Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / October Book Club
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-11 9:05 AM
Tell us about what you're reading, or just drink some wine and gossip, whatever you like.

I just stared My Struggle, Book 2: A Man in Love by Karl Ove Knausgård. I REALLY liked Book 1 and so far this one is every bit as great. I'm about 80 pages in and all that he's talked about is a child's birthday party and going out on a balcony for a cigarette. Somehow it's enthralling. This guy can write.:cool:
Parent - By Photocat [us] Date 2018-10-11 10:36 AM
Just started Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk.

I really liked Damned so I thought I'd try another of his.
- By cowboyjunkie Date 2018-10-11 12:38 PM
I read Taft by Ann Patchett. Been going through most of her books this summer.

Started North by Scott and Jenny Jurek a couple of days ago. I feel like I am right on the trail with them. I did follow his journey on the AT somewhat when it was happening so it's kinda neat to get a more inside look at what was going on day to day.

The AT record has been broken a couple of times since then and I find myself thinking the record seems less and less "prestigious" or something now that it's broken regularly. Anyway, not so much interested in the records but the experience. I've read a few books on various AT treks now.
- - By jennyO Date 2018-10-12 4:00 PM
I'm listening to North by Team Jurek and really love it.  Also listening to Karin Slaughter's police procedural Fractured.  Almost finished reading Sarah Waters's The Night Watch.  It's been kind of slow going.  Next up, I promised to reread Huck Finn so I can talk about it with my daughter, who's reading it for Honors English.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-13 5:17 PM
North is fantastic. :cool:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-13 5:49 PM
I just ordered it earlier today :hug:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-16 12:22 PM
North - :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By jennyO Date 2018-10-16 5:52 PM
It's fun hearing their voices reading the audiobook.  Scott has funny accents for "Horty" and Speedgoat. :laugh:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-17 6:38 AM
I'd love to hear their voices!  I'm going to see if my library has the audiobook version.

PS - we served Speedgoat coffee at our aid station this past weekend.
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-10-17 11:37 AM
:cool:
- By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-16 12:30 PM
Don't read too much into these: (pun not intended)  :wink:

Anatomy of an Affair - Dave Carder 
- very good: delves into how various types of affairs and "close calls" happen - stages types, patterns of justifications...

Married but Lonely - David E. Clarke
- bleh: meant for women, stereotypical behaviors and sex roles (all men don't emote, all men are intimacy averse, etc)

Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby
- re-reading for a bit of light-hearted relief.
- bummed that I missed the movie when it came to town. Will have to wait for the dvd

I've got a bunch of other stuff in progress, or in one of the piles...
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-10-17 6:42 AM
Finished I'll Be Gone in the Dark.  Not my normal thing, but a good changes of pace.  Made me think of the forum's NorCal peeps since a lot of it is set around there (Mt. Diablo is discussed at some length).
Parent - By jennyO Date 2018-10-17 11:39 AM
She talks a bit about a neighborhood of Eichler-designed homes called Rancho San Miguel.  It is literally a mile from our house.  We run all the time on the bike path the GSK used to peep into backyards, and I've often wondered which houses were the ones he broke into there.  So creepy!
- - By sideshowbob Date 2018-10-17 2:59 PM
About half way through Pat Conroy's South of Broad .I enjoy his writing, but this is not his best, IMHO .Seems a bit incredulous .Our local independent hardware store had this for $ .50 ; just couldn't say  no :grin:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-20 11:12 AM
I put Prince of Tides down, not because I didn't like it, but because I got distracted by two or three other books.  I plan on getting back to it...
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-10-22 4:31 PM
I think I  read that one a few years ago because of the name. (I have South Carolina roots.) It left me exhausted and depressed.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2018-10-22 8:07 PM
H’mmm —we shall see
Parent - By noquitter [us] Date 2018-10-23 5:26 AM
I'm not saying it's a bad book. Just not what you call a "feel good"one.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-20 11:13 AM
Killing Commendatore - the library came through for me :cool::hug:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-22 3:41 PM
Just finished.  I liked this book; I might even rank it near the top of his works.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-10-30 4:48 AM
You finished it in two days :wtf::shocker!:
For some reason I liked "Colorless Tsukuru" better, only taking into account his recent work.
I just thought he re-hashed too much of his previous work here, only now the protagonist is a painter.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-30 10:27 AM
So many familiar themes, and at times it bugged me.  What sold me on this were the last few paragraphs - the power of belief.  Colorless was my favorite, and I've got it on cd to listen to on my trip to FL in a week.  Maybe I'll re-rank them later.

that's all i'll say so; i don't want to spoil it for anybody
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-10-30 11:10 AM
Don't want to spoil it either, so I'm not going into details as well :wink:
As I've re-iterated many times about Murakami, I'm rather a fan of his more realist romantic work with maybe some infusion of magic realism like in Colorless.
I'd have a hard time ranking them though. I really enjoyed "Sputnik Sweetheart" for example, but did I enjoy it more than "Norwegian Wood" or "South of the Border, West of the Sun"? that's hard to say.
What a Luxury Problem to not be able to rank your 5 favorite books of an Author. :laugh::cool:
- By noquitter [us] Date 2018-10-30 5:12 AM
Reading The Couple Next Door for our new neighborhood book club (something I'm pretty darn excited about). Plot: pretty good. Characters: not very interesting. It's about a woman who goes next door with her husband for dinner with another couple and leaves the sleeping baby at home. They plan to check on it every half hour, but that doesn't work out because the baby is kidnapped in between visits.  Interesting premise but none of the characters are anyone I'd want to have dinner with even if they just lived next door.:roll:
- By Tommeke Date 2018-10-30 5:18 AM
Portnoy's Complaint - Philip Roth. A Jewish young man visits his psychoanalyst and talks -explicitly - about his life story and the contradictions between his overbearing Jewish upbringing and his vivid and sordid sexuality (was written in 1969).
I thought it was a pretty good book although much rawer than one of his later books that I read.
You do get a bit tired of the whole self-pity and complaining after awhile though.

For some reason I had the voice of George Costanza in my head while reading this, and for the dialogue of his parents George's or Seinfeld's parents from the series, with the overbearing mom and the issues of the dad :laugh:
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-30 7:31 AM
I finished My Struggle, Book 2: A Man in Love a couple of nights ago. Excellent. Knausgård takes the everyday and makes it immensely interesting. Extremely open, honest and observant. I started My Struggle, Book 3: Boyhood Island last night.

In between I read the second book in the Griffin and Sabine trilogy, Sabine's Notebook. Very fun.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / October Book Club