Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / November NRR
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-02 6:27 AM
November NRR Here. I'm starting the NRR as I am STILL NOT RUNNING (or jumping) letting this damn stress fracture heal. The doc says it can take months but once it's healed its good. Now its just more mental to stay off it and not push it. So I've been biking, swimming (not a whole lot reebs don't get excited), doing yoga and body pump.

I am contemplating a quick trip to Vegas area between Xmas and New Years. I want to see DV, RR, and maybe Hoover Dam or VoF. No gambling - probably taking G if he wants to go. I wish he was more excited about travel but maybe no kids like to travel. He would rather stay home...but then when he goes he does have fun. I have 3 vacation days to use or lose and I intend to use them. Do these items seem reasonable for day trips? DV is a bit far is my only concern, about 2.5 hour drive from the area to the visitor center it looks like. Is it worth the drive? I've never been to any of these areas but figure winter is the time to visit the desert. If this is a ho hum idea if anyone has been, any other recommendations? Henderson has a nice resort the Green Valley Resort we can stay at and they are doing a winter wonderland for the kids over the break. Fossils would be cool not sure if any are there in Mojave or not. I figure we can also go to the strip and maybe do that coaster where you fall off the edge? Remember I'm traveling with an 11yo boy so things I would think are awesome (12 mile hike!) may not be so awesome for him.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-02 6:31 AM
hi there!

I loved DV, thought it was so cool. I was there twice, once in January and once in March. Yep, winter is a good time to visit! I bet G will think the salt flats are cool, and the big dunes in the middle of nowhere (forget what they are called), and if it snows a bit when you are there, it is amazing to see. Also, the colors of all of the rock and sand formations are pretty amazing. You may have to force him to leave the house but I bet he will enjoy the trip. I'm sure he will think that the strip is pretty wild, even if you only walk down it and stay for a couple of hours. Still worth seeing. I say, drag him. He'll thank you later :laugh: I personally don't think 2.5 hours is a crazy distance to drive, unless you won't be staying somewhere in between... if you're driving back to the same hotel, that's kind of a lot of driving for one day, although not un-doable. The landscape is pretty wild so there is stuff to see on the drive.

Sorry to hear about the stress fracture :sad: you are right to stay off of it as long as necessary to fully heal. Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job of staying active anyway!
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2018-11-02 9:30 AM
We went to vegas for dec 25th one year, it was surprisingly cold. Although I think it was a record-breakingly cold winter.  We drove out to RR and it was so windy we didn't really want to get out of the car.

There is a chance I'll be in Vegas with my 16 year old nieces in Feb, when I looked at things to do, it looked like there is a neon graveyard that is supposed to be really cool.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-02 11:01 AM
Never been to Death Valley, but I have had several friends race and pace for the Badwater Ultra, which runs through it. I haven't seen anything in their reports of the place to make me think it'd be an awesome road trip experience for kids, honestly. I mean, yeah, I'd like to see it, but it's a long stretch of desert, basically. So...meh?

No opinion on the others; looking forward to everyone else's input.

I hope the sfx heals well. Tons of empathy on the "no running". At least we can walk, right?
Parent - By Nomad Date 2018-11-02 2:11 PM
A vote here for Hoover Dam - the "hard hat tour". Obvs I'm biased but I think it'd be cool for an 11 yo boy to see the huge turbines and you (used to at least) get to walk through & stick your head out of the dam to see how far down it is. Really interesting (to me) :cool:  I also enjoyed Red Rock Canyon's petroglyphs, but again that's probably a personal interest. We drove rather than hiked as it was August but if there are hikes in the area the rock art might make it more interesting to a child :wtf:
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2018-11-02 6:00 PM
I personally wasn't all that excited about death valley.  Cool to be below sea level and it was the hottest physical temperature I've ever seen / was outside in but not much else to me.  I think going to top of campground area at Mt Whitney (near lone pine, ca) was much more scenic and memorable.  I think you'd be better off doing the other things youve mentioned especially with the drive time to DV.  Oh and hi.  Haven't been around much.  I'll send you a text!
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-07 11:11 AM
We adopted a kitty on Monday. :grin: T-bone's younger daughter volunteers weekly at the Humane Society, and said they are full-up with cats and desperate to adopt them out to make room for new arrivals. They had even waived adoption fees for any cats over 6 months old. She encouraged us to come look at cats.

I am finding out that with T-bone, "looking at" cats means "taking one home." :laugh::hug: We were thinking of getting a tortie after losing Dali earlier this year, but this little black wisp of a cat ended up literally grabbing us with her claws. :laugh: She was charming, so we now have a fluffy little girl cat, medium-haired, with a "black smoke" coloring (black close to the skin, but with lighter color at the tips of her guard hairs). At 7.7 lbs, she is literally half the size of Leif and we think she is probably 9-10 months. Feels tiny compared to the boy cats.

She's still separated from the other cats because she has been sneezing just a tiny bit and we don't want her to give a cold to the others. But she is recovering really well from her spaying in the meantime, and seems very cuddly and happy. We named her Eleanor.
Parent - By BoredTemp Date 2018-11-07 12:58 PM
:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-07 1:04 PM
Aww. :hug:  I've seen pictures of her and she's super cute.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-11-07 2:26 PM
Ohhhhhhh how neat! My best wishes to Eleanor. :grin::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-07 3:58 PM
:hug: Lucky little Eleanor!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:50 PM
:hug: She's beautiful!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-11-09 9:18 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-12 6:09 PM
Update on Eleanor: the vet certified today that she is healthy. The entire staff all fell in love with her, too. :laugh: She is VERY energetic and kittenish, and also a snuggler. Like, she'll dash madly around for a bit, then jump in your lap, completely relax, get warm and then... ZOOM. She's off. Rinse, repeat.

She is getting along okay with the boys. They're generally a very mellow crew. :hug:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-11-13 6:14 AM
That sounds like a lot of fun! :grin:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-11-13 1:43 PM
:hug:
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-11-14 8:43 PM
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-16 5:10 PM
Thank you also for adopting a black cat. They are often the sweetest. (Gwen is a notable exception.)
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-20 4:25 PM
Do you know, I didn't think about it until I read your comment, but it just occurred to me that I have never had an all-black cat before.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-20 4:57 PM
We had one who, as a kitten, was found in the air cleaner of a car towed to my dad's shop.  She wasn't the brightest of cats. :laugh:  She was an outdoor cat who thought she could hide in green grass.  She also liked to watch birds, though it was very obvious that it never occurred to her to try to catch them.
- - By NotSoFast [us] Date 2018-11-03 1:29 PM
NM we are going to Grand Canyon now.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-05 3:10 AM
Cool! :cool: I got a glimpse of it once many years ago, I hope you are able to see it properly, it looks so beautiful.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-05 9:01 AM
Jealous! That will be great! :cool:
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 10:18 AM
Fun! That’s an awesome trip.
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-11-14 8:43 PM
Have a great trip!
- - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-05 3:13 AM
I ran a little bit yesterday. It was supposed to be a walk but I was very cold so I started running for short distances between walking. And my back is not killing me today!! :grin: This gives me hope I can start running again. Soon I will be moving to my old running routes and hopefully that wil help too.

Otherwise things are going o.k. Only a few weeks until I move. My old place isn't getting as much interest as I hoped (the people who live there now aren't exactly tidy and that doesn't help) but these things take time.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-05 7:13 AM
Hooray for doing a bit of running!  I hope your back continues to cooperate.

Best of luck with the move and with getting your place sold. :hug:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-06 2:41 AM
Thanks. :hug:
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-05 1:31 PM
Good news about your back! I hope your place sells quickly. Patience is hard. :happy:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-06 2:42 AM
Yes, patience is hard, especially for impatient people! :wink:
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:51 PM
That's good news about your back and running!
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-12 2:47 AM
It is! It gives me hope.
- - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-05 1:30 PM Edited 2018-11-05 1:47 PM
I'm back in the office today after 7 days off for step 2 of the mastectomy/reconstruction process. The recovery for this step was thankfully quite easy and I feel mostly back to normal. Now I just have to mentally get used to my new boobs. :blush:

I'm eager to start running again! I think feel better than I did when I started running after the first surgery (with permission), but I still need to wait at least a couple of weeks for the incisions to heal a bit more. Walking on the treadmill is my new thing.

ETA: Did anyone else get sucked into the NYC Marathon coverage? I didn't get to watch, but followed the race on Twitter and read a lot of articles before and after. It's so exciting to see the American women do so well!
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-05 1:50 PM
aw, I'm glad you are feeling ok. I bet your new boobs look great :laugh::evil: I hope you can get back to running when you're feeling all healed. I know the feeling of wanting to rush back, but I'm sure your body will thank you if you wait. :hug:

DH and I watched the entire thing yesterday! :laugh: That is, from elite women start to elite women and men finish. We did not watch for 8 hours :laugh: It was amazing to watch Shalane! And I love the story of the so-called "chubby" :roll: runner - Allie Kieffer, I think? who finished 7th! Chubby runners unite :laugh:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-05 3:53 PM
5"4" 118 lbs is not chubby. Maybe she isn't 105 like some of the bird people, but that isn't her body type. I am sure she is still about 12% body fat.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-05 5:35 PM
Keiffer isn’t chubby (and neither is classicnerds, of course), but her body type is different than others who run  a <2:30 marathon. It’s great to see her challenge the norms. I also love Shalane, Desi, and Molly!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-06 2:15 PM
Yes I meant to say she is strong and worked HARD to build her muscles and strength to her advantage.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-06 2:52 PM
Agreed! :happy:
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-05 8:08 PM
I'm 5'4" 118lbs and I'm just annoyed that I can't run a 2:30 marathon. : pbbt:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-11-06 6:46 AM
I'm 4'9" 91lbs and can't keep up with anyone who runs or walks. I'm a scurrying rodent. :laugh:
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-06 2:15 PM
I'm 5'4" and annoyed I don't weigh 118 lbs....:laugh:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-07 1:05 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-05 8:08 PM
So glad to hear that you are doing well! :hug:
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-06 2:44 AM
Glad it's going well, that must a huge adjustment! I would have like to see the NYC marathon but it barely mentioned over here, totally ridiculous..
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:53 PM
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-11-09 9:22 PM
Glad you are doing well. :happy:
We watched NYC on TV, we were cheering for Shalane. O dressed as her for school Halloween party.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-14 11:06 AM
I loved seeing pics of kids dressed like Shalane and other runners on Instagram! :grin:
- - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-06 1:45 PM
I'm standing in line waiting to vote.  First time I've ever had to wait more than a couple of minutes to vote anywhere I've lived.  From what I hear, it has been like this all day.  I'm definitely in the political minority in my precinct, but it's still great to see this kind of turnout.

If you live in the US and haven't done so already, please vote!
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-06 2:17 PM
If you are in the US and you can vote early or by mail I suggest this! Way easier and no lines.....I do it by mail and it gives me plenty of time to research the candidates and issues.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-06 3:35 PM
Voting early here is a bit of a PITA because the only place in the count to do it is at the Board of Elections, which is in the courthouse, which requires going to the courthouse during normal business hours and going through security and all of that.  I do look up the ballot ahead of time, though, and research candidates/amendments.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-11-07 11:00 AM
Wow!  That sucks!  We get ballots in the mail a week or two ahead of time, and can look up all the candidates and issues from the comfort of our home.  Before, I would be all ready and get there, and find there were some issues I was ready for that were for some other county, and some I never heard of!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-11-09 9:25 PM
I tried voting early but we live in a small town now and there was some issues with submitting ballots when I went so I couldn’t vote early. Made sure to go on Election Day instead.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-07 3:54 AM
It's so great to hear about the turnout! I'm impressed with the American people right now.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-07 4:00 PM
:grin: Definitely!

I live in California's 25th district. We just flipped it! I am still pissed at the unknown someone who stole my "Katie Hill for Congress" sign TWICE, but thrilled that we actually managed to put Katie in.
- - By runnertype [us] Date 2018-11-08 10:19 AM
NRR, just found out yesterday that I've got a slightly torn meniscus. Knee doc said that surgery wasn't necessary, thinks I'll get the same results from giving it time (like 3 months or so) to heal. Also said that I won't make it any worse by doing any activity that I can tolerate without pain. Of course, that means that I can walk and Stairmaster but not run. At least I can still do something.
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-11-08 1:51 PM
Sorry to hear about your meniscus, but glad that surgery isn't in the works. :hug::hug::hug:
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ sending you many healing vibes. :hug:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-08 3:10 PM
Hey, I haven't seen you around in ages!  Sorry about the torn meniscus, but glad it doesn't need surgery and that you can still do some stuff.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-12 6:04 PM
POOP!! Sorry about the tear. Glad it's probably okay.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-14 10:10 AM
Ugh that's a huge bummer! I've found walking to be a decent temporary replacement for running but it takes so much time!
- - By gophergirl [us] Date 2018-11-10 8:52 PM
Anyone have a good iPhone grocery list app? The one we were using isn’t updated enough for the newest iPhone that I just got.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-11-11 7:41 PM
I love Paprika.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-11 7:47 PM
I just use Google Keep, but it's really more of a sticky note type app.  It does allow you to share notes, but I don't generally share them so I can't really comment/compare on how well it works.
Parent - By spccer6 [us] Date 2018-11-13 11:29 AM
Cozi
- - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-12 12:15 PM
Sending safe thoughts and prayers to Arimathea with all the fires.....
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-12 6:05 PM
Right? That's some scary stuff happening out there. :sad:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-11-12 7:45 PM
It's awful.
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-13 3:19 AM
Yes, me too. It's horrible to see the devastation. :cry:
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-11-13 1:53 PM
:hug:  Arimathea, check in if you see this!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-13 10:14 PM
Thanks! We are fine, the closest fire is about 20 miles west of us and the wind is blowing the other way.

I was up in northern CA this weekend and the smoke from the Camp fire was horrible.

The Woolsey fire in southern CA is almost exactly the same footprint as the Agoura-Malibu fire in 1970. I was 7 when that happened and still have vivid memories of it 48 years later. :sad:
Parent - By judyruns Date 2018-11-14 7:41 AM
Good Heavens! 20 miles is close to you! :hug: Thanks for checking in. We worry.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-11-14 8:40 AM
I am glad you are okay. Those fires are scary. And that they have been going on for so long in the same way....
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2018-11-14 9:36 AM
I have been wondering how you were doing as well.  Glad to hear you're okay.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-11-14 7:00 PM
The fires are awful. I'm glad you are safe.
- - By tritri Date 2018-11-13 2:02 PM Edited 2018-11-13 2:04 PM
I'm upset for my sister and her husband, Paul.  Paul has pancreatic cancer, diagnosed in March, which is really bad, invades the stomach to cause him to lose a lot of blood, and it's in his liver now as well.  He's very weak, in a lot of pain, and has a hard time eating anything.  They live in the evacuation zone and had to evacuate Friday 1am.  Because of the cancer, they couldn't take him to an evacuation center.  They can't go to a hotel, as he is not eating out; there is not a lot he can tolerate.   Plus the evac. center was in an evacuation zone!  They ended up sitting in a Target parking lot all night.  At 8am Friday, they decided to go to their vacation home in Cambria, displacing any renters.  So there's that.  They went home and got more stuff, and sealed their doors and windows.  So the house was still standing then and the fire was within a block.  So, their house survived Thursday night, so there is that. They are supposed to have a oncologist appt today, but were thinking they would cancel (so many roads are closed, and it's a 3 hour drive at best).  Plus the air isn't good for anyone.  It's all just too much!  :cry::cry:  I hate that when someone gets more than they can handle, they just get more piled on.  I hate that there is really nothing I can do to help.
Parent - - By NotSoFast [ca] Date 2018-11-13 6:26 PM
hugs and I'm so sorry. Maybe you can fedex a care package to them in Cambria?
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-11-14 8:38 AM
That's a good idea.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-13 7:43 PM
Oh man, that really sucks. :cry:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-13 10:15 PM
I am sorry. Are they in Paradise or Thousand Oaks?
Parent - - By tritri Date 2018-11-14 8:38 AM
Thousand Oaks.  Near Janss and Erbes.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2018-11-14 3:19 PM
Oh gosh. I haven't heard about that area, though it's close to St. Patrick's and we'd likely have heard if that is gone.
Parent - By tritri Date 2018-11-14 4:06 PM
St Patrick's isn't in the burn zone.  Their house is East of Erbes, and close to the edge of the burn zone, by about a block.  (on Wilder).
Parent - By Gunna [is] Date 2018-11-14 3:08 AM
Oh my goodness, that is awful. :cry:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2018-11-14 8:41 AM
:sad::cry:
So very frustrating and sad. You are right, seeing it piled on when one is already overwhelmed just seems the height of unfair. I am so sorry.
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2018-11-14 10:11 AM
That's awful. :cry:
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2018-11-14 11:28 AM
Holy crap. :sad:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2018-11-14 6:59 PM
:cry:So sad and heartbreaking.
Parent - By ezrunner [us] Date 2018-11-17 9:16 PM
What a heartbreaking situation for them.  I am at a loss for what to say, it does seem like an overwhelming load to bear.  Many times Life is just not fair.  Pancreatic cancer alone, is bad enough.  Sorry for you too, not being able to do anything to help.  I hope he can at least get some relief from tue pain.
Parent - By kelly_v Date 2018-11-19 8:48 AM
:cry:
- - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-20 5:02 PM
So (for those of us in the US), Thanksgiving is almost here.  How's the holiday shaping up for you?  Any new recipes being tried?  Interesting guests?  Family feuds brewing?
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2018-11-20 5:26 PM
I tend to find holidays to be a bit stressful and this year will be our largest Thanksgiving yet -- 24 guests including 7 children, 2 people who are 90+, 3 people who are eating vegan, and 2 with gastroparesis.  So far about 1% of the cooking has been done, which means the next two days are going to be interesting.  At least 95% of the cooking/baking will happen here, in one oven, one toaster oven, a crock pot, and a 4-burner stove.  Current count is 21* separate dishes being offered that will be prepared here.  But hey, we have enough china and silver for everyone and the silver has been polished and spreadsheets have been made. :laugh:  My mother is a stickler for tradition, but I'm in charge of most of the vegan-friendly offerings so we're trying a new recipe for a lentil nut loaf with mushroom gravy as well as trying a new recipe for vegan dressing.  I'm also making applesauce and parsnips, both of which are vegan and gp-friendly.

*Turkey, lard-based cornbread stuffing, turkey gravy, lentil nut loaf, vegan dressing, mushroom gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, green beans, cider-glazed parsnips, broccoli, cheese sauce, applesauce, rolls, vegan rolls, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, German chocolate pie, spinach and artichoke dip, pickles and olives, and apple skin chips.  Dishes not being made here include pumpkin pecan brownie pie, giblet dressing, giblet gravy, as well as likely fruit salad, cranberry gelatin concoction, maybe dairy-laden potatoes, and probably another dessert.
Up Topic Communities / Women / November NRR