Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Turn the Page Thursday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 7:14 AM
Time to turn the page to November.  It finally feels like it’s fall. I've survived another summer! :grin:

So QOTD – leaves.  How are yours looking right now?  Did the season come early/late?  Do you have a favorite type of tree/leaves?

And post the usual stuff about exercise :happy:
Parent - By IB Date 2018-11-01 8:17 PM
3.1 miles

74º & sunny at 1245

New Balance 890 Blue #2
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-11-02 11:25 AM
No running but did some core and leg work after the kids went to bed. I always think I have a strong core until I try to do some exercises I find online. Then I realize that I am am impostor.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-02 12:35 PM
Lol! One of my videos says "there is always room to improve your core." So true!!!!
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 7:25 AM
Halloween is how I can tell how late our trees are turning.  Normally, our maple is doing the big drop the week of Halloween and we are madly raking trying to keep our steps clear and safe for the kids.  This year, our maple is just now turning.  We haven’t had to rake yet.  Maples or anything that turns firey orange/red are my favorite.

I ran 15 miles this morning, and felt relatively decent throughout.  :cool:  Middle 20K was in 1:37 and change.  I will take it.  My workout group is doing a 21 day sugar detox starting today.  No way will I do that, so I was trying to come up with my own 21 day challenge.  My thoughts were going toward “Be nice to DH for 21 days.  Do not curse for 21 days.  Be nice to co-workers for 21 days.”  So ultimately, my goal is to “not be a b!tch for 21 days!”  It’s my 21 Days of Nice challenge.  I told my co-workers about this.  Their reaction? :laugh::laugh::laugh:  : pbbt: We will see.  I kinda sorta cursed on my long run this morning – but just once and nobody heard.  That one doesn’t count, right?  I’m a work in progress…

Super awesome news…  Steven got his official acceptance.  He will be spending the next semester at St. Andrews.  I’m just waiting now to find dates to book him a flight.  Once we do that and get that settled, I will be booking tickets for DH, DS, and me to go to Scotland over spring break.  <happy dance!>
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:06 AM
I should do, "clean my house for 21 days"!

15 miles before work is amazing.
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:19 AM
Your 21 challenge is something I really should try!  Congrats to Steven!!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 8:27 AM
I find it funny that I can go back to being a b!tch on Thanksgiving :evil::laugh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:36 AM
I will attempt to do this with you though next weekend, I will be with my sister for 48 hours.:meh:  She is typically not nice to me, so I end up being a bitch back.  Ugh, this will be hard!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 8:40 AM
I know it! Oh my co-workers laughed and laughed. I'm not telling DH. He'll purposely try to push my buttons : pbbt:

Good luck to you!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 8:55 AM
Memo to self: Stock up on popcorn.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 8:24 AM
Oh, that will be a fun trip!

Nice run!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:33 AM
15 miles before work is :cool::cool:  21 days of nice would kill me.  :laugh:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 8:47 AM
Very cool for Steven! A colleague of mine has a son at St. Andrews, and he loves it there. And holy cow, what a great excuse for a trip across the pond!

OK, NFW I could do no cursing for 21 days. I also couldn't do no sugar for 21 days. I try to start my workweeks by thinking, as I walk in, that I'm not going to let the idiots get to me. That's usually toast by 9:17 a.m. I will have to think over an appropriate 21-day challenge.

Love those midweek double-digit runs!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:19 AM
Congrats to Steven! :grin:

Nice mileage this morning! :cool: Good luck with your challenge!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:19 AM
I love the 21 day challenge, but not sure what mine would be!

So exciting for Steven, what a great opportunity for him, and for all of you to go visit Scotland!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 10:46 AM
Scotland!  Cool.  :cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:58 AM
My son just got a tee time at St. Andrews for next August. :cool:

I assume the school is in the same area as the golf course?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:10 PM
Wow, that's amazing!!! Go Steven and what a fun trip for the rest of you peeps!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:39 PM
ahhhh! that is SO awesome for Stephen! Congrats! I went to Scotland once (but not to St Andrews) and loved it.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:13 PM
that is super news!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:33 PM
Congrats to Steven!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:41 PM
Congrats to Steven! Nice way to finagle a trip over the pond!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-01 4:56 PM
Nice run!

And congrats to Steven! That is exciting!
- - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:05 AM
4 miles with a friend last night.  I got home to hand out the Halloween candy.  It was fun. I have candy left over. Kind of mixed feelings about that. :blush: I only bought stuff I like too, but I have weened myself off of a lot of candy over the years with all my dental issues. Still I feel compelled to let myself have a little chocolate every day.  At that rate it will probably last until Christmas and be a little stale.

I had a lot more fun this year at Halloween than I expected. I think helping a friend decorate for her Halloween party (which I got to attend), decorating a table in my entry way with lights and some fun items, dressing up (twice) and making sure I was home to hand out treats made it more fun.   Sometimes you plan, work hard and end up not having any fun, but I think if you make a modest effort without stressing yourself out it works out much better. (Now if I can just remember that with Christmas.)

Maybe a short run and few weights today. I have a 10K on Saturday
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:21 AM
My mother used to tell me that I would be cranky if I didn't have a sweet every day, so I support you having some chocolate every day as well!!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:19 PM
your mom had it going on :cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 8:25 AM
Sounds like you found a nice balance. :happy:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 8:38 AM
I'm the opposite. I feel cheated and angry if I just have a little something. I want the whole <deleted curse word that I'm not using> Bag of whatever. So I do good for 6 days and happily cram it all in on Saturdays. But it's whatever works, right?

I'm glad you had so much fun :happy:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 10:47 AM

> <deleted curse word that I'm not using>

Keep that 21 day challenge alive!! :laugh:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 8:43 AM
If the leftover candy feels like more than you'd eat, could you bring it to work? I used to do that back in the day when the kid would collect more candy on Halloween than she could possibly rationally eat.
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:36 AM
I work at home. So yes!:laugh:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 11:06 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:56 AM
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:19 PM
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:20 AM
at least you have good candy left over!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 10:47 AM
Nice that you had fun.  :hug:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:56 AM
Chocolate every day sounds like a good plan. :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:09 PM
Good luck Saturday!
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:34 AM
As I am in taper, I did 9 this morning instead of 10!  I will go to boxing class tonight.

As I look out my office window, I can see just a few trees turning and those which are changing colors are mostly yellow.  Over the past week, I have noticed some fiery red/orange leaves on the handful of maple trees in my neighborhood.  The trees we have in our yard, do drop their leaves, but not entirely.  It is just enough to give the kids something to do around Thanksgiving.....raking with your sibling is excellent bonding!!  I THINK we may be in fall now, as it looks like we will be in the 60s and 70s going forward...that is my kind of fall!!:hug:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 8:54 AM
I did my Thu 10-miler yesterday because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get out of bed today post-Hamilton to run anything decent. (Not so much -- ended up with 8.) :roll:

Putting the kids to work -- never gets old. :laugh:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 9:51 AM

> As I am in taper, I did 9 this morning instead of 10! 

You weirdo.  :hug::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:19 AM
So... How short did the 9 miler feel? :laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:21 AM
only 9. I feel like a slacker.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:54 AM
Nice taper!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:09 PM
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:20 PM
it was certainly good weather for such a short run :laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:09 PM
I love to look at the leaves turning. It's just so interesting to try and anticipate whether it will be bold or blah each year. Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised.
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 8:38 AM
Our leaves are a mix. Some trees are fully engaged in their seasonal thing, and some trees are still completely green. A few have shed their leaves completely at this point. This feels pretty late to me, but then again, winter dragged on for so long that it might make a little sense that leaves are sticking around longer than usual. I figure I will mow the lawn one or two more times, less for purposes of trimming the grass but more to mulch the leaves that are on the lawn. (I need to point out that we have one small tree on our property, but our neighbors all around have trees galore. :roll: )

Per Herself, Halloween had a different vibe at our house this year, and I kind of suspected something might be up. The city and PD apparently decided to close streets, including ours, leading to the popular trick-or-treat street, which was also blocked off. (I saw the sawhorses set to the sidelines as I was walking to the train station yesterday afternoon.) That led to people having to park on other side streets and then walk up to the popular street, which meant that Herself managed to give away almost all the candy from the two boxes I'd bought. I think we have a few Hershey bars and a few PB cups left. Rest assured I am 100% good with that.

Hamilton was, of course, an amazing experience. I can't add anything original to the superlatives that have already been showered on that show, only that I'm glad that I have gotten to have the experience. The cast was really good. The only one I really recognized is the actor now playing Lafayette/Jefferson; he won a Tony a few years ago as the genie in the original cast of Aladdin. I don't even know what to say about the dumb luck of ending up in the fifth row in the orchestra. I mean, I could see the actors sweating after the dances. And the craziest thing, but on leaving the theater, I saw in the midst of the crowd a woman who works down the hall from me. Turned out that her mom had won tickets in the lottery, and they'd also gone last night. :shocker!: I'm now finding myself super tempted by the Groupon-priced tickets (plus extra 25% of!) for the Donna Summer musical, which is playing across the street from Hamilton.

In walking to the theater, we discovered a new (?) Hershey-branded store right off Times Square. In addition to beverages and baked goods, they seem to sell the full line of Hershey products. Open til midnight, so we stopped after the show for a few things. Right outside the store as we were leaving, they had several carts of merchandise ready to go in the store, including boxes and boxes and boxes of various chocolate and other flavor chips. I was all: If I were ever going to do a heist, this would be it.

It was a stupid late night (we didn't get home til 2 a.m.), but I managed to get up on time and put in 8 miles this morning. I don't think that I'm going to be delivering a 100% effort as the day goes on, however. :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:55 AM
Oh gees, all that AND an 8-mile run before work?  There's such an incomparable energy to Broadway.  It must have been a wonderful tonic for you :hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:22 AM
I was all: If I were ever going to do a heist, this would be it.
:laugh::laugh:

Nice job on getting up and running after your late night! Sounds like it was awesome! :cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 9:50 AM

>  I managed to get up on time and put in 8 miles this morning.

:shocker!:  Astounding.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:25 AM
I feel like the staging of Hamilton really does add a lot to it, it is such a great piece of art. I cannot wait to see it again! My seats will not be as good. N saw a video of the contest to see it in Puerto Rico and keeps nagging me to enter. She doesn't get that we are not going to win!

The new plan for trick or treating in your town makes a lot of sense. I wish they would close my street and force people to walk a few blocks-instead we have a lot of cars idling on the street when there are kids walking. It is so dumb too, because homes are so close together here that in 2-3 blocks kids can easily fill a big bag with candy.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:27 AM
You sound so happy. I'm glad. :hug: lol on the Hershey store! I will happily assist you in this crime. My grandparents used to live in (near) Hershey. *best place ever!* To visit grandparents :laugh:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:54 AM
I would love to heist some Hershey's dark chocolate candy bars. :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:08 PM
I'm impressed you got up and ran!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:21 PM
what a great night :happy:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-01 4:59 PM
I knew you'd love Hamilton as much as I did! And what fantastic seats!

A Hershey Heist.:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:10 PM
I'm impressed you did all that and managed 8 miles!
- - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 8:52 AM
We don't have trees in our yard, but DS has three maple trees in his, and they have been beautiful!  The leaves have almost all fallen by now, but they were very pretty.  DH has an annoyingly optimistic view of winter:  he says when then trees have lost their leaves, we get a better view of the branches. :meh: I hate it when he's right :roll: :grin:

Last night was our first Halloween in a long time, and it was the best :hug:  Our GD's skinny little legs earned her the nickname of "Chicken" long ago, and lo and behold, we found a little chicken costume at a thrift store a month ago.  DS and DIL dressed up in jeans, plaid shirts, bandannas and straw hats, so they were farmers with their new-hatched chicken.  We sat out on their porch, visited neighbors and passed out candy.  We have some left over :roll: some of my favorites, unfortunately. 

Running will have to happen later today.  I should have run yesterday, but I could tell I was too achy and it would be asking for trouble.   Today's run will have to happen in the afternoon and rain is forecast.  I will either get wet or run on a TM.  Or we can hope the forecast is wrong : pbbt:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:24 AM
Aww, your GD sounds adorable! :hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 9:49 AM
Chicken.  :hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 10:11 AM
:laugh::cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:17 AM
That sounds like an awesome evening. Cutest little chicken ever :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:25 AM
what a cute costume, so glad it was fun for all of you:hug:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 10:28 AM
That first Halloween for a baby is really the best. :hug:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:51 AM
What a nice Halloween!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:08 PM
Awww chicken :hug::hug:
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 9:06 AM
Ran/walked 1 mile, then 5 miles on the elliptical and 10 minutes of swimming. I felt nothing in my calf both today and yesterday. So, I am cautiously, somewhat, kinda, sorta optimistic that my evil soleus is okay.  I am scheduled to run the Tulsa Marathon on the 18th so if I can't get a strain-free, double-digit run completed within the next week then I will DNS. Also, I am going to San Diego next Wed. and my son is meeting me there and he is taking me mountain climbing. :roll: Gee, I dunno, does that require calf muscles? :wtf:  I will say, that throughout this soleus strain, I have been able to do heel raises (with my heels hanging off a step), all day long with no issues.  Did I mention that the soleus is evil? It sits there not revealing any pain or tightness until running is attempted and then it tightens up and says "No running , you fool!" :meh:

Had our post-season, pot luck dinner Tuesday night for the XC team. It was a fun end to a great season. I handed out letters and XC pins to the kids who ran XC for the first time (which was all but 5 kids). The team gave me a coffee mug laminated with a team photo and a couple photos from practice. It is awesome. :hug:  I had so much fun coaching these kids and all will be coming back except for 1 graduating 8th grader. :happy:

Our house is only 3 years old so our trees are not majestic. But our 2 sugar maples, 2 service berries and dogwood look fantastic. :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:24 AM
Your XC kids :hug:

Your evil soleus :mutmad:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 9:48 AM
Mountain climbing requires a *lot* of calf muscle.  Good luck!
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 9:55 AM
That's nice about your team :hug:

Hope the calf starts behaving :mutmad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:16 AM
Injuries are so frustrating!!!! You think you have your body figured out, and then you find something new..

You are a great coach :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:26 AM
congratulations on your first coaching season!

ugh, i'm sorry about the calf :mutmad:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 10:27 AM
Glad you're turning the corner on the nagging calf injury, and that you had a good first season coaching XC!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:06 PM
Fingers crossed your calf stays well.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:35 PM
Fingers crossed for your calf. One of the guys I know is heading to Tulsa to run the marathon. He’s getting very close to his 50th state.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:00 PM
aw, sounds like so much fun coaching the kids! thank you for doing such a great service to your community. I have such fond memories of HS XC and track, and think very fondly of my coaches :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:23 PM
:hug: so glad that you enjoyed coaching. sounds like a great group of kiddos
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:34 PM
Still be careful with your calf!!!!!

Congrats to you & the XC kids!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-01 2:38 PM
Does the team know about COFFEE DAY!!
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 3:20 PM
I hope your soleus will cooperate.  Given the choice, I would take hiking with my son over a potential DNS any day of the week. :cool: :hug:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 4:16 PM
Well to be clear, we aren't hiking. We will be mountain climbing. Ya know, with ropes and shit...  :shocker!:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:31 PM
:shocker!::shocker!: Go for it !!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:15 PM
I hope your calf cooperates. 

Sounds a great XC season finale.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:18 AM
The leaves are finally in all of their fall glory here. They turned really late due to all of the rain we got over the summer. I've been noticing them on my commute all this week, and we also saw some pretty trees driving back from DC on Monday. I love this time of year! :hug:

I ran 5 miles last night dodging trick-or-treaters and their parents. : pbbt: It got dark really quickly and I hadn't worn my safety thong, so I was trying to stick to the sidewalk since I was wearing a black shirt and orange shorts (festive!) and wasn't particularly visible. Then DH and I went to see Halloween in the theater. It was a lot of fun.

Tonight's run will be 4-5 miles. It's oddly warm again today so it will be another shorts and t-shirt run!

Turned a page at work this week...the promotion that I've been waiting ~2 years for finally came through. :grin:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:31 AM
Congrats on your promotion!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 9:48 AM
Does this promotion go with the big raise you advocated for?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:58 AM
Yes! My boss asked me at the time which was more important, the money or the title. I wisely said the money knowing the title would eventually follow. And it finally did! :cool:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 9:55 AM
Congratulations!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:12 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Now that is a happy day I'm sure! :happy:

I do love the colors this time of year :happy:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 10:26 AM
Congratulations on the promotion! :cool:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:27 AM
congratulations on your promotion!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:05 AM
Congrats & 'bout time!
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:40 AM
I laugh out loud whenever you use the term "safety thong"... :laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:59 AM
:laugh: my work here is done
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:05 PM
Whoo hoo!
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:24 PM
hooray for promotions and :wtf: running thong?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:57 PM
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-11-01 2:39 PM
COngrats!!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 3:22 PM
A safety thong :shocker!::mischief::laugh:

Glad you made it home safely!!
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:15 PM
Yeah on the finally (and well deserved) promotion!
- - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-01 9:30 AM
3 miles this morning, swim is planned after work. I don't have anything special planned, maybe 100's?

As predicted - I have a lot of candy left over! no one showed up.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:11 AM
Boo on the no shows, but yay for extra candy! :cool:

Are you a long time swimmer?
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:54 PM
We were living at the lake so I was swimming since I was 3 years old.

I swam more in college, nothing serious. After college I swam by myself, then I joined a tri club, I left them after 3 years to swim on my own schedule. Now my goal is to swim 3 times a week just to stay in "swimming shape". Then when summer comes I focus more on speed and do tri's (1-3 per year, Olympic distance).
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 10:25 AM
:cry: No trick or treaters!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 10:48 AM
Yikes, sucks not to have anyone show up.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:41 AM
That's my worst fear, having a big vat of candy with nobody to eat it but me. :shocker!:
Parent - - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:55 PM
We are going to freeze them for skiing - great snack on the lift.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 3:23 PM
GENIUS!!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:03 PM
Bummer that no kids showed up.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:59 PM
boo that no one showed up! It is very unlikely that anyone would come to our house (long driveway, houses very far apart on road, no sidewalk, no streetlights) so we didn't even bother and just took our kids out.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:25 PM
:happy: on your workouts
:sad: on your lack of goblins and ghouls
- - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 9:46 AM
We're at the tail end of autumn here - DH has been raking leaves for weeks.  We live in an older neighbourhood with lots of big trees.

Hit the gym this morning - 5 minutes on the manual treadmill (that thing still kicks my butt!), then strength training, then 15 minutes of speedwork on the regular TM.

We had about 10 trick-or-treaters last night.  One little girl helped herself to about 12 pieces of candy before DH cut her off.  :laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-11-01 10:10 AM
Do you find your stride to be the same on the manual TM?

I figured y'all were long done with fall!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 10:45 AM
No, my stride is totally, totally different.  That's what makes it so hard.  It's like the difference between road running and trail running.  So much harder to keep my footing and stay upright.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 10:25 AM
One little girl helped herself to about 12 pieces of candy before DH cut her off.

It's hilarious when kids go for it like that.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:28 AM
haha! I love when kids think they can 'shop' in the candy jar. Nope kid, you get what I give you.
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:43 AM
Our house is in a newer neighborhood. I don't miss raking leaves. :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:59 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:02 PM
:cool: I've never done a manual treadmill
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:28 PM
she's like "don't mind if I do" :laugh:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 3:25 PM
Maybe the little girl just thought your arm was tired from handing out all the candy :grin:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:16 PM
I always become more generous or stingy as the night goes on depending on the candy supply. :laugh:

Touch workout!
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:18 AM
looking out the window, the leaves are mostly green. We have a few that are getting some yellow, but not much. Very few leaves have fallen.

It does feel like fall though, it was chilly at the bus stop and for my run this morning.

We had a rainy halloween, so not as many kiddos as usual. N had fun, one of her friends joined to trick or treat and they enjoyed themselves. We unloaded all of our candy, so yay!

7 miles. Kind of slow, I am just exhausted right now.

Tonight I am going to see Jessamyn Ward with a friend, pretty excited.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 10:24 AM
OMG! Jessamyn Ward. :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-11-01 10:28 AM
yeah. I'm pretty excited.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 10:49 AM

>  I am just exhausted right now.

It's awesome to get seven miles in when you're so chronically tired.  Sounds like the new job is pretty challenging?
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:44 AM
Good job unloading candy.  I know donnasaurs love candy... :wink:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:01 PM
Sorry for the exhaustion! Hope it gets better! :hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:31 PM
it was so drizzly - glad N had a good time :happy:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:17 PM
I admire you for getting 7 in. All my long runs are on weekends.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-01 10:54 AM
I love all leaves...they basically are 75% down and on time!

10km with Molly...and a hike coming up in the rain :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:00 PM
Enjoy the rainy hike!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-01 1:18 PM
:hug: we did
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:43 PM
:hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-11-01 1:18 PM
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:32 PM
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 10:57 AM
7 miles with my fast buddy. :hug: I did ask if we could slow down a touch and I did much better today.

We have a massive live oak so our leaves don't fall until the spring (I rake for days and then more days) but lots of trees around the hood are changing. Pretty. :hug:
Trick or treating was fun... we didn't get as many as usual but we gave out handfuls of candy so it's all gone! Whew!

On a sad note, we have a sick chicken. :sad: She's lethargic and near death so we have her in trying to keep her comfortable. I don't know what else to do. :sad: I get too attached so this sucks.
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 11:29 AM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 11:46 AM
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 11:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your chicken.  I think it's impossible not to get attached to the animals we look after.  :hug:
:hug::hug:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-11-01 11:45 AM
Oak trees are irritating; dropping more leaves in the spring. :mutmad:
I agree. It's a lot of work. :mutmad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:00 PM
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:32 PM
The leaves from Live Oaks are a pain to rake since they are small and thin so they escape from the rake a lot.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:54 PM
sounds like a good workout! I'm sorry to hear about your chicken :hug: It's so normal to get attached to the living things we care for - humans, animals, plants. Shows that you are a kind, empathetic person. I hope your chicken's last few days are comfortable :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:32 PM
:sad: sorry about your hen. it's always so tough to lose one.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 1:40 PM
She just died. :sad:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 2:24 PM
Aw, I'm so sorry :sad:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 2:40 PM
:hug::hug: Thanks. It stinks just really not knowing why. Could be many different things.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 1:57 PM
There have been Halloweens when I've given the random few who showed up at our house two or three full-size candy bars just to get rid of the candy. :laugh:

Your poor chicken! :sad:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 2:41 PM
:laugh: Yes, the kids bring in enough of their own. We don't need that AND our leftovers. : pbbt:

They promptly handed me their Reese's pb cups. Smart kids. :hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:18 PM
I had a pet chicken once.  It was an interesting pet. Sorry to hear yours is ailing.
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:00 AM
Our trees are a mix; partly green & partly brown (oaks), some yellow pine needles and the maples are still all green.  Nonetheless, I've had a couple of barrels/bags of leaves/grass clippings out for recycling each of the past three weeks.<---this includes 2 barrels and 2 not quite full bags from this morning's yard work.  Yesterday morning it was 39 degrees when I left the house.  At 1pm today it's 70!

My workout for today, not including the above mentioned yard work, will be teaching spin class this evening.  For the record, I had 10 riders show up for my 6am class yesterday and 6 :meh:for the 6:30pm one I subbed.  Expecting more tonight.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-11-01 11:38 AM
6 riders for a Hallowe'en evening class sounds to me like a pretty good turnout!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-11-01 11:54 AM
Yeah, 6 certainly beats none!  :laugh:  I guess teaching the extra class yesterday let me "catch up" since I missed the Halloween season in the cycling studio last year due to hip surgery.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 12:00 PM
HOpe you get more tonight!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 1:57 PM
Six riders is more than I thought you might get last night!
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 12:10 PM
Might walk a few miles after work depending on how heavy it's raining at the time.

My butt thing seemed to be coming along but (aha) it's still bugging me.. Last week I felt great as I headed out Tuesday and remember thinking everything feels perfect. About 5 miles in, things started to get cranked up. My whole hip felt pretty sore the rest of the week. This has been on again off again since May. Had an x-ray this morning. Nothing wrong with the hip bones it seems. Both hips look good and lower back is okay. MRI is next. It really does feel mainly like a nerve thing which then makes everything else in the hip area feel sore. We shall see.

Leaves seem late in changing this year and the color seems muted. It seems at peak around here now and that usually happens mid October. A lot of nice golds on my trails last weekend with flashes of red and orange. I have a red maple in my yard. It always loses the leaves on one side first, then the other.. My chestnut still has lots of leaves and there has been a big doe with triplets showing up a lot to munch on the chestnuts. Willows still have leaves.
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:56 PM
obviously I am very out of the loop, but I'm sorry to hear about your butt injury :laugh::hug: It sounds like you're taking a lot of the right steps to address it and find out the cause. I hope you get answers soon.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 1:58 PM
I hope that the tests lead to a resolution for the pain in the ass. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:19 PM
I hope something can be done.  Sounds very mysterious which usually means hard to address.:sad:
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:31 PM
5 miles at noon.

I ran with my female co-worker who is trying to decide if she is going to do the Kiawah marathon in December or not. She had trained for a half Ironman which she completed in September. Last week, she seemed ready to bail on Kiawah so I know not sure what changed her mind but she is doing another run later this evening and will do a long run this weekend and then decide. She can get out of her rental house without any penalties until sometime next week and that’s her decision point.

Leaves here are just barely starting to turn. We had a maple tree at a previous house that turned bright yellow and was amazing. The Crepe Myrtle leaves turn nice colors but they aren’t as full as the maple tree was so it’s not as stunning.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-11-01 1:59 PM
Do you know why she's unsure about running Kiawah?
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-11-01 2:48 PM
I think she feels undertrained. She was hoping to qualify and isn’t one to run just to enjoy the day.
- - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-11-01 12:50 PM
hello friends! I am excited to report that I have done 2 run-walk (more like walk-run) workouts this week. I'm planning for 3 this week, interspersed with walking only days, then 4, then 5, then 6. My run intervals have been 3 mins and walking 4 mins. Breathing-wise, I feel fine, but my core is still weak postpartum so devoting attention to that - using a postpartum "strength" routine geared towards the postpartum week. Today my total distance was 4.3 miles in about 55 minutes. I have a little bit of a gut that needs to go after a not very active pregnancy!

little Emery is doing well, getting bigger, keeping mom totally sleep-deprived :laugh:. Last night was a little better - she slept for 4 hours, was awake (and screaming :roll:) for 2, then slept for 3. Probably her best night yet. She will be 4 weeks on Monday! :shocker!:

halloween was so fun with the two littles! P was a farmer and E was a pumpkin. P was a riot, sticking both her fists into every candy bowl and saying "thank you welcome" as she added to her ever-growing stash :laugh: She doesn't really know what candy is, but she sure liked grabbing it.

leaves are starting to peak here and are very pretty. We've had some nice fall weather the last couple of weeks, which has been really enjoyable for my maternity leave walks with baby.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-11-01 1:32 PM
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:35 PM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-11-01 1:40 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-11-01 1:59 PM
:laugh::hug:

Nice job on the workouts!!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-11-01 3:07 PM
Love everything about your report except the sleep deprivation :shocker!::hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-01 4:28 PM
:grin::hug:
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-11-01 7:20 PM
Sounds like you had fun too!:grin:
- By Limoboss Date 2018-11-01 3:35 PM
6 very easy miles along the ocean in Point Pleasant, NJ this morning. Beautiful morning to be running at the shore.
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-11-01 4:27 PM
I'm back! It was very telling. We were in Paris :hug: for about 8 days and got back last thursday. paris did seem to be in fall but when we got home, we were in deep fall and all the trees were so colorful. So beautiful!  Now we've had some rain and wind and we are quickly losing all the leaves. Plus it's so dark. Fall is practically over here. : pbbt:

paris was absolutely wonderful. DH and I had such a good time. I'd go back tomorrow. the highlights: we saw an opera which was fantastic!, so many amazing sites but particularly the orsay museum with impressionism paintings and loved the food! 

the probably stress fracture in foot was not fun the first couple days. it really swelled up even though i was wearing a shoe boot (not a full one bc i can't handle it :blush:). It did settle down fortunately and wasn't an issue. We walked 8 - 10 miles a day. I'm still super bummed not to have run in paris. We will have to go back! yeah, i'm thinking of the marathon. :grin: Then i got a cold the day after landing. Feeling better but hadn't been working out. Today was 20 minutes on rower and 30 minutes HIIT workout but low impact. :meh::roll:
Parent - By essel [us] Date 2018-11-01 4:58 PM
I was in Paris a month ago. I hoped to see fall then, but it looks like me missed it. I would go back in a sec. So much to see - very little time.
- By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-11-01 5:07 PM
My dear husband's chain-saw like snoring woke me up at 2am this morning, nd I never got back to sleep.:cry: Skipped the morning workout, but managed to drag my butt out for 3.5 miles in-between the days events, glad I got something done. And the trees were magnificent! It's peak foliage here, and that made me even more grateful I got out for a quick run today, since it's supposed to be all rainy tomorrow. The leaves never look as nice in the rain.:laugh:

A friend invited me to some lecture tonight on a nutrition program she's doing. They're going to try to sell me something.:meh: But I ate some Halloween candy to prepare myself for the lecture.: pbbt:
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-11-02 7:21 AM
3.1 miles on the Glacial Drumlin Trail while my son was at soccer practice. Beautiful night; saw (and heard) dozens of sandhill cranes landing in a marshy area as the sun was setting and reflecting off the water. Really pretty.
- By foggydoggy [us] Date 2018-11-02 10:44 AM
Did 3.5 miles on the treadmill.  I've been doing ramp ups on these.  I go progressively faster every 2 minutes until I have to slow down and I'm getting farther each run and therefore faster. I made it to 6.7 mph (9 minute pace starting from 11 minute pace) and took about a minute off the 5K split.  Still very slow but speeding up at least.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Turn the Page Thursday Dailies