Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tiny triumphs on Tuesday (Dailies)
- - By skigirl Date 2018-11-06 9:57 AM
What successes, minor or major, are making you happy today?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 3:20 PM
Finished hacking away at some legacy code today and it compiled. Minor success. Major success will be when I test it to see if it works.
Voted today of course. It was pouring rain when we went drove over to the firehouse. The line for our precinct was short compared to the other precinct that votes in the same building.

Decent run today at lunch. Heavy rain subsided to normal showers, so I headed up to the local trail for 6 miles. The little stream called Sprogels Run was sort of gushing from all the rain today. Normally you just hop across it on a few strategically placed rocks. Today, those were all under water. No matter. My feet were going to get regardless. Despite the rain, the run made me happy today.
Parent - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-11-06 7:45 PM
My minor success was I ran 3.55 miles on the treadmill and got a couple things done.
- - By skigirl Date 2018-11-06 10:02 AM
I'm terrible with birthdays.  I am generally pretty good at remembering that, say, June 14 is so-and-so's birthday, or that Dec 19 is someone else's birthday, but on June 14 or Dec 19, I'm terrible at remembering to actually say Happy Birthday to the person in question.  And I'm particularly terrible at getting presents and/or cards into the mail on time.  f

So, tomorrow is my dad's birthday.  I bought him a calendar when I was in Scotland in September - he seems to really like the calendars I pick up for him in places I travel to - and I had a card.  And - here is my tiny triumph - I made it to the post office on time (yesterday) to get it to him with two-day shipping!  Yay for me! 

Of course, when I got to the post office, they explained to me that Canada Post is having rotating strikes and so the parcel probably won't arrive until Thursday (even though I paid for two-day shipping).  : pbbt:  But hey, I tried. : pbbt::laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-06 10:34 AM
You had the best intentions :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 10:51 AM
Good job! :grin:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-06 10:59 AM
Aaah, the feeling of getting a package sent off in the mail ... :cool:

Your post reminds me of a #mailfail I had earlier this year. A college buddy who now lives in Canada was visiting his family in the States, and I pulled together a box of birthday and Christmas stuff to send to him while he was visiting (this avoiding the international postage fee). Sadly, the box is still sitting where I got it half-assembled. Not a winning moment for me!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 11:39 AM
Lol! But he will know that you tried! :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:33 PM
I am certain he will appreciate the effort.:hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-06 10:36 AM
Successes: It's 10:30 and I have run 5.1 miles, took the kids to school, ran back home to drop Olive off (she can't stand it if she can't go), run to get coffee, back to school for a meeting then had to leave for a 9:30 appt. Finished that and went to vote. :cool: Oh and I've washed the sheets.

Whew.

5.1 miles with my Tuesday buds :hug:

We are going back to the allergy doc with Brett to just talk about our plan going forward for the flu shot. We decided not to give it to her... I don't particularly want him to run tons of tests but my husband has ?s so it'll be good to visit with the doctor again.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 10:51 AM
Busy morning! :cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 11:40 AM
A lot of running in that post! Good luck at the doctor :happy:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:34 PM
Nice morning.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 10:50 AM
Lots of tiny triumphs: I voted! Dinner is in the crockpot! I actually have an idea of what to get my sister for Christmas! I finished open enrollment for 2019 today!

I woke up to run this morning but I weather wimped out since it was cold and raining and it's supposed to keep raining all day. It should stop by the time I get home from work, so that's when I will run. But it will be dark. :cry:

I've had the feeling all day that I'm forgetting something. :wtf: I;m wearing pants so I'm not sure what it could be. : pbbt:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-06 11:34 AM
What's for dinner?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:15 PM
Jambalaya. Chicken, andoille sausage, spices, and veggies in the crockpot with tomatoes and chicken stock. Cook rice when I get home, shred the chicken, then add the cooked rice and chicken back to the crockpot. Yum!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 4:16 PM
that does sound yum!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 11:41 AM
Pants are good, as are shoes. Do you have two of those, preferably matching?

That's how I felt last week and yesterday. Too many misc crap things to remember
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:16 PM
Haha, yes, matching shoes too. I guess whatever I forgot wasn't too important!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:35 PM
We have not heard a peep about our 2019 open enrollment yet.  That is actually irritating to me.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:15 PM
Ours ends tomorrow!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-06 6:07 PM
11/12 to 12/10 for me.  Will drop to a lower option in the Blue Cross plan I've had since before retirement.  That will become secondary ins. for both of us in Jan since DW will also be covered by medicare at that time. Old people issues : pbbt:
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 10:54 AM
Happy voting day!
was up an out the door before 6am this morning to run (thank you time change) and got in a solid 4 miles w/ Benji. we only saw 4 runners and 3 walkers today - the only dog out and about was Benji.

triumph - ran today (stayed home from work yesterday with some sort of sneezy, head, coughy crap) still have it to a lesser degree today, but I feel much better overall. got in and out of the polling place in less than 10 minutes (a friend in Austin had an hour long line) and dinner last night was a rousing success w/ all the boys :cool:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-06 11:35 AM
Good work!! :cool: What was dinner?
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:09 PM
so when I used to work at Office Depot waaaayyyy back in the day, I bought a cookbook there that is a compilation of recipes by name brand companies. last night was spicy salsa ravioli from Lawry's.

basically roasted 6 bell peppers (yellow, red & green) w/ olive oil, season salt, garlic powder & a bit of sugar. then layered in a baking dish on top of salsa, then ravioli, mozzarella cheese and green onions. baked for about 20 minutes. had a salad & some toasty bread. everyone was happy :happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 11:42 AM
Lots of good things except that coughing thing! I'm glad you are on the upswing
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:37 PM
blazergirl told me the first week of early voting in College Station (on campus) took at least two hours the first bunch of days.  She did get in done early as she suspected today would be a clusterfkkk <----a word mentioned by many in yesterday's post>
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:36 PM
Yay for easy voting. It does feel a bit anti-climactic though, doesn't it, when it's over in 30 seconds?:laugh:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 4:17 PM
I made sure to take extra time filling in my circles just right with my sharpie :laugh:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-06 10:57 AM
Tiny triumphs so far today: I voted! Well, it was a pretty good start. This is from last night, but I bought a new thermometer. I have an instant-read thermometer from this company, and yesterday they had a sale on a clip-on style thermometer, which will be super handy for deep-frying and making sugar syrups. (It's the little things!) I also just discovered that there's a new store up the street from work where they sell something like 15 to 20 product categories in bulk from bins, so you buy by the pound. Theoretically, this should be cheaper, so I've got to do some recon to check their nut, chocolate, and spice prices.

10 mi this morning. Fortunately, it was not pouring buckets when I ran as it is now.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-06 11:36 AM
Nice run!
We have a spice store not far from me and I've always meant to stop in. I need to.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 11:43 AM
Chocolate by the pound... I didn't realize you lived near heaven!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:15 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:38 PM
Oh.....a candy thermometer, not a people one!:laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:39 PM
It's been pouring here all day.:meh: Good prices on nuts is hard to find!

Nice run!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 11:36 AM
I made it through 3+ hours in the rain to get Jacob to meet with a professor. It makes me :cry: that *I'm* the one who looks out of place, not my kid! :cry: I was :cool: with both the sound of the program and also that my kid could talk far more intelligently than I could at his age. He's now meeting with the student that's the head of the peer mentor program while I hang out and pretend I'm 25-30 years younger : pbbt:

Workout - I did Baron Baptiste's journey into power yoga level 2 DVD this morning. Nothing else but sit on my read and drive and eat...
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:39 PM
It is always so nice when your offspring can communicate well with adults!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:17 PM
I feel so old on college campuses these days :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:33 PM
I used to visit my college campus a lot to relive all the memories, blah blah blah, then one day I noticed that everyone there was at least 20 years younger than I was. I stopped going after that.:laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-06 6:14 PM
10-11 years ago I took a series of personal trainer courses at our county's community (junior) college.  My classmates ran the gamut from late teenagers just out of HS...to several years older than that...to us old folks of which I was the oldest at 54ish.  I was older than all of the instructors except one who was the same age as me!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-06 12:04 PM
Went to the gym this morning, did core, hip & shoulder exercises and then swam 800 meters, all of it with a pull buoy because my left knee is a bit creaky and I wanted to give it a rest from kicking.  100 of the meters were backstroke.

On the way to the gym I stopped at our polling place (a "foyer" in a small church) and voted.  There were two people signing in ahead of me and once I did that, I had to wait 5 seconds for one of them to finish voting in one of the two voting machines in the facility.  I've always experienced light traffic at this polling place.  Perhaps because; I voted at 9:30am while many people are at work, the weather sucked at the time and/or there are too many polling places in my neighborhood/district!  Seriously, on the way to the poll, I drive two blocks from home and pass a mini firehouse where one district votes and then two more blocks to where I vote.  Years ago they had us vote at one of the two elementary schools in our development and there was more voter traffic...also perhaps because I was still working full time then and voted after work.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:11 PM
I voted at an elementary school this morning - was nice to think that the kids get to see everyone coming in for their civic duty (tee hee, I said duty)
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:40 PM
Better too many polling places than too few!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-06 12:18 PM
9km with Molly and the gang :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:15 PM
any fetch planned for later today?
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-06 2:34 PM
We just got back from the river about an hour ago.  It's not that high (me or the river) but a lot of debris floating along so Molly is "grounded" until it clears up a bit.  Soooo the fetching is kind of on hold and she isn't too excited to retrieve on land:hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:40 PM
I though of you when I took Tonks for me on my run this morning. :hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-06 4:06 PM
:hug:
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-06 12:26 PM
Resting today. Walking over to vote in a few.

My tiny triumph is getting two free weeks of school. I only had to make up two short sections this quarter. So I went to get a prorated refund. I got a full refund minus a $20 refund charge or $280.00 back. :happy:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:11 PM
:cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:41 PM
Winning!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:31 PM
Nice!
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-06 1:09 PM
4 miles at noon.

Our tiny triumph was cutting the run short from the planned 5 miles as a storm was getting ready to roll through. We knew it was going to be close but we were able to get in most of the run without any issues.

A new class has started at the Y and the instructor has them doing all sorts of weird stuff. They started off in 3 groups each with a medicine ball. They ran around the block passing the ball from the front of the line to the back. When it got to the back of the line, that person had to sprint to the front and then start passing it back. I’d like to see them doing this class in July when it is 100 degrees.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:12 PM
we had to do that in track in high school, but without the medicine ball. our coach called it Indian drills. not sure if that was because our mascot was the Indians or because they thought that was how Indians run :wtf:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:30 PM
I did it with our soccer team in high school and it was also called an Indian Run. Our high school mascot is also Indian based - Warriors but I don’t think that’s where the name came from.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:19 PM
Indian run here too! We did it for volleyball tryouts in the summer, outside, in 95+ degree weather. My friend puked at the end. Our coach said it was character building. :shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:42 PM
Oh, Jerome has us do crazy crap like that in the blacktop parking lot when it is 100* in July!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:30 PM
I've seen the local cross fit group doing those kind of running exercises. That which does not kill you...:laugh:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-06 1:33 PM
2.5 miles at 6 am. tiny success - I got up to run! even though it's easier after the time change...I'm happy with my running lately.

I'm planning to go swimming after work, but I'm not sure if I can make the whole hour - I cut my thumb last night and unfortunately still hurts/ bleeds when wet.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:14 PM
sorry about your thumb - did you cut it making dinner?
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:33 PM
I was preparing salad for today's lunch, Zeke was getting inside and first thing he does when he sees anyone in the kitchen - he investigates with his big nose. So I was rushing....
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:43 PM
Always nice to feel good about your running!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:20 PM
:happy: on being happy with running!
- - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-06 1:52 PM
7 miles this morning at 4:15am in a cold rain. It sort of sucked.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:13 PM
:sad: that sounds sort of terrible. but nice job getting it done.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:43 PM
Cold rain the THE WORST!!!:cry:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:20 PM
You are a better man than I. I bailed.
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-06 3:50 PM
Pushing hard to get back into shape, can’t afford to bail although had to talk myself into getting out of my toasty bed
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 2:53 PM
I did an easy 3 miles this morning and was finally able to convince Tonks to join me for the first mile.....she has been hiding when she sees me get ready to run.:shocker!:  Nice success is that she pooped on the run and even though it was on yard which had a Ted Cruz sign, I was a good citizen and picked up the poop. :roll:  I had what I hope will be a nice success in that I THINK I think convinced someone important at work to approve a deal I have been working on FOREVER!!!!  It is not for sure, but the conversation went good enough that I am feeling :happy:. For now.

I went to a luncheon benefitting "The Arts" to support one of my colleagues had to speak at it and she was very nervous. As I knew she would, she did fabulous and I was very proud of her.:hug::hug:  While I would not have gone to this event otherwise, it was good to be part of it.  Listening to people speak about "The Arts" makes me feel better that the boy is majoring in film.:roll:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:21 PM
Tonks :hug:

Yay for your work success! :grin:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:28 PM
You are a better citizen than I!: pbbt:

Good job colleague!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:31 PM
My motivation to pick up the poop is the fact people have security cameras.  We can see who lets their dog shit on our lawn and think most in our neighborhood also have cameras.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:42 PM
:laugh:

I always pick up too, mostly because it really pisses me off when people don't- but I've got to say, a Ted Cruz sign might do me in.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:25 PM
My 90 minute spin class was a success this morning! I pushed hard the whole way, had the highest output yet for that class length.:happy: Right now, I'm trying to keep my sanity while the dogs bark their heads off begging for dinner. They're all confuzzled by the time change last Sunday, and think it's 5:15 when it's only 4:15. We'll see if I'm successful. I'm not thinking about election results yet, that is too stressful and polls don't close for a while, but I'm hoping the candidates and policies I voted for will be successful. Oh, my homemade elderberry syrup came out successfully. It's supposed to be a real immune system booster, and I really don't want to get sick anytime soon!

I should double with a run tonight, but it's raining heavily out with slippery leaves all over the place. I really need to look into replacing my treadmill, which did not survive the move. Any suggestions for a good, not too expensive, kind of quiet, treadmill?
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-06 7:10 PM
Go to Gymsource in Paramus and check out the True 300 treadmill. The guy quoted me a price of 2800.00 with free delivery and set up. Also offered me 12 or 18 month financing. I ran on it for a while, it’s commercial quality and pretty quiet. Considering adding it to my home gym.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-07 9:18 AM
Thanks!
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-06 5:02 PM
6.3 windy miles.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-07 8:16 AM
Pleased with the Wisconsin election results but will be more pleased when it is 100% official. :cool:
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-06 5:18 PM
I haaaaate going to get prescriptions filled. I don’t know why but I do. So every time I actually get to the pharmacy on time, I feel like I deserve a treat. Went there today. Go me! Another tiny triumph - my “run” intervals on my 45 min, 3.6 mile workout were bumped up to 5.5 mph and I felt fine. Baby(ha) steps!

Voted today - E got her sticker and the poll worker told me she was the youngest person she’d seen. And that the oldest voter she’s seen was 107! :shocker!::hug: seen at the polls today I mean...

Having pizza and wine for dinner as we watch the polls :cry: I feel like vomiting. So much ptsd from 2016...
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-06 5:33 PM
107!:cool::cool:

Ok, weird story. So my MIL is in the hospital, she's 87 and we think this is it. She's had dementia for a while. But last week, when she was still semi-coherent,  she signed a mail-in ballot and my FIL mailed it. If she died before today, election day, would her vote count? I would think so. Anyway, she's still ticking today and the polls close at what, 8? 9?

I hear you on the ptsd!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-06 6:20 PM
I saw a snippet on the Philly news earlier showing a 100& something year old woman going in to vote.  Maybe it was her!
- By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-06 5:52 PM
Another 4 miles (a little chilly at 41 degrees, but sunny).  No owls this time.  Just a hawk.
- By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-06 7:04 PM
My mini triumph tonight. Smart TVs and cable boxes should be banned from assisted living complexes!:laugh::cry: I loathe computer/techno issues. At work isn't so bad, as I'm paid to sit there. At home? Forget it. I get VERY ANGRY! for someone else? No way!  Just no.  But DH asked. He has been able to figure out a few things, but not this. 45 min later, I somehow managed to hit the correct buttons and unplug/replug the proper things in the proper place. <Halo> Just don't ask me to do it again! I *think* the stupid friggen TV was updating and got interrupted And messed everything up. Blech. But it works for the moment... At least until they lose and/or swap remotes again...:laugh::cry:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Tiny triumphs on Tuesday (Dailies)