Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Fall Movie Thread
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-08 4:38 PM
The summer thread is buried too far back - and it's fall for another 7 weeks or so, so here.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-08 4:53 PM
A quick recap of my recent watchings

Incredibles 2 with the boys. I don't remember loving the first one all that much, so I wasn't that excited about this one. It was entertaining enough for what it was 7/10

Peppermint Jennifer Garner back to her ass-kicking roots. Totally enjoyed 8/10

The Predator I mean, it's a Predator movie, take it for what it is and be entertained. thumbs up for someone using "get to the choppah" in the film :laugh: 6/10

A Star is Born knew going in what the end result was going to be, didn't take away from the film at all. Stephanie G has a great set of pipes, and she and Bradley Cooper pulled off some romantic tragedy magic. 8/10

Venom I didn't even want to see this, but mrbarney did, so I took one for the team. It exceeded my expectations. However, Michelle Williams wig was terrible. Lines from the alien/parasite/hitchhiker pretty funny 6/10

I've seen the original Halloween and the recent sequel omg...the camp and the ridiculousness, not to mention the questions that arise. Why are random kids getting babysat on Halloween night, why aren't they out trick or treating, and why isn't anyone ringing their doorbells to get candy? Makes no sense. In the sequel the section with the doctor was so dumb and unnecessary, but Jamie Lee Curtis was great and they did a great job

Last week we saw Bohemian Rhapsody twice. Once was a free sneak peek and then again opening night with friends. I enjoyed it very much both times. Rami Malek did an outstanding job as Freddy Mercury. 8/10

And then Sunday we saw Mid90s by Jonah Hill. Reviews have been all over the place and a lot of 1 stars w/ people walking out in the first few minutes. Not sure how you can give 1 star for a film you haven't seen. I found it very nostalgic and true to form for the way teen boys behave/talk. We didn't have a skater clique in my high school, but mrbarney said some of the scenes could have been him as a kid trying to learn tricks, etc. some laugh out loud moments, and some sadness from the reality of some of the kids situations. Definitely worth 90 minutes of your time. 8/10

going to see Overlord tomorrow while the boys go see The Grinch
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-08 5:03 PM
I'd go to Bohemian Rhapsody if I lived near a theatre.  It looks awesome:hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-09 9:32 AM
it was really good. :happy:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-09 10:34 AM
This thread is kicking ass!  :hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-11 8:39 PM
They premiered Mid90s at UT with the film students and Jonah Hill was there to discuss with them. Blazerboy didn't realize Jonah would be there and skipped to study for chemistry test. He heard mixed reviews of it. I'm interested in seeing it.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-11-12 12:23 PM
cool :cool:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-11-12 12:23 PM
Mid90s : There is no release date known for this movie in Europe yet, but I definitely want to see it.

I've been following the criticism and kind of had the same thoughts (next to things I can't know since not seen the movie), although I don't find them big issues really, I just like to see a good movie, no matter where it's coming from.
It's going to be hard not to compare this with KIDS, which is an actual movie from the mid-90s about nihilistic skater kids in NY.

Also, it's his debut movie, so maybe he overthought a lot of things (like the brother's bedroom who seems to have the biggest niche Hip Hop CD collection, not the kind of things you would spend your money on if poor) while maybe lacking in content in other places.
I like that the movie is only 90 minutes though. I feel a lot of directors drag their movies as if you can only have a serious movie if it's at least 2 hrs :wtf:

Anyway, haven't seen it but definitely on my list!
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-11-09 10:50 AM
Happy to contribute! :grin:

I am hoping to see A Star is Born but haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Also considering the New Harry Potter Movie though the reviews are kind of bad for it, which is giving me pause.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-11-09 1:30 PM
I've also contemplated thinking about making time to possibly go see ASiB :happy:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-09 11:45 AM
Best movie currently out - Free Solo. It's unreal - you have to go see it.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-11 8:31 PM Edited 2018-11-11 8:34 PM
A Star Is Born.....two big thumbs up. Gaga:hug::hug::hug::hug: I admire that Bradley Copper learned to play guitar and sang, and did fine, but you can't be a simply decent singer with great mixing & editing when you sing next to Gaga.

Bad Times at the El Royale.....if you enjoy film noir, you will love this. I LOVED it. Some of the cinematography was a bit too symbolic, I prefer when they let me discover it, but a really great flick I want to watch again.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-12 12:29 PM
we are going to try to see Bad Times tomorrow night at Alamo Drafthouse, looks like it's about ready to leave the theatres, so we want to sneak it in before we leave for Illinois on Thursday.
- - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-13 12:10 PM
I saw a very good movie called Eighth Grade which seems to realistically capture the eighth grade experience, so in short a horror film. : pbbt:.  The director, Bo Burnham, who is about 28 showed up and answered questions after the movie which was neat and I was amazed that such a young guy made such an accomplished movie.  Everything was cool until one member of the very young audience asked him to go with her to prom and he said yes. :cry:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-13 2:59 PM
one member of the very young audience asked him to go with her to prom and he said yes  what the what?!?

I wanted to see that movie very much in the theatre, but mrbarney was not convinced. I'll be watching for it on whatever demand service it shows up on :happy:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-14 2:58 PM
My kid thought he was just being polite as to not hurt the girl's feelings, which sort of makes sense in the context of the movie. 

I couldn't get my husband to attend either, and it was a free showing at my kid's school.  :shocker!:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-11-14 7:51 AM
I watched this a couple of weeks ago. My eighth grader (LMA1) was watching with me but got up and left because she was cringing too much....that's when I knew it was certainly realistic. The dinner scene with the dad talking to her and her taking her headphones out and answering in a harsh tone hit home very hard. :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-14 2:59 PM
I went with my seventh grader and he kept having to explain stuff to me :roll::roll:

The dinner scene was awesome. :cool::laugh:
Parent - - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2018-11-14 11:47 AM
Loved it.  Of course we saw it a week or two after Colette died so his little speech about how he loved being her dad had me and my wife bawling in the theatre.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-14 3:00 PM
:sad::sad::hug::hug:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-11-15 1:00 PM
Off topic, but I'm glad to see you here and okay.  I'm guessing you weren't evacuated?
Parent - - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-15 3:13 PM
thanks!! :hug:    No evacuation for me, I live in a very dense neighborhood in West LA with no canyons anywhere nearby.  My colleague in the office and many friends and clients were evacuated but thankfully none of them lost their homes.  I hope you guys are okay.  I heard your air quality up there is really bad.  :sad:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-11-16 5:48 PM
Yeah, no running except on the treadmill.  But compared to the horrible losses some have suffered, we really can't complain.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-11-18 6:16 PM
:hug::hug:

I get depressed just thinking of the loss of life and devastation up there.  :sad:
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-13 3:35 PM
We recently watched Solo. I actually liked it quite a bit. It was fun, tied in well with the main Star Wars story line without trying to do too much.
- By Tommeke Date 2018-11-13 7:44 PM
Blackkklansman : I feel a bit conflicted on this movie. It was entertaining but I felt it lacked some depth given the subject, characters were rather shallow and some things seemed a bit rushed to match the plot. Spike Lee definitely tried to delve a bit deeper by including the story of Jesse Washington and "the birth of a nation". The aftermath was also poignant (and surely managed to get the theater very quiet) but somehow it felt a bit out of place with the general tone of the movie. I get that there are some stories he's trying to get across, and it's a continuous battle, but it was inserted rather artificially into the plot. The plot or at least the characters could have been a bit more poignant too. It was a bit too "Starsky and Hutch" for me. Relationships between the characters are also not really developed.
All in all not a bad movie, but I guess I just expected more of it.
- By callie [ca] Date 2018-11-20 4:45 PM
Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

:cry::cry::cry:You will cry. Unless you’re completely dead inside.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Fall Movie Thread