Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / November Book Club
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-07 10:10 AM
I finished My Struggle, Book 3: Boyhood Island by Karl Ove Knausgård last night. I've been blown away by this work.

Tonight I'll read the last book in Nick Bantock's Griffin & Sabine trilogy, The Golden Mean before starting in on My Struggle, Book 4: Dancing in the Dark.
- By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-07 10:39 AM
I just finished The Perfect Mother by Aimee Molloy on audiobook. It is a good listen while running, a disappearance/murder mystery set in Brooklyn. Good ending that I did not see coming!
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-07 11:16 AM
The same. Bunches of aviation texts and manuals. I'm in review mode now. 2/16 is when the next section I need to make up rolls around again. During that time I will be prepping for my General and Airframe writtens and the Airframe oral&practical. I'm also working through an elementary algebra text. I'll be taking intermediate algebra in January. :happy:
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-07 2:15 PM
I just got my Haynes manual for my '11 Hyundai Accent. :grin:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-11-20 8:38 AM
Good luck and here's to hanging in there. The end result will be worth it. :hug:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-07 12:10 PM
I finished North...the little Scott Jurek run....I give it a 7 out of 10.  I think the guy is phenomenal as a runner but the book was annoying.  I just wanted him to finish the goddamn run and shut up.

I read Born to Run (the Tarrhumarra sp?) couple months ago and I'm re-reading it now because I liked it so much.  I also read Born to Run, the Springsteen book awhile ago liked that too:hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-07 12:50 PM
:laugh:

I keep wondering if I want to read North. I am getting somewhat cynical these day about running, especially all these FKT things. FKT sounds like fuckit to me.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-07 12:57 PM
I wish I could just give you the book and then you would at least get your money's worth. :laugh::hug:

Yeah FKT reminds me of my own silly PWR...."Personal World Record".....but at least I'm being a moron when I use my term:hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-07 1:38 PM
I guess I liked the parts of North when it was specific about the trail and culture of the AT. But it was really the story of their marriage and finding their stride again after a loss. It was repetitive in the descriptions of how hard the endeavor was which put me in mind of all the people who've traveled that path without all the bells/whistles/support. The chapters switched from his perspective to hers and it was interesting from the crew perspective though in the end, it never switched back to her and her perspective on "finishing" which I found disappointing.
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-11-09 12:01 PM
At my friend Sarah's urging, ultrarunner podcast interviewed Jenny about the book instead of Scott.  I haven't finished the episode yet, but I believe this was something that irked Sarah too, and I think she asks Jenny about it.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-09 3:22 PM
Oh, cool. I will take a listen.
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-11-20 8:44 AM
I liked the book and did not find it annoying. (Not into that FKT stuff but still enjoyed the book.)

Interestingly enough just yesterday my husband and I were enjoying a hike in a park about 45 minutes from our home. Some guy just about knocked us off the trail hiking super fast. My first thought was,  "Can't you slow down and enjoy the experience?" Guess he bugged me because I have been passed by runners more politely than this guy. Not to mention he passed on the right.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-20 7:39 AM
Liked Born to Run the running book. I think it's a book you either embrace or don't get past the 2nd chapter.:laugh: Fortunately, I really enjoyed it.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-20 9:27 AM
Yeah I love it....I can't believe how much stuff I missed the first time through.  I like a lot of the chapters about our evolution.anthropology  :hug:
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-20 12:35 PM
Are you saying I need to read it again? Maybe I should...
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-20 1:40 PM
I've re-read a few books and it is a little concerning how much I realize I missed the first time.  I know if I'm tired when I read I tend to not let much soak in but it seems more than just missing a few things here and there.:hug:
- By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-07 12:49 PM
I just finished Xenocide by Orson Scott Card last night, and jumped into the next book of the series, Children of the Mind. Interesting and thought provoking at times. Besides sci-fi type stuff, there are some religious overtones along with alternative views of life and the universe of course.
- By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-07 12:54 PM
Almost done with Eliza Hamilton: The Extraordinary Life and Times of the Wife of Alexander Hamilton, by Tilar J. Mazzeo. After that, I have a bunch of stuff out from the library, so I'll see what grabs my interest from that pile.
- - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-11-08 10:33 AM
Just finished The Witch Elm and Broken Harbor by Tana French. Listened to the former on audio and read the latter. Both pretty captivating IMO, sort of a "literary suspense" genre set in Ireland. To me at least, it's a lot of fun to read this type of novel when I honestly can't decide, 3/4 of the way through, whether I trust any of the characters.:grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-08 10:42 AM
I will check these out! I listened to her book In the Woods and really enjoyed it!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-08 11:04 AM
I love Tana French! I have The Witch Elm, but am saving it for vacation.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-11-09 12:02 PM
I love Tana French and have read all her books except the new one.  I'll definitely read that, and probably re-listen to all the Dublin Murder Squad books, before SNF and I travel to Ireland next spring. :cool:
- By jennyO Date 2018-11-09 12:04 PM
Quick read of Maria Semple's Today Will Be Different and now reading Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, the first book in a trilogy.  It's very good, imaginative in a chilling way.  Also listening to a police procedural (Karin Slaughter's Fractured) and Malcom Gladwell's The Tipping Point, which I somehow never got around to before.
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-20 7:37 AM
I just finished The Couple Next Door I'll give it 2.5 stars good plot. Very unlikeable characters and I didn't like the ending. 

Now I am reading An Absolutely Remarkable Thingby Hank Green. It is not a YA book (as in John Green his brother). It is a combination contemporary and even SciFi story. I thought I'd try something completely different. The library is completely out of all formats into perpetuity. I took that as such a good sign. I paid money of the hardcover. :shocker!:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2018-11-20 8:46 AM
If I don't like at least one of the characters I have a hard time getting through the book. Same with movies and TV shows.
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-20 12:59 PM
I always think if I don't like spending time with them, life is too short to spend time with them.
- By gadget girl Date 2018-11-20 11:33 AM
I'm listening to Call Me By Your Name, by Andre Aciman (read by Armie Hammer - swoon.....)  

Also reading Waking Lions, by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen
- By george [us] Date 2018-11-20 12:12 PM
Just finished Fragile Things, a collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. He has quickly become one of my favorite authors on the account that his ability to tell a story is superb. I also started The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Steven Baxter, which is very interesting so far.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / November Book Club