Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Spam free Fridalies
- - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 10:42 AM
*All* of the forums are spam free - well expect for a few spam messages that received worth keeping responses.  Most of the forums had so much spam that they became unusable.  Of course, now that they're spam free, no one is using them.  Hopefully we can keep on top of cleaning up what is currently just the occasional message to continue to give you the forums you came to know and love.

What did you do today - activity or otherwise?

When do you start to plan your Thanksgiving dinner?   Do you order anything (fresh turkey, lamb, etc.) ahead of time or just get everything at the store a few days before hand?
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-02 11:24 AM
8.3 miles. Ran on some new roads and was feeling good so I ran hard a few times; I guess you could call it a fartlek? Lovely weather: about 50 degrees and overcast.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:34 PM
Sounds like a fartlek to me!
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-02 1:14 PM
Ran 4 miles at lunch time.

My favorite pair of shorts just gave up the ghost.  They are a pair of 100% nylon Columbia cargo shorts.  I like nylon as it lasts almost forever.  Any other material eventually shreds at the crotch from my legs rubbing together.  These lasted about 12 years.  I've purchased 3 other similar pairs at REI (Sahara) and they've been good too.  With these Columbia shorts, the inseam came loose and I was going to sew them, but now the zipper died, so they are done.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:36 PM
I have four pairs of a particular Nike short which I always wear.  I have worn them for about 4-5 years and can not find them ANYWHERE anymore.....including the interwebs.  Some day, they will all be so worn and unwearable that I may just need to give up running.:laugh:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-05 7:19 AM
My first "long shorts" for running -- 9 inch inseam (I like longer shorts as they don't ride up on me) were Nike Cairn II shorts.  I think I still have them.  I think the crotch inseam gave out on them.  I might try to find them and give them another try.  But they might have had a built in belt that also died.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 3:58 PM
I'm sorry! I have several ancient clothing items. I will be heartbroken when they have to be tossed.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2018-11-05 7:21 AM
I've never had anything like this last so long for running.  I have a couple of ski jackets and snow pants, but I don't wear them all the time like running clothes.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-11-02 3:26 PM
Thanks for cleaning. :happy:

Today it was another 5 miles along the river at lunchtime with a few capitol steps. As for Thanksgiving, we just get everything at the store a few days before.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-02 5:49 PM
7 miles this evening on my regular loop out Coventry Woods. Had the mindset to run hard and finished up in 69 minutes. A very good time for me these days on this hilly trail route. Last run in the evening before DST ends. Hey.. it was a good one.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-02 11:06 AM
I did a 10km tempo on the treadmill listening to the top 25 songs shuffling on my ipod.  Obviously the music was outrageously good.:hug:
Now off to get some groceries and some kind of river adventure with Molly :hug:

***WARNING CANADIAN CONTENT***

Isn't it a little early to be posting about Thanksgiving? :laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:37 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 1:38 PM
It's either too early, or tragically late.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 3:59 PM
:laugh:! (I need to be Canadian for the next month :happy:)
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-02 11:17 AM
5 miles last night. I don't know if it was the big hill I ran twice, but I was exhausted by the end of the run. :wtf: TBD on running tonight, it will be weather-dependent. 15 miles on tap for tomorrow.

Last year we hosted Thanksgiving for my extended family since they were up visiting for my wedding that weekend. :hug: We ordered a bunch of pre-cooked food, basically turkey and all the fixins. When I host a smaller crowd, I get everything I need from the grocery the weeks leading up to the holiday. Not sure what we are doing this year...my brother and his family are potentially going to the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, so we have invited them for dinner, but they probably won't solidify their plans until the week of. :roll: We don't get DH's kids until that night, so it might just turn out to be me and DH eating turkey sandwiches and watching football after our 8k race that morning.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:54 PM
I blame the big hills.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:00 PM
Probably the hills :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-02 5:47 PM
Update: not going to run tonight. I'm still at work. It's 7:45. :cry: Will head home at 8 at the latest but I'm just going to eat dinner when I get there.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-02 11:58 AM
I did my usual core, hip & shoulder exercises at the gym this morning and then swam 1600 meters.

We're hosting Thanksgiving this year and will pre-order fresh turkey from the very local Whole Foods.  We'll get the remaining ingredients for dinner in the week or so prior to Thanksgiving. 

While I was at the gym this morning, my boss/our group exercise coordinator confirmed that we will be getting the less than 2 year old bikes from our parent organization's center that's closing after Dec. 31.  Ours will be 6 years old one month from now so it's a considerable improvement.  I also found out from an instructor I know at the center that's closing, that they recently received the bike monitors from our other center that got new bikes a few months ago.  These will be a significant upgrade from those currently on our bikes as they display a power (or watts) reading in addition to RPMs.  All we have now is an RPM readout and HR display if the rider wears a Polar monitor.  The power/watts display provides some additional methods for teaching and allows students to compare their effort/fitness from one ride to another.  Can't wait!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:55 PM
Yay for fancy bikes!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:01 PM
Cool deal on the "new" bikes!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 4:02 PM
Will all the bikes be calibrated properly? If not, be prepared for a lot of bitchin' and moaning when everyone's power is drastically different!:laugh:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-03 5:27 AM
Everyone's power will be drastically different anyway based on the wide variety of fitness level, physique and especially effort! 

Calibration?  So, when our original center upgraded their bikes with these monitors, they hired a Schwinn master trainer to come in and teach all their instructors in what amounted to a remedial instructor certification but including how to teach with power/watts.  They offered available seats (bikes) to those of us from the other two centers and I took the training.  He made a comment that all the bikes should be calibrated every three months.  I have mentioned that comment to my boss but it remains to be seen if anyone above her with the "power"<--see what I did there? to have someone qualified to do that, actually do it, remains to be seen!
- - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-02 12:24 PM
"I'm havin' Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans and Spam."

about a 3 mile hike and 20:00 running. I went to Aliso Creek to avoid cars and smokers and got heat and dust. :meh:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-02 12:43 PM
I’m havin’ Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, baked beans, Spam and Spam. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-02 12:48 PM
Spam, spam, bacon, and spam
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 4:37 PM
Spammity spam!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:12 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 5:39 PM
Is it still unusually warm where you are too?   It's been in the 70's here.  Hard to make snow under those conditions.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2018-11-02 9:19 PM
It was 34.5C(94F).:mutmad: Each year it gets worse. I wish I could say it was unusual but it's not much warmer than all of October.  It's depressing. We used to go skiing locally when I was a kid, this time of year.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 12:33 PM
Just feeling off in a stressed out way today.  So much misc crap to do, and I’m afraid I’ll forget something major – and realized this morning I DID forget something major…  Able to take care of it and not lose $1800 (for work training).  Blech!  Hoping this afternoon is a bit more relaxed.  It’s making this 21 days of nice very tough! :laugh::cry::laugh:  I’m doing my best to just keep to myself…

Long run yesterday and fast longish run tomorrow => no run today.  But I can’t lift without doing SOME kind of aerobic w/u, so 15 min on the ArcTrainer it was.  I don’t like that thing, but I digress.  Lifting was a 30 min shoulders HIIT video followed by a 30 min Core video.

My thoughts on Thanksgiving are well documented on the forum. :blush:  It’s by far my least favorite holiday.  I hate most all vegetables, turkey is :meh:, ham is better.  Stuffing and mashed potatoes are OK.  And desserts are good, but it’s not like I don’t eat them all the time anyway.  Mostly, I hate how much effort everyone goes through for it and what a big production it all is. And, you MUST ooh and ahh over it and how great it is, when truthfully, I’d just rather order pizza or Chinese.  And forced family togetherness is :cry:  Nobody is happy.  Wherever you go, the other side isn’t happy… and then when you do visit, it’s never long enough, etc.  And I don’t mind visiting people if we DO things, but just sitting in a house doing nothing is anti-fun for me.   BUT!!! This year will be a :happy: for me. At DH’s suggestion (God bless him!!!), he said we should go to DC for a long weekend.  I booked that sucker in 2 min flat.  Just us 4 on a road trip…  that’s my version of a holiday…  WOO HOO!!!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:59 PM
that sounds perfect. We are going to London, since my kiddo has a week off, and I am so happy to not deal with anything else.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:01 PM
:cool:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:13 PM
That sounds awesome!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 4:37 PM
Silly, ordering Chinese is what we do on Christmas!:wink:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-02 12:41 PM
5 miles at noon.

It is raining here so I was stuck on the dreadmill. I was listening to Season 3 of Serial which did make the time a little more bearable. There’s some nice cooler weather behind these storms so I’m hoping it is decent for tomorrow’s long run.

My wife’s family rotates Thanksgiving dinner and it’s our turn to host this year and that will mean about 20 people here for dinner. The other families will bring sides and desserts but we will be doing the main course which will include at least one turkey and other stuff. My wife will stock up as she sees things on sale over the next few weeks.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:15 PM
I haven't started Season 3 yet as I am focusing on lighter podcasts for a while.  I've been too cranky lately to listen to Serial.:meh:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-02 1:18 PM
Happy Friday!

4.2 mile run
42 burpees
14 min. sauna

We will go to my husband's parents for lunch on Thursday and then onto my folks and will probably stay through Saturday. We're the only ones that don't live near his parents or my parents so inevitably, we drive. I get annoyed but I also like to see family. My parents trade off and come see us sometimes but his NEVER do. Such is life. :laugh: Since we drive, we bring easy food.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:42 PM
I love traveling to see my kids, though Fort Lauderdale is a bit of a drive, so if it weren't for a race I run there, maybe I wouldn't make the trip as often as I do.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-02 2:52 PM
I wish my inlaws did! :laugh::cry:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:16 PM
That is nice of you to make the travel effort every year.:hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-02 2:52 PM
:hug:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 1:36 PM
6 miles today.

Thanksgiving at our house is simultaneously easier and more difficult than it used to be now that we're all vegetarian. Previously, I'd make something involving boneless chicken breast (almost always honey-mustard glazed, because that is the only way the kid would eat it), with a small assortment of side dishes. Now the dinner request is generally pasta, and I usually have to spend weeks talking people out of anything beyond a box of spaghetti and a jar of sauce. I'd really love to make a roasted-vegetable tart or something like that, but selling that is the equivalent of pushing a boulder up a hill. Most likely, I will fall back on stuffed shells, which I know are a win, or possibly penne alla vodka. (I can share those recipes, too, if anyone is interested.) One sure-fire hit is dinner rolls, and I love this recipe. Needless to say, no one in the house will eat pumpkin anything but me, so dessert has to be something involving chocolate. (Slim chance I could pitch apple pie for dessert, but no crisps, cobblers, etc.)

This menu drama will repeat for Christmas (good for two holidays in one season!). :laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:19 PM
That tart looks amazing!  Any suggestions as to where to look for a GF crust substitution? Crust is something I haven't been able to quite figure out. We have a couple of GF folks at our Thanksgiving dinner.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 2:30 PM
We also ran GF-crust recipe with that tart! And that tart is truly spectacular. I should make it just because it's so good.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:03 PM
I can see you totally getting into Thanksgiving with all of your fancy cooking  :happy:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:40 PM
After two days of sloth and self-sabotage, I finally got out of the recliner and out for a run: 11 gallo-miles, 10:02/mi avg pace, NB840v3(a)

met dennis, who lives on this gravel road I've been running out-and-backs on for the last two weeks. 
i felt like he wasn't too sure as to what i was doing out there -
he'd drive by, real slow like, sometimes rolling his window down, but not speaking to me.

today, he spoke

he used to run, but has had three hip replacements and one knee replacements
and now he swims and walks

and now i can run by his house and not feel like i'm being watched from a window
:laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:19 PM
Poor Dennis.:sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:04 PM
Aw... Poor Denis. :hug:
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-02 1:48 PM
Friday!:grin:

During lunch I went to REI to pick up few items, grabbed green tea and now I'm back at my desk counting hours until I can go home and enjoy weekend!

No run this morning, re-scheduled till this afternoon - 4-5 miles. I slept in since puppster (rather poopster) was up and pooping at 3 am. then he did his little sprints...No wonder he is in great shape :roll:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:21 PM
The best gift we ever gave ourselves was a dog door.  No more 3:00 am poops (at least dog poops:laugh:) for us!
- - By Limoboss Date 2018-11-02 2:11 PM
5 easy miles today.

Thanksgiving is one big PITA. Days of preparation for a 10 minute meal is ridiculous. Then throw in all the shopping Black Friday nonsense and it makes for a horrible holiday. To make it worse I can’t even get the Friday after off because Fedex doesn’t shut down for more than 1 day at a time. Keep telling my wife we should go out to eat on Thanksgiving and let someone else do the work but she will have none of it.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 2:13 PM
A couple of times, we went out for Thanksgiving dinner. It was kind of fantastic.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:22 PM
My mother would never even consider going out for Thanksgiving even though making the dinner (we she insisted on doing herself as we all made thing "wrong") was so exhausting for her.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 2:39 PM
High five!!! :grin:  Before my MIL/FIL/SIL/BIL had health issues, holidays were insane.  For 12 people they would make – turkey, ham, chicken nuggets, AND steak.  Mashed potatoes, stuffing “dressing,” mac & cheese, various salads, biscuits and rolls.  They would have LITERALLY one dessert pie/cake per person.   There were dishes that nobody even touched.  Once they had health issues, we moved it to Golden Corral.  DH hated it at first.  He loved all the hoopla, but later was OK with it.  Now he doesn’t want to do anything.  This year, we will just take them out to eat the weekend before. I would much rather do that than the big hoopla of a dinner.  My family is more typical IMO, but they do start super early and everything is cooking all day.  If I had to choose that dinner vs pizza, I’d choose pizza in a heartbeat!  Honestly, I’d rather order pizza and go out hiking for the day.  I don’t mind Black Friday shopping because it gets us out of the house.  We don’t do the midnight madness, and also our area is so small so nothing is THAT crazy.  The mall parking lot on Black Friday is still only 2/3 full - and that’s probably generous.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 3:04 PM
Hey! I'm a big believer in the one dessert to person ratio!

The only way I do Black Friday shopping is on the internet!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:04 PM
We could have had you over in the day! :grin:
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:23 PM
I forget to say how much I appreciate the forum, especially the spam-free forum, and how much I appreciate the comments to the spam :laugh::laugh:  Damn, I can never think of those snappy responses. 

My granddaughter is out of surgery and waking up.  The docs were going to try to manage her pain with tylenol but DS said "eff that -- give the kid some relief!"  We are cleared to come visit at 3 pm.  Can't wait.  The tube looks kind of gory, but we are assured it will be better very soon and will be replaced with something even less obtrusive in 8 weeks.  I already figured that will be around Christmas / New Year's, and I'm thinking about interviewing everyone near the OR and questioning when they had their last drink and how much sleep they've had :mutmad:  You thought momma bears were bad.  This is a nanna-bear to be reckoned with :shocker!::rawr: 

As for Thanksgiving, :roll:  I swore a couple of years ago that we would forever more have dinner at Taco Bell on that day, except that's kind of a shitty thing to do to Taco Bell employees.  In 2015, we'd made arrangements for both of our kids and their SO's to be at our house, and the in-laws who lived across the street.  THEN, DH's twin brother announced that he, his wife and two grown kids were going to come too.  It lliterally was almost a riot.  My kids' SO's do NOT get along at all.  My SIL is a very picky eater.  So was my FIL.  Both of the in-laws were deaf and ahem, tone-deaf to what was appropriate table conversation.  There was a plumbing emergency :shocker!::cry:  and then sadly, that was our last holiday together.  Both of the in-laws died the following spring, and my conscience was wracked from absolutely hating our last nice meal together.  But really, there was just too much pressure.  Holidays can be such emotional hurricanes.  Hence, the wish for Taco Bell, or at least something very easy and satisfying for all involved. 

Running:  9.5 glorious miles yesterday.  Really, one of those "thank goodness I can still run" days.  Today was 4.5 recovery miles here in the 'hood. 

There's a good chance tomorrow's run won't happen.  Kid's coming home from the hospital and there's a big fall bazaar at our church at which I am volunteering.  I'm bringing some GF cookies, some GF cornbread and some of what I call "magic popcorn," which is also GF. (I'm not saying it's healthy, it's just gluten-free:mischief:) Popcorn and peanuts with almond bark melted over it.  Super easy to make, and people love it.  Makes me look like a cooking genius, which is a complete and utter lie :evil:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:39 PM
Good thoughts for baby-girl!:hug:

If y'all still lived here, you could do Blazer-Amanda (and Katlyn.....her family always travels that week so she has been with us 4-5 years as well.) Thanksgiving which is SO LOW KEY.  All we do is talk about running!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 2:43 PM
I don't want to mess with nana-bear!!!!:shocker!: best wishes and speedy recovery to GD:hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:50 PM
Maybe it will relieve your wracked conscience to know how much joy your Thanksgiving story gives me! Hahahaha! It's a classic family at the holidays story! If you wrote that into a screenplay, you'd make a mint, not kidding.

Great run yesterday, I'm jealous!

This is the feeding tube? Hopefully this will get her the nutrition she needs. And I'm so impressed that you're fairly new to your community, and you're jumping right in and volunteering at what I assume is a recently-joined church?
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:33 PM
Circuit training this morning followed by the single slowest mile I think I have ever run when not doing an ultra.  Oh well......just wasn't feeling it so I stopped.

Since we have no local family and no one will travel to Texas for the holiday, we trade off hosting Thanksgiving with one of my skinny running blondes who has a very small family.  Every year, random folks who don't anything planned are invited. Last year, my boxing trainer came to dinner!  When we host dinner, her family comes to my house and the blazer family goes to their house when it is "her year"....this is "her year".  The turkey is always deep fried and even when we host, my friend's husband does it at my house.  We split up the dishes and are not strict about the menu, though we make sure to keep her parents and in-laws happy with some traditional stuff.  She became vegetarian a couple of years ago, so I no longer make the green beans & bacon sautéed in bacon grease.....one of my staples.  A few years ago, the only thing we all drank was Rose wine, so now, that is our Thanksgiving tradition!
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 2:36 PM
We did a deep-fried turkey this year for our Thanksgiving roundup. It was good!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:42 PM
Two years ago, A&M played on Thanksgiving.  Our friends are both Aggies, so we did an BIG redneck, Thanksgiving tailgate there before the game and have several deep fried turkeys.  Our group was maybe 30 people. There had to have been 20,000 people on campus doing the same thing.  Literally, the best Thanksgiving ever.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:41 PM
One hour spin this morning, really wailed on the glutes!: pbbt: Did a heart rate zone class with a lot of tough intervals.

The bigger challenge was the Costco run I did after work. Not as crowded as I thought for a Friday afternoon though, and I managed to escape unscathed and without getting into a car accident in the parking lot. Color me happy! I got a big brisket there for my son to smoke, he put together the grill/smoker he got last week and plans to cook dinner all day tomorrow. Score, no cooking for me!:happy:

Thanksgiving is up in the air here. My MIL's dementia is so bad she can't go out, or even leave her bedroom. and my FIL is a mean bastard so he keeps saying, "if you don't tell her it's Thanksgiving she won't know and I don't want anyone to come over.":roll:  I think that's disrespectful to my MIL, but honestly, who wants to spend time with FIL? Anyway, I think Philip and I should get everything and bring it over there, and make Thanksgiving for them, but Philip doesn't want to go, says his dad will just be an asshat the whole time. So who knows when or if I will start TG prep. But I can say that Melissa Clark has some fabulous TG recipes in the NYT, Click. So if I do cook, I will be making the pumpkin pie and stuffing from these recipes.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-02 2:44 PM
Well, we both know what your FIL says is true.:sad::sad:  If Philip doesn't want to do it, then don't stress about it.:hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 3:00 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, it's true, but I still don't think it's right. But, true, not worth stressing about. Philip's dad treats his family like a mafia don would:roll:He's very distrustful of non-family, and even after I've been married to his son for twenty years, that would appear to include me.:roll:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 4:06 PM
I'm so sorry. My MIL isn't to that stage yet. It's so hard. Your FIL may be an asshat, but it has to be so hard and depressing to watch his DW deteriorate. :cry:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-02 6:44 PM
Eh. What's that thing about not taking life too seriously, it's only a temporary situation?:laugh: Yes, my FIL is an asshat, *and* it's hard for him- he's really old, all his close friends have died, he's such a d*ck that none of his kids want to visit (though they suck it up and do it anyway), and my MIL is deteriorating (and he thinks she forgets things intentionally:roll:). Not a great situation, but I try not to interfere.
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-02 4:32 PM
Cross Posting From Womens:

I am contemplating a quick trip to Vegas area between Xmas and New Years. I want to see DV, RR, and maybe Hoover Dam or VoF. No gambling - probably taking G if he wants to go. I wish he was more excited about travel but maybe no kids like to travel? He would rather stay home...but then when he goes with me he does have fun. I have 3 vacation days to use or lose and I intend to use them. Do these items seem reasonable for day trips? DV is a bit far is my only concern, about 2.5 hour drive from the area to the visitor center it looks like. Is it worth the drive? I've never been to any of these areas but figure winter is the time to visit the desert. If this is a ho hum idea if anyone has been, any other recommendations? Henderson has a nice resort the Green Valley Resort we can stay at and they are doing a winter wonderland for the kids over the break. Fossils would be cool not sure if any are there in Mojave or not. I figure we can also go to the strip and maybe do that coaster where you fall off the edge? Remember I'm traveling with an 11yo boy so things I would think are awesome (12 mile hike!) may not be so awesome for him.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-02 5:43 PM Edited 2018-11-02 5:45 PM
We did death valley as a day trip on our last trip to Vegas, back in... gulp 2001! It was a lot of driving but completely doable. It was November so daylight was limited. We missed a lot for sure, but did get a short hike up a slot canyon, stopped by furnace creek ranch, and enjoyed the big landscapes from the car window. Start early if you do it.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2018-11-02 6:09 PM
Ha.  I posted my response in women's but seems like I'm the odd one out in not overly liking it.  Least favorite national Park I've been to and I've been to quite a few.  I'm not a big fan of desert landscape so I'm sure that contributed to my dislike.  I visited it the same trip that I summited mt Whitney so that could have played a part as well since that hike was beautiful.
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-11-02 6:44 PM Edited 2018-11-02 6:46 PM
Well, summiting Whitney vs. DV... yeah.. I get that!

I think what we enjoyed about it most was the break from Vegas. Plus we had rented a dog Ford Mustang but it was a convertible and it was low 80's in the desert that day. So that and the fact the missus and I enjoy road trips it remains as a great memory for me. :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-02 5:49 PM
Death Valley is super cool, we drove through earlier this year. Hoover Dam is very cool too. I think the 11-year-old boy would like both!
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-02 5:08 PM
50 minute paddle on Lake Monona with my wife; not sure how many more times we’ll be able to get out again this year before it’s too cold.
- By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-02 5:46 PM
6.5 miles today.  It's pretty warm here.  If I wait until noon or so, I can go out in shorts and short sleeves and be more than comfortable.  Global warming, I suppose.  Other years we've had feet of snow on the ground by now.

Head to San Diego tonight, Portland on Monday, Monterey on Friday, Dallas on Sunday and Vegas on Friday.   Nothing like living out of a suitcase for half the month.  That means I'll probably just end up getting stuff at the store a week or so before the big day.

Thanksgiving is always my excuse to make mashed potatoes.  1/2 potato 1/2 celery root.  All delicious.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Spam free Fridalies