Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Dumpster fire Monday
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 10:37 AM
I love the term "dumpster fire" to describe things that are going very, very wrong. What are some of your favorite colloquialisms or turns of phrase?

Plus your weekend workouts, today's workout, and what's for dinner.

Bonus: Have you voted yet or are you voting tomorrow?
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-05 12:15 PM
no running today, so I did some core and some strength stuff (squats, pull-ups, man-makers, etc).
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:58 PM
I did man makers today too. Those are tough!
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:15 PM
Extremely tough! I always think "wow, these aren't so bad" for the first two, and then by the fourth one I am shaking and thinking there is no way I can do another. I did three sets of 5 because that's all I can do in one set!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 2:32 PM
I did 12 so you beat me. :laugh:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-05 1:33 PM
Sort of crappy short runs this weekend but with yesterday's fabulous weather it was all good. A short 4 miles out on the washed out trails of Green Lane on Saturday. Friday's night crazy storms dumped tons of rain. It was crazy windy as well. Yesterday was a picture perfect fall day and "ran" 7 miles with the Lady out on the trails of Birdsboro Watershed. I figured it would be a slow run so I took some photos of the Lady in all her fall glory.

LadyB close up by reservoir

LadyB w/trail and stream

LadyB posing in the shade

Today, just gym stuff at lunch. Day off from running. Need to re-adjust my schedule to standard time. Typically that means more lunchtime running.

Phrase. Hmm. Private one holer. If you can find one of these before a big race it's awesome.

Dinner will be left over pot roast. I made a crockpot chuck roast yesterday with potatoes, carrots, and gravy of course. Plenty left over for seconds tonight.

Bonus: Yes, of course. Voting tomorrow.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 1:47 PM
wow, great pics!! Love Birdsboro! Maybe some day I'll get out there for a run again. Glad you made it out in the amazing weather this weekend. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't leave the house :blush:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:48 PM
Great pics :hug::hug:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:15 PM
Nice pics!
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 3:25 PM
I love her perfect side circle. :hug:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:10 AM
The neighbor girls up the street call her "brown spot".  :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:42 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-05 4:53 PM
Near Hopewell Furnace, right?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:12 AM
Yes, Hopewell is 4-5 miles down the road, maybe 6-8 by trail.  :cool:

The trails with Birdsboro Watershed, French Creek, and Hopewell are all interconnected via the horseshoe trail.
Parent - By indie [us] Date 2018-11-05 7:57 PM
Great pics. Dogs always seem so happy out on trails. <3
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2018-11-05 8:47 PM
Awesome pictures - that dog looks like a runner !
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:13 AM
She used to run 3-4 hours with me, but now we keep it at 2 hours max.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 10:55 AM
:hug:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 10:50 AM
My work day is a dumpster fire so far. :laugh: I have to laugh because it's something I have been warning upper management about since January, it only got escalated in May, and now things are coming to a head and we might lose a large amount of business. If only there was some warning early on that things were going wrong. :wtf:

Another turn of phrase I like is "a dog's breakfast". It makes me laugh.

Saturday I had a long run fail. I set out for 15 and decided at 2 miles to turn around and only ended up with 5 on the day. I just felt horrid. But that's still better than yesterday when I felt off overall and didn't get out at all for a run. I decided instead to do an hour of yoga followed by some push-ups and planks. So at least I did something. And I'm so out of shape that I am sore today from that little workout!

To redeem myself, I got up extra early today and ran 10 miles before work. What a difference 2 days makes. I ran my usual 5-mile loop twice, thinking I could bail after one loop if I felt awful again. But instead I felt really good and pushed the pace for the last 4 miles and averaged 30-50sec/mile faster for those miles, with my last mile being the fastest. So yay for that.

Dinner is TBD, I am heading to the grocery store after work so I will pick up something easy.

Bonus: I always vote on my morning run and I am definitely voting tomorrow!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:17 AM
Love that you vote on your run! Cool tradition.

Sorry you had a long run fail, but wtg on 10 miles on a Monday!! :cool: sounds like you had a great run, so bagging the Saturday run was the right choice!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:20 AM
nice run today! Sometimes it isn't worth it to try to push through.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-05 1:36 PM
Sounds like your body wanted a break this weekend and taking the rest paid dividends today. Runs like that are the best.

Sounds like a real shitstorm at work!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:57 PM
Nice run this a.m.

I wish I could run to the poll tomorrow. If T can take the kids, I might be able to. It's not far from me but I have an 8 a.m. meeting at school so it may be a logistics thing.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 3:24 PM
Nice run!
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:15 AM Edited 2018-11-05 11:18 AM
I love “dumpster fire.” I hope tomorrow’s election is a little less dumpster fire-y than, say, 2016’s.

45 min hill power walk with a few run intervals on the TM. 3 miles total. Also did my postpartum core routine which I’m doing (mostly) daily. Only takes 10min so really no excuse to skip it.

For dinner: we are still reaping the benefits of generous friends who have cooked for us and my mother’s cooking when she was visiting. We will have cornbread (made by mom), pulled pork (made by a friend), and salad (my sole cooking contribution to the meal). Yum, and so grateful for all of our kind and generous friends and family.

Bonus: voting tomorrow. I love the ritual of going to the polling place on Election Day. Bringing both P and E with me, then doing some phone banking from home. Little E is 4 wks old today :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:56 PM
Nice workout! Glad to see you back! :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 3:23 PM
:happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:42 PM
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:20 AM
I like saying things are a shit storm.
N has a few funny ones, I wish I could think of some now.

Today I ran 6.1, it was decent, not great. 12 yesterday so I was tired. I hate the dark evenings with the time change, but it is nice to run in the light mornings!

Dinner is Lentil Tacos. N has violin tonight at 6:30 so we are juggling things around

I already voted. I am traveling to CA tomorrow so would have had to vote absentee no matter what. I also am glad that it is done and I don't have to worry about lines, etc. Now I just stress out and wait. I will be following by myself in my hotel room tomorrow night, probably stress-eating my way through the mini bar.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-05 1:38 PM
Perhaps they will have some champagne for you in that mini bar.  :hopeful:

Love the term shit storm!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:56 PM
I don't like the dark evenings much either BUT I do like the light mornings. :grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:43 PM
Light in the mornings is the only good thing about the time change
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-05 11:22 AM Edited 2018-11-05 11:25 AM
I like "yard sale" like the last time I rolled my ankle and wiped out...it was a complete yard sale.  Also "pump your tires"........it's not my job to pump your tires.

Today the hour change did very little to brighten our 6am run.  It was starting to lighten up at the end and we might start doing 6:30am start times.  It was 9km with 3 dogs and a friend.
  It was really rainy at the end so the Molly walk/hike is delayed...and she's snoring right beside me so "let sleeping dogs lie".  Not to take it literal but if you're a dog that motto sucks.  Well ….for Molly anyway.

I voted a couple weeks ago for the local school trustees only because my buddy has a kid in school and didn't want certain idiots to win so I said I'd help out the non-idiots.  Our local representative won by acclimation so I couldn't vote for that position. 

As for you Americans it will be interesting.  I was wrong about Donald T becoming the Republican rep...and then the Pres.....so I'm not expecting him to lose much in the mid-terms.  I guess my finger is really not on the pulse of what the people want.  I should add I don't really care for any politician as they all seem to be self serving jerks (some bigger than others) as almost everything is driven by money and not the decency to do the right thing for a population.

Dinner is likely stir fry. :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:55 PM
I like yard sale! :grin:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-05 2:18 PM
I'll let you know next time I have one :hug:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:14 PM
We used Yard Sale for a big crash when we used to go skiiing downhill and the skis and poles would go all over the place.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-05 2:19 PM
Yeah, I think it comes from my ski days :hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:43 PM
yard sale is a good one!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-05 7:28 PM
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:31 AM
I like the term clusterfu@$ to describe a similar situation.  In my small working world of indoor cycling class, our bike maintenance right now is a clusterfu@$!  :mutmad:

I taught spin class this morning and did the usual core, hip & shoulder exercises afterwards. 

Dinner will be shrimp over angel hair pasta :hug:   

Last night at about 8pm I heard a loud noise that sounded as if it came from the room above me.  My DW was upstairs at the time and my first thought was she dropped something or it was her that drooped :shocker!:  It took my 2nd time yelling "Are you ok?" for her to hear me & respond but there was a bit of high anxiety for a seconds or two as I was running upstairs!  Anyway, we checked all around the 2nd floor and outside the house for the cause and could find nothing :wtf:   Within 20 minutes several friends started posts on Facebook (a source of actual news this time!) which revealed the sound & vibration were felt in a fairly widespread area.  The first theory was a sonic boom but it turned out to be a natural gas explosion that completely destroyed a thankfully unoccupied home, a 9,000 sq foot, $3.5M home, in a town 20 miles away across the Delaware River in PA!

I'm voting tomorrow morning!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:45 AM
Wow, you could hear it all the way in south Jersey?
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-05 12:31 PM
Yep, it was crazy!  Something about the atmospheric conditions being right for the sound & vibration to travel.  I saw a photo posted of one of the local TV meteorologists explaining how that happens.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 1:47 PM
:shocker!: I didn't hear it and I'm way closer to Gladwyne than you are. Possibly the screams of toddler and newborn drowned it out.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:28 PM
Newborns scream :shocker!:   ...DD is due in just under 2 months and when she goes back to work, 12 weeks + or - after that, DW and I have volunteered to do granddaughter day care so I guess there will be screaming newborn in my future.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:24 PM
hopefully the worst of it will be over by 12 weeks - she'll be somewhat out of the newborn phase by then!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:55 PM
Whoa. I wonder what that sounded like closer. :shocker!:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-05 2:53 PM
:shocker!:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 3:15 PM
Wow!!!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:44 PM
:shocker!::shocker!:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:36 AM
I like the term "dumpster fire", I also use often "shit show"... mostly at work :roll:

Weekend workouts: 2 bike rides - 1 hill repeat and the second was longish with hills, but nothing too crazy. I also got to the pool on Saturday, easy swim. I planned to go on Sunday as well, but decided to wash my car instead.

Today's workout: I already run 2.5 miles, will do some weights after work.

Dinner tonight: grilled salmon, brown rice and green beans. Our standard (easy) meal :happy:

Bonus: I can't vote yet, waiting for citizenship to go trough. It's been longer than predicted, 8 months already and it may take more than 1 year. :meh:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-05 11:57 AM
Shit show has become a work fallback for me, too. :meh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:54 PM
:cool: nice workouts!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:00 PM
Lately, shit show has described my work situation quite a bit!
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-05 11:48 AM Edited 2018-11-05 11:56 AM
My entire workplace these days is a dumpster fire/shit show. I feel like something has to happen soon one way or another, because the situation isn't sustainable. :meh: It all makes me sad. I'm job-hunting pretty actively, but actually really like what I do here and believe in what we're doing. I just can't be part of a very small crew when half of them are simply toxic.

17.25 mi on Saturday (I was tempted to go a little longer, but I started the run in a downpour, it finally cleared up, and then started raining again when I was pretty close to home ...)
10 mi on Sunday
7.4 mi this morning

Not sure what's for dinner tonight. We have some leftover soup that should get eaten, plus some cauliflower tikka masala, but I have ingredients to make a dish of red lentils topped with roasted root vegetables. I'm thinking the lentils can wait til tomorrow, and we can finish the soup tonight.

Voting tomorrow.
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-05 12:06 PM
You describing my work place and I'm also actively looking. Sad since I had big hopes for this place.
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 12:51 PM
great running! sorry to hear about your workplace. Your food options sound awesome! Is the cauliflower tikka masala homemade? if so, I'd love to see the recipe.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-06 12:04 PM
Here's that recipe!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:53 PM
Yikes on the job front. I'm sorry. :sad:

Nice runs! :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:07 PM
That's some nice mileage!

Mmmmm... Everything you eat always sounds like it came straight out of your magazine.:laugh:
- - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-11-05 11:56 AM
So today is a scheduled day off

Saturday-  very slow 4 miles
Sunday- very slow 3 miles
Plus west coast swing dancing on Friday and Saturday nights.

Favorite colloquialisms.  I'll skip the spicier ones I learned in the army
but.  LIke Dog's breakfast..... Cat's pajamas
I taught my 2 year old niece (who's now 14) to say Caddlywampus.  (similar to dumpster fire in meaning) and she still uses it.
In SF we now make fun of "Brogrammers"-- (I took an dance class in SF and every single male in the class but me was an apps developer)

And I will share a family tale (from long before my birth).  My family is extremely religious and swearing is frowned upon (except by black sheep in the family like me).  But occasionally my father needed to swear so he would use substitute words (a practice that came from old vaudeville shows).  My two favorites were "Son of a biscuit" and "Judas Priest."  So sometime in the 50's my mom who didn't drive goes grocery shopping with a 3 year old and a baby.  She manages to get groceries, toddler and baby back home but as she is juggling those things while trying to get to her keys to open the door she drops the grocery bags.  This is the 50's so there are many glass jars which shatter and spray spaghetti sauce etc all over the porch.  When the dust settles a tiny voice says.  "Biscuits Mommy?"
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 12:51 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: son of a biscuit...
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-05 1:42 PM
:laugh::laugh:

I've heard son of a biscuit before. I think my grandma.  :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:52 PM
:laugh::laugh: love the family tale
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-05 2:50 PM
:laugh:

I will have to use son of a biscuit. I've heard that before...
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:09 PM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:45 PM
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-11-05 8:25 PM
That would be my father too :laugh:   I remember being told not to say heck because it was really just like saying hell basically.  Ah well, its not my philosophy but no complaints about my up bringing very fortunate to have the parents that I did.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 12:02 PM Edited 2018-11-05 12:17 PM
Hi!
I typically say shit show or cluster fuck. : pbbt: I just got new shoes. I'm not 100% sold on them but I'm going to give them a fair shot. :grin:  Oh my gosh, our neighbors are also a shit show. They live somewhat behind us on what might as well be fraternity row. Saturday, the party started at 11 a.m. 4 port o potties and an amazingly loud speaker (we couldn't even be outside in our back yard) I am not one to complain about a party but when it's still going well past kick off and there is chanting with cussing (fuck, shit, bitch :wtf:) also girls relieving themselves in the backyard directly behind us... we were over it. We ended up calling the cops and it took them forever to come but we have to document it through the police to complain to the university.

I ran 4.2 today followed by some man makers, 42 burpees, 42 KB swings and sauna. It was a good workout after yesterday's 7.3.

For dinner, we're having pasta with garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts and roasted red peppers. :hug:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 12:50 PM
omg, that party! :cry: these ARE college students, right? Not that you shouldn't complain, just that it would be pretty shocking if actual adults were behaving like this.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:49 PM
Yes, they're college students.  :cry::laugh: We're just highly annoyed. I get that we live near a campus and this is part of it but to rent port o potties and professional grade speakers is taking it to a different level IMO.

And we've already gotten a bottle of wine and an apology letter from the first two obscene parties.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:46 PM
that is definitely a different level!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 1:11 PM
Ugh!  I am sorry about the party.  The house next door got foreclosed on and sold to a douche who violated city code and rented to 5-6 college kids for awhile.  You can only rent to 3 if it’s a single family home.  The first year it was essentially the football team’s clubhouse, and the second year wasn’t much better.  We called the police all of the time, and also got the uni president involved.  The uni was wonderful BTW!  Of course, our school is a dinky DIII school - not like yours! The parties sucked, but the worst was they had a continual flow of different people coming/going all day/night starting around 10am – and they would often block our driveway.  We can’t see it’s blocked until we get down the driveway and are then stuck between 2 retaining walls.  And I don’t have time to wait 45 min for a tow!  Douche finally sold it last summer to a rental company from a town 2-3 hours away.  I am guessing he lied to them about the rental income and they learned they can’t have more than 3… because it’s been vacant since and listed for sale.  We don’t care and are mostly thrilled, except the place looks like a shit show.  When the first group moved out they left the side door open for 2 weeks – there was garbage knee deep in the kitchen and holes in the wall and dog shit on the floor in other areas.  The same door blew open during the storm (3+ weeks ago) and nobody has shut it. Last night, I finally called the realtor company listed and let them know.  I’m sure wild animals have taken hold.  It might be an improvement.  Very sad.  We took care of it for a couple of years before the foreclosure.  The previous owners oved to Thailand for family reasons and just couldn’t sell it.   It was a very nice house! :sad:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:50 PM
Wow! What a bummer. :cry:
We've got a house in our hood violating the overlay - I know more than 3 unrelated live there... but they've bucked the system and got all 5 of them listed as owners on the tax rolls. :mutmad:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:39 PM
Our yard backs up to the local Little League (Cal Ripken league actually)...T Ball home plate is <10 yards from our fence but only 1 of the 3 fields has a speaker system and that's mostly batter announcements and of course the Star Spangled Banner before every game.  The development swim club is just beyond the baseball fields and every so often on a summer weekend night they will have a DJ but it's not overly loud and shuts down by 9pm. 

Several decades ago a rookie on the Philadelphia Flyers lived tow houses down the street from us.  One night he had teammates over and there were a LOT of expensive vehicles on the street!  He got a "real" contract the next year and found a much more expensive home :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:15 PM
Hmmm... loud speakers, cursing, and people peeing in people's yard... Are you sure it wasn't a marathon?: pbbt:

Your dinner sounds excellent!
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 11:07 AM
Yikes! Girls peeing outside... boys I would expect, but ugh.

meatless Monday?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-06 11:27 AM
Yeah, we still try to do that when we can!
I could do meatless more often but not sure I can convince the others.
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 12:30 PM
Dumpster fire is good. Dirtyratbastard is good.

Saturday I did a race a few hours from home called Mendon Ponds trail runs. Loop course 10k 20k 30k 50k. Hiked the first loop, ran hiked the second loop for the 20k. Went up with a friend and saw some other friends there. I've run the 50k there a couple times. It was cold and rainy to start but the trails were in remarkably good shape. I was kinda bumming on the first loop because it is a very runnable course and I've had some good runs there and I just wanted to be running on the gentle rollers that make up the course. Eventually the beauty of everything took over and I felt better. Running through golden corridors. It was pretty incredible. Nice stop at a brewery for a bite to eat after.

Easy 6 miler yesterday and my butt felt surprisingly ok given it was uncomfortable to sit in the car after Mendon. Also got some perennials cut down later in the day.

My neighbor behind me died last week and the wake was yesterday. It's been sad to see him and his wife decline in recent years. I helped them from time to time with various yard chores and capturing their dogs when they would escape.

A bunch of car break ins on my road last night apparently. Mine was in the garage but my neighbors had left their cars unlocked and they had been gone through along with a couple others on the road. We're in a pretty rural area..:sad:

Cereal and bagel for dinner. I'll vote before work tomorrow.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-05 1:46 PM
Sorry about your neighbor.  :sad:

I did not realize you were having running issues still. Sorry. I seem to have 2 good days a week and a bunch of awful ones. At least this week the peak colors in the woods have helped during the awful runs. I can picture your golden corridors. :hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 2:23 PM
It's been a pattern on and off since May. It feels all good for a while and then it gets cranked up for, at least this last time, for no apparent reason. X-ray last week showed my hip and lower back are fine. MRI on Friday. It feels like a nerve/piriformis thing to me. The uncomfortableness sitting during the car ride back from the run..I was expecting yesterday to be awful but it wasn't. I dunno.. mysterious. Anti inflamatories don't seem to touch it..
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-05 2:44 PM
I have a nerve thing (I think) going on in my lower leg, sort of near the calf, achilles, or that long tendon that runs down the outside of the lower leg. Sometimes I don't feel it or can block it out the pain. Add that to a creaky arthritic knee and I'm a mess!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 3:16 PM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:52 PM
Sorry about your neighbor. :sad:
Glad your butt felt okay for your run yesterday!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:11 PM
I liked dirtyratbastard, but a few years ago- actually, almost two years ago to the day:wink:- I shortened it to fu*ker and have just used that for everything since.

Sad about your neighbors. My MIL is still in the hospital, and seeing her with the dementia after how she was just 5 or 6 years ago- she had one of the best vocabularies of anyone I've ever known!- yeah, just sad to see the decline in people.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 3:21 PM
Yeah, Tom (neighbor) had dementia in the end. The last few months were spent in a nursing home but his wife and SIL took care of him at home for quite a while. I remember when I first moved up there (2003), they were always our walking their dogs in all kinds of weather. They always adopted rescue dogs. And they have some kitties too. One of the dogs is blind now. The other quite old. I hope she has a plan for the kitties.. She has a lot of mobility issues. Not sure what the plan is for how long she will stay in the house. Always been hard for them to accept help but the last couple years, one of my other neighbors has mowed their yard and she has someone come to to yard poop scoop.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:04 PM
:sad:

Just spoke to Philip. He thinks his mom is on the way out. He's trying to get his dad on board with hospice care, it's so hard.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 4:06 PM
:hug: Hope his dad will get on board. It will really help.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 5:00 PM
This is my MIL. She ran the house. She took care of everything, even mechanical stuff. But if it was crafty, she could do it.  She even learned how to do stained glass in her 60s. Cake decorating? No problem. She did all the calligraphy for my wedding invitations. When we moved into this house, she took apart all of my 40+ windows and cleaned them - getting out on our porch roof even. She even took off our brass doorknobs and polished them. She could do anything. And now she looks like the wind would blow her away. And she couldn't even figure out when a light in their fan went out, that she should try a new bulb. :sad: and the memory is just gone. So awful. :sad: I'm sorry you are going through the same thing. :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 5:23 PM
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 6:09 PM
I hear you. My dad had Alzheimer's. He was diagnosed relatively young at 70. He was an attorney who was famous for his speaking skill. Watching him struggle- and fail- to recall the word for "attorney" when the doctor in the nursing home asked him what he did for a living, it was heart-breaking. Even worse than when the doctor asked him if he had any children and he said no, and I was standing right there in the room. I think he just didn't understand the question and was trying to fake an answer. He died 10 years ago at 75, but I'll never forget that!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 6:19 PM
:cry: it's a sh!tty disease.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 5:01 PM
I am sorry about your neighbor. :sad::hug: and some people just suck (the stealing ones).
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 1:11 PM
Shit show is my favorite term. :grin:  I used it all the time for awhile. I wouldn’t say my life feels like a shit show at them moment, but I’m highly stressed about a ton of things that need doing.  I feel like I need a week’s vacation to sit in the dark in my house with nobody around.

Today’s easy outside run got messed up due to pouring rain.  Ran the w/u outside mostly under shopping center awnings, and then did an hour on the TM increase pace every mile.  It was hot in there and it didn’t feel easy :meh: Then I lifted a chest & tri video that went OK.   I never feel good when storms blow through and today is no exception.  Blech.

I have already voted.  I did absentee voting for the first time ever and am quite proud of myself.  :cool:  Tomorrow, I take DS2 up to a college to meet with a prof and student in his desired major.   I kept going back/forth whether or not to go up at the ass crack of dawn tomorrow, or to spend the night.  Jacob wanted to be at soccer from 6-8 both nights, so we would have been leaving awfully late for the 3:30 drive.  But then we are supposed to have severe t-storms tomorrow morning… so I opted for going up the night before.  Then soccer tonight got nixed for an ACE team match (he’s on science team) over an hour away in the very rural mountains, so I toyed with picking him up there around 8-9pm and driving over the rural mountain road and then up I81 (not my favorite interstate!) in the dark.  I thought I settled on that until I came home from the gym.  Now, we are back to tomorrow morning.  Gak.  I don’t do well winging things at the last minute.  I just hope the storms are not too bad and short in duration.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:51 PM
Glad you got your run done even though not great circumstances!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-05 3:22 PM
Sorry about all the stress :sad:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 6:03 PM
Stress sucks.:sad:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 1:54 PM
"When the shit hits the fan" for those situations where everything spins out of control. SNAFU or FUBAR'ed also works. My mother had some great Yiddish words for crazy people you work with- farkocht was one.

6.5 miles this morning before the rain started.:happy: I felt so motivated after watching NYCM yesterday.:laugh: I'm even toying with doing the 9+1 program, starting in January, to get into NYCM for 2020.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-05 1:58 PM
:cool::cool: Nice run!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:04 PM
Thanks, it felt really good!
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:42 PM
One of my running club friends, who has been unsuccessful for a few years in the NYC lottery, is talking about doing the 9 + 1 thing to get in.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:02 PM
I never got in through the lottery either.:meh: I'm torn though, because I've done NYCM 3 times already. The race itself is pretty awesome overall, but the logistics-catching the bus at the buttcrack of dawn, hanging out for 3-4 hours before your corral is called- suck, especially if the weather isn't good. OTOH, it is my local race...
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:40 PM
I'm glad I took the opportunity to run it when I did in 2006.  My half marathon PW at the time was faster than the NYC Marathon auto-qualifier for a 50-59 y/o but I was on the decline and made the time on a pretty challenging course in the previous March by just a few minutes.  Then I noticed a bump on the side of my bad knee over the summer but ran thru it so I could do NYC :roll:   Had it checked out after and it was "debris"...a calcified chip of bone or meniscus + a smaller one under my kneecap I didn't know about before the X Ray :roll::roll:  Ortho surgeon, who is a runner, was astounded I ran the marathon with it...and with the amount of arthritis in my knee.  After surgery he told me "No more half marathons or Broad Streets!"  I "only" ran 1 more half and 4 more Broad Streets and three more marathons after that. :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 5:34 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-05 5:26 PM
I was sort of bummed I wasn’t running it yesterday. Thinking about going after a time qualifier in a half next month for 2019. I’m pretty sure I can get the NQ
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 6:00 PM
You should totally do it! I wasn't close enough to a half Q even when I was at my fastest, which was 6 years ago. I've slowed down so much in the last few years.:sad:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 5:02 PM
Nice run!:happy:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 6:00 PM
Thanks!
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-05 2:13 PM
9 trail miles before work.

We took advantage of the extra light this morning and did a full loop at the trails. Our big group trail run is in about 2 weeks and it had been a while (July) since we had done a full loop so wanted to get in some practice. It was a good thing as there were a few new sections of trail or places where the trail has been diverted around a downed tree. We will do the loop in reverse next week just in case we are feeling good on “race” day and want to do the 2 loop option as the second loop is run in the opposite direction.

The older I get, the more I end up using the term Brain Fart. It happens more frequently than I would like.

Dinner tonight will be leftovers as it is a rehearsal night and I won’t get home until after 10.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:06 PM
Oh, "Brain Fart" is one of my faves! I forgot about that one this morning.:roll:: pbbt:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-05 5:03 PM
Lol. Brain fart! I use that one a lot for myself :blush:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-05 2:43 PM
Dumpster fire is great! I will have to use it for the new IT model at work. :meh: This system debuted when i was on vacation and it's still a shit show (which is what i would typically call such a thing). Some funny phrases i like: like a duck on a june bug (english teacher from teh south used this, we'd never heard of it), for land's sakes (my grandmother used this one).

Still not running but had some good workouts this weekend. Strength stuff saturday and then went to teh pool and was able to get in an hour of pool running plus 4 laps of just swimming. The pool running was good because i was using a pair of wireless headphones and a case to keep my phone nearby and waterproofed. Having something to listen to was fantastic! I did 4 laps of swimming and got all kinds of water stuck in my ear and remembered why i'm not fond of swimming. :roll: it's very hard to find time in the pools around here where i can actually pool run. they don't allow the flotation vest during lap swimming. :meh: yesterday, i biked 90 minutes on the trainer.

This morning was 30 minutes on the rower plus 40 minutes of strength training. My foot is feeling much better and i am tempted to try running. if i can make it through a couple full days of work in a regular shoe (i've been wearing a shoe boot) without it hurting, i may try this weekend. (I think it'll bother me towards the end of the day truthfully :sad:). it helps that the weather has been pissy around here. It's been fine to be inside for workouts. :laugh:

dinner is grilled salmon and a quinoa salad from costco. I added some pasta and roasted beets to the salad and it's quite tasty. 

WA state is all absentee ballot. I voted yesterday and will mail today.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:21 AM
Hope you are running soon!
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-11-05 3:27 PM
I like "it's a monkey's wedding!", a Britishism used when it is raining even though the sun is shining.

3.1 miles for me this morning.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:20 AM
Those Brits... so snarky!  :laugh:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:10 PM
Shit show and clusterfkkk are spewed by me quite bit. As for something a bit more sexy, I like "Not my monkeys, not my circus.":laugh:

51 minutes on the elliptical this morning, will go to boxing class tonight.

On Saturday, I ran a faster than planned half marathon. My goal was just to be MP + something with no breaks. When I run with the skinny blondes, we stop to pet dogs, whenever someone wants to GU, and whatever. As I believe long runs are about time on your feet, that is fine. But, I wanted shakeout run before next week's marathon. ANYHOO, didn't run as a race, but ran about 1:00 faster a mile than I should have. And for the second time in a row with this race company, my chip did not register and I would have placed in my AG. Today, I decided to email the RD and let him know this happened TWICE in two months.....I sent him my Strava info so he knew I wasn't too crazy. I also t.d him it wasn't a big deal as this wasn't a Real Problem, simply annoying. He emailed me back, apologized and offered me a free race. So that was nice!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-05 4:50 PM
Very cool on the free race! But WTF is up with your chips not registering?

Love "not my monkeys, not my circus!" :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-05 6:13 PM
Free race!:cool: It always pays to complain!:laugh:

Love that expression.:laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:19 AM
I thought it was "not my rodeo" in Texas?!  : pbbt:

Great race!  :cool:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-06 11:10 AM
Not my monkeys, not my circus is a great one!
- - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-05 4:59 PM Edited 2018-11-05 5:01 PM
Pretty much a dumpster fire here, too.  One person in tech support is on vacation today, which leaves me with the slow complainer.  We started out with 40+ emails in the cue (was below 10 when I left on Friday, so 30+ coming in over the weekend/early Monday, which isn't too bad).  I got it down to 20 before slow guy came in.  I took a short break and it ballooned up to 40 again.  Got it down to the 20s then went out for my 4 mile lunch run.  When I came back, emails back around 45 with one email where slow complainer seemed to reply, throwing me under the bus with my recent response to the customer (I let slow guy know he was full of shit).  Slow guy went to lunch and I got it back down below 30 before he came back.  I had to go look up some parts/info and it's back up around 40 again.  Now I say WTF??!

I'm staying over 2 hours to just work on emails now.  The other guy who was off today has had enough of slow guy, too.

4 mile run was OK, but a bit blustery.  With the help of a bird watcher, I saw two Great Horned Owls near one of the lakes I run near.  Hopefully not as windy tomorrow.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:18 AM
Cool on the owls. I hear them sometimes, but am not patient enough to stop and look for them, plus I don't typically run with binoculars. One sort of lame trail nearby I would hear on hooting most every evening last year.

The lazy dude you work with sounds awful. :cry:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-06 7:57 AM
Yes he is awful.  Hoping he retires soon.  He walks around with this privileged attitude all the time.  World revolves around him.

I see the bird watcher all the time.  He is a serious almost professional.  Has a telephoto lens/digital camera about as long as my arm.  I told him about a golden eagle I spotted this weekend in my more semi-urban area.  Also told him to go down to the creek down the hill from my development (about a mile from my home) to spot bald eagles.  They migrate south to our area and stay from November to about February to nest (assuming they come down from northern Canada/Alaska).  I've gone running there in the winter and spotted at least half a dozen bald eagles one year.
- - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-05 5:28 PM
16 yesterday morning with the last 4 miles at 6:53 pace. It was pretty controlled, good run overall. Recovery 4 miles tonight followed by some weights and core.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:16 AM
:cool:
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-11-05 8:22 PM
Happy Monday,

This project is fubar'd   Cluster F.   Shit show are all ones that I've used especially when I used to work in software development.   Inevitably there was a project manager who knew nothing outside their realm of microsoft project lol....  I don't miss it at all.  Non-stop changing requirements and crazy clients and a never changing project chart.   Looking back it was so funny because we would have these meetings to report percentage complete on a weekly meeting and inevitably everyone would get to 85 percent complete and then go like 1 percent per week for months lol...  The good old days.

Anyhoo on the running front I'm in my usual winter scale back mode where I only run a few 3 milers a week mostly on the treadmill with maybe a outside run once a week.   Just doing some basic gym workouts so nothing to report lately.  No voting for me.   I could probably do an absentee vote but don't live in the US anymore and have kind of written off the US at this point (sorry).
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-06 7:16 AM
That last 15% always takes so long, heck infinity sometimes.

Your view on the US sounds liberating.
- By N70SAK Date 2018-11-05 9:11 PM
Mission Peak ride in the evening, 10.8 miles.:happy:
- By sideshowbob Date 2018-11-07 3:22 PM
How about “ what a revolting development this is “ ?
Habitat all morning , finishing a house siding job. Afeter dinner , 3 Gallo miles with a close bud while discussing the midterms .
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Dumpster fire Monday