Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Small Business Saturday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:57 AM
Post em. Running, non running, whatever.

Are you planning to support small businesses today? Do you support them in general?
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-24 8:23 PM
I try to support small businesses when I can -- especially when the alternative is a chain with less than spectacular reputation. (I'm looking at you, Wal-Mart.) Didn't shop today except ducking into a local liquor/convenience store, Bill's Place, for a refill of my water bottle, and yes I did give the clerk $1 for the use of their faucet.

But after 18.5 miles, longer than I have run in many months, I was not inclined to go shopping anywhere.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-11-24 8:50 PM
4 easy miles to loosen up the leggies, then took the kids to the Strong museum of play, which means that just as we are all getting over our last bout of Strong flu, we are going to get hit with another strain. Can't wait!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 7:02 AM
I was prepared for outside this morning. I had hat and gloves! No wind, but misting at 33*, I was glad I had them. Nice enough run. A tad longer than Thanksgiving, but nothing super long or special. Heading home today, but first will stop at the Smithsonian air and space at Dulles. So we will miss small business Saturday. We don't have that many to support at home. But I do try to buy one pair of running shoes a year from the LRS, and get my kids' shoes there.  And I got my vacuum from the small local guy, because he would repair my old one for like $20 a couple of times and kept it going for 25 years!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-24 1:35 PM
It's nice when you can find local people like that. There's a guy here that fixes appliances. He's very honest and will repair if he can or tell you it's best to buy new (and what to buy).
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:26 PM
Yep. Such peeps are wonderful. A few years ago he could have told me I needed new one, but it just needed a power cord $20 then year before last I was sure it was dead and told him the deal - no expensive repairs for such an old machine. $12 later he said it might hold up awhile longer. It still worked, but not as well, so after 6 months I got a new one from him.
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-24 11:52 AM
Damp and breezy 5.5 miles for me today.

Going to the UW/Minnesota football game with my dad this afternoon.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-24 1:36 PM
Nice :happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:26 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [ca] Date 2018-11-24 10:01 PM
Man, UW SUCKED this season. The whole season has been a disappointment but today’s loss was particularly embarrassing.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-25 6:19 AM
Oh how I can relate! We lost to *ODU* - never heard of them? Cuz they are a dinky school who got beat up even by their dinky school league teams! And our defense gave up something like 17 yards PER PLAY to Pitt, who's not even that good. Whoo boy...

So I'm sorry. "It's a rebuilding year," right?! And I'm glad I'm not Mrs. Bud Foster : pbbt:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-24 12:10 PM
13km with Molly beautiful morning :hug:

Are you planning to support small businesses today?   Is this a thing we are supposed to do today?  I did buy mushrooms and avacados at a small business this morning
Do you support them in general?   Yes....almost exclusively where I live because they're all small.....and when I'm in the real world I usually swing by WalMart or a big grocery store for dog food
and bathroom stuff just to stock up.  :hug:
:hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:28 PM
It's a newly made up holiday to increase consumer spending. : pbbt: black friday wasn't enough, so Cyber Monday was born. Then small business was created to counteract all the online/big box sales.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-24 6:48 PM
Hmmmm…..no big surprise there....thanks for the explanation:hug:
- - By SRoo Date 2018-11-24 1:03 PM
Lifted.  :happy:  I'm planning to do a little work and watch football on TV.  We are in the middle of an ice storm so I'm gonna stay home.
Good day to be home!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-24 3:15 PM
Is your team playing, or do you just want to watch football?   Good idea to stay at home today.  Hope the storm isn't too bad.
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-11-24 8:03 PM
I watched most of the OSU-Michigan game :happy: and the Penn State-Maryland game. :happy:

And now we are out of pie.  :sad:  Well, there is still some pumpkin pie, but my glorious cherry crumb pie (purchased from a small bakery in a tiny village 30 minutes away) is gone.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-24 8:24 PM
Yum, cherry crumb pie. Far superior to pumpkin. I can see why that is gone.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:28 PM
Good plan. Ice isn't fun, but football is :happy:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-25 5:22 PM
Ice is fun when you can skate on it...or when it is in a drink.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-24 1:38 PM
Did six this morning. Grey but warmer that the last couple of days. Now it is raining on the remaining snow. Kinda gross out. House smells good. Made apple bread for my neighbor's son who heads back to school tomorrow.

Lazy yesterday. Puzzle obsessed and then cleaned the house and did some laundry. Friday is usually a rest day anyway.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-24 2:21 PM
Ugh, hate that kind of weather.:meh: But it is a great excuse to cozy up indoors and bake!:hug:

I'm excited about the Beast!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-24 3:07 PM
Apple bread -- mmmmmm:happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:29 PM
I can smell it from here! All my days are messed up right now
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-11-24 8:04 PM
Is the apple bread a yeast-based thing or more of a quick bread?
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-26 2:52 PM
It's a pretty simple recipe. Flour, sugar, cinnamon, a little salt and baking powder, a couple of apples, a little vegetable oil.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-24 2:16 PM Edited 2018-11-24 2:19 PM
Had a bit of a double today. Ran 3 easy miles with an old friend I haven't seen in ages at the LRS's annual pancake breakfast run, then I did a 60 minute spin class later. This friend is an ovarian cancer survivor and does a lot of outreach work. She was a lot faster than me before she got sick, now she's jut starting to get her endurance back. She's doing a half at Rehobeth Beach next month. She's a powerhouse, so motivational. After the run I ate pancakes! Then I shopped at the store, bought some Smart Wool gloves for my daughter and a buff for my son, and a pair of Altra Torins for myself. But for once, the shoes were not an impulse buy! This week I've found myself oddly motivated by my pacing experience at Philly, and how my runner didn't train for the race. It's not that she didn't train "right," it's that she didn't train at all. And there was something about that that got me to wondering what I could do on some major training. So I signed up for the Beast of Burden 50 mile race on February 16. The 50 is the fun run there. The Beast community is pretty awesome, and I'm really excited that Cowboy Junkie is doing it. The last two years they've had a foot or more of fresh snow.:grin:

Generally, I'll support small local businesses if they offer something I need at a reasonable price. I hate shopping malls and big chain stores. But I do a lot of shopping online.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-24 3:05 PM
Sounds like an inspirational morning -- the business owner doing the pancakes, and the running friend getting back into running hard.  That's really cool

BTW, did DD make it home for Thanksgiving?  You haven't said much.  When my ornery kids came home, they spent the holidays out with their friends :mutmad: Little monsters.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:04 PM
It was!

Heh, sorry, been in a funk over the Philly pacing debacle, but I'm over it. On to the next thing! 50 mile Beast of Burden in February! Yes, Isabella navigated all the airports just fine, she came out of Newark looking like a different kid! Wearing leggings (she NEVER did before) and a Gap sweater, she looked like a real college kid!:laugh: Isabella only ever had one friend she socialized with in Glen Ridge. They had lunch the day after she got home, but otherwise she's been home. She helped me at Thanksgiving, made some amazing garlic mashed potatoes.:hug:  Harry went out the Saturday after TG, but most of his friends from college had travelled home for the holiday.

Did Renee come out to you this year?
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-24 3:32 PM
Oh sure. Blame me :laugh::laugh:! And they always have good swag :cool:

I like it because it gives me incentive to train through the winter and it's a great group of people :happy:

So glad you're coming :happy:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:07 PM
Well, I have to blame somebody!: pbbt: And the community there is awesome!

Philip said he'd crew for us, and your friend too if she wants. I know a crew isn't really necessary, but if you do want anything out along the course, he's pretty good at getting it there!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:34 PM
Good luck to your friend! And you - 50 miles... Impressive indeed
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:09 PM
Thanks!

This race was my first 50 in 2013, and my first 100 in 2014. It can be a great course if the weather cooperates- ha! And there's always a core group there who've been doing the race for years, and it's always good to see them!
Parent - - By SRoo Date 2018-11-24 8:08 PM
I was with you there for a while.   Pancakes...friend...buff...shoes...

But then you mentioned "50 mile race" and "fun run"  in the same sentence.  As if they somehow go together like pancakes and weekends and shoes and feet.  :wtf:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:10 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-25 10:17 AM
I'm hoping to run the Philly Marathon next year (once I heal this stupid broken metatarsal that is taking FOREVER to heal) and I promise I will train right!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-25 1:12 PM
You will get an earful from me if you don't!: pbbt:  Actually, I honestly don't care if people train or not, or how, but if you don't make some small effort, please ask someone else to pace you!:laugh:

Philly is a great course, and the two times I've run it, the weather's been pretty good!
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-25 4:37 PM
We have the inlaws there so free place to stay (they won't come watch too old for that) but they will watch G while I run. I know the course pretty well having lived there for a while and I also know the public transit so getting from the in laws to there and back is easy for me. Also its a later in the year run which means you might get one or two decent weather long runs here in FL before taper.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-24 2:48 PM
No workout but I had another session with the leaves in my yard & on the lawn.  In an attempt to save my back & other joints, I used the leaf blower to form a pile in the yard and another out front, then changed the attachments and vac'ed up the piles.  Using my blower as a vac mostly mulches the leaves so I don't need as many containers.  Today's work filled 3 large trash barrels (the ones we used to use tor trash before the township gave every home one compatible with the "grab & empty" arm on the trash trucks.

When I was still running I bought all my running shoes from the local running store.  I get all my bike maintenance done at the local bike store.  It's a large store that also has swim & ski stuff but it's a one & only, not a chain so maybe that counts.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-24 3:02 PM
We will need to keep the blower / vac idea in mind for next fall.  We don't have many leaves ourselves, but DS sure does, and we need to find the most efficient way to get them taken care of !!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-24 4:48 PM
The vac can be a bit tedious but saves a LOT of bending & stooping!!!!!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:36 PM
I don't miss my old house. I'd have several marathon sessions each season. Now, just a few 45 min ones! Our city sucks them up from the street, so no bagging required at least
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-24 2:51 PM
Got myself out the door for my LR.  Got in 12.25 miles and dang, it was cold the whole time.  It wasn't windy, it wasn't frosty, it was just :meh: slower than I would have liked and not all that much fun :wtf:  Dunno what the problem was. 

Shopping local: we don't have many local stores here. The one place we all patronize is the Senior Center's Thrift Store.  They have everything and sell it cheap.  It's more a community hub than a business enterprise. 

News flash:  my nephew (the Asperbergers guy) actually got two job offers as a result of his visit here :cool:  I'm about 95% happy about it, and maybe 5% worried about how big a role I'll be playing in his relocation from Colorado.  I'm thrilled for him and I think it's really, really good he'll have family (us!)  nearby; I'm just a little worried about being able to stir it into the mixture we're already working on.  He has to complete a background check and pass a drug screen and that sort of stuff, so I don't think the start date is next week, but I don't actually know.  It's a great problem to have.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:37 PM
That is so fantastic about your DN! :grin:

I seem to have plenty of runs like yours. Blech. But it's what makes the good ones great
Parent - By SRoo Date 2018-11-24 8:10 PM
:cool:  Good for the nephew.  I understand that 5%.  Hopefully it won't be too much.
- - By AgelessDave Date 2018-11-24 3:04 PM Edited 2018-11-24 3:07 PM
Hello all. It is getting late here (for me anyway 9:47). We have a 6 am flight tomorrow so I am trying to get a little sleep (or is it just a nap?) before we head to the airport at 4. My wife and I had a pretty full day today as we hit the castle, Prado, and the Reina Sophiamuseun ( to see Dali and Picasso stuff).  It was a good day but a little bit of art overload (in a good way). We ended at the reina, which was a high point as I am a big Picasso fan (love guernica).

Tomorrow is a pretty full day of travel so that will be a bit exhausting. I am really going to miss this place because there is so much more to see/do. But it was good to see how my daughter is doing and hopefully she can finish the semester well. Speaking of my daughter, she asked us this morning if we would be okay with here staying in Spain for spring semester. I was kind of surprised and have mixed feelings. There is the concern of her taking enough classes to keep her on a reasonable graduation track and a few other logistical issues. But, I also see it as a great opportunity. I told her we can talk it over more fully when she is on break.

ETA: I didn’t do any shopping today and, honestly I rarely do any shopping (other than the grocery stuff). In theory I think supporting small business is good, but cost is a factor too.
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-24 3:14 PM
Guernica !!  That is such a powerful painting.  I also found the sketches (and photographs, right? ) of the painting's composite parts to be moving and of course, heart-breaking. 

I had thought about warning you about the art overload, but what can you do with limited time and a (possibly) once in a lifetime opportunity?  I had to just stop a couple of times and go sit down. 

Tough call on the extended stay, but I absolutely understand.  The biggest expense is getting there, and once immersed, the learning comes so much faster.   :hug:
Parent - By AgelessDave Date 2018-11-24 3:24 PM
Exactly, and the cost is really just the airfare. I just want my daughter to understand that there are a few things to consider before she makes a decision. And, as much as I would like her to continue with her growth, there are other academic steps that are more difficult over here. 

I really enjoyed the whole Guernica exhibit and found it to be well done. I had a good talk with the cab driver on the way back to our hotel (well, as good as I could with my pigeon-Spanish anyway) about our day.

I know what you mean about sitting dow as I had to do the same thing. But I wouldn’t trade it!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-24 6:40 PM
It's great that she had such a good time that she wants to stay! But from what I've heard, it can be harder to get all the proper credits. It's good you have time over break to make the decision.
Parent - By AgelessDave Date 2018-11-25 2:38 AM
Yeah,that is the concern, keeping on track. While I am not wholly against a little extra time I want her to have a solid plan regarding what she is getting out of the extra time and what it is costing (I.e. possibly delayed graduation). We will discuss it all.
- By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-24 7:15 PM
Does Home Depot count as a small business? :laugh:

The weather turned colder this week and we got a little rain and snow.  When I went out to look at the pool, I could see the steam coming out of it.  It only has a canvas safety cover which is clearly not very good a holding in the heat.  I picked up 6 sheets of rigid insulation, so now I have R20 sitting on top of the pool.  There is a gap between the cover the and insulation so if we get any real snow the insulation will all break apart.  I guess tomorrow I'll cut the sheets so they fit inside of the pool - they are closed cell foam, so should float - and then I can close the cover over them and the surface tension of the water should help keep them from breaking apart.

Watched some football, walked a few miles.
- By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-24 8:32 PM
Sometimes the "small business" focus doesn't have the intended results.

Dear Niece graduated from Humboldt State University in Arcata, CA, near Eureka. Arcata has a city ordinance forbidding any chain stores except the ones that were there when the ordinance was passed (so CVS was grandfathered in). No Safeway, Kroger, Target, Wal-Mart, 7-11, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Independent businesses only. Works for restaurants and pubs -- they have plenty of both -- and gift stores and the like, but hasn't worked too well for pharmacies and electronics. The residents either drive 10 minutes to Eureka and its Corridor O'Chain Stores (hello Costco, Albertsons, McDonald's, et al) or go online and order from Amazon. Students are good at voting to keep chain stores out but when they realize that this is going to cost them more they go online which means even less sales tax money for the city.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Small Business Saturday Dailies