Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / WednesDaily
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-07 9:34 AM
The election is FINALLY over.  I suspect no one reading this is entirely pleased with the results, but no matter where you sit on the political spectrum, we all had wins and losses.  In your life, do you focus on the WINS or LOSSES?  Is the glass half full or half empty?

And of course, workout details and blather.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-07 12:33 PM
When the glass is half empty, I take solace in the fact that I am drinking a full pint, and there is more good stuff left to pour.

Geez, that could be a new tagline.

I have not run yet and was planning to run at lunch, but was waiting for a phone call and got hungry so I ate instead. I will get out late afternoon for a short jog with the Lady up on the local trail. Probably just 4 miles.

Everyone I voted for yesterday was a winner. Yay for me!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:05 PM
Would be a great tagline!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 2:59 PM
:cool: winner!!!
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-07 1:35 PM
Easy 8 miles. Didn't really feel like running (tired) and my left hamstring is a bit cranky, but I got out there and warmed up after a few miles and felt pretty decent. Ran in some new neighborhoods to further my goal of running on every road in this town. Got nice and lost a few times and had to backtrack after finding myself half a mile into a cul-de-sac or dead end, but at least I got those roads out of the way!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:01 PM
That's a cool goal, though not an advisable one in my city : pbbt: 8 miles is a lot when you didn't feel like going :happy:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-07 9:49 AM
A taper-y three miles this morning.  I will likely hop on the elliptical for 45 minutes or so tonight instead of going to boxing class as my left shoulder has been wonky for a few days, so I will pass on punching and push-ups this evening.

While I am huge whiner, I do attempt to see the Glass Half Full.  Two years ago, when I was SO UPSET by the election results, I made a decision to make an effort to do something kind or empowering for someone else, every day.....no action was too small. (Yes, I realize this should have been part of my life for the previous 50 years, but better late than never!:laugh:)  I think this has become a habit and most days, I have the ability to find a sense of calm for at least a few minutes.  I think it takes more effort for me to be positive, but the reward for the effort is truly worth it.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-07 10:36 AM
I love that you make a point to do something kind or empowering every day. :hug: I try to do the same, even if it is just encouraging someone at work (we have a lot of young women just starting out so I'm trying to help mentor them), and it does take a conscious effort. I need to make a point to do it daily though, that is sometimes the hardest part.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-07 12:35 PM
That's a nice thing to do day to day. I like to live by the Wawa rule (local convenience store nearby). It seems everyone is always friendly and courteous at the Wawa store. Holding doors, being polite. Rarely do you see anyone act crappy at the Wawa.
Parent - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-07 3:04 PM
One time I walked into a WaWa and was trying to buy ground decaf (the in laws only had caffeinated coffee and I like decaf for evenings). The worker didn't have any she could sell me but she GAVE me their packets they use to make their coffee to sell. Awesome!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:06 PM
That's an awesome resolution and great that you've managed to stick with it for so long.  :hug:  Good thought on protecting the wonky shoulder.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:02 PM
That is a great idea! At my meeting we were a bunch of middle aged to older white guys and me and a young woman leading the whole thing. She did a great job IMO and I was proud of her. I should tell her so. Thanks for the idea!
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-07 10:29 AM
I am an eternal optimist. I always focus on the wins and the glass is always half full. I am a realist though, I don't ignore the bad stuff, I just tend to focus on the positive and have hope that the best will happen. Maybe I'm a pollyanna, but I'm ok with that. :happy:

Late night at work + errands + slight migraine = me skipping my run last night. I'll just switch my rest day this week and run Friday instead. I took the dog on a long walk, which helped with the headache. This morning I was feeling MUCH better so I got in 5.25 nice miles as the sun was coming up. I just saw on Strava that someone took my CR on a segment of my usual 5-mile route, so I guess I now have a goal to win that back. : pbbt: I am trying to work strength and core into my routine and not just do it once every 3 months, so I am aiming to do a body weight strength workout and some core stuff after work tonight.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:06 PM
Nice to hear you're feeling so much better!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:03 PM
I wish i could be like you! :hug:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-07 10:50 AM
I'm terribly cynical and always have been. When I was a kid (like 10, 12 years old), one of my stepfather's colleagues took great delight in referring to me as "the little cynic." That said, I've always felt that cynicism and optimism are closely related, and in the end, I feel that I tend to be cynical because I'm at heart an optimist. I want things to be good, better, best, and don't like it when they're not. (Not to drag this down to my work situation again this week, but as an example, every day I look at one colleague in particular and think to myself: What made you into such an awful person? Would it kill you to be generous? To say thank you? To acknowledge other people's efforts?)

I'm doing my best to see the silver lining in yesterday's results. One huge thing locally is the unseating of our longtime state senator. Over the years, he has said some awful things and introduced some abhorrent legislation. I think he thought he was a shoo-in for re-election, failed to campaign, and ended up getting outplayed. (That actually happened in another local state senate district, too, where a kid unseated a 20+-year senator.)

6 mi this morning. It was actually really nice temp-wise. I have started to see the S-word crop up in long-range forecasts over the next couple of weeks, though.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-07 12:37 PM
WS word. White shit flying from the sky. :cry:

I see some 20's here as well which means the WS is soon to follow.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:07 PM
I've heard that before - that cynicism and optimism are actually closely linked.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:04 PM
I've never heard that about cynicism.

We had no real surprises here. I guess I am a bit surprised Tim Kaine still won.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-07 11:02 AM
10 miles before work.

We ended up with 3 of us but not our normal group. A woman who works with me joined us this morning for a rare early appearance. She’s also training for the Kiawah Marathon and may join us for the next few weeks to get ready for that. It was a pretty nice morning for a run with the temperatures right in the mid-50’s.

I’m pretty optimistic. Even when the glass is almost empty, I rejoice in the little bit that is left.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:08 PM
Good philosophy!  :happy:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:05 PM
Was it foggy at all? It was super foggy here. Couldn't even see the streetlights a lot of the time
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:53 PM
No fog but it was very humid.
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-11-07 11:05 AM
3.2 miles for me this morning.

In this case, I view the glass as neither half-full nor half-empty, but as suffering from design defects that are worsening over time and may cause the glass to break entirely at some point.  :meh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-07 12:56 PM
:hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:05 PM

> design defects that are worsening over time and may cause the glass to break entirely at some point. 

Yup.  :meh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:05 PM
:laugh::cry:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-07 11:07 AM
I'm optimist, but I can over analyse sometimes...just to be prepared for the worst:)

Swim last night  was great, bunch of people I know showed up, so it was good to catch in between sets and when kicking. I taped my thumb and that worked out well. It didn't get too wet.

5 miles this morning, started in dark and the temperature was great for running 53F. Few runners up already. I plan to do some lifting in the evening.

I'm flying to San Francisco on  Friday, for 5 hours of interview. I'm hopeful but I need to spend some time to prepare. It's going to be a long day.

Happy Hump Day!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:08 PM
Are you interviewing, or being interviewed?
Parent - - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-07 1:12 PM
Being interviewed. It's time to move, I'm in this position only 7 months, but my supervisor wasn't necessary truthful about situation here and it's not getting any better. People won't change and the culture here is not changing. Besides that my boyfriend has a really good prospect of new job in SF, so if I can find job earlier, that would work us great for us  and we can move together (less costs).
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:06 PM
Good luck! 5 hour interview sounds worse than a marathon
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:29 PM
yep....not fun, but it's also my chance to interview them ;)
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-07 3:55 PM
Good luck with the interview!
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:29 PM
thanks!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 11:20 AM
DH says “Plan for the worst, hope for the best.”  But since I’m a planner, I tend to focus on the worst… but then I’m happy when it doesn’t happen.  On the flip side, if I hope for the best, I’ll get terribly disappointed when it doesn’t happen.  But as far as winning/losing… If it’s anyone else, I’ll say “Look how far ahead you are in the pack!”  But for me, I only see the people ahead, never behind. : pbbt:

I had such a nice day yesterday :hug:  makes this one not so nice. :cry:   When you feel like you’ve been here for 6 hours, and it’s only 9:15, there’s a problem. But, then I had a 2 hours meeting.  Meetings break up the day and make me :happy:, especially when it’s someone else who has to do the project & I just give input. :grin:  And I have some other stupid stuff that my weirdo self finds enjoyable, so maybe this afternoon won’t be so bad. 

This morning was hard to get out of bed.  To help ease the transition between warm bed and cold house, I wear a stocking cap around until I go out for a run. :blush: Good thing nobody else is awake…  Ran 6 miles before doing two workout videos – back & bis and shoulders.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-07 12:55 PM
Glad you had a good day :happy:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:09 PM
I find planning is a good way to deal with pessimism - makes me feel like I am prepared for whatever happens.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-07 11:45 AM Edited 2018-11-07 11:49 AM
The election thing is crazy.  I guess I never really paid much attention about mid-term elections but seems crazy that there is some vote every 2 years costing tons of money.  It seems the whole time people are campaigning...but I'm used to a different system so it is likely just whatever you're used to becomes the normal way to do things.

I try to live in the moment....don't look back or ahead.  Some days easier said than done but when I get it right it really seems the right thing to do.  So half full or empty it's just the way it is, so go with it because life is great and we should enjoy our present time because who knows if we will get tomorrow...and we will be dead for a very long time. 

Now the exciting part!!!  Guess what?   Molly and I and friends did 9km and started half an hour later so it was almost light near the end.  Many many cows and horses on the route to slalom through.  It was a little frosty but I still went in shorts ...a clear sky so a sunny day....the river has dropped.....SO....it's Molly in the river in about an hour!!!!  :hug:

PS:  I don't know the stats or particularly care about the political parties but it did seem that there were a lot of chicks winning last night and I think that is great.  Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall too many wars started by women unless you count Maggie Thatcher and the Falkland Islands but that was just being a big bully over a ridiculous territory from colonial times that just happen to sit on a big reservoir of oil.:hug:

(And Maggie didn't start the war but she enjoyed conflict)
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-07 12:18 PM
Six months ago, a few of our corporate offices were consolidating into one. There was a question as to who got the super, snappy corner office with the awesome view.....me or the guy who joined the company the same time I did.  I suggested we do Rock-Paper-Scissors to determine who got the office.  Everyone (the men) all got a funny look and asked if I was serious.  I told them that if women ruled the world, there would be a lot more Rock-Paper-Scissors and a lot less war.  :laugh:  We played it, I lost but still have a decent view, so all is good.  And peaceful.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-07 12:54 PM
I had a really awesome corner office in the olden days and it came down to me and my buddy deciding who would get it....he was a bigger producer (broker) and older etc etc so I figured I would just concede.
Then his wife came to see the new office set up and told him which office he was taking....so needless to say it worked out really well for me.:hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:09 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-08 8:41 AM
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-07 12:42 PM
It is crazy in this country. Our government officials spend more time campaigning than working for our country. At least it seems that way to me.

Glad the river is down for Molly. :hug:

The Lady refuses to swim or fetch (she will wade) but we've had Springer Spaniels that loved to do that.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-07 12:55 PM
The money is crazy too....but maybe I'm just out of touch :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:07 PM
The $$$ spent just kills me. Thank goodness I won't get anymore phone calls from Denver Riggleman for a couple of years.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-07 3:09 PM
Denver Riggleman sounds like a good name for a "adult movie" actor :hug:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-07 11:52 AM
I think I view the glass as having content, while hoping it's at least half full! 

The usual for me this morning.  Taught spin class & then did my core, hip & shoulder exercise routine.  After many weeks, the bike mechanic FINALLY worked on the bikes yesterday!  Two that were down have been repaired and are functional again.  The others which needed console and/or other batteries and/or "pairing" to make the consoles operational are also up & running.  But the cycling room "glass" was not completely full...one rider couldn't get the cleat on his left bike shoe to clip in, even with my help, so he had to dismount & set up a different bike...while class had already started.  Then another rider, wearing sneakers, came in a few minutes late, set her bike up and then notices there's no strap in the toe cage!  So, she too had to set up another bike. When I saw all the bikes on the repair list marked as completed I didn't bother to walk the room looking for something obvious like that this morning.  We had a relatively ok spare strap in the room so after class I threaded it into the previously strapless toe cage.  I also checked out the clip the guy couldn't get in and while I had no problem, I adjusted the tension on it slightly so perhaps it will work for the next rider. 

I'm always looking for ways to freshen up my classes or use something current like a holiday for a theme.  I did a pre-election day class 2 years ago the day before the election & didn't want to jinx anything this time so stayed away from that :roll:  With the recent release of the movie "Bohemian Rhapsody" I'm thinking about a class playlist with all Queen music, maybe/maybe not just their songs from the movie soundtrack.  I'm finding it a bit difficult.  Several of their songs work well to ride to but filling up a 15-16 song playlist might be tough.  Also not sure if our membership demographic would appreciate it.  Work in progress & we'll see.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-07 12:27 PM
Just checked my running playlist to see how much Queen I have on it.....six songs.  Not sure I could do 15-16 of Queen, but, you would have warm-up and cool-down songs and I try to keep my running playlist peppy.  Also, since Bohemian Rhapsody is so long, could it count as two songs time wise?  

I do that at least that number from both Taylor Swift and Zac Brown Band, and almost that much of Tom Petty.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-07 12:45 PM
Bohemian Rhapsody is 5:57.  I need to fill up at least 55 minutes (including warmup & cooldown) and even with some longer songs, my playlists typically come out to 15-16 songs.  There's nothing magical about that number, it's the time I have to fill. 

I commented that I *might* be working on this class profile on a private indoor cycling instructor page of an organization I subscribe to and the owner/master instructor asked if i would submit it to be shared with the other subscribers.  Her "staff" provides profiles regularly, which is one of the reasons I pay to subscribe to the site.  They do solicit from us regular members so I might work it up and send it to her & ask for a critique before I attempt to use it in class...getting my money's worth! :laugh:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:11 PM
Sounds like a neat idea!  My spin instructor, back when I was spinning regularly, would use the same songs over and over again.  :laugh:  I like your approach of keeping it fresh.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-07 2:51 PM
I sort of have a personal rule of not using a song if I've used it in the previous two months.  Sometimes I do break this rule  :laugh:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-07 12:46 PM
That's cool that you think up different things like that :happy:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-07 12:55 PM
What about adding in some cover versions of Queen songs? Would song redundancy not work?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-07 2:55 PM
That's an idea!  Sometimes the cover will be at a different tempo too so not exactly the same.  I've used a mellow piano cover of "Raise Your Glass" as a warmup and followed it with Pink's original "Raise Your Glass" which has a much quicker tempo.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-07 12:54 PM
I tend to be a sort of hopeful person even though a lot of crap happens. I dunno though. I don't feel hopeful about the future of the country anymore and while there were gains last night, including, maybe, the congressperson representing my district(still too close to call), I also think the results showed how racist this country still is including the area where I live.

Six last night and something similar tonight I think..Nice and sunny today for a change.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:10 PM
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:08 PM
It surprised me how many people must support Trump. I expect it in my area, but I thought the country was different.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-07 3:58 PM
I thought this blog post, "I Know Why You're Sad," Click, from Nov.7, nailed this idea.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 4:41 PM
Yeah, but that's Not quite it for me. I don't think all Republicans are awful. My kids are not Trump supporters but lean right. I'm 100% fine with that. What they've grown up with at high school, I can only imagine. And I can certainly sympathize and understand why people are Republican. I enjoy reading gadget girl's and other's thoughts on issues.  But Trump is just so divisive. He says/tweets so many WTF things every single day... I just don't get how you can support that. And it feels like by voting Republican this time around, you are showing support for Trump, though I suppose that's not really fair either.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-07 7:02 PM
Well, I really try not to get into in depth political discussions on this board (: pbbt: I know, not many here will believe that, but it's true), but I will say, today's GOP is not what it was 25 years ago, it's changed dramatically. It's changed very intentionally. And I agree with the idea that a vote for the GOP, especially on the national level, is a vote of support for Trump.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-07 7:14 PM
Yes. We went through the whole civil rights movement and women's movement etc. and this is where we are...:sad:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-11-07 1:04 PM
USDO for me today.  Not feeling well and figure I could use a rest day.  I haven't slept well ever since I got back from Australia so I think that's catching up to me. 

Went to the gym last night after work for my usual Tuesday workout.  I skipped the cardio stuff I usually do since I wasn't feeling my best, but did the strength stuff. 

I tend to be more pessimistic than otherwise, especially these days. :sad:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-07 1:53 PM
It seems like recovery from travel to and from Australia could take a while.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:09 PM
Maybe you should go back to Australia! And take me with you :wink:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-07 3:58 PM
:laugh:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-07 2:47 PM
4 miles with the small white dog this morning, we only saw 3 walkers and 1 runner today. it was muggy and warm out and the roads were slick from overnight drizzle. bleh
I try to find the silver lining in things, but can't help but be a sad about another 6 years of Mr. Cruz. sigh
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:09 PM
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-11-07 2:52 PM
The glass is always half-full in my world. And I can always imagine possibilities for ways to refill it or top it off.

3 miles this morning. I’ve been able to consistently get out for 3 miles, multiple days in a row, without my PF flaring up. Progress.

Blather: One of the ballot questions in my town yesterday was whether to ban retail weed shops in town. The result was no ban. There’s a big cloud on the horizon. The wind is blowing it this way. Here it comes. We’re enveloped in it. Like, dude...
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-07 3:11 PM
That's a great way to be. Easier said than done for me, but I can work on it..

Yay for PF progress!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:01 PM
I think you and W. should have a couples wedding shower, and your registry can ask for Doritos and pints of Ben & Jerry's.: pbbt:
- By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-07 3:46 PM
I don't think of elections as a football game, in terms of wins or losses. Philip and I talk about policy a lot and what the election results mean in concrete terms, especially in terms of funding for projects from health education to public transportation, and look at whether the election results mean the money keeps coming, or the money stops. Will people still have access to certain publicly funded services, or not? I used to be optimistic that voters would do the right thing when it came to voting for policies that would help people, not hurt them, but haven't been optimistic at all for years, probably since Newt Gingrich began his war to divide the country along party lines.

6 miles this morning with a 2 mile fast interval thrown in there. Great run! Then a full day of dog walking, had a couple of extra ones today. No time for lunch.:sad: Got home and inhaled leftover chickpea stew.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-07 6:25 PM
5.2 cold miles.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / WednesDaily