Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tough Act to Follow FRIDAY
- - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-30 8:43 AM
Tough to follow up CJ's beautiful post yesterday.  :hug:

I will start it anyway... run/workout, food/drink, blather. Oh, have you ever repeated a race and thought to yourself, how the heck am I going to better my time here? Any successes in that regard?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-30 8:53 AM
About 5.5 last night on the trails of Coventry Woods with the lady. A big giant red orange ball of sun was blinding us as we "ran" down the hill on the south side of the ridge, and setting behind us as we ran on the flat trail on the ridgeline. By the time we went back down the north side it was getting dusky and dark. Pretty slow run. Knees were in cranky creaky mode. Oh well. I had the Lady with me and we had acres and acres of forest to ourselves so all is good.

Today, gym stuff at lunch and perhaps 4-5 miles in the evening on the local trail.

The second year I did the JFK50 miler is one that always sticks out at me. I crushed that run in 2007, and in 2008 was signed up again but a bit wore down from a busy late summer/early fall season of racing. Still, I looked at my split times from 2007 (there is 15 miles on the AT trail, flat cinder towpath marathon, and 9 miles of rolling roads) and could not fathom how I could eke out even a few extra minutes. Of course I didn't. I finished about 45 minutes slower but it actually wasn't that bad considering I was somewhat burnt out. Laurel Highlands, I did 5 times and probably the 5th time there is one of proudest runs as I beat an 7 year old time from my faster days by 6 minutes. Not much time for that distance, but it was still very special.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 9:21 AM
Nice! You describe why I like to run some courses regularly :happy::hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 9:22 AM
yesterday sounds like a beautiful run.

I feel like one of the hardest things about running is competing with our 'younger' selves.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:48 AM
What donna said.....a course at 50 is much different than a course at even 45, let alone 35!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:52 PM
Nice run with the Lady!

Re: Laurel Highlands, just to be running near the same time from 7 years ago feels so good!:cool: I described a similar experience at the NYC 60K a few years ago, and I didn't better my time by as much as you did- just beat an old time by a minute or so. But it felt great.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:11 PM
Most of my races are repeats.  I've seldom improved on my initial outing.  I'm looking forward to trying some new events in the new year.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:23 PM
6 miles with some strides thrown in today. Hit up a few new roads, so I am slowly making my way toward my goal of running on every road in town. It was lovely weather: lightly snowing, but with no wind so it was still warm enough for shorts. Saw a bunch of people out walking their dogs and they were all friendly, which was nice.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-30 8:50 AM
Hi!
I'm taking a rest day. Thought about yoga but my Mom is coming in and we're going to do a little shopping so I didn't want to go, go, go.

We went to this new distilling company last night for a happy hour. It's the Firestone and Robertson guys that started TX whiskey. It's kind of in the ghetto but it is GORGEOUS. There was live music and we got two drinks with our charitable donation of $20 a piece. :hug: I had two pecan old fashioned cocktails. YUM. :hug: I wish I knew how to post pics and I'd share our pic. :roll::hug:

Tonight we're taking the kids to see a play. Should be a fun weekend! :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-30 8:55 AM
You just need a link to the pic to post it here. Lots of share sites though make getting a usable link tricky. They tend to make you login or sign up.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 9:21 AM
Have fun with your mom :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 9:29 AM
those cocktails sound great!

Have fun with your mom
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:50 AM
I wish I liked whiskey as there seems to be a lot of fun places focusing on it.
Parent - By mutiger [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:08 PM
doesnt facebook allow you to linky pics you post there :wtf:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-30 9:03 AM
8.17 mi this morning.

Food: oatmeal with a banana.

Blather: Last night, I made a streusel-topped ginger pumpkin bread and a sweet potato coffee cake.

Oh, have you ever repeated a race and thought to yourself, how the heck am I going to better my time here? Any successes in that regard?

The only races I really repeat anymore are RTB and Covered Bridges half. I definitely ran Covered Bridges faster after I'd run it a few times (I think I have two sub-1:30s there). Now my times are slower, but next year, I'd like to get it back under 1:40, which I think I can do. As far as RTB, even though I've run the same legs for the past few years, I don't really focus on my times for the legs -- mostly just focus on getting them done.

Weekend: I promised a friend that I'd donate some baked goods to an event she's hosting on Sunday, so I get to bake all day tomorrow! #yay Probably working on Sunday, so :meh:.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 9:22 AM
Baking all day sounds great!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:48 AM
that coffee cake looked amazing.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:50 AM
A streusel topped anything is always delicious!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:51 PM
Nice blather!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 7:02 PM
You have got to stop with the descriptions- I just drooled on my keyboard. One more detail about a divine baked good and I'm going to whip out my kitchen aid!: pbbt:

RTB, yeah, I never even remember what legs I did right after I did them. I don't even count that as a repeat race.:laugh:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 9:28 AM
run was 7 miles

I just had some toast, dinner will be calzones.

R comes home tonight, he stayed in europe another week for work. it will nice for us to all be home for a few days (I leave on Wednesday next week). This weekend is busy- tomorrow is just the usual saturday stuff, but sunday is Breakfast with Santa and Elf the Musical. I do think N is starting to figure out Santa, last night she was commenting on the different outfits and different beards, I think this is the last year :hug:

So bus update! The transportation department announced yesterday they are going to a 'hub' system. This means fewer stops, so people may need to drive to a stop farther from their home, but they will be able to have single school buses. So no middle schoolers. For me this will probably be good-no other schools on the bus and the stop will stay the same, but a lot of parents are pissed. It is a huge school district (entire city of Dallas other than one small section) and some people do not have a stop very close. For some families without a car this presents a real hardship. And in typical shitty fashion the information meetings are both set for Wednesday at 1pm and 5pm. Almost all of the parents who use the bus work, but they scheduled them during the work day-I am out of town so can't go but if I were around N doesn't get home on the bus until 5, so I wouldn't able to get her and get to the meeting. It's like these people just do not think about reality.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:54 AM
Blazerman is growing a beard which is coming in all white.  I believe he plans on wearing a Santa hat when he is driving his bus, when the beard is fully in which will be a week or so.  I never thought about the fact a Santa looking school bus driver may present a conundrum for elementary school kids. :shocker!:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 11:13 AM
yeah, those that are on the edge of figuring it out.. I think for Blazerman since they see him every day and they will see the transition they will see that it is fun.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-30 11:20 AM
WTH? We schedule our public stuff from 4-6 for that reason. But if we get more than 3 people, we consider that a huge turnout : pbbt: I'm glad it's working better for you at least
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 11:47 AM
yes, and in a big sprawling city where it can take well over an hour to get across town, why schedule it at rush hour? Ugh.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:22 PM
I hope that N has many more magic filled Christmases before she figures everything out. At least with one, you only need to worry about her. With 3 we knew that as soon as the oldest figured it out keeping the magic for the others was going to be difficult.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:42 PM
I hope so too...it was kind of sweet, she was pointing out things she had noticed. I just want her to at least have this year!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:51 PM
N :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 7:09 PM
I love the movie Elf, I hope they do a good job with the musical!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-30 9:30 AM
9km with Molly and another dog and human....very frosty this morning  -3C.  It's really clear though so lots of stars (other than Molly & I) and a bit of moon.  Looks like a long clear stretch so we won't see snow until December sometime which I think is really great....even though I like snow.

Pepe the cat was cozied up in her house in her shed so Frankie the wild/feral cat was around this morning looking for food at Peps usual feeding spot.  I loaded him up big time!:hug:

Oh and in case you missed it yesterday I finally figured out how to make a link for the Molly frisbee pics....

https://qq0u.app.link/e/DXGDZxaFfS     :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-30 10:00 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-30 11:18 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:49 AM
I love those pics!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-30 11:19 AM
thks….the flash made her eyes all freaky....it's a real skill to get them like that!  :hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:55 AM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-30 11:19 AM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:51 PM
great picture of a great dog!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 7:11 PM
Aw, chocolate labby!:hug::hug: No wonder she's a frisbee champ!
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 9:30 AM
Thanks XT :hug:

Rest day for me. May walk around campus for a bit and PT stuff once I get home. Just 6 last night.

I like going back to courses to see if I can do better. It's cool "knowing" a course and where you can push etc. I've run my hometown Buffalo marathon a number of times. It's my pr course and I always wonder if I can re-pr there one day. Vermont 100 I've run 5 times. The second time was my fastest there. It was also the only time I've run it that it wasn't hot and humid with a thunderstorm. The other one that comes to mind is the Canandaigua 50 miler. I have been chasing the old lady course record for a few years though I have been unable to run the race the last two years. It's also where I have my 50 mile PR.

My kitty Grady does have hyperthyroidism, so she will be on medication for the rest of her life. She's been a champ about taking the pills so far :hug: It does have me feeling a little weepy though..making me realize she won't be around forever.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:50 AM
:hug: to you and grady. Pets are the best.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:57 AM
My older dog is starting to get creaky and I have just started thinking about how she won't be with us forever.  :sad: I love her SO MUCH.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 11:58 AM
:hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 7:16 PM
No! Seems like you only adopted Tonks a few years ago!:shocker!:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-30 11:22 AM
:hug: I really dread when Chester dies. He's DHs all time favorite cat. He's at least 16, but he was grown when we got him. It's hard to tell if he doesn't feel well though, because he's always been a living stuffed animal:grin:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 12:01 PM
I had a conversation with my vet the other day about something I read about how kitties, as part of their survival instincts, hide any illness so as not to be seen as vulnerable to possible predators. It's so hard to tell sometimes if something is wrong.

:hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 7:21 PM
Hey! Buffalo's my hometown marathon!: pbbt: Honestly, except for the very first time- in 2005- they've all been so hot and humid, I haven't had a decent run there since the first one. I'd love to PR there, but not in that heat.:sad:

Canandaigua.:hug:

Grady.:hug::hug:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-30 9:46 AM
I never really raced big long events regularly, though I have repeated.  But 5Ks?  For a long time I did them all around here.  They were basically run on 2 courses, so I had plenty of practice stinking them up.  (hate the 5K!)

I woke up with enthusiasm.  Sadly, it did not last.  After my nice run on the frozen trail, I thought I’d plan to hit part of it again today.  Made a “new loop” in my head – all old roads I’ve run thousands of times, just not this particular loop starting from new gym.  And I was pleased that I was able to run at all and just missed the rain storm (should have been a big clue :roll: ).  Anyhow, I miscalculated the time it took, partially because I was running slow and also…  rain => not frozen trail.  I thought my route missed most of the mess, but found myself in ankle deep mud in a few spots and super slick in others.  Had to walk those parts.  Ugh.  Got to the gym and did the legs & back video.  I did like it, but at old gym we had good pull-up bars, some of which had slight angles.  Newgym I do them on a smith machine with my legs tucked behind me.  It’s OK for pull-ups, but the straight bar hurts my wrist for chin-ups.  And then today, I managed to strain my rhomboid/trap doing chin-ups right in the beginning. :meh:  Turning one’s head is overrated, right? :meh: And then I was running late because of the run and couldn’t get in my ab video.  I REALLY didn’t want to do it at lunch, so I did it at home when I usually veg/chill out and mentally gear up for the day.  Glad it’s done, but my zen, or any little zen I do have, is now gone.  Blech.

I seem to be highly aggravated by everything today :blush: – even stuff that has NOTHING to do with me and NOTHING I need to care about and nothing I can do about it anyway…  Just the fact it happened is highly irritating me…. And so glad my kid only has 6 more months in the school system… But, it is FRIDAY and PAY DAY!  So woo hoo there!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 10:03 AM
Sounds like a rough morning :hug: Hope things improve as the day goes :happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:52 AM
yay pay day!!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 10:58 AM
Pay day here as well!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:46 PM
Did you change shoes before you went to the gym?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-30 3:29 PM
Pay day tomorrow...pension deposit into my bank account...not the tiny pay day I get for teaching spin :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 7:26 PM
Pay day is good.:happy:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-30 11:18 AM
Pay day! And I got email last night that my offer form place in SF will be ready in the beginning of the next week. I guess it takes longer during holidays. Hopefully I like it and can say good bye to this place.

Run this morning was a cold one ~ 44F. But fresh air after the rain yesterday was awesome.

I usually try not to repeat running races, part of the excitement is to get to see new places! But last few years, since I moved to triathlons, I do 1-3 the same each year. Too expensive to travel for triathlons.

Happy Friday everyone!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 11:21 AM
Congrats on the offer!  I once made a job change this time of year and it did take forever.  I am sure they are very excited to have you join them!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-30 11:23 AM
Pay day AND a new job offer? Woo hoo!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:19 PM
Good luck with the impending job offer!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 1:51 PM
Hope the offer is what you want :happy:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:44 PM
Congrats.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 11:19 AM
Today is SDO off running and just circuit training this morning.  Tonight we are going out to celebrate our 22nd anniversary, but since it has been a long week for both of us, I suspect it won't be a late night.  That is fine as I am planning on 18 miles tomorrow and he is attending a golf outing for the company he does contract for.  As blazerman is a good golfer, one of the guys has already put in him in his foursome which makes him feel :happy::happy:

Back when I only ran one marathon a year and had no money, I ran the Detroit Marathon many (13?) times.  Over that time, there were probably 5-6 different variations on the course, so it was often a "different" race.  Since 2011, I have run the New Years Double half marathons on both NYE and NYD.  Since the course is double loop and I do it two days in a row each year, I used to really push it. It is flat, but the weather has been all over the place.  I've run it when it was in the 70's and last year, it was single digits and windy. I think my best time there was 1:46:xx.....now I am happy to be under 2:00.  I also ran the now defunct El Scorcho 6(?) times.  Five loops on a 5k course at midnight in July in Fort Worth is about the worst......though I did have my 25K PR there twice!

I am realizing it is more challenging to get excited for Christmas when the kids are gone.  This is the first year without Christmas blah-blah or concerts in FOREVER.  Sure, I have whined about the endless Holiday concerts I have sat through for years, but I guess they helped make me MERRY.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-30 11:28 AM
I'm struggling a bit with Xmas too - but I don't miss the concerts!!! :laugh: but DH used to insist we buy crap for everybody and their brother. I hated it, the $$$ mostly. We were up to over 40 people! But under our Xmas tree was amazing - just piles of presents everywhere for the month. Now it's just us, the kids, our parents, and a great-nephew and my aunt (usually mailed food). And the kids are just getting one "big but little" techno item mostly. The tree is empty :sad:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:35 PM
Over break, blazerman and the kids are visiting his mom who just moved to Denver.  Both kids whined about driving there (14-15 hours?), so I told them they could fly, but the plane tickets were the Christmas gifts.  They were all for that idea.  Plus, now they can spend more time with their Gramma.:hug:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:19 PM
We were lucky that when our kids were done with their high school groups they continued into college groups so we’d go to those concerts since they weren’t too far away. Now, we’re mostly all singing together and have our first Christmas concert on Sunday.

You could always go to the high school performance as I’m sure there are still kids there that you know.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:32 PM
When the HS show choir has their "Holiday Extravaganza", all the alumni join the current choir to sing Go Tell It On The Mountain.  Fortunately, that performance is the first evening blazerboy will be home for break, so I will likely go to that. They have had people from 10-12 years prior show up for the song....it is wonderful.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:39 PM
There you go! Your Grinch heart just grew a couple of sizes. :wink:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 1:53 PM
Congratulations on your anniversary :happy:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:43 PM
El Scorcho 6(?) times.  Five loops on a 5k course at midnight in July in Fort Worth is about the worst......

:wtf: You looked like you were sleeping just fine in the heat. : pbbt:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-30 3:32 PM
Happy Anniversary!
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-30 11:31 AM
5.3 miles with my wife. Pretty nice morning. 31* and calm.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:41 PM
It always feels 10* warmer when it's calm outside. :cool:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:52 PM
still cold :)
- - By SRoo Date 2018-11-30 12:13 PM
Happy Friday!  I swam at noon and am now gazing bleary-eyed at some type of assignment I need to work on.  Yesterday I lifted.  After a month of "easing into it" or "being a slacker" I can finally move some weights around and do pushups and stuff.  The doggo helped ensure that my planks were challenging.  :hug:  I need to walk that beast tonight.

I don't have anything to report on the race question because I haven't raced in years.  2015 sprint tri maybe?  or before that?  I'm eager but slow, so it is best that I do not dwell on results.
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:11 PM
I'm going to walk my beast as well. it's cooler but he still likes it. His senses are going into overdrive after good rain we recently had and he collapses at 7 pm for the night. :hug:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:40 PM
My dog often goes into attack mode when I am on the floor doing planks. He slides under me and starts play-biting my stomach/arms/shirt/whatever is near his mouth. :laugh: :hug:
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-11-30 8:20 PM
Sounds familiar!  :laugh:  Scout goes for the buff I use to keep my hair under control.  When I'm doing inverted rows she will plop a tennis ball on my stomach.
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 12:47 PM Edited 2018-11-30 12:56 PM
Glorious 12 miler this morning. :happy: Glorious because of no calf issues and this was my first double-digit run since October 10.  Good grief, my lack of long-run stamina is only exceeded by my lack of speed. :meh: First run this week where screw shoes were not needed. :happy:

I had that race thought after my first few Bostons; I just couldn't figure out how to run that thing. :laugh: I came up with 2 answers 1) eating a "normal"  but large breakfast (eggs, pancakes etc.) because breakfast was still 6+ hours before the start of the race and 2) I had always lifted weights for cross-training but I really hit the leg extensions and squats hard in the months leading up to Boston, because often I had plenty of energy late in the race but my quads were toast so I couldn't run any faster.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:15 PM
Congrats on the pain-free double digits!!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:36 PM
Nice!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:49 PM
:grin::grin:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:53 PM
yay for pain free run!
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:13 PM
5 miles on the elliptical.

My training partner was out today so I opted for a workout that wouldn’t tax the knee too much. Friday’s are usually pretty quiet down in our fitness center but all 3 ellipticals were occupied when I got down there. I walked on the treadmill for about 5 minutes and then one opened up.

I don’t repeat races very often but there are a couple of local races that I did every year for many years. Our oldest local half that used to be in the fall is one I did for over 10 years. Once I got past the PR years, I started pacing and did that for at least 5 years.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:37 PM
Our has started making a weird noise after being used for 20 minutes.  It is really annoying me as I have finally decided I liked using it!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 1:55 PM
I can only last 20 minutes on the elliptical :laugh: Well done!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-30 3:01 PM
To be honest, I bailed at 4 miles (just over 30 minutes) but the podcast I was listening to still had another 15 minutes to go so I stretched a little and hopped back on for the last mile.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-30 2:38 PM
Welcome to the world of the elliptical. :meh: I guess the runango world is balanced because when I was able to quit the elliptical you jumped on.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:49 PM
My town has a New Year's Day 5k and a St. Patty's Day 5k on the same course. I run both and try to improve my times each race, year over year. I run on the course regularly (1-3x per week) so I am very familiar with it. But maybe that's cheating. : pbbt:

No run last night before vball, I got stuck at work. But we won our vball match! We had 13 people come out to play! :shocker!: That's a record! No run this morning either, I really needed the sleep. I am still catching up from my quickie trip to the west coast earlier in the week. But when I did get up, my surgically repaired big toe on my left foot hurt like a mother f-er. :cry: The entire thing felt bruised. :wtf: It got better as the day went on, but it was crazy painful. If I don't go out to dinner tonight with DH and some friends, I will make up the mileage from yesterday/this morning.

SUPER crazy and stressful week at work dealing with the fallout of my boss leaving. He didn't leave on bad terms or anything, and there was sort of a transition plan in place, but everything is on fire and we are drowning at the same time. I have been running around trying to figure everything out (the other two people who are co-leading the department with me haven't been of much use :roll:) on top of doing my own work so I'm completely exhausted. Add to that, DH getting mad at me over the weekend for having to work (which was completely unreasonable given he works at the same place and understands the needs of this job and this industry, AND he knows how much everything is on fire with my boss gone) has been stressing me out since now I feel like I can't vent to him about what's happening, AND  I feel guilty about having to work over this weekend as well. :cry: So I'm venting to you all. Thanks for being here! :hug:

Weekend plans are a 12-miler tomorrow, 4-6 on Sunday, working, and packing for Kiawah! We leave Wednesday to head down to SC.
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-30 2:56 PM
Working on weekends sucks. It's affecting not only your well being but all family/ partners, etc.... but there are times that needs to happen. I'm just trying to limit these times to minimum. It may happen this weekend as well, since my planners promised me update by the end of today and I need to have it ready by Monday to let the customers know if there are any changes in a big picture of their programs.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-30 3:04 PM
Sorry about all the stress. Vent away!!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:33 PM
Aw. Work stress sucks. I hope it resolves quickly.:hug:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-11-30 3:16 PM
3 miles this morning

Back in the day, I ran the NJ Marathon in 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2006. My times progressed from 3:15 to 3:09 (first ever BQ), 3:08, and 3:07. So there’s that. These days I just use age as an excuse as to why I keep getting slower.:meh: And heart issues.:sad:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:31 PM
With those times, Tim, you don't have to have any excuses!:cool:
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-30 3:33 PM
I was bent over working on something (no comments from TheBeard needed) on Monday and could feel one of my vertebrate slide.  It's already out of alignment with the rest of the spine - I'm sure it's worse now.  That jolts the old spinal cord and makes things sore for quite a while.  I can sit, but not for that long, and I can walk pretty well, but running is out of the picture for another week or so.  I have been able to run on the treadmill in my pool.  I think the water level is high enough to take 40%-50% of body weight, so I can run at a fairly slow pace.  Also some swimming.  It look a while to brush the ice and snow off the pool cover, but it was nice having the snow falling from the trees onto my head while running and swimming.  At least between the walking and the pool running I have still been able to get my 10k steps in.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:29 PM
Please tell me your pool is heated.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-12-01 3:48 PM
:shocker!::cool:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-30 3:47 PM
I repeated a 10 mile race in Philly 22 consecutive times.  Set PRs on it a few times.  The 11th time I ran it, was my final PR at that distance, so of course I ran it another 11 times after that :roll: 

No "workout" for me today.  It's been chilly & overcast all day but there's been zero wind and just a few drops of rain.  I decided to get up on the roof & hang Christmas lights.  I put three new strings of lights up on the highest part of the roof and they are working fine.  Unfortunately, two of the strings I tested yesterday...that worked fine then...each have a section out :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:   One is on a lower portion of the roof (one story) and the other is on an overhang & reachable from a stepladder. I already made an extra trip to Home Depot today to get 2 strings of lights since I realized I'd be short on the lower level & now I'll have to go one more time to replace these...maybe tomorrow.  After the lights, I hung some garland out front and then cleared every.sibgle.leaf off my front lawn!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:28 PM
Wow! Now I feel like a slacker, all I did was slap a fake wreath on my door and call it a day. OTOH, I didn't have to go to Costco.: pbbt: :Happydance:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-12-01 1:31 PM
I put a real wreath on my door this morning.  I got it at Home Depot this morning when I went there to get 2 more strings of icicle lights.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:26 PM
Six peppy miles this morning, 90 minute spin yesterday. Got some new inserts (memory foam:wtf:) last week, and they seem to be causing some ITBS on my left side, but they feel really good on my right side. My orthotics, OTOH, bug the crap out of my arch on my right side, but feel fine on my left side. Story of my life!:laugh: Nothing new here, I'm loving having my daughter home, she takes care of a lot while I'm out walking dogs. She got our Christmas tree up and decorated yesterday.:grin:

I rarely worry about time in a repeat race, probably because I so rarely duplicate a good time on the same course. It did happen once in '14 or '15, I think it was, I ran the NYC 60K one or two minutes faster than I ran it in 2009, the year I finally broke 4 hours and BQ'ed at NYCM. I never thought I'd run like that again (and I wasn't running marathons at that pace in '15), but I ran the same ultra pace in '15 that I ran in '09 and I was so happy.:happy: Then I ran that same 60K in '16 and sucked.:roll:  Consistence was never my middle name.
Parent - - By coleman Date 2018-11-30 9:49 PM
Nice that your daughter is helping out :hug:

As we get older there's always aches and pains, sounds like your tougher than those...

Hope things are well for you
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 10:36 AM
Hi Coleman!

Yeah, the aches and pains are par for the course these days.:laugh:
- - By coleman Date 2018-11-30 9:29 PM Edited 2018-11-30 9:32 PM
Didn't do much exercise today, but did get in my standard 2 to 3 mile lunch time walk, and will do some push ups, dips, sit ups and curls as is usual nighttime protocol (post China meetings tonight) I could jump on the TM out in the garage, but not a fan of it.   (I really hate daylight savings time, the sun should stay out until at least 8 IMO)
Hoping the rain holds off so tomorrow I can go for a hike/run somewhere.

Interesting question, I'm not much of a racer, so had to look back in time...

I thought for sure I'd dominate my 3rd marathon in Long Beach (to best my 1st marathon time), I was actually shooting for BQ :roll: , was in the best shape of my life, apparently I wasn't ready for that pace over the distance, crash and burned very hard.

Of course there was my 2nd attempt at the LA marathon (9th overall) figured I'd cruise in with any easy PR : pbbt: I think I blew out my PF and the calfs were done, pulled it home, but major disappointment. Even worse, turned out my legs, calves and feet were in such pain, I was done running for quite sometime.  Looking back on it I knew I shouldn't even have run it, I had just come off 3 marathons the previous 3 months and had never really recovered from those.
That feels like a lifetime ago...

It's been almost 11 years since running a marathon, my 10th never happened, but you never know what the future holds, just won't be one that I have already run, seems I'm not very good at 2nd attempts :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-12-01 10:38 AM
11 years!:shocker!: Doesn't seem that long ago that you, Jon and I were drinking Yeungling in the back of your truck after R&R AZ!:laugh:

You're back here, that's a good sign for a future marathon, right?:grin:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tough Act to Follow FRIDAY