Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Swollen Sunday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 9:02 AM
Anyone else sporting the Buddha Belly this morning? : pbbt: do you usually eat pretty well throughout the holidays, or not worry about it and do a big reset January 1?

Post your workout, blather, and such...
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-25 11:47 AM
Oh girl. I finally feel better after this morning's run. I ran a lot but also didn't eat well. After my 8.3 mile run Wednesday, I ate a tiny breakfast (STUPID) and went to the 11:30 movie with my Mom, nieces, nephews, sil and kids. We were going to go eat after but the kids were full on popcorn and the kids went to my sil's house for a bit so my Mom and I ran to a store. We picked up Jimmy John's after but with some kid drama, I didn't end up eating until 3:30. I felt awful and hangry. So that was basically my dinner then the next day ate two Thanksgivings. Stick a fork in me and debloat. I couldn't even stomach dessert.

All that to say, my eating was NOT routine. I'm ready for that to be back to normal.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:44 PM
I love changing the routine once in awhile, but then I want the routine back. Grass is always greener:laugh:
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-25 12:47 PM
10.5 easy mile for me. About 45 degrees, overcast, and humid. Felt wonderful after being 10 degrees on Thanksgiving! My left hip felt a little wonky in the last mile so I will have to keep an eye on that. Does this mean I am officially old when every single run has something hurting or nagging me?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:46 PM
I dunno, but I totally understand. And then while I'm not (and you're definitely not) technically old, I think there's also an "old runner." I've got a lot of mileage on my legs. I suspect you do too
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:34 AM
Yes, what's that expression, "It's not the years, it's the mileage?" :laugh:  I've lost almost all the flexibility in my joints and muscles compared to when I first started running.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:11 AM
Actually, it means you are at the peak of your running.  That's not as positive as it sounds.  For me, it meant going full speed ahead, later nursing what turned into real injuries for a year and a half and resuming running with lowered expectations.  Listening to your body gets repeated often for a reason.
Parent - - By IB Date 2018-11-25 1:24 PM
4.1 miles

17¢ (4 coins)

Saucony Kinvara

53º & cloudy at 0930

-  --  -  --  -  --  -  --  -

I definitely tend to eat more around Thanksgiving than I normally would but my main problem is too much beer.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:30 PM
If you think the amount of beer you drink is a problem, then the solution can only be, drink more beer!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:46 PM
: laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:48 PM
Running negates beer. At least that's what I hear.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 9:08 AM
After two (planned) weeks of relaxed eating finishing with three days of all you can eat crap, I'm ready to climb back on the wagon. I have to loosen my watch two holes. And when my face swells this much, the black bags under my eyes look horrid, more like I belong back on Halloween.  Blech. It was worth it though.  My usual 6 days on, one day off works well through the holidays for the most part. We don't do parties, so that's easy.  But January 1 I do tend to tighten up even more than usual.

Instead of my usual Sunday off day, I went to the gym to try to get the body moving toward it's usual state. 45 min easy-moderate bike followed by 15 min of core.  I'm excited to start P90X tomorrow - probably with a few modifications.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 4:33 PM
Do you do the P90X at the gym?
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:48 PM
Yep. I couldn't work out at home consistently. Too many distractions and interruptions. But we have enough here that if the gym is closed for some reason, I CAN get it in here
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:47 PM
Saturday is my cheat day. I am pretty disciplined during the week knowing I've got one day to enjoy stuff.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-25 10:24 AM
I survived the eating fest holiday pretty well.  Same weight this morning as last Sunday. 

Did a 1600 meter swim this morning.  I've been pretty consistent with swimming this year and am 1/2 mile away from a annual distance PR. 

Covering the 9:30am spin class tomorrow for an instructor who needs to go to a funeral and on Tuesday for an instructor who is subbing an aqua class for someone.

It never fails, after a 3 hour session cleaning up leaves, last night's heavy rain once again blanketed the yard with more of them :cry:  I need to start taking before & after pictures to confirm it was actually clean for a few hours.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 4:32 PM

> am 1/2 mile away from a annual distance PR

:cool::cool::cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:48 PM
Lol - I hear ya on the leaves. So depressing!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:45 PM
I sometimes lament that my husband did not want any trees in our yard, but in fall I decide it's not the worst thing.

Good job on all that swimming.  You've got time to get to the PR it looks like.
- - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 11:05 AM
I haven't been weighing myself lately - my weight fluctuates so much day to day these days (more so than has been the case in the past few years) that it's frustrating and I don't feel like it tells me much about where I'm actually at.

The three of us - DH, DD, and me - went xc skiing yesterday.  The conditions were not great - the temperatures have been bouncing around the freezing mark and so the trails had become icy and rutted.  However, DD skied off with her training group and DH and I went off for our own ski excursion.  Wasn't long before I bailed out - I was struggling to get up the hills because of the ice and scared going down the hills, again because of the ice.  So we went off to a flat practice grid and just practiced technique drills back and forth for a while, which was very useful. 

I wound up coming back to the lodge because my left hand was really cold and wasn't warming up (DH kept skiing).  A few other people were in the lodge too, a few of them commenting on how cold it felt even though the temperature on the thermometer wasn't all that low.  All of a sudden DD came in, without the rest of her training group.  She said she had had to come back because her hands were so cold.  Then, all of a sudden, she got really faint and dizzy and I had to help her lie down on a bench.  I think that she had a blood sugar crash as a result of having gotten so cold.  I got her a chocolate bar from the vending machine and eventually she was able to sit up.  By that time DH was back so we sent DD off to the car to get the heat going and DH and I packed up all the gear and we drove back into town.

DD had her Grade 12 grad photos yesterday afternoon and she was allowed to bring "props" - she decided to bring our older dog, and asked me to come along to help with dog-wrangling.  It was a pretty funny scene in the school gym as many of the kids had brought dogs - including one SUPER-CUTE four-month-old border collie puppy - and one had brought in a cat, so there were lots of very excited animals and owners trying to keep order :laugh:.  I helped out with DD's photos that included the dog and then, when they moved on to the serious/formal/dog-free shots, moved off to a quieter space.  :happy:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-25 11:44 AM
Oh how fun! I would love to see that pic. I love that they brought their animals!! :hug::hug:

I'm the same way with weighing myself... (like a fluctuation of 5+ lbs day to day) but I can tell when my pants are snug. Oh yeah, I can. :cry::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 12:10 PM
I've never owned a scale in my adult life. I used to use the gym one, sometimes more regularly than others. But my Sundays would be 6-8 pounds heavier than my Saturdays. : pbbt: water weighs a lot. And now old gym closed and new gym got rid of theirs after a renovation so I don't have access to one at all anymore. I'm sort of glad my kids have grown up without a scale in the house.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 4:32 PM
The only downside is that DD couldn't wear the graduation gown in the photos with the dog, because they didn't want dog fur on the gowns, so it won't look like a "real" graduation photo.  But it will be a fun photo of the two of them - they have grown up together (DD was six when we brought the four-month-old puppy home from the Humane Society) and they have a special bond.  :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:28 PM
I am so jealous, would love for my kids to have been able to bring the dog to their photo session! Sounds like the pic will be great!

Scary about DD's blood pressure drop.:sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 3:23 PM
That is such a neat idea for the photos! All we get here is the standard drape for the ladies/fake tux for the guys. Scary about the weird cold effects!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:44 PM
I love animals. I always find my dogs upstage me in photos though because they are way cuter than I am.  : pbbt:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-25 11:50 AM
I too am back on the wagon!

6 miles this a.m. before the winds picked up. Thankful that is over.

Thanksgiving was great, although a lot of driving. We are all tired but vegging today so that is nice. My mother in law now wants to change Christmas to the 23rd. We're celebrating with mine on the 22nd and wanted to stay there a few days and then be here on the 24th.  To make it worse, my inlaws don't allow my dog to be there unless she's in her crate (or jail cell as my husband termed it)... going to cause more drama but we feel like we drove our asses off over Tgiving so we didn't have to go back. I secretly hope we don't. :sad: ... and then I start to feel guilty. Damn, catholic guilt.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 3:25 PM
And you just described why I don't care for holidays.  Well I :hug: the Xmas season and our morning just the 4 of us, but the visiting where nobody is happy because you didn't stay long enough or couldn't make it, etc...
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-25 3:42 PM
Tell her no. It is your and your kids' Christmas so do what it feel is best. been there, done that.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 4:30 PM
Ugh, that's a drag.  Stand firm!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-25 5:21 PM
Looks to me like you paid your dues and MIL is now trying to double-dip :meh:

My unsolicited advice: just say you can't and don't give any reasons.  I read that somewhere, like Miss Manners or someone like that.  If you give reasons, it opens the door for haggling.  If you just say you can't, well then, you can't.  Easy to say, not so easy to actually do, but : pbbt: stick with the plan !! :mutmad:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-25 8:06 PM
OMG - I just had a Guinness idea :laugh:  aren't your kids needed for some function at church on those dates?  Look hard and see if you can't find something !! :evil:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:39 PM
I think if you already have plans, you might just plan something for after "official" Christmas.  I have Christmas at my house for this reason. If you can make it great, if not, we can get together another time.  I tend to save my catholic guilt for really big stuff.  Demanding relatives do not fall into that category.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-26 8:32 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions and support :hug:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-25 12:10 PM
I eat the same all year round......another advantage of not hanging out too much with people

13km with Molly.....a misty cool morning, perfect for running.  A river swim (for Molly) at the end and she sleeps FINALLY at my feet :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 4:29 PM
That's a happy dog!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-25 6:33 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:53 PM
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-25 6:33 PM
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:30 PM
Who needs people when you have a great dog?:hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-25 6:34 PM
Yes!  (and hopefully dog"s" before too long) :hug:
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-25 12:54 PM
Swollen knee. :meh: Was working in the garden last week and obviously did something wrong. Getting better, wearing a brace. : pbbt:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:54 PM
Ugh. I have to be careful with mine now too. :meh: I'm glad the brace helps
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:29 PM
I hope your knee begins to heal.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:21 PM
Please, Buddha looks like Twiggy compared to me!:roll: I ran Philadelphia last Sunday, so I was destined to eat a lot this week, but throw Thanksgiving in there and yikes! But I'm feeling a lot better after 15 miles this morning. Was starving when I got home though, made scrambled eggs and a (real North Jersey) bagel- yes Rob, a whole one- Really need to get my greens in today. I'm probably the only person in the world who can gain 10lbs in a week while running or spinning every day.:roll: But honestly, why is food so good?!

It was a nice run though, broke in a new pair of Altra Torins (remember Small Business Saturday?).
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-25 4:29 PM

> But honestly, why is food so good?!

Seriously.  :cry:  There is a major design flaw in the interface between the yumminess of food and my body's metabolism.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:02 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 5:55 PM
If only pizza and Reese's cups were as good for you as veggies! It's a cruel, cruel world :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:02 AM
Indeed!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:27 PM
15 miles should help I would think.  For me 1/2 training is the sweet spot. Calories burned and appetite surpassed is the usual result when I do it correctly. I find full marathon training makes me ravenous and salt saturated because I crave salty stuff like crazy when training especially in summer.  :cry: 

Fruits and vegetables is usually my daily (real life) diet goal.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:03 AM
I wish I were motivated to train for half-marathons!:cry:
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-25 6:24 PM Edited 2018-11-25 6:30 PM
I had a very :meh: Thanksgiving day race so I'm rethinking the training. In a nutshell: I need to do more consistent training and stop signing up for every race I see. I haven't done any spadework in ages. I either run long or race on the weekends. and run short uninspired runs during the week. The lack of daylight hasn't helped. I also need to stop eating so much.  I am eating healthier. I just need to know when to stop! 

I did run today (about 5) before the snowstorm hit. 

December I will do well to hold steady, but I plan to pick a race and get on a training plan with a few buffer weeks thrown in come January.
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-11-25 8:27 PM
Yes, picking a race to focus on is probably a good idea. It sounds like you may have spread yourself too thin across too many races.
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-11-25 7:05 PM
I usually eat pretty reasonably during the holidays. We did a 2 p.m. meal at my parents' on Thursday. So I had a small breakfast before we left at 7:00 a.m. for the drive, a small snack when we got there at 11:00, a reasonable-sized meal at 2:00, and then a small amount of leftovers in the evening.

3 miles this afternoon. I tweaked my back shoveling snow a week ago, and haven't run much in the time since then. Back is mostly better. More leaves to rake now that the snow has melted:roll:.

Random: I'm putting in an offer on a house! It's local, about a mile and a half from where I currently live. The main reason for the move is a fresh start with my fiancee when she gets approved to move here - neutral territory instead of her moving into my house. The place is currently a 2-family, but we're planning on renovations to turn it into a 1-family. I'll hold onto my existing house and live here while the renovations are going on, then sell my existing house. Financially it will be a stretch while the renovations are ongoing, but then should be quite favorable once I've sold my existing house. I will have essentially "traded up" to a nicer house at a lower cost. Most important, I'll still be about a mile from the Boston Marathon course:laugh::laugh::laugh::cool:. The only difference is that I'll be closest to Mile 20 at the new location, compared with Mile 18.5 at the current location.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:09 AM
Great news on the house! A fresh start is a good idea, especially since she's making the big move to join you.

So you were in NJ for Thanksgiving? The Ashenfelter has gotten ridiculously huge, it's always crowded and never opens up. But this year my friends were at a corner after mile 4 with beer, champagne, and Fireball shots for the runners. I never liked Fireball before, but I had a shot there and it was magic! I raced up that hill- or I felt like I did.: pbbt:  I must remember that!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:00 AM
Thats very exciting about the new house! Good luck with all the changes.:cool:

Congratulations on not stuffing yourself on Thanksgiving!:laugh: I think breaking up the eating throughout the day so it doesn't all hinge on "the big meal" is the way to go.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-27 8:53 AM
oooh, fun about a new house. I hope you get it! :cool:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-25 7:30 PM
Met friends from Tahoe that were visiting family in Minnesota. We met in La Crosse and hiked 5ish miles in the bluffs of Hixon Forest - which is beautiful and closed to hunting. :cool:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-11-25 8:25 PM
Sounds beautiful. Glad you're not in season.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:03 AM
It's always fun when you can meet up with friends and do something you both enjoy.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-27 8:53 AM
did you wear orange just in case?
- - By coleman Date 2018-11-26 1:29 AM
Never have worried about the scale, or what I eat. I'm a lite eater who likes to nibble on variety, but had some good meals with my family...

Wife made me take down the Xmas stuff this morning, spent time in the rafters, and setting up stuff, while watching some football (my 2 years of fantasy football championships came to an end), so had a BBQ for the my parent in laws, then put in a 5 miler on the trail at sunset :cool:  It was a good day to finish of the holiday vacation time...
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-26 6:01 AM
Hi Coleman! Nice run.:hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-26 8:05 AM
I'm not much for scales either.

Glad your holiday was enjoyable and you got to run.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Swollen Sunday Dailies