Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / GAME DAY! Thursdailies
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 9:52 AM
My alma mater is in town tonight so we're going to the game! GUNS UP! :cool: I think I might have to bring a jacket. :shocker!:
What did you do today?
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-11 11:20 AM
Have fun at the game. Wear your red raider jacket of course!!

Grey and raining here today. I don't believe this is remnants of Michael, just previously forecast rain. Hope all in Michael's path stayed safe.

Probably a day off from running today, but I did get to the gym for strength and stretching. Nice run last night at Coventry Woods. I ran my normal ~7 mile loop, decided to not slog around on the hills and rocks, and had a great run. I didn't think I had a chance to break 70 as I hit the approximate halfway point in 37 and change, but the second half is easier, with just one decent but gentle climb and a few rollers and a lot of flat and down hill. I did well and felt energized and came in just over 69 minutes. It's been quite some time since I busted 70 on this somewhat challenging loop  Nice evening, somewhat warm, about 78 but I was sort of loving the last evening of "summer" in the fall. With the lower sun angle, almost dusky, it was quite pleasant.

Oh, I hadn't taken a trail spill in quite some time, but I did have a pretty good crash last night. Going up the last hill, mind was wandering, hopped over a small tree laying across the trail, and did not notice it was covered in vines. One of the vines caught my back foot and before you knew it the ground came up and grabbed me. Slam. No damage done at least.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:14 PM
Ooof. Glad there was no damage.

Your day off sounds good! :grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 12:59 PM
Oof is right! And you still beat 70 min! :cool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:12 PM
That run sounds great!  I always love hearing about other people's runs that go well.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 2:41 PM
Nice run, but bummer about the fall. That's the stuff that keeps me off trails anymore. I'm fully capable of tripping on a sidewalk.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-11 5:11 PM
Guns Up, Beat the Frogs! And have fun! :grin:

Nothing for me going today...I could use an off day and today's rain made it a good day to rest. :happy:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-12 6:25 AM
It was a very sloppy and actually quite boring game but it was fun!!! AND Tech prevailed. :cool:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 9:52 AM
7.3 miles with a friend. It was 55 degrees. Some parts were just a tad breezy. Resistance training.

Anyway, good run! Excited for the football game! :grin:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:20 AM
I have no interest in college football, so I have to ask, what is your alma mater?
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-11 11:25 AM
Pssst... Texas Tech.  :grin:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:14 PM
:grin: all good! Xtreme has it right!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 1:00 PM
55 degrees and breezy! :hug:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-10-11 1:16 PM
Have fun at the game !!!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:12 PM
Sounds like a good temperature for running!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 2:30 PM
Enjoy the game!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 10:11 AM
9km with Molly and friends...drama yesterday as Molly had a stand off with a big boar grizzly in my driveway.  Luckily Milo hadn't gone outside yet so I shut the door.  The bear looked totally chilled out like that big dog in Bugs Bunny
and turned away.  He came back about 90 minutes later but Molly was inside by then.

Woo hoo college football gets us Canadians really excited!!!!  My Alma Mater the Regina Rams play the Univ of Alberta Golden Bears (lots of bears in this post) tomorrow but I had to google that just now because nobody really cares. As for US College football I love those Horny Frogs from TCU!!!:hug:  "Our" offence is really like excellent!! :hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 10:35 AM
Boo to the horny frogs. Why you gotta root against me?

Oh my. I'm glad there was no drama for Molly! :hug:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 11:11 AM
I thought you would be impressed that I actually could figure out who your team was playing.  I don't really like the Froggies...but now if they win I'll feel guilty.  You people treat College football the same way my people treat hockey.:hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:14 PM
:grin: I know, I know, it's probably really annoying!
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 12:19 PM
Well we all know you're dedicated just by your name! :hug:  When you have been here for a few more years we will really take it seriously!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:20 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 10:14 PM
Woo hoo…..the frogs lost!  I don't have to feel guilty :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-12 6:24 AM
:cool::cool::cool: yesssss
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:21 AM
certainly a lot of bears in your post!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 11:59 AM
thanks for bearing with me:hug:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 1:05 PM
:shocker!: on the bear encounter!

A few years ago when we lived in a more rural area, Apollo got out the back door before I could put a leash on him. He ran into the neighbor's yard where there sat a giant black bear. :shocker!: Apollo ran up to him and literally bounced off of him (hysterical now but I was completely panicking at the time), and the bear got up and wandered into the woods. Apollo followed him, and I kept calling him and calling him, but he just went into the woods after the bear. All of a sudden I heard the bear hiss loudly (who knew bears could hiss?), and then all of a sudden here comes Apollo running back into our yard with a big doofy smile on his face and his tongue lolling out of his mouth, so happy that he made a new friend. :laugh:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 2:13 PM
Yeah it gets a little surreal with a stand off...I had bear spray and you quickly realize how small your dog looks in comparison.  Almost all bears don't want an encounter and thankfully this big guy was part of that group.:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 5:50 PM
:hug:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-10-11 1:16 PM
Would love to see some pictures of where you live.   It must be pretty awesome if you have grizzlies in the driveway :happy:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 1:48 PM
GO GOLDEN BEARS!!!  WOO HOO!!
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 2:08 PM
:roll:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:10 PM
:mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 2:14 PM
Actually to make it worse I would support the Dino's over the Rams :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:26 PM
Calgary.  :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 4:16 PM
God's country :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 4:30 PM
Just don't ask me to cheer for their sports teams.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-11 4:54 PM
I'm not really into any of that anyway....this all went terribly wrong trying to discuss alma maters and college football like those wacky Americans :hug:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 10:43 AM
5 mi, 70F, muggy. Raining now, and thunderstorms expected this afternoon.

My agenda for this evening: making a cake tonight for the kid's birthday, which is tomorrow.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:21 AM
mmmm cake
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:15 PM
cake :hug::hug: Happy Birthday to the kid!

Saw your reply about your dinner and your job. That sounds so cool!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 1:05 PM
Happy birthday to herself! :hug:

What kind of cake?
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 2:38 PM
We had it narrowed down to two: the usual chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting or a chocolate-PB swirl Bundt cake with chocolate and PB glazes. We opted for the layer cake, but I'm going to make the Bundt cake later because it looks so damn good.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 5:51 PM
:drool:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:13 PM
Good luck with the cake!
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-11 10:47 AM
So far today I've done a lot of "posting".  Completed age-graded results and updated standings for our USATF Assn's Grand Prix race from last Sunday & posted them online.  After that I scanned & posted PDF files on a presentation and information on stretching & heel pain from the speaker (a podiatrist) at our running club's meeting last night. Interestingly, this guy spoke at one of our meetings in 1989 and he and I were the only ones at both meetings :laugh:

I'll teach spin class at 6pm this evening.  I may also be teaching a 30 minute HIIT format cycling class at 5pm as the instructor just sent out an email looking for someone to cover it for her.  I offered & just need to wait for confirmation no one else offered to do it first.

While not approaching what folks in Florida & areas in the path of Michael are experiencing, our weather is FUGLY!  ~79 degrees with 86% humidity and a dew point of 77 :cry:  It will break overnight and barely reach 60 degrees after sunrise tomorrow.  10-day forecast shows just 2 days where the HIGH temp will reach 60! :shocker!: I guess fall has decided it's time to arrive.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:23 AM
that is terrible weather for this time of year.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 11:35 AM
I'm so ready for this humid weather to end. Ugh.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:16 PM
Funny how Texas got the temps before y'all did.
But yeah, we will probably be back to 90 at least once more.
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:19 AM
Today I got up at my regular time, got ready, woke my daughter at 6:10 and very quickly did her hair for picture day and then left the house for a run. The picture day thing is important, her dad can't really do her hair but when I told her my plans this morning and that I might not be able to do it she said it was ok, because what I was doing is more important.

Anyway, I ran with Beto O'Rourke this morning! Me and a few hundred friends. It was really fun. There was a big crowd, Beto got there at around 7 and spoke for 10-15 minutes. Then a short (2.5 mile) run followed by donuts and photos w the candidate. I started to drive home but it was a beautiful day and I was at the lake, so I parked my car and ran another 3 miles. I am so excited to vote for him!  This is a really fun campaign event.

Now just work, etc. etc.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-11 11:24 AM
You candidate is taking running for office to the next level!    :groan:  :happy:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:53 AM
he certainly is. I like it, much easier for me to get out for a morning run with a candidate than a weeknight rally.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:15 PM
Neat idea!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 11:35 AM
Beto! :cool:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:17 PM
That sounds like fun! I bet it was a huge crowd! :grin::grin:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 1:08 PM
That's so awesome! :grin: Glad you got an extra 3 miles in on a beautiful day too.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-12 7:36 AM
that sounds so fun! we did the bike ride with him earlier this year around White Rock Lake - he's such a great speaker and very down to earth.
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-11 11:30 AM
12.1 miles this morning......one solo, three fast with one skinny blonde, another three solo, then finished up with another skinny blonde.  She and I were at a perfect spot (near of big pond in a park) when the sun started to rise, so we saw all sorts of colors.  I told her I knew someone was going to scream & yell at me at work today (something I have no control over, but I am the bearer of bad news), so I was going to think how lucky I was to see the beautiful sunrise when they are telling me how inept I am.:roll::meh::laugh:  It was a lovely 55* degrees, so it was the first time I have worn shorts sleeves instead of a tank in a bajillion months. 

The whole GUNS UP thing is the only reason I am glad neither kid wanted to visit Tech. (I wanted them to as it is a good school for both their majors.....even the ridiculous major!) I know it is a harmless phrase, but my hatred of guns would never have allowed me to say it.  Instead, I just utter the nonsensical HOOK 'EM and GIG 'EM!:laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-11 12:18 PM
:laugh: I hear ya. I don't like guns either but I don't have an issue with it. I feel like someday, they'll likely come up with something else :wtf: Not sure though.

That's a nice run and I hope the work stuff isn't too terrible. :sad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 1:09 PM
Good luck with the work news! Sounds like a lovely morning for a run! :hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:16 PM
Good luck with the work stuff - sounds like you have a good plan for getting through it.  :hug:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 2:31 PM
Work would be great if it weren't for the crazy coworkers. :meh:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 12:58 PM
I have done nothing today. : pbbt: The calf is still sore from Sunday :meh: so I am taking another complete rest day. Tomorrow I will walk at the very least, run if I can, or maybe go to the gym and bike. I need an outlet!!!

My dad's knee replacement went well Tuesday. He came home yesterday and so far I've been making sure he gets his meds on time to stay ahead of the pain and that he's doing his home exercises and icing appropriately. He goes to his first PT appointment tomorrow. He is already walking much better/faster with a walker now than he was before surgery! He's in pain, but it seems to be managed with the meds, and I think he is making great progress. Yay medical science! :grin:

My mom is making things difficult though. :roll: She is mad or jealous or ??? that my dad can do things that she couldn't do immediately after her hip surgery last year, so she's taking it out on him, which isn't helpful. :meh: So I am trying to mitigate that without pissing her off (if mom's not happy, ain't nobody happy) in addition to taking care of my dad. Mom got mad that I was getting up in the middle of the night to give Dad his meds on schedule, and I told her we did that with her too. She didn't remember that, which is why she got mad, but then somehow she was still mad that I was doing it. :wtf: She was also mad at my dad for "showing off" that he could put his own socks and shoes on before he left the hospital yesterday. :roll: If I survive these next few days I should be up for sainthood. : pbbt:
Parent - By JimGo1 Date 2018-10-11 1:14 PM
Parents :laugh::cry:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:17 PM
Gah, long-term marriages sure do have their quirks, don't they? 

Would foam rolling the calf help?
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 5:51 PM
Foam rolling the calf would probably help, but up until today it was very sore to the touch. I will try tomorrow though!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 7:59 PM
Oh, wow, I knew the cramping was bad but for it still to be that sore so many days later... yikes. :sad:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 2:31 PM
Oy, family tension! :shocker!:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-12 7:39 AM
my mom his having her knee replaced next Wednesday, but she's going to a rehab facility after for 4 to 6 weeks. mbarney is secretly stoked about that because he won't have to clean up coffee grounds from the counter while she's gone :roll:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-13 7:02 AM
Just catching up on this. I hope things have gotten better with your Mom. Sounds like your Dad is making good progress!! Glad you could be there with them. :hug::hug:
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-10-11 1:13 PM
Happy Thursday,

Just did a basic gym workout - usual barbell stuff and then will do yoga tonight !   Anybody from here down in panhandle of Florida ?  Wow that looks like a nasty storm.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:17 PM
Happy Thursday!
- - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 2:26 PM
Yesterday and today I did stuff for a research study I was taking part in.  The basic plan of the study was to run a bunch of women who had undergone chemotherapy for breast cancer through some tests of their skeletal muscle strength and cardiovascular capacity, and then match those women with healthy controls, who undergo the same tests.  The point of the thing is to compare the two groups to assess the degree to which chemotherapy affects muscle and heart capacity.

So yesterday I spent the afternoon in a MRI, doing various exercises while being scanned.  Today I did a VO2max test on an exercise bike.  I didn't really love being stuffed in a MRI for so long, but it was manageable (at some points I kept repeating "This too shall pass" to myself :laugh:).  What was kinda gratifying was that the people running the tests kept telling me, sincerely, how fit I am.  Compared to the people I hang out with, I'm always the slowest, least fit person in the group, so it was a rare and quite pleasant experience for someone to be impressed with my fitness.  :laugh:: pbbt:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-11 2:36 PM
It's reassuring to know that you're in better shape than you perceive yourself to be!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 5:53 PM
:laugh:

Were you the study group or the control group? One of my coworkers is a runner who went through breast cancer treatment 13 years ago. :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 7:59 PM
I was in the control group.  :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-12 12:01 PM
:hug:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-11 3:54 PM Edited 2018-10-11 4:08 PM
Hope Nooner is ok. We just had a wild ride. Haven't ventured outside. I had off since lunch and took a nap. Woke up when power went out and alarm went out. Over 4" of rain in < an hour. Possibly two tornados. Everything is flooded - some streets to the top of signs. Rows of power lines down. Massive trees. I heard an explosion behind us. My family was scattered about the city. Steven is home for fall break since last night. All are home now except Jacob who is stuck at a friend's house.

And I rode the stationary bike for an hour and did a shoulders and ab video this morning and went to a yoga class later. Seems trivial now

Edit - I live on a main road and the constant sirens of fire and rescue are unnerving to say the least :meh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-11 4:20 PM
Holy shit. We are driving and trying to get to Jacob. So many roads closed. We went by my in-laws house and the creek 7-8 hours down flooded so bad the road is just gone and there are cars in the creek bed. The creek bed is now easily 10' wider than before. My work is gonna be sucky for a long time. So glad we are ok.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 4:29 PM
:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-11 5:09 PM
They are now saying 7" of rain in <90 min. Our entire city is without power
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 5:22 PM
Oh wow.  :sad:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-11 5:54 PM
We are getting hit here in NoVA (at my parents' house) but so far nothing like y'all are getting. Stay safe! :hug:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-11 7:10 PM
First post marathon spin, 45 minute class. Felt great after! Now to work on my eating. Dinner was a green smoothie.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-11 8:00 PM
Great!  Just a smoothie for dinner?  I'd be awake at 3:00 am, ravenous.  :laugh::cry:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / GAME DAY! Thursdailies