Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday's thread
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-26 11:27 AM
Tell us how you're doing today and how you're burning calories --
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-26 11:59 AM
I didn't plan on running today, but my left hamstring/glute/hip is still pretty tight, so I jogged for 4 miles on the treadmill, did some pull-ups, push-ups, and core, and stretched real good-like.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 2:14 PM
I didn't plan on running today, but my left hamstring/glute/hip is still pretty tight, so I jogged for 4 miles on the treadmill...

Words of a runner! :laugh:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 2:17 PM
Good day of non-running! :cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:19 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:35 PM
Lol! I had to re-read that several times. Let me guess, 4 miles was "just a warm-up" for your lifting?
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 12:02 PM
I did 2 hours of ballet yesterday and my back is killing me so I took the day off from running today.  I got myself a present over the holiday - a new Garmin Forerunner 35 so I am looking forward to busting it out for a run tomorrow.  (My very very old running watch died a couple of months ago and since then I have been running watchless :shocker!:)

In other news, our house's water heater broke so we have had no hot water since Thursday.  :shocker!:  We all took showers at my neighbor's house on Saturday, but that's about it and who knows when we we will get the replacement heater from the manufacturer.   :cry:  Oh well.  Being clean is for losers.  :cool:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:08 PM
No hot water!  Argh!  You have the right attitude, though.  :laugh:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 2:17 PM
:cool::hug:  be thankful there is no smell-o-vision yet.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 2:15 PM
Watchless running is the best though... the pace is never slow!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 2:18 PM
I really enjoyed it.  :cool::cool:

Now I can return to being regularly disappointed at myself for not running fast enough or far enough.  :cry:: pbbt:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:21 PM
I have a 35 and LOVE IT!!!  All I need to know is how far I ran, my pace, and accumulated time.....and that is what it gives me.  I love that it is a pedometer and wear it all day, every day.  I also have it synced to my phone so I can read texts without grabbing my phone......handy at work when I am trying to look like I am paying attention.:laugh:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 3:45 PM
it's a pedometer. :shocker!:  who knew?  reads texts?  I haven't had a chance to figure out what it can do or not do so this is very handy, thanks!

As you might tell, I am the most untechy "gadget girl" ever to walk the planet.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:36 PM
No hot water? The horror! (NOT sarcasm!) Gosh, I hope it gets fixed sooner vs later. Hot showers are the best in the winter
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 3:46 PM
cold showers are sort of refreshing on a semi-brisk winter's day.  :sad:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:23 PM
Congrats on the new gadget!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 3:48 PM
thanks! :cool:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 2:13 PM
Grey, gloomy, and rainy here... again. We are heading for record yearly rainfall in this area. Over 63" so far, with only a few more inches needed to set the record.

Despite the rain, I headed up to the local trail today for a lunchtime run. Usual 6 mile route, and despite rain, slippery leaves, I managed what passes for a tempo run for me these days. Just missed breaking my fastest time for this route today by one second. I guess I have a new benchmark here now. My running is just strange these days. Yesterday all I could do was putz around and groan internally to myself about aching knees, and today I'm running tempo and feeling pretty good.
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 2:19 PM
63 inches of rain :cry::cry:  I would have a hard time with that, although a few inches here and there might be good here in So Cal.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 8:20 PM
Sort of crazy the rain here this year (southeast PA). About 2 feet above normal yearly precipitation now and we have not had any hurricane or tropical storm impact.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:22 PM
I managed what passes for a tempo run for me these days

I don't even pretend to do tempo runs, so good for you!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 8:21 PM
Ha, yes pacewise it was sort of pretend tempo. :laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:37 PM
Same here re: rain fall. But omg? Almost a CR? Awesome!!!:cool::cool:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 8:24 PM
Yeah, run felt pretty good but as to CR this is somewhat of a new route this year. Still it's been about a minute per mile improvement since I started slogging this route after knee surgery in 2017
Parent - By IB Date 2018-11-26 11:32 PM
AM = gym - core / legs / hips

PM = 4.3 miles / 4¢ / 57º & dark at 2000 / New Balance 890v5 Green #1
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-26 11:51 AM
Where is everybody?  It's like you all had to go back to work or something. :meh::wtf:   Is your energy as low as mine?  Mine is pretty stinkin' low :roll:

I'm making today a USDO.  My LR on Saturday had good distance, but an unimpressive pace, and no joy.  Yesterday, I got myself out for a recovery run and was even slower :shocker!: and even more :meh: about it.  Hopefully a day off will help.  Maybe the gray here has finally gotten to me.  I knew it was inevitable, but was hoping I could make it to January before it hit :wtf:  I'm entered in a half marathon this weekend but my longest run has been 12 miles, and it's a hilly-ass course, so expectations are low.  Rain is also forecast.  Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy and I should enjoy the parade.  (a little dark humor there)

I'm pretty upset by the news, too.  

Hope your Monday is not as blue as mine!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 12:47 PM
the news is just really hard, I wish I could be like the people who ignore it sometimes.

Sorry the weather is getting to you, that would be hard for me as well
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:08 PM
Good call to take a day off - sometimes that's exactly what you need.  You guys have a lot going on and that can take a toll on the body.  :hug:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 1:35 PM
Sorry you're feeling low energy. :cry:

Where's the half?
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:28 PM
It's a very local race, so no investment in travel - starting line is maybe 3 miles from our house.  Sponsored by a church.  Looks like this is their ninth year.  Those are the positives.  Negatives - my biggest concern is that the course is not closed to traffic.  The roads are steep and twisty in some places, and I worry about back country traffic.  Training wasn't any worse than I expected, and when I first signed up, I told myself I could beg down to the 10K if it's really bad.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:09 PM
the secret to dealing with teh cold gray is to plan a trip somewhere sunny in February!  :cool:

I do think it helps to be a runner and be able to run outside all winter long. At this time of year, i just look forward to different things that are inside. It did take some adjustment for sure.  :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:25 PM
I used to work with a guy who would say.....but other that than Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?:laugh:

Yes, the news is :cry::cry::cry::cry: But the Mars Rover landed about a half hour ago......something which has failed about 60% of the time.....so we have exciting SCIENCE news today!!!:happy::happy::happy::happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:38 PM
Hopefully the day off will do the trick :hug:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:22 PM
Yay, a race! :cool:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 11:53 AM
I ended up working a big chunk of yesterday, trying to get myself to a point where today would be more manageable. Largely succeeded with that goal (fortunately? unfortunately?), then got hit with some complete shit news mid-morning. :meh:

It was really nice to have the four-day weekend: Thu 10 mi (with an embedded 5K, third in AG and 18th OA with a not-really-awesome time but whatever because small races rock!:laugh:), Fri 11 mi, Sat 15.25 mi, Sun 10 mi, and today 8.25 mi. Not really much shopping on Black Friday, but I did some stuff around the house, did some baking, and watched some skating online.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-26 11:58 AM
Nice that the 5K went well!  Those small races need your support. 

The shit news - :sad: :meh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 12:48 PM
the shit news. I am very sorry
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:09 PM
That's a lot of mileage in a short time!  :shocker!:  Nice work on the AG placing.  :cool:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:06 PM
:meh: sorry about the shit news. 

small, short races do rock!

in happy baking news, DH has been thinking of taking a class through the king arthur flour company. have you ever done one?
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 2:46 PM
I love their classes. They keep the class sizes small, and the sessions are hands-on, so you actually get to make what you're learning about. Highly recommended!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 2:19 PM
Nice running, and the race too!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:26 PM
Shit news is not good.....sorry.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:40 PM
Congrats on the 5K! Gotta love small races. :cool: and thats some big mileage! :shocker!:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:21 PM
I can't wait until I can run that kind of mileage again.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-26 12:05 PM
I taught 6am spin class & also the 9:30am class as the regular instructor had to go to a funeral.  A couple of the 6am regulars/semi-regulars were missing today, leaving me with 9 riders.  The 9:30am class, with the regular instructor, usually draws well and I had 22!

I did my usual core, hip & shoulder exercises after the first class & after I cleaned up I opened the room early and put up some Christmas decorations.

I am exhausted and want to eat.all.the.food!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 12:49 PM
wow, I'm wondering who goes to a 9:30 am class. That seems like a time that would be hard for people to get to.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:12 PM
People who do shift work?  Or who work from home/coffee shops with a flexible schedule?  My old Pilates studio used to run classes at 10:00 on Tuesdays/Thursdays and that was their most popular time slot, which I always found surprising - but there's enough people with flexible schedules for whatever reason, who can afford expensive exercise classes, that they could make it work.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:28 PM
yeah, it's funny. I have a reasonably flexible work situation (compared to others) since I have worked from home for 6 years now, but I still find 9:30 a tough time.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:28 PM
The 9:00 am boxing class during the week at my gym is always packed. (He posts videos online.)  A lot of the guys work from home and have told me they purposely take calls earlier and later to make that class.  There are also SAHMs who just dropped the kids off.  I wish I could go to that class.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:44 PM
SAHMs, people who don't work 9-5 schedules, retirees, people who don't work {insert reason here}.  I'm sure there were some of each of these in the class and other categories I don't know about.  As people were leaving the room, two women asked me when my regular classes are.  When asked that question, I need to learn to lead with "Thursday 6pm", rather than "Mon & Wed 6am" :roll:  From their reaction, I'll never see either of them in 6am class :laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:29 PM
22!  Do you have to yell louder?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:46 PM
I'm mic'ed up so no...but it's likely I'm at a higher decibel level anyway :roll:  There is so.much.more.energy in a class with 22 of 24 bikes filled!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:20 PM
When it turns cold, I begin eating everything in sight. :meh:
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-26 12:05 PM
Still resting my knee. I'm studying and waiting for news about InSight's landing.  Less than 2 hours now. :hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:12 PM
:cool::cool::cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:30 PM
I forgot to set my alarm to watch the landing and missed it.  Super exciting!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:41 PM
:cool::cool::cool:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 12:46 PM
how am I doing? Tired. Bummed that I don't know what my next vacation will be!

Had a great time with my family in London! N did well--we walked between 5 and 8 miles a day with sightseeing, etc, and she held up really well with it. It was cold and rainy, so not great sightseeing weather some of the days but we still had a good time. I've spent enough time there that I didn't do anything that was totally new to me, but it was fun to do everything with N. She was super excited to see Big Ben, but her big highlight was that she made a guard smile.

Now I'm home and just blah. I am really annoyed by some things about how the new job is run, and I am worried that some critical people in the company are burning out.

Tonight I hope to just sit online and buy a bunch of gifts to get a jump on some of the holiday shopping.

Run was 6 miles. Just tired, and felt off.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:13 PM
Family travel is so much fun.  I took my DD to London and Paris when she was nine years old and it was a hoot - totally different than travelling with another adult would have been, in terms of what she noticed and what we experienced. So glad we did that.  She's 17 now and we still talk about that trip.  :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:29 PM
I think my daughter will remember a lot of this trip, which makes me happy. It is also good to have a kid who is a good travel buddy. She does well on planes, in new places, etc.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 1:28 PM
What an amazing trip! Totally understandable to be home and blah after an adventure.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:29 PM
yeah. I just feel done.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:04 PM
obviously you need to start thinking of the next vacation!  :grin: I always feel that way too after a big trip and jet lag doesn't help.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:30 PM
I have only 3 hours of vacation time accrued, so it will be a while before we can go away again. :meh:
Parent - - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-26 7:03 PM
What about Christmas break?
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-27 5:24 AM
I do not get a christmas break. I get Christmas Day and NY day.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:32 PM
I hope the new job thing works out.  It is that time of year when everyone is just burned out, so hopefully that is it??
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:36 PM
the people who actually deliver are being put through unrealistic expectations, and their manager does not really protect them. It is a bad combination.

and I am just annoyed that I feel micromanaged on stuff like time off. I'm too old for that shit.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:47 PM
Nothing is worse than being micromanaged....especially on time off. That totally sucks!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-27 8:37 AM
I'm currently being micromanaged by two freelance employees. #winning
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:43 PM
I'm so glad y'all had a great time. Something I enjoyed with mine was letting them take pics of/print out/and now make digital photo books of the trip. I always found it so interesting what they chose to remember vs me
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:49 PM
that is a terrific idea!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:16 PM
N is old enough now to have more endurance than her parents. : pbbt: :laugh:
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 12:48 PM
I shoveled snow and ice followed by a 4 mile run on the TM. I drove to the Rec center to run on the indoor track only to discover they were opening late due to the storm. Ya know they have this thing called the internet and you can use it to find out about stuff, but ya have to remember to use it. :roll:

Saturday and Sunday weather were both amazing. Saturday, it got up to 63, sunny and zero wind. :cool: I ran 10 miles and then caught three fish. :happy:  Sunday we had a blizzard; rain, then freezing rain, then 5+ inches of snow with 50 mph wind gusts. :shocker!: I ran on the TM yesterday too. :roll:

So, my calf is pretty much cured, just in time for the single-digit weather... :meh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:14 PM
:shocker!:  That's a crazy span of weather in a couple of days!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 1:27 PM
I was reading about the storm you guys have had. Yikes. :shocker!:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:03 PM
nothing like Kansas weather.  :roll: :cry:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:30 PM
yeah, that storm looked pretty crazy.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:33 PM
On CBS This Morning, they were talking about how KS was hammered and I thought of you.:hug:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:14 PM
There were times yesterday that I could not see the house across the street. :shocker!:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:44 PM
Crazy weather! :shocker!: we would be closed for a week with that :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:35 PM
That weather sounds like the way Buffalo was when I grew up there. Now, Buffalo rarely gets a blizzard and everywhere else gets the crazy!:wtf:

Now that your calf is good, don't throw your back out shoveling all that crap!
- - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 12:49 PM
Burning calories - well, I hit the gym this morning before work.  Usually I take Monday as a rest day but I did nothing, other than yoga, yesterday - I felt really tired all day and wound up going to bed at 7:30.  :shocker!:  So I figured yesterday was my rest day and I would make up for it by working out today.  Did 30 mins on the TM, plus w/u and c/d, and was pleased - my ankle's been bugging me a bit lately but it seemed perfectly happy with the running.  Then I did 15 mins of hill stuff on one of the exercise bikes and zipped off to work.  Nice way to start the day - I love the showers at my gym so a morning workout always has that added bonus.  :happy:

Oh, and, I signed up for a half-marathon!  It's not till June, but it feels good to have a plan - it will give me my eighth province (I'm working on a goal of completing a half-marathon in every province), and the timing is good because I will need to begin my HM training right around the end of xc ski season, so one will flow nicely into the other: ski training and running complement each other well.  :happy:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 1:27 PM
One day last week, I was falling asleep at the table at 8 pm, so I just turned in. The fam wondered if I was coming down with something, but it seems to have been just plain old tired.

Yay for a goal race! :cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 2:19 PM
Skigirl should know that my son and I just booked a ski trip to Utah for Feb. :cool:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:31 PM
nice plan! It is good to have a goal :happy:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:34 PM
I love the showers at my gym

I have never heard anyone say that before!!!:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:45 PM
Sounds like you had a good morning, especially for Monday! :happy: where's the half?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:57 PM Edited 2018-11-26 7:01 PM
I love the showers at my gym...I heard about this from my boss last week but official notice went to all the gym staff today, we've had a known issue in the showers area in both the men's & women's locker rooms for a while now.  Leaks, damaged tiles, water getting behind the tiles into the walls, etc.  So, they will have the shower areas (8 or 10 individual showers, 3 tiled walls with a curtain) completely demolished & rebuilt (the building is just about to have been open for 6 years :roll:  Locker rooms will stay open but the showers will be unavailable from the beginning of January until the beginning of June!  1/2 to 2/3 of the women who come to my classes arrive wearing jackets/coats and likely never set foot in the locker rooms.  However, lots of other folks do.  It's gotta be done but I'd think the timeframe is excessive...although way above my pay grade & not something I'd want to be involved in.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-11-26 1:00 PM
Stupid lower back:mutmad:. I strained it shoveling heavy snow about a week ago. I thought it was all better but it keeps flaring up. Time to get to the chiropractor.

Tried to run this morning but it was too ouchy. Bagged some leaves instead.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:14 PM
:sad:  Sorry to hear.  Shovelling heavy snow is intense work.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:02 PM
ugh. I hope you get some relief. i tweaked mine last week but it has settled down. i always expect it to flare up again once it's happened as I never know what triggers it as it's certainly not snow shoveling (:grin: <--no snow here! )
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:35 PM
Uh.....don't you have two kids at home who can shovel that snow?  Do I need to come over and give you Mean Mom lessons???
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 3:49 PM
can you swing by my house first?  We don't have snow but when I ask the darling angels to help fold laundry, they look very sad and confused.  :sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:46 PM
Oh no! :cry: and then bagging leaves? I hope that didn't aggravate it more. Take care of yourself!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:11 PM
Back issues are the worst. :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:37 PM
That snow just before the Philly marathon was killer, wet and heavy. "Heart attack snow.":meh: Be careful out there!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 1:03 PM
I should be working.  I’m trying to work, but motivation is very very low here.  Nobody else seems to care.  My boss hasn’t really said anything to me in almost 2 weeks, and not because either of us have had time off…

Good – I was able to get my runs in between rain showers for the most part.  Some very light misting, but that was it.  I felt really good on the uphills! (The rest wouldn’t fall under the good category.)  I had a lot of enthusiasm starting P90X – chest and back!  I’ve wanted to try this program for years, but wasn’t going to cough up the $$$.  It’s part of my subscription now, so I’m trying to follow the schedule for the most part.  I’ll have to drop one of the videos for my longish run, but we will see how it goes…

Notsogood – Reality check 101.  The best way to get good at pull-ups is to do pull-ups.  I’ve done basically none the last few months, and it showed big time.  Ugh!  I was very disappointed.  But, it’s day 1.  That means I have lots of room to improve, right?  And my push-ups weren’t that weak, but I still want to improve those a bunch, especially those blasted diamond ones.

And I was running low on time, so I subbed a 5 min core video instead of Ab Ripper X.  But then I did Ab Ripper X during lunch instead of my nap! I’m not sure if that should be a :cool: or :cry:

Funny/but not funny - DH’s dingbat principal is at it again.  Sent out an email in all caps – DO NOT READ PREVIOUS EMAIL.  What’s one to do?  Read it, of course! :laugh:  But OMG – it was a very thorough bad HR type file/review for one of the teachers – all observations, reprimands, improvement plans, etc.  How in the world can someone make that mistake and send it out to the whole school?  And there’s a staff meeting after school today. LOL…
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:15 PM
:shocker!::cry::hug:  Oooh, that principal must be so embarrassed. 

That's not good about your boss not speaking to you.  :sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:50 PM
Eh, it's normal. He's so different from old boss. I went from #2 in the office and knowing everything that went on, to being out of the loop on everything. I gave the new workflow 18 months before deciding I hated it.  But yet, all 3 of my yearly reviews were actually a higher score than before. At my 3 year review I REALLY let my feelings be known, and he was all surprised. He's tried some to do better, but that's not who he is.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 1:25 PM
Isn't there some sort of rule about reading and rereading an email before you hit the send button? (Or shouldn't there be, anyway?)
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:50 PM
Seriously!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 2:21 PM
re dingbat principal: :shocker!::cry::shocker!:
that is totally out of control.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:33 PM
that is so bad about the principal, also, the all caps retraction just calls attention to it. What an idiot!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:37 PM
I have been working at it for years and still can not do a SINGLE pull-up!  I too, hate diamond push-ups and can only do about three before I weep.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:51 PM
I want a bigger chest - then I wouldn't have to go down as far. Perhaps I should wear some dolly Parton costume???
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:10 PM
Okay that's the worst email screw up I've ever heard. :laugh: :laugh:

I have been thinking about getting a pull up bar. But, so far it has just been thinking. :laugh:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:31 PM
:laugh::laugh: DO NOT READ THAT EMAIL is telling everyone not to look at the pink elephant in the room.

What subscription do you have that includes P90X?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 8:10 PM
Beachbody.com - a very dear friend/former forumite invited me to join her group when I was sitting bemoaning my fate waiting for an MRI prescription. At the time, the group was dedicating each day to remembering a victim from Las Vegas. It helped a lot to get the focus off myself and think of others. But anyway, it's $100/year and you get access to all kinds of programs. I don't do the Shakeology or anything like that, as I am content with my own way of eating. I've been lifting for over 30 years, but this was the first time I've ever anything like this. I've found that I enjoy it a lot - someone else telling me what to do is much easier. And some of the stuff seems so impossible, but watching others do it motivates me to try harder
- - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2018-11-26 1:11 PM
My usual for a Monday. 50 minutes of yoga before breakfast. 2.3 mile bike ride to the gym for an hour of basketball. Due to lack of participants, the first two full-court game were 4x4, and the remainder were 3x3. That makes for a lot more running than usual, but I felt good. Probably from eating all that turkey after several years of a nearly-vegetarian diet. :grin: Then, of course, returning home with a 2.3 mile bike ride.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-26 1:15 PM
Sounds like a great day!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 1:52 PM
what prompted the change?! :laugh:

that does sound like a lot of running! have you ever worn a gps watch during a game? :mischief:: pbbt: (I'd be really curious...:blush:)
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:37 PM
Nice workouts!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:52 PM
That's a well rounded workout regimen! :cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:07 PM
Morning hoops!  :cool:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-26 1:22 PM
4 miles at noon.

My knee was hurting last Wednesday so I took the rest of the week off to see if that would help. Met my running partner and we did our flat-ish route through town. I was feeling it on the slight uphill to the building where we stop for water and then got a very sudden twinge at mile 4 which is near where we start so I called it a day. I have an appointment to get it looked at next week and have called another friend to see if he can get me in any sooner. The sudden twinges concern me more than the slight discomfort.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 1:36 PM
Sorry about your knee. :cry:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 1:50 PM
uh oh. glad you are getting it looked at.  :meh::cry::hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:34 PM
I hope the knee is ok!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:39 PM
Ugh on the knee.:cry::cry: I hope it is not a THING.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:47 PM
It’s enough of a thing that I already know that the course limit in Little Rock is 8 hours. :sad:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 4:34 PM
:shocker!: :cry:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:20 PM
Noooooo!! 

Hope it clears up soon :meh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:53 PM
I hope it's just a tendonitis type of thing. Whereabouts in the knee?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:46 PM
I’d like to hope that it is just tendinitis but this time I’m not so sure.

Pain is where Runner’s Knee would present and the pain running uphill matches that but I had a good dose of Ibuprofen this morning before the run and that didn’t do anything.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 4:48 PM
FWIW ibuprofen only rarely helps with anything in me.  And it could be that something is pulling on it funny even while walking/general movement, so the ibuprofen won't help when it's still being irritated. But on the bright side, it doesn't sound like anything truly awful at this point.  But better to figure it out and nip it in the bud.

And my past runners knee issues hurt worse going downhill and is a result of overstriding and leaning too far forward on the downhills.  But everyone is so different.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:06 PM
Sudden twinges are scary. :sad:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-26 1:28 PM
We exercised everyday during the Thanksgiving break. Swimming and biking mostly. Today back to my morning route - 3 miles. Some weights tomorrow.

At work the same old...likely I worked for few hours on Saturday, so it's not that painful to be back. Except the nagging customers...co-workers who don't really care...ugh...

I'm still waiting for the offer from San Francisco company, they are in the process of checking my references and I should hear back from them sometime this week. In the meantime I'm still looking.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 1:49 PM
fingers crossed!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-26 2:22 PM
wishing you luck!!!!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:38 PM
Good luck on the gig!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:53 PM
Good luck with the job! Fingers crossed
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 3:05 PM
Good luck!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:05 PM
Good luck on the job prospects.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 4:40 PM
Fingers crossed!
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:29 PM
Thanks!:happy:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 1:48 PM
ugh. monday is tough after 4 days off. We had a wonderful TG with (just enough) family time! :blush::laugh:

This morning i rowed for 10 minutes and then did a tabata style strength video with weights for 30 minutes. My arms and legs felt a little quivery afterwords. We had really nice weather the past couple of days so i was a little bummed to be inside for workouts still: 60 minutes pool running saturday / 90 minutes on trainer yesterday.

i'm feeling super grumpy still at work. it's super dark. The weather is gross today. Even being able to run a little bit will help at this time of year. I am REALLY looking forward to adding in a little running again this week. Doc said to wait a bit more for stress fracture in foot. one week (9 days actually) counts as enough, right?! (no really, i haven't noticed any twinges even lately...).
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:35 PM
I thought you were cleared to run for some reason. I hope you can get out there soon!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:55 PM
i had cleared myself to run. :blush::laugh: Then doc got a look on it on x-ray and said to wait a little bit longer. It's 8 weeks this week. I knew i was pushing it a bit early.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:40 PM
My condolences on the pool running. :cry:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 2:55 PM
i had a friend with me so the hour went quick!  :grin:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:33 PM
We have a lot of "walkers" in our pool. They usually are bringing friends or family to talk to :) there is one couple and she loves to talk...ugh. the husband doesn't say a word the whole time they are walking, I know a lot about her, not that I want to...
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:57 PM
I think grumpy is going around today :meh: I would think 9 days is enough. But FWIW when I came back, I took it very slowly. Built up walking for awhile and then started running 1 min intervals every 5-8 min... Probably was a couple of weeks before I did a mile all at once : pbbt:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 6:15 PM
oh yes, that's how i was starting back with just a minute or two of running with a lot of walking. Even 2 minutes of running made me super happy! :laugh:I walk normally at work though about 5 - 7 miles a day so i am very aware if i feel it. I wore a shoe boot for the first month or so to keep it immobilized.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-27 12:30 AM
:happy:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:04 PM
Be patient with the non-running stuff. Ya know though, it's just not the same...  :meh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-26 6:15 PM
crappy weather has made it a wee bit easier though. :grin::laugh::roll:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 3:04 PM
You'll be back out there soon enough! :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:39 PM
I'm glad your TG was nice!:hug:

60 minutes of pool running.:shocker!:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-26 2:44 PM
After almost two weeks of thinking I needed to stop running because I was running so poorly I was almost moving backwards, I had two nice runs this weekend (16 & 11).  They were slow, but not torturous, so that made me happy.  I did an easy 3 this morning as well as some hip & glute exercises and will go to boxing class tonight.  I have no idea how many calories my standing desk helps me burn a day, but after standing for three months straight, I suspect I am approaching (or have approached) the point of diminishing returns in that regard. 

Blather:  I wish I did not like pie as much as I do.:roll:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-26 2:59 PM
Why does dessert have to be bad for you? :cry:

I'm glad you had two not torturous runs! Lol. During bad periods, I tend to rate my run 0 out of 5 stars, etc. In the summer, a 2 is a good day!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 3:02 PM
For dinner last night I had ice cream pie. :roll: It wasn't my idea...
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-26 3:05 PM
Pie. :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:41 PM
Yay for a few nice runs, that really helps in the motivation department!
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-26 3:03 PM Edited 2018-11-26 3:17 PM
I think I will blow off the run. Raining again. I'll go work out and then do the stuff the PT showed me last week when I get home.

Trying to strengthen glutes so my hamstring isn't overworked. Running feels great with the shot but she cautioned me not to overdo things and let the shot take the inflammation down. I kinda already knew that but it's good to have "permission" to take it easy. Did 8 yesterday and 7 Saturday. Both runs felt good. I also registered for Beast of Burden 50 in mid Feb.:cool:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:18 PM
Yay for BoB! Hey, did you see this new race? Owego must be close to you, right? I'm thinking about it! For $40 (until January, I think), can't go too wrong.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-26 6:50 PM
Very close.. 20 min. away. You're welcome to stay with me :happy:

It will onlybe a couple weeks after Umstead for me but I can crew :cool:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-26 6:51 PM
Oh. Ended up doing 5. Break in the rain and it only picked up when I was finishing.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-26 8:25 PM
:happy:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 3:14 PM
I'm doing pretty well considering the craptacular weather right now! I did a 60 minute endurance spin class first thing this morning, walked some dogs, ran some errands, got home and sat in the car in the driveway for 20 minutes waiting for it to sop pouring- it didn't, so I sucked it up and carried in all the groceries. Made myself some awesome ramen and spinach soup, warmed up.:happy:

I'm also happy because my son has been using the spin bike this week! I hope he makes it a regular thing. He's in the middle of final projects and papers, always stressed out, so he wanted to burn off some stress. I never thought I'd be loving fighting over the bike:laugh:, but I do!

I had planned to run later tonight, but this rain is a killer. Will spin again instead.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 4:37 PM
I hope the rain stopped for your dog walk. I mean I wouldn't want the puppies to get wet. :wink:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 4:39 PM
Thanks.:roll::laugh:  Missed the rain for 3 out of 4 dog walks, and the last walk wasn't awful. The dogs don't spend so much time screwing around and sniffing stupid things when it's pouring!
- - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-26 3:22 PM
Pretty good weekend. Saturday it was 5 x 1600 repeats again with 1:00 rest and averaged 6:19 which is 2 seconds faster than 2 weeks ago. Baby steps but it all adds up. Yesterday was an easy 15 in the morning which I felt some fatigue from Saturday. Easy 4 or 5 recovery miles tonight then some weights.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-26 4:36 PM
Nice runnin'  :cool:
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-26 5:41 PM
Thanks. Trying to get back to the guy I used to be. Glad your calf has healed up.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-26 5:08 PM
We did our 9km with my buddy and one of his dogs.....in the pouring rain....then a long river walk....in the pouring rain....then split wood.....in the pouring rain.  Then napped in a warm house with newly washed sheets and a damp dog.  :hug:   Stir fry tonight
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-26 6:52 PM
Must have felt nice to get inside. Yum!Fresh sheets :happy:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Monday's thread