09 PM
How many people are usually in your lane? 

Nice job on Accounting!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-03 3:56 AM
1 or 2.  No more unless the swimmers agree to "circle swim", which is not typical unless they all know each other & will swim at about the same pace.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-12-03 6:36 AM
Always a treat to have your own lane.  Last week I had the entire pool to myself.  :cool:  I'm too slow to circle swim.  :blush:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-03 7:50 AM
:laugh:  me too!
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-12-02 11:24 AM
Hope yer ankle recovers fast. :meh:

My knee is feeling much better after a brace change.

My weirdest injury was getting several stitches in the roof of my mouth. I was ~6yo and was pretending to be a mosquito. I jumped from a dresser onto a bed with a 2 foot long dowel in my mouth. Thinking back. I'm lucky I'm not dead. :meh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:28 PM
Why aren't children born with fully developed frontal lobes?!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:32 PM
That's one scary injury. I can't imagine how bad that must have hurt.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-12-02 2:18 PM
It is truly amazing any of us make it to adulthood.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:24 PM
Sounds like a normal boy injury!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-12-02 5:41 PM
This.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-02 3:53 PM
I jumped from a dresser onto a bed with a 2 foot long dowel in my mouth
:shocker!::laugh::laugh: Oh to be a kid again
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 4:47 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:39 PM
Oh my! Your mom had her hands full! :laugh::hug:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-12-02 7:10 PM
OK, so now that we know you are okay...:laugh::laugh::laugh: that is a great story!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-02 12:02 PM
10km with Molly on leash along the road....about 2 km from home a highway sanding truck pulled over and the guy got out and we talked for about 10 minutes about stuff.

Ankles are really bad injuries.  My left ankle was totally wrecked years ago so when I roll it now it doesn't really bother me.  My right ankle was great until Sept 2017 as I just rolled it while running.  It took 3-4 months to feel right again.  Hope yours recovers faster.  :hug:

My best injury was playing volleyball and diving for a ball while wearing a brand new t-shirt with a rubber logo on the front.  So there was no dramatic slide as I hit the floor....I stopped immediately and my chin slammed down.  Four stitches to seal that sucker up.  :hug:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-12-02 2:19 PM
:shocker!:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-02 3:35 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:25 PM
I'm sorry, but your shirt injury made me laugh!:laugh:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-02 3:39 PM
It was comical.....I still continued the game with blood all over me and a ridiculous bandage that wasn't doing much.  I ended up driving home and realizing I ought to go to the emerg for stitches. It was one of the coldest nights of the year and I think I was a little goofy in the head. When it was all over I got in my car to drive home from the hospital and heard a noise in the back seat.  It was Mookie.....for some reason I thought it was a good idea to bring him to the hospital and have him sit for hours in the car....but I don't remember leaving the house with him.  :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 5:05 PM
:shocker!:

Mookie.:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-02 3:54 PM
Same here :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:41 PM
Oh my! :shocker!:

I took up yoga partially because my ankles are so bad. I trip walking on flat ground. Don't get me started running on grass.  I literally couldn't run 200 yards without falling.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-12-02 12:18 PM
4.3 cruddy, windy and damp miles.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:34 PM
Today's running conditions in the midwest:meh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:26 PM
Cruddy miles are better than no miles?
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:25 PM
90 minute HR endurance spin class today. Less effort than the 90 minute climbing class yesterday, but still, my 3rd 90 minute spin this week.:happy: Of course, if the weather ever decides not to be completely crappy on any weekend in north Jersey, I'd be out running.:roll: Might do a short run later. After spin, Philip and I went for dim sum in Secaucus, NJ, and ate all the food! A really good place! He had the chicken feet though, I couldn't bring myself to try them.:blush:

I am the queen of stupid injuries. They usually occur within 24 hours of registering for a goal race. A few years ago I registered for a goal marathon, and the very next morning I jammed my (bare) foot into the bottom of a metal folding chair. I would have sworn I broke three toes.:cry: I iced, swallowed half a jar of advil, and two days later I taped the smaller toes to the bigger toe and ran. Still hurt, but not so badly. Then there was the big one, in 2006 I ran my first (and only) trail half marathon. For the first 3 miles, I was gliding along pretending I was a deer; then I tripped on something under the leaves and went down hard on my right shoulder. No more deer, now I felt like an elephant. I don't know how I finished that stupid race.:laugh: I couldn't raise my right arm more than an inch or two, had to run with it hanging t my side. I think I broke it, but never got it checked. I couldn't lift it normally for weeks, then that shoulder hurt in a mild way for years. Then there was the tiny chip in the road that I tripped on at mile 20 ish of NYCM 2007, and a million or so falls and other clumsiness. I guess that's why I never wanted to be a ballerina, like all the other girls in kindergarten.:roll:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:28 PM
Since you are doing so much on the bike, have you thought about competing on it?
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 4:50 PM
Sarcasm?:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 4:42 PM
Lol I think you could be my cousin :grin:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 1:26 PM
I managed to run 8. I wanted to do 6.5, but the way the route was designed, I cut through and only knocked less than a mile off of the 9 mile loop. I'm actually kind of pleased I did 8. Kind of like I tricked myself into going farther. This was quite a trick since it was cold, windy, hilly and frozen precipitation was coming down the whole time.  I certainly wouldn't have voluntarily gone an inch farther. : pbbt:

Nothing is swollen and I am thankful to be indoors now.  :grin:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:28 PM
Good job and getting it done!
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-02 2:32 PM
I have broken my ribs twice because i tripped over nothing while running. I've torn the ligaments in my ankle because i tripped over nothing while running. I slipped on the ice running which splintered my tibia so badly, it popped out of the skin. That one was incredibly dumb as ai was in a race, running past two volunteers yelling....."look out for the ice!":roll:

10 easy miles......oddly at the same pace as yesterday's 18 miler. I am consistent? I am slow!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 4:55 PM
Yikes! I still have nightmares from the last time you described that tibia break going through your skin!:shocker!: I can't imagine anything more painful!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 5:09 PM
I would lol and nod same here about everything except that tibia!!! Holy sh!t! :cry: to
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-12-02 5:43 PM
The tibia :shocker!::cry:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-02 7:04 PM
Those are some nasty injuries.:shocker!:
- - By coleman Date 2018-12-02 2:53 PM
I thought the wife and I were going to go for a run this morning, but she snuck out early, apparently she prefers her own time away from me :laugh: at her own pace.

Was worried about my legs last night from pushing the pace yesterday, but headed out for the 6 mile lake loop, took the harder hill route which turns into somewhat of a hike on the out, around the lake, and the flatter trail home. Listened to some George Thorogood, he had me in a good groove.
The wife thinks I'm going to get hurt, by pushing it too hard, she called me old :shocker!:

Need to put up the outside baby bottle Xmas tree today. It take a lot of time, but it's gone up every year for the past 52 years, so it'll be up again today.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 5:00 PM
We are old!: pbbt:  But you're still speedy! Nice run.:happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 5:10 PM
Lol. I am like your wife. I need alone time!
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-02 4:01 PM
Jonesing for a run right now, but I think I will satisfy that with a long dog walk since I have way too many things to do tonight before I go to bed. :roll:

First cheer competition of the season for stepkid #2 today. She is on 2 teams this year and one team took 2nd and one team took 1st. :cool: Yesterday was the first street hockey game of the season for stepkid #1, his team lost but he did great and scored a goal! Good start to the winter sports seasons. :cool:

Stupid injuries: I've sprained my ankle standing still before. :roll: Cracked my collarbone as a kid side-skipping through the house, the flooring in the dining room was higher than the floor in the kitchen, and I caught the lip of the flooring transition and fell on my shoulder and cracking my collarbone. I broke my arm roller skating in 8th grade, someone pushed me from behind and I put my arms down to catch myself when I fell, and my left elbow popped out (not breaking the skin) and I broke it in 3 places. Most stupid running injury: spraining my ankle falling into a ditch at RTB when my headlamp went out. I kept running and tagged the side of the road, twisting my ankle and falling. It was stupid because I should have used new batteries. :roll:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 5:04 PM
Good for the step kids! They've got to feel good about competing this year.:happy:

RTB is so freakin' dark at night.:meh: I had some near misses with a headlamp the first year I ran it, so after that I always took my zillion lumen super headlamp that I use for ultras- it's like a spotlight on your head- and even with that, those roads have some nasty sh!t on it!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-02 5:12 PM
Congrats to the stepkids! And high five fellow klutz! My mom nicknamed me bruise-y as a child because I kept walking into doorknobs :meh: not much has changed :cry:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-12-02 5:45 PM
Spraining an ankle standing still takes talent. :shocker!:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Swollen Sunday Dailies