Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Saturday Pie Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:02 AM
I think it was blazer who loved pie. Well today is her day. Apparently, it is National Pie Day! I like that better than National Eat a Red Apple Day. So, tell us about your favorite pie(s) and whatever else you did or will do today.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-01 10:07 AM
About to head over to the lake trails with the Lady for 6-7 miles. No hunting there so it's a good place this time of year. Thought about going to Nolde Forest but don't feel like the longer drive today.

Last night, 4+ up on the local trail. Pretty dark as we finished. Fun run in away. The trail wanders through a small open space area adjacent to some homes, so I got to see some Christmas lights. Some sort of owl lives in this area. I've been hearing it lately when I run at dusk. He was really hooting away last night and also on the move. I could hear the noise coming from different directions. On the hunt I think. I heard some screeching as well that was spooky in a way. Some critter was not too happy.

Pie. I am more of a cobbler person, but like a good key lime pie.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:44 PM
It sounds like you really made the most of appreciating a run in the dark.

Key lime pie doesn't sound particularly good, but for some reason it is just delicious.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:46 PM
Cobbler is also good.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:02 PM
Fun about the owl, though Donnasaur has a scary story about one dive-bombing her DH.  They don't share their space graciously.

Cobbler -  yes!  I love cobblers!!
Parent - - By coleman Date 2018-12-01 7:36 PM
I'd like to get a dog I can take out on the trails with me someday, for the past 13 years I've loved my Coco (Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix) I used to get her to run around the block, but at this point she's ok going out front and a couple house down.

Can't remember where your at, but your local trail run description reminded me of running the trails behind the houses in the North Carolina, Charlotte area, where I used to travel to regularly
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-01 11:13 PM Edited 2018-12-01 11:21 PM
I am in southeast PA still... an hour NW outside of Philly.

I have a German Short Hair Pointer now. She is an awesome running dog but is about 12 now. Most all dogs like to run but the sporting breeds are the best.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:12 AM
I am trying out my very first laptop that is our Xmas present.  Our old computer is over 8 years old.  We rarely use it.  Hopefully, I'll use this more.  Anyhow, I literally kicked myself through my run today.  1 mile outside, then 2 miles on the TM for a warm-up.  Then an hour of intervals: 8 sets of 5 min at 8.8mph with 3 min recoveries at 8.0mph.  Shouldn't have been that hard, and I was mostly pleased that it wasn't THAT hard.  I still wanted to quit :roll: but didn't.  I was aware that I kept kicking my right ankle, but OMG when I got off, it's all red/purple and swollen.  Dork.  Usually, I kick my left calf, so I dunno what was up with today.  Then I did P90X yoga.  It's OK. Very thorough, but I don't like how he makes it feel more like a workout.

DS2 was supposed to go with a friend to visit DS1 this afternoon/tonight.  It would have been the biggest trip he's done.  But I think the friend has to bail.  :( I feel badly for him, but also relieved.  Not crazy about him driving all that way and over the twisty mountain road with no shoulder and no cell service for his first long trip. I know he has to do it sometime and may still go, but I confess I am partially relieved. :blush:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-01 10:09 AM
I used to kick myself all the time when running. I think mostly ankle too. I thought I was the only clutz that did that. I feel better now.  :laugh:  ... sorry!

Enjoy the smoking fast new computer!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 10:53 AM
Those are some speedy intervals!:cool:

I would be relieved too.:hug: Hard not to worry about our kids!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:46 PM
How many times as a parent do we secretly feel relieved when something gets cancelled? I know I have quite a few.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:48 PM
I did not realize P90X had yoga! I need to pull my DVRs out and try it!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:54 PM
I read somewhere that kicking your ankles means that your calves are tight. :wtf:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:26 PM
Interesting my calves are always tight. But I'm now sporting a did 4"diameter swollen red/purple ankle :cry: glad tomorrow's an off day, but monday might have to be a bike day too.
Parent - By AgelessDave Date 2018-12-01 4:19 PM
I don’t think I will ever get past some level of worry with regard to my kids. Of course this only seems to kick in when they are nearby. I have been fairly carefree with regard to my daughters life in Spain.

And nice job with the intervals.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:05 PM
I wear a hole in the collar of every left running shoe I own.  :shocker!:

I would be relieved, too :hug:
Parent - - By coleman Date 2018-12-01 7:25 PM
Nice job with the mill work, I hate the TM.
My wife made me get one, had to re-organize the garage for it, thought it be a hanger, but it has come in handy :wink: Using it for some controlled paces is something I might try, to counter the rain/cold and daylight savings time.

Hopefully the injured calf doesn't cause any issues (I'm always worried about little aches/pains)
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:28 PM
I made peace with the TM a long time ago. In some ways I find it comforting. But I also always do it at a gym, where I can actually see people and watch TV and stuff. All my outdoor runs are in the dark and solo. In some ways those are like my TM runs - except in a dark closet : pbbt:
Parent - By coleman Date 2018-12-01 8:49 PM
I remember years ago, I didn't want to miss my long run while training for some marathon, and we had some major storm watch warning :laugh: so I ran to the Gym, jumped on the TM, so I could watch what I thought was an important NFL game.  It actually turned into a pleasant experience :laugh:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-12-01 10:05 AM
My wife and I were planning on a lake loop (12ish miles) but the forecast looked bad so we went for 7.8 miles instead. The wintry mix started during the last couple of miles.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:47 PM
It's good you still managed to beat the weather and get in a run.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:49 PM
Oh how I hate a wintry mix. Nice job getting a run in.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:06 PM
Good choice on the revised plan :wink:
- - By old turtle Date 2018-12-01 10:27 AM
I love chocolate pies, ice cream pies, key lime pies. Fruit pies are just Ok with me and I seriously dislike pumpkin pie- it's like they are almost healthy or something :laugh:. (I love fruit, just not so much in pies.)

12 miles for me on the flat greenway today. Felt unusually good.

Will be doing core stuff now.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:48 PM
12 miles is usually feels best when it's over.: pbbt:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-12-01 2:47 PM
True. :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:29 PM
: laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:49 PM
I can live my whole life happily and never eat pumpkin pie again.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:54 PM
Nice run!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:07 PM
Yeah, I don't get pumpkin pie either, but I always feel obligated to put one out on Thanksgiving. No one eats it.:roll: Next year maybe I'll buck tradition.:laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:07 PM
yeah, pumpkin doesn't do much for me at all :meh:  Good job with the good 12 miles :cool:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-12-01 10:39 AM
Cherry pie is my favorite. I only have it once a year though...

We need to coordinate what's the bday is going to look like, guys may go to the LA auto show, I need to run errands this am, so maybe just a quick and hilly ride in the afternoon.

And few walks with the puppster.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:55 PM
Hopefully, your afternoon will allow you to get that ride in.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:50 PM
Cherry pie:hug::hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:21 PM
Once a year on your birthday????:grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:30 PM
I like most all pies, and I know this isn't the same thing, but for many years I had an obsession with those hostess cherry pies
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 10:50 AM Edited 2018-12-01 10:54 AM
I'm not a huge fan of pie, only because I'd rather spend the calories on so many other desserts first:laugh:, but I'm especially sick of pie after this Thanksgiving, we had a 1 pie to 1 person ratio this year! I won't say no to a good apple pie, but otherwise...:meh:  Funny though, I like to make pies. There's something cathartic about making a pecan pie, or a chicken pot pie.

90 minute spin class today, all climbing. Tough one, I hope my legs can manage a long run tomorrow. This was the second time I took the class, and my results (HR, output, mileage) was very consistent with the results from the first time. I use a neat app, mPaceline, which records data from each ride then turns it into nifty graphs and such. It also lets me compare one class to another.:cool: I'm getting my geek on! Off to walk my lovey, Weasly the War Poodle, and the little bastard, Bert. Have a good weekend everyone!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 1:00 PM
You seem very mindful about your workouts.  I need to get a reliable running watch. My last Garmin did not work well so I ended up getting a refund.  I'd kind of like something reliable and basic, but that would interface with apps to analyze. I don't necessarily want the watch to tell me all that stuff while I 'm using it.  I'm glad that was a good class for you.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 2:14 PM
I like having the data from the spin classes because the app makes it really easy to see what percentage of the class you spend at different efforts, and it's also easy to compare two classes. But for running, for years I just stuck with the basic distance, pace and time, even if the watch I had came with other data recording. So I went back to the Garmin 235, it's not super expensive (about $100?), gives me the basic data I want. It also counts steps if you want that. Its battery lasts for 6-7 hours, which is fine for me most of the time. I'll have to figure something out for my 50 miler. But I'm not spending $400 on a fancier Garmin just for longer battery life that I almost never need.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 8:35 PM
The Garmin 235 keeps coming up in my conversations about this. Maybe that means something. I will check it out.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:51 PM
I just download to Strava, look at the info and do nothing with it!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:10 PM
Yes! I fill in my running log faithfully after every run- then never look at it again. The novelty hasn't worn off spinning yet though, I still like to look at the graphs- not that I actually use the data in any real way, but it looks cool!: pbbt:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-01 10:55 AM
9k with Molly and my bud and his dog.  Fresh bear tracks in the frost on the gravel road.  At the end Molly took off and ate a bunch of deer poop so we detoured to the river to get her mouth cleaned up.  I still love her but don't want any licks.  She is towel dried and all smug.

I'm not a pie guy but if I was on death row and made to have a pie for my final meal it would be raspberry.....although I'd rather just eat a bunch of raspberries. :hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:37 PM
My Weasley is more of a cat poop kind of guy, but maybe if he lived in the country like Molly...
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-01 1:15 PM
Molly is a connoisseur of cat poop too.  :hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:52 PM
My Fang eats dog poop.:roll:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-12-01 4:03 PM
Well in the interest of full disclosure Molly used to eats Milo's poop so I would follow Milo around to pick up. (People thought I was nuts buying poop bags while living in the sticks)  Oddly she didn't eat Mia's poop.

I love her to pieces but I sure wish she didn't eat sh*t  :hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:29 PM
well, at least I don't feel quite so embarrassed about my grandpup's penchant for cat poop now. :roll:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-02 9:04 PM
We can start a support group.: pbbt:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 12:54 PM
I like pecan pie with chocolate. I used to like black bottom pie, but it's been a long time since I've had it. 

Running today was 6 miles and then lots of talking with some friends about different eating plans. I don't really diet or follow a plan so I mostly just poked holes in other people's plans. : pbbt:  Not in a mean way, we were just having a fun discussion.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:55 PM
My eating plan.....eat food that grows, eat food you love and exercise. The end.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:57 PM
I don't really diet or follow a plan so I mostly just poked holes in other people's plans.
:laugh: I do that too. I have a friend/colleague who does intermittent fasting plus he's vegan, and we say that all he eats is air. : pbbt:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 8:33 PM
That does sound a little restrictive...:wtf:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:27 PM
The idea of an eating plan always sounds good until I'm hungry and in a hurry.....18 hours into the plan, max.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 7:59 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-12-01 8:32 PM
Probably me too. I like the idea of flexible diet with an emphasis on the flexible. :wink:
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-12-01 1:24 PM
: pbbt: Knee  pain still. Time to see a Dr. As my luck goes, it will get better right after I see her or after an MRI.

:happy: For Thanksgiving I made a homemade pumpkin pie(first ever attempted) with homegrown pumpkins. It wasn't bad. The other part of the experiment was using graham cracker crust, homemade. I used too much sugar and it was too sweet and too thick. Otherwise, the filling turned out well. I was surprised how watery the filling was before baking. In fact, I excluded using water as I saw in one of the recipes I melded together. The whipped cream was fresh and not from a can, too.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:55 PM
That definitely sounds like a pie with love!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:25 PM
Knee pain :cry:
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2018-12-02 10:29 AM
:happy:Amazingly, it is feeling much better in less than a day. I switched braces. Coincidentally, the overly complex but not very effective brace was made be a company called Mueller. :meh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:37 PM
Wow! Ambitious you are!  Most impressive.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-01 1:48 PM
Good old apple pie for me!

Hit up Home Depot this morning for two more strings of icicle lights to replace two I had hung yesterday with sections out.  Got a wreath for our front door while I was there.  After hanging the new icicle lights, I used the leaf blower & vac to clean up the leaves in the backyard and then gave it a final mowing for the year...mostly so the mower would suck up & bag most of the pine needles that the blower vac attachment doesn't work on.  My front lawn (did that yesterday) and back yard are now immaculate!  We're supposed to get 1/2" - 1" of rain overnight so by tomorrow more leaves will ruin that look :mutmad:   At least there aren't too many left on the trees to come down!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:56 PM
My neighbors across the street hung those icicle lights and they look lovely. I'm sure your house does as well.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:12 PM
So when are you coordinating your Christmas lights to music on loudspeakers in your yard?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:04 PM
Nope...Nopeynop...NOP!!!!!

I do however, have a just before Christmas spin class with Christmas themed music...music you can ride to, not traditional carols...and I've included a couple of TSO tracks coordinated to just that...but someone else's house and show the video on our 70" screen in class.  The rest of the time there is a slideshow of Christmas/winter scenery.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:23 PM
Your yard and lights work has to count for good cross training!  I'll bet the house looks great!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:37 PM
Lol. I love reading about your leaf saga. I'm sure you don't quite feel the same :laugh:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:52 PM
My favorite is Pi Day in March. :laugh:

My favorite pie is my mom's pumpkin pie, which I made for the first time this year at Thanksgiving. Yum!

12 miles this morning/afternoon. They sucked. Everything hurt: my feet, my legs, my lower back, my upper back. I ran in new shoes that I had only put 4 miles on. That was likely the culprit since it takes a while to break in new shoes with my orthotics. So it's my fault for being stupid. 6 miles on the running path, lots of people were out with doggies so that was fun.

Gotta work now for a bit. :meh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:57 PM
Pi Day!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:24 PM
I thought the same thing.  One of my nephews has a BD on 3/14, which I never forget.  He turned 21 on 3.14.15 :laugh:

I was going to say :wtf:  New shoes should feel good right away, but orthotics :roll: bleah!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:36 PM
Boo on the run stinking. But good you can't point to a reason
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:00 PM
I love cherry, blueberry, strawberry, pecan, chocolate pecan, and most cream pies. I rarely bake them, but can't pass them up.

Ran 18 miles on a lovely, lovely morning. Was 58 when I started at 6:15 and low 60s when I finished. The last of the leaves are on the trees, so everything looked wonderful. I had company for all but the first and last 2.5 miles, so that made the miles fly by.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:23 PM
Nice run! I hope to get in a long run tomorrow morning, and if it's half as good as yours sounds, I'll be happy!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:58 PM
Mornings like that are why you run!! :hug:  Hope your fasties do well at CIM tomorrow :wink:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:35 PM
I definitely don't bake them. Put me in the consumption camp :grin: nice work on the 18!
- - By AgelessDave Date 2018-12-01 4:27 PM
I had an uneventful 5 miles of running on my treadmill. I was happy to find that not running a step for a couple of weeks didn’t hurt me too badly. I just have to stay in the running mode. In order to stay on track I am contemplating signing up for a race. This seems to work in keeping me on track because I am just too cheap to just throw the money away! 

I ama fan of most pies, if forced to pick just one I would probably go with key lime.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 5:12 PM
I'm the same way.  Gotta have a race on the calendar somewhere, or I'm slacking off and getting lazy. 

When we were in Spain, we saw some great places that looked like they'd be good running (Valencia, Barcelona, Seville) but :meh:  I didn't do that much - wanted to enjoy the time with DH and hey, sweaty running clothes can turn a suitcase into a bio-hazard in a very short time.  (We did nearly three weeks with just a carry-on suitcase.  Everything was gamey by the time we got back : pbbt:)
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:34 PM
The couple of times we went, I didn't run either. 2-3 weeks off didnt hurt at all. Probably helps honestly - as long as it doesn't become a habit. Signing up for a race sounds good. I just usually pretend to sign up. :blush:
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-12-01 4:56 PM
I've never eaten a lot of pie.  No grudge against it -- I just don't have many opportunities to eat it.  My great aunt used to make a magnificent lemon meringue pie, but the tastiness of the dessert was due in large part to just being at my aunt's.  She spoiled me real bad :evil::hug:

Yesterday was a taper for today's half mary. Weather this morning was 43 degrees, no wind and light sprinkles.  I surprised myself with a 1:45:23 finish :shocker!::cool:  -  fifth woman, 1st masters (1st woman was just 1:40, so no one was breaking any speed records :wink:.  For all the hills, I'm delighted with how things went.  Biggest concern was course management, and it was very well done.  There was only one ass canoe who just deliberately refused to give up his half of the road for a runner :mutmad:  Volunteers managed the turns and intersections amazingly well, and man, were they needed!  DS brought GD to keep us company beforehand.:hug:  That was great.  Sonny brought me some latex gloves -- I love them for chilly/wet races. (I sweat through regular gloves, and then have cold hands.:cry:)  Race was sponsored by a local church that had great bathrooms :grin: and lots of open space for staying warm before race time.  I was anxious and not terribly motivated to run in the cold, so it was super easy to wait inside, go to the bathroom 10 minutes before the start (porcelain, auto-flush, no wait), then go line up and wait 5 min for the gun.  Not even 80 participants, and yet they provided pacers.  I thought I'd run with the 2 hour group and move up after the turnaround if I hadn't died, but I found myself trailing the 1:45 guy -- never catching him, but never lagging too far behind either.  Splits were dictated by the terrain - oof!  There were constant ups and downs, two short but nasty-steep hills, and no free-fall downhill to the finish.  Results were available almost immediately, which was very nice.  We waited around a little to see if there would be awards.  The RD said she'd just mail out the ribbons later.  I'm a little puzzled by that since I could see a big stack of medals, but :meh: it's not why I ran this one, and hey, that meant we could go get breakfast that much sooner :cool:

I'm looking forward to taking it easy now for a while.  I had hoped to get acquainted with other runners, but once again, though people were nice, I couldn't find info for local running groups.  Well, just another excuse to take it easy for a while.  I'm glad I trained for this as best I could.  I'm glad I did it, but now, I'm really glad it's' over, too.
Parent - By coleman Date 2018-12-01 6:29 PM Edited 2018-12-01 6:49 PM
:cool: Great Job
Not sure why but I chuckled at the bathroom accommodations, did you have heated seats? :laugh:
Sounded like a great race
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 8:03 PM
Nice!:cool: Perfect weather too.

Have you checked out the local running store for groups yet?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:32 PM
You rock :cool: seriously. You are amazing
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-01 11:25 PM
Sweet... :cool:

For some reason I believe your downtime will be a short one!
- - By coleman Date 2018-12-01 6:19 PM
Not a big pie eater, had I known it was National Pie Day I'd have bought one while grocery shopping today (should have checked in here :grin: )

Rain early this morning so slept in, seemed to clear up about 11, so went out on the trail, 2 miles in it started to rain, I didn't want muddy shoes, so took to the streets, haven't run in the rain for a long time.  Took it to the local high school :wink: Figured I may as well run a mile on the track to see what I got.  Felt really good opening it up, came home in 6:42 :shocker!: Haven't pushed that hard in years, took it back home on the streets on the mile or so route, tried for what used to be my marathon pace (~8) Hard to believe I used to run that pace.

Went shopping, had a BBQ, now watching Bama/Georgia drinking a beer, wondering if the aches in my legs will hinder me in any way for tomorrow.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 8:04 PM
Wow, 6:42? You still have speed, you just need to build up again!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-12-01 8:32 PM
Nice!
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-12-01 9:43 PM
Nice
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-12-01 11:23 PM
Nice pace. I ran a mile the other day under 8 and was pleased. Age and arthritis suck, but hey I am not done yet.

Good to see you posting again. :cool:
- By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-12-03 8:55 AM
Benji and I ran 9.00 miles and it was awesome! longest run in ages, Benji was a trooper) and huge plus that the water fountains at the park we went by were still on, so we were able to get a drink (well, he mostly drank from puddles) :roll:

I love my grandma's pumpkin chiffon pie and make it for Thanksgiving instead of regular pumpkin pie. it's got a graham cracker crust and it's light and fluffy, and it reminds me of her :hug:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Saturday Pie Dailies