Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Walking a half-marathon: Would it be worth it?
- - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-26 1:25 PM
So I gave up regular running about 8 years ago after developing back and knee problems. I still manage several short races a year without training for them. Unless you count basketball as training for running, which you shouldn't. The last time I ran a half-marathon was 2010. I love our local half-marathon course and pine to be back in that race. The event is coming up this coming Sunday.

Today I learned that, for the first time, they are allowing people to register as walkers, who will start an hour before the runners. I know that I could easily walk 13.1, but I have never race-walked in my life. The question is, would it be worth it to do this half-marathon as a walker? :blush:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:55 PM
Depends what you want out of it.  I'm currently working on a goal of completing a half-marathon in every Canadian province, and I've walked the last two I've done.  Somehow I just can't get my running form back these days, at least, not for the length of a HM, so walking works better for me.  Advantages: walking is easier to train for, at least for me, and you still get the race-day buzz and the motivation of a training goal to get your butt out there.  Disadvantages: usually the pack is thinner and can feel a bit lonely if the race is small.

If you love the course and want the experience of being part of the race, I say go for it!  :happy:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:45 PM
Thanks for the insights. I just might do this. Good luck on your goal of a half in every province!
Parent - By Annie Date 2018-11-29 7:35 AM
That's an awesome goal :cool:  Have you done Ontario yet?
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-11-26 5:22 PM
Go for it! I just looked up half marathons in your area this weekend. If I were there I'd want to do that one. Have fun. :hug:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:43 PM
Thanks, ft! :hug:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-11-26 9:12 PM
Walking or running, we still want a report when you're done. :cool:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-26 10:14 PM
Absolutely.

You love the course, you want to be in the race. The race is allowing walkers and giving people who are walking the course extra time. Sounds to me like the race is meeting your requirements for an event very nicely.

One caveat -- please do the math and figure out at what point the runners are likely to be coming up behind you, keep an ear open, and move to the side when the lead runners come through. Races where the walkers start first tend to have the front runners impeded by people walking six or eight across the course (I'm looking at you, Nike Women's Marathon!) and it's annoying to be a runner uttering "On your left, please....on your LEFT...ON YER LEFT...move your f$#%#ing arse!"

Have fun.
Parent - - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-27 8:24 AM
Great advice, and I will do the requisite math. Walkers get a one-hour head start, and the last several years the top runners were finishing between 1:10 and 1:16. But I need to figure out how fast I can race-walk, as I have never done that before. I'll try to get out and do 5-6 miles today to see. And then figure out if I can keep that pace for 13.1. And then I will decide whether or not I really want to do this! :laugh:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-27 10:35 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "race-walking," but if you're referring to the true race-walking gait, then I would say I've never really seen anyone do that as a walker in the races I've participated in - we just walk briskly.
Parent - - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-27 4:35 PM
Oh, if I do this thing it will not be with the stylized Olympic gait. The race is this Sunday, so I don't have time to learn that style. I would just be walking as fast as I can. I read an article that said with good posture, proper arm swinging, and short strides, you can walk nearly as fast as someone using the Olympic gait.

So, I gave fast-walking a try this afternoon. I was really hoping to do 6.55 miles so I could double the result for an estimate on the half-marathon. But I had a headache and it was 29 degrees (18 with the wind chill), so I did 3.28 miles instead. As fast as I could, trying really hard to make sure one foot was on the ground at all times. The time was 39:42 for an average speed of 5.0 mph (5.5 mph max). It felt like I was almost running in terms of effort, so I'm not really sure I could keep up that pace for 13.11 miles. If I did I would be outdoors for two hours and 38 minutes. A lot longer than when I ran the race 10 years ago in under two hours. It's supposed to rain on race day, but it will be warmer, in the 40s or even 50s.

Decisions, decisions. :roll:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-27 4:56 PM
A lot of walkers finish HMs somewhere between 3 and 4 hours.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-27 5:45 PM
I've seen people do it in races that have a racewalking division, but not usually otherwise. Usually it's people walking briskly, as skigirl says, but not with that stylized gait that you see in formal racewalking competitions.
Parent - - By mutiger [us] Date 2018-11-30 6:05 PM
when I was running marathons ~4 hours, there was a walker on my running trail in austin who used to kick my butt...I then got to talking to him and used him as a pacer :blush:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-12-01 2:56 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-11-27 10:46 AM Edited 2018-11-27 10:51 AM
I would register as a walker and run it anyways in 2 hours and change and get that sweet gold :mischief::blush:

If you really are only walking I would say yes if the earnings go to a good cause, like making america great again by blowing up trade treaties with the world and and high import taxes on raw materials; 'causing the inverse effect.

Disaster Relief and local social causes also qualify :hug:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-27 4:46 PM
Don't think that didn't cross my mind. Who is going to know on the back stretch? They don't have judges along the course. :evil:

Me being the good boy that I am, I double-checked with the race organizers about the legality of mixing in some running with the walking. They said absolutely not, since there are prizes for the top finishers in each age group. They told me if I want to mix running and walking to run with the runners. :laugh:

It's not clear whether proceeds go to any good cause at all. :wtf:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-27 4:56 PM
Check that. Information on the registration website says that proceeds are donated to Centre Volunteers in Medicine. Definitely a good local cause.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-27 10:51 AM
I walked the full in Chicago back in '99 - I think. totally doable. we started 2 hours before the actual race, in the dark w/ 0 support. They've come a long way since then :laugh:
coolest part is going to be seeing the really fast people go by - and hardest part will be not running a little when the big crowds go through because you just get caught up in the atmosphere. enjoy! :cool:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-27 4:52 PM
Cool that you walked a full marathon! :cool: Yes, that could be really interesting, holding back running when the runners go blasting by. Even on my short practice fast-walk today, I really wanted to break into a run many times. :laugh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-11-27 10:54 AM
I'd like to add that if you are really a fast walker, your time may not be that bad. I once walked that amount in 3 hrs and change so you may really come in with the running pack if you start 1 hr early.
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-27 12:58 PM
It's easier to drink beer while you're walking than when you're running - so there's that.
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-27 3:56 PM
The last water stop right before mile 12 actually does offer beer. Yet another incentive to do this.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-30 1:39 PM
Absolutely!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-26 5:10 PM
No!  :laugh:

Just kidding.....of course you should walk it.  People need to get out and exercise and if it would injure or hurt you to run then walking is a great idea  :hug:
Parent - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:44 PM
:laugh: Yep, it is sounding more and more like a great idea.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Walking a half-marathon: Would it be worth it?