Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Just for Spin: The TuesDailies
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 6:48 AM
Tell us about your workout - or lack thereof!

What did you eat last night and/or this morning?

Question of the Day: Most of this group is or has been married. How did you and your partner decide to get hitched? Was there a romantic proposal involved? A ring? Was it an amazing moment, or an underwhelming business-like discussion? Tell us all the details.

Alternative Question of the Day: For those who have never been married, what is one thing you hear your married friends complain about that leaves you thinking "So glad I don't have to deal with that"?
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-10-09 8:05 AM Edited 2018-10-09 8:09 AM
hi everyone! just dropping in to say that Emery Charlotte, 6 b 15 oz, 19.75 inches, arrived at 6:36 am on October 8 (yesterday, Monday). labor started at 10:30 pm Sunday with mild contrax 7-8 min apart. By 2 am contrax were 3-4 min apart and we headed to the birth center. Deep in the agonizing fun of transition by 4:30. Labor was insane, as it is :laugh:, and I felt the urge to push/poop at about 6:30. 4 big pushes, with all of the attendant horrible pain :laugh:, and she was in my arms! Aaron was a rockstar and massaged my back through every single contraction. His thumbs are tired :laugh: I managed not to swear at him or tell him I hate him. Haha. Anyway, home now, and we're adjusting. P seems ok so far - have had my first adventures in tandem nursing, and the first thing she said this morning to Emery was "hi babe!" Haven't slept in 48 hours, but such is the newborn life. I hope you all enjoyed the TMI there :laugh:

so yeah, no workout except labor and delivery :laugh: Hoping to start a slow and careful return to fitness soon.

oh and QOTD: Been married for 4.5 years. Our "proposal" was nothing close to romantic. I adore my husband - he is truly the best man I know - but he is not a romantic. I basically told him at some point that I didn't want to move to a new house with him (we were discussing moving out of our first rental together) unless we were engaged. I sort of gave him a timeline. The end of the timeline took place during a vacation with his family, who kept asking ME if we were getting married (not him, of course). Finally I told him we needed to say something. He said "ok, I'll say something before the end of our trip." The last night of our trip, we were all at dinner, and I stated loudly, "Aaron has an announcement" and looked pointedly at him. He said "It appears we're getting married." and that's it! we were married 11 months later. ROMANCE
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 8:14 AM
:hug::hug::hug: Congratulations! So glad to hear that baby and mama are both healthy and happy and that everyone is adjusting. :hug::hug::hug:

Your marriage proposal story is awesome. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-09 8:14 AM
Congrats on baby Emery.  :happy:  :hug:

Your proposal story is not too far off of mine.  :blush:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 8:16 AM
Awesome...congrats....although Mookie would have been a cool name:hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 8:19 AM
Congratulations!!! :hug::hug: I love her name!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 8:41 AM
congrats on the new addition to your family :hug:

and :laugh::laugh: about your engagement story
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 8:44 AM
Congratulations!
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-10-09 8:51 AM
:hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:06 AM
congrats on the new baby!

That proposal is hilarious.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 9:16 AM
Congratulations!! I love the name! :hug: and the wild ride gets even wilder. :laugh::hug:

And OMG about the proposal. Lol!!!!
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:34 AM
Congratulations on the new arrival!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:34 AM
CONGRATS!!!  I literally just clapped for you.....I am so happy.:hug::hug:
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:28 AM
Wow, you win the whole thread! Congratulations!!!!
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-10-09 10:48 AM
congratulations!  :hug:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:59 AM
Congratulations!  Was wondering how you were since you hadn't posted here for a while.  Very glad everything went well.

I didn't know this when we met at the FE brunch in Philly last spring but our daughter will be making my DW and I grandparents of a baby girl in just under 3 months!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-10-09 4:59 PM
aw, how wonderful! :hug:
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:37 PM
Wonderful news, Ed!!
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-09 11:42 AM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:29 PM
Congratulations!
Parent - By runnergirl4 (BJ Queen) Date 2018-10-09 1:03 PM
Emery:hug:
Congratulations, LOVE the name and glad everything went smoothly!
Parent - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2018-10-09 4:59 PM
thank you all! :hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-09 5:29 PM
Congrats to all of you! :grin::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 6:43 PM
:hug::hug: Congrats! Welcome to Emery!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:30 PM
What wonderful news!! 

......but the poor man's THUMBS :shocker!::cry:       :grin:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-10 1:36 PM
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-09 8:11 AM Edited 2018-10-09 8:15 AM
6 miles last night after work on the local trail. I sort of zipped around at a nice pace, but still can't quite break 51 for the route. I guess that's my next goal for this loop. Grey and humid, but not too hot with some drizzle. Walked the Lady last night around the block after dark and the mist was so thick it looked like space dust floating in the beam of my headlamp.

Plan to get the Lady out after work for a short dog jog on the trails, probably out by the lake.

Food. Dinner was baby farfelle pasta with a sauce of hot italian sausage, plum tomatoes, broccolini, basil, and red pepper flakes. It was tasty and spicy. I broke my fast with a mix of shredded wheat and cheerios topped with sliced strawberries, and a banana on the side as always.

QOTD: Nothing amazing if I recall. I just sort of popped the question during a trip back to Ohio from TX to visit the folks for Christmas. I don't think I had a ring yet either. Oops. We told my parents before we left over breakfast at the Green Leaf Restaurant. Boring here.
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-10-09 8:54 AM
Your dinner sounds amazing and I don't even know what baby farfelle pasta is... :wtf:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:03 AM
small butterflies :happy:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:07 AM
farfalle is in high rotation here, since it is one of the 'cuter' pastas.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:36 AM
My weirdo son had an issue with farfalle pasta when he was little (and a boy:roll:).
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:35 AM
Not boring :hug:
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:30 AM
7.7 miles with my fast friend, attacking the hills (of which there were many). Great workout; feeling a bit weak now.

Been married 8 years tomorrow. Took my soon-to-be-wife out on a dinner cruise, nervously sucked down three gin & tonics, went to the back of the boat as the sun was setting over the water, and awkwardly rambled on for a while before finally saying "Well I guess I should get on with it" and whipping out the ring. I'd like to think it was a pretty good proposal despite my definite lack of romantic ability.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:35 AM
:hug::hug: very good!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 6:42 PM
:laugh: 

Sorry about the :laugh:. But :laugh::laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-09 5:41 PM
Muggy sweaty 5 miles along the river at lunchtime on an empty stomach filled shortly thereafter by an angus roast beef and vidalia cheese brioche sandwich.

I'm pretty sentimental and romantic but it was more a businesslike discussion in the summer of 1980 because I was going away to law school in Pittsburgh and she was moving to Michigan for a job so we were figuring out our future together and decided it would work getting married the following summer and we did. We picked out the ring together, post engagement.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 8:24 AM
9km with Molly and the pack:hug:

Stir fry last night.....oatmeal concoction this morning

I don't really hear much from the married folks about their woes and if it starts I tend to ignore/avoid it.  :hug:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:35 AM
Nice run with Molly
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:36 AM
Molly:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:44 AM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:34 AM
:hug::hug:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 8:27 AM
No workout today. My left calf is more sore today than it was yesterday. :wtf: Maybe some light massage and foam rolling later if I get around to it.

Last night we ordered in Chinese because I had a late meeting in the city and didn't feel like cooking at 8:30 at night. I had sweet and sour chicken with pork fried rice. Breakfast this morning was a smoothie with frozen mixed berries, milk, yogurt, protein powder, and chia seeds. I usually add a few drops of vanilla but I forgot.

Proposal story: for my first marriage, my then-boyfriend made me dress up for our first anniversary dinner (which caused an argument :roll:) and took me to where we had our first date and proposed to me there. The ring didn't come for a few months, and his proposal was literally, "I think we should get married, is that something you would want to do?" I wasn't even sure he was proposing. : pbbt: For my second/current/hopefully last marriage, it was a random Tuesday, and DH and I had just gotten back from running after work. I had changed clothes and was sitting on the couch, and he went over to his work bag, pulled the ring box out, and came over to me while I was sitting on the couch and proposed. My first response was, "You aren't seriously doing this right now!" and he was like, "yup!" and so I said yes. :laugh: The end.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:09 AM
mmm chinese food.

Sorry your calf is sore.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:37 AM
Take it easy on that calf!
Bummer about your calf!

You're seriously doing this right now? :laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:38 PM
your dinner sounds good!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:39 PM
Tuesday is usually the worst day after a Sunday marathon.  I hope the calf is better tomorrow!
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-09 8:49 AM
13.75 gallo-miles - kept HR between 138 and 144, mostly - avg 10:42/mi
I have another run with the group tonight: hoping for 6-9 miles

last night - DW pan fried chicken and made a yummy brocoli salad.  Was good...

looking forward to reading everyone else's responses later tonight.
  we never dated.  we knew next to nothing about each other
  no, she didn't get pregnant on a one-night fling, nor did anyone arrange our marriage. 
  it's just the way things worked in our sub-culture: I went to the leader of the church, submitted my proposal.  He called her and passed it along.  She pondered it a few days and accepted it. 
  why her?  as bad as this sounds, I have very liitle clue.  I think it was her smile and her eyes.
  why did she say "yes?" I have even less of a clue...
  needless to say, it's been a roller coaster, but I hear others who knew each other really well, dated a long time, and all that, have their struggles also.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:09 AM
it is interesting to read stories like yours, and yes, all marriages have their struggles.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:39 AM
I think you an tell a lot about a person by their smile. :hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 10:39 AM
I think if people say they have never had any struggles, they're lying or clueless... : pbbt: it is interesting how different cultures can be.
:grin::grin::hug:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 8:53 AM
Workout: 1.5 miles this morning. PF seems to be better. Still a little sore, but I think the time off gave it a chance to actually heal.

Food: Last night by the time I got home I was hangry. Rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, plus a "harvest bowl" of butternut squash, sauteed kale, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, and cranberries. Yum!

Story:
With my late wife - part 1 was that I was hanging out with her on the couch at her apartment and spaced out for a few seconds. She asked me what I was thinking about and I told her I was thinking about where we would live if we got married. One thing lead to another and then we were sort of unofficially engaged. About a month later once I had bought the ring, we were out earlier in the evening with her niece and my "little brother" (through Big Brothers/Big Sisters). We got back and then went out for a walk to the local park, and out in the middle of a grass field with nobody around us is where I popped the question. Come to think of it, any of you who have run Boston have run right past that spot - it's the park on the runners' right at Cleveland Circle, about Mile 22.5, where the course turns from Chestnut Hill Ave onto Beacon St.

With my fiancee - I put together a book that was similar to the kids' book "Green Eggs and Ham". Except it was "Green Poutine and Syrup". And the pictures were all cartoon-ized pictures of me and her, and the rhyming callouts and thought bubbles told the story of how we met and the time we've been together and lead up to the proposal. We read the book down by the lake on a Friday night after she arrived, sitting on a park bench looking out at the water. It made us both laugh, it made us both cry, and when we got to "that" section she said yes :whew:. Then I got the bottle of champagne I had stashed in my car and we drank it. It was a very fun night. My longtime running buddy knew I was popping the question, so he organized a little party for the next night but didn't give away the surprise. The cover story was that my girlfriend was in town so we'd do a casual wine and dessert gathering. The party ended up being sort of an informal engagement party for us - and a chance for my fiancee to meet a lot of my local friends. I tipped a few attendees off by sending out an e-mail with a photo of the 2 of us and the ring. That was a very fun night. And then the next day (Sunday) was my neighborhood block party, so she met a bunch of my neighbors. A conversation I had several times: Neighbor: So, did you have a good weekend? Me: Yeah, I had a REALLY GOOD weekend! Neighbor: Oh, great. What was so good about it? Me: Well, we have some news...:cool:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:11 AM
that is a great proposal Tim! The book sounds so cool.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 9:18 AM
:hug::hug: that is So awesome! :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:40 AM
Both stories are very sweet.:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:45 AM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:33 AM
Great proposal Tim!! :hug::hug:
Parent - By runnergirl4 (BJ Queen) Date 2018-10-09 11:36 AM
Love this, congratulations :hug:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:33 PM
That’s a great story about your recent proposal, but I’m curious as to what did you rhyme with “Syrup?”
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:18 PM
It was a segment about deciding where to live. She’s going to move here first. Once my youngest finishes high school in a little under 5 years, we’ll either decide to stay, or we’ll move up there. And I even threw in a little dig at Trump:

How shall we do this, Canadian woman?
For the next five years I am shackled to Newton.

We’ll set up shop South of the border
Even though your President has a mental disorder.
Then in the future for a move we’ll gear up
To the mythical land of green poutine and syrup.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:21 PM
Well played. :happy:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-10 5:45 AM
Tim, maybe when you move to Canada you could start working for Hallmark! This is really impressive!
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:33 PM
Great job Tim! You really put some effort into this one!:cool::hug:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:24 PM
I had a ton of fun putting it together!:hug::grin: And I put a lot of time into it.

And it was a little strange because I wanted to tell her all about it but I couldn’t because it would have blown the surprise.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:34 PM
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:36 PM
I'm so happy for you !!!
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 8:56 AM
7.11 mi this morning.

Dinner last night: apple-pie Cheddar on apple-cinnamon brioche as a grilled cheese sandwich, with some potato salad. Breakfast today was oatmeal and a banana.

QOTD: Last night, I made pancakes for dinner for the rest of the family because they asked nicely.

Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:12 AM
what kind of cheese? Brie? cheddar?
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 9:15 AM
It's a white Cheddar with pieces of apple in it. Can't really tell if there are any apple-pie-associated spices in the cheese, but it's really tasty. Not a super-sharp Cheddar, but enough to get nice contrast with the sweet pieces of apple. No idea who makes it -- I found it at the store last night in a display with chunks of cheese.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:46 AM
OMG that sounds amazing, as does your sandwich!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:42 AM
That sounds delicious!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 10:40 AM
I can always count on your meals being just a LITTLE fancier than mine :laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:33 AM
Your family didn't want that? SHEESH! : pbbt:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:04 AM
workout was 8.25 miles. It is pouring now.

last night I had a beyond burger, cottage cheese and raspberries for breakfast.

I have been married almost 20 years. There was no romantic proposal, and no ring (at my request) because my DH was in school and more debt seems silly. He was getting close to finishing school and looking at residency programs, and I was pretty clear that I wasn't going to move with him unless we were married. Not an ultimatum exactly, but he could move or do whatever made sense for him but I was not going to join him. Anyway, the proposal was just at our house on our couch, he was trying to get me to go where we went for our first date but I didn't feel like it. We had just come back from some event at his parent's house and since we lived together they refused to speak to me or acknowledge my presence, so I was cranky. Anyway, we got engaged, ended up not having to move and we are still together.

I think on Thursday I am going to try to leave my house early to go for a run with our Senate candidate! it is picture day, so my DH will have to do our daughter's hair, but a messy ponytail in her first grade picture is worth it.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 9:07 AM
Beyond Burgers are so good, although I've talked to some people who don't like them because they're so meat-like. :shocker!:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:12 AM
I love Beyond Burgers. We get the Blue Apron burger meals and R has the meat burgers I have the meal with beyond burgers...it gives us 2 dinners worth
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 9:16 AM
They also make an Italian sausage that's pretty good, but is semi-difficult to find. I got them once at WF but every time I've gone back looking for them, the shelf has been empty. (Aldi actually makes a really good veg Italian sausage.)
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:24 AM
I've seen those and not bought them. Will pick some up next time.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:47 AM
WTF with your in-laws? :roll:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:28 AM
basically, like a lot of people they use their religion as an excuse to be assholes.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:29 PM
Hey, at least they get points for trying. My in-laws have no excuse.: pbbt:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:21 PM
they don't try.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 3:26 PM
:roll:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:48 AM
It is mind blowing how many Beto signs are in Allen.  If he is popular in Collin County, then we may have a chance!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:28 AM
that is encouraging. I am not getting my hopes up too much.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 10:35 AM
Cool run planned!  Is it a group type thing?

I love reading the stories :laugh::hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:53 AM
it is a group thing posted on his fb page, I'm sure it will be packed but I still want to go!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:32 AM
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:28 PM
BETO!!!  :hug::hug:  Enjoy that run.  one of my few regrets about leaving Texas is not getting to vote for Beto.  I did get to run with him in McAllen in December :cool:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:11 AM
5.2 unseasonably warm miles this morning.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:47 AM
It looks like fall here, but it doesn't feel like fall! :wtf:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:48 AM
:cool:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:32 AM
Come on The Beard. You've been hitched for awhile. Tell us! :hug:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:30 PM
Beard is an “Old School L&O Dailies” Purist. It’s all about the run. No more, no less.

Come on Beard, you can do it. A little bit of change is good.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 9:13 AM
Good news – cardio equipment is mostly back at newgym.  Bad news – stairmonsters are on backorder :cry:  35 min slog in the 71*, 100% humidity that didn’t feel THAT terrible.  Then 30 min on the new bike.  Newgym switched from Life Fitness to Precor.  I know Precor is a good TM brand, but I’m on the fence about the bike.  It’s different.  I’ll get used to it.  I don’t use it much anyway. Then a Back/Bi video with the HITT leg stuff at the end (fun!).

Awesomeness news – Steven got offered an internship for next summer in… DALLAS! :laugh: He has a friend who works there that he can live with.  I am SO HAPPY about this.  There is NOTHING for him here.  Fast food doesn’t even hire college kids, as we have so many unskilled/uneducated people here. He was a math research assistant last summer at school, but I’m glad he got a real job in a real place – even if it is in the pit of hell. :wink:

QOTD – I was 19 when I met DH, and he proposed 7 months later.  I vaguely remember talking about it – that I didn’t want to get married until I graduated college.  And we looked at rings.  But, he did surprise me with the official proposal.  It was at Biltmore – outside under the canopy on the left side of the house.  He took my picture by the tree beforehand – that was his excuse so I wouldn’t see him move the ring from one pocket to the other…  He did good. :hug:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 9:26 AM
Great news about the internship for Steven, especially knowing about it this far ahead of time! :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:48 AM
Great news about the internship! :cool:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 9:52 AM
Steven will have lots of people to call in an emergency in Dallas. Of course, he won't care about that, but you can feel comfortable knowing you have friends here "just in case".:hug:

Who will he be working for?
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 10:45 AM
Thanks! I'll PM you.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-10 7:54 AM
yeah - just let us know and we can all take turns stalking him and reporting back on his activities :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-10 9:08 AM
:laugh: I don't want to know! I like living in ignorance and burying my head in the sand :blush:

I'm toying with the idea of letting him and DS2 drive out there together and then fly DS2 home. 1000 miles is a long way to drive by himself, and I think it'd be fun for them. They will be 18&21 by then.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:30 AM
that is terrific news about the internship! Where will he be?
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:32 AM
Come visit him and we can have a big FE! :hug:

Glad that some cardio equipment is back! :cool:

Sweet proposal :hug:
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:02 AM
After three days of long/longish runs, I did 50 minutes on the elliptical this morning and will go to boxing class tonight.

Last night, I made pizza with a cauliflower crust and topped it veggies and chicken.  This morning, I ate a leftover piece of it and a grapefruit.

Blazerman asked my parents "for my hand" the day before he and I were going to Florida for a week.  My dad was a cigar smoker and blazerman gave him a good one that night. The next day, my dad drove us to the airport and my dad was apparently smoking the cigar in the car on the way.  The second night we were in Florida, he took me to a boardwalk on the ocean, got down on one knee and popped the question.  It was all very sweet.  He had a ring made which has three small stones on either side of the diamond.  Since that is fancier than I am, I decided not to add a wedding band as it would be too much for me.  22 years later, I still just wear that ring.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:31 AM
that is a sweet engagement story.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 10:42 AM
That is sweet :hug: blazerman is obviously a keeper.

I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring in 2004.  I was more upset that I wasn't upset. I just wear my $29 plain band.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:31 AM
Do you make your crust or buy it?

Your ring sounds beautiful :hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:35 PM
I have made it, but now buy it already prepared because I am lazy.:laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-10 8:04 AM
What brand do you buy?
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 12:10 PM
In an upcoming issue, we're doing a story about alternative uses for cauliflower, including a pizza crust. It wasn't too bad, actually.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:38 PM
We have been making cauliflower pizza for a couple of years and no, it isn't bad, it is actually good!  The trick is getting all the liquid out of the cauliflower before you make the crust so it isn't soggy.  I now buy it frozen and just add my toppings to save time.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:25 PM
You are definitely worth a good cigar!: pbbt:
- - By rob26.2 Date 2018-10-09 10:19 AM
6 miles on the dreadmill. I will add another mile or 2 this evening prior to lifting. Poor Bogey is going crazy since we have not been able to get in his early morning runs. We still are getting hammered with rain. :cry: Last Thursday we were 8 inches below average for the year.  Now we are above average. :laugh:

Mrs. Rob and I dated for many years starting in college. We never talked about when to get engaged. I finally decided it was time so I bought a ring. I then met with her parents and told them my plan. I didn't "ask permission" I basically just told them I was going to ask her.  We were going on a short vacation to Arkansas; renting a house on the lake, playing golf, fishing, water skiing, etc.  We were going to a place that I had been visiting since I was a kid. There is a nice stream where I had spent many, many days fishing (an still do). It is my favorite place to be; my happy place. :happy: So before the trip, I bought a bottle of Dom Perignon and buried it in a cooler.  My original idea was to tie her wedding ring on my fishing line.  But, I thought about it and figured that was bit tacky. In hindsight, I wish I had done it. :mischief: Anyway we went down by the stream on a gravel bar and after a bit of fishing, I stopped and knelt down and asked. After she said yes, I went to my truck and fetched the champagne and we drank the whole bottle.  Then we went water skiing and my drunk fiance had an incredible wreck and ended up with a sizable bruise on her thigh. :laugh:  All that was about 30 years ago.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-09 10:43 AM
Ha! What an ending! But i could see me tying it to the fishing line and flinging it and it would be lost forever.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 11:25 AM
That's a lot of rain! :shocker!:

Sweet story :hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:30 AM
:laugh: on the bruise but that sounds like a fun memory :hug:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:39 PM
fetched....that word made me giggle.:laugh:
Parent - - By rob26.2 Date 2018-10-09 12:55 PM
Well, when I am in Arkansas, I speak like the locals... :wink:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:08 PM
You had to have bought the champagne before going to Arkansas because I doubt that you’d find a bottle of Dom anywhere.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:22 PM
Yeah, I would totally end up losing the ring if I tied it to the fishing line.:laugh:

Waterskiing.:shocker!::laugh:
- - By runnergirl4 (BJ Queen) Date 2018-10-09 11:03 AM
Workout: in a few minutes I’ll hop on the peloton and do a 45 min interval class of some sort.

Dinner last night: went out with dh, I had grilled chicken with pesto, provolone, and garlic aioli on a grilled ciabatta bun. And sweet potato fries. And two glasses of a delicious Pinot noir.

Proposal: perfect timing as it was just three years ago this week!  Dh and I had moved in together knowing we’d get married soon-ish (once a few things were ironed out) but nothing was official yet. It was a completely ordinary day but step dd was walking around giggling like crazy all day :laugh: (she was 5). We had dinner as usual then step dd told me I needed to go up to her room for a little bit with her (full on giggles) so we went upstairs, read a book, and she told me that dh was going to ask me to marry him :laugh:  a few minutes later we were summoned downstairs and into the backyard where dh had candles, flowers, and balloons (step dd’s idea!)...he ushered me over to a chair, got down on one knee and and told me everything he loved about me and asked me to be his wife. :hug:  I obviously said yes...the next day he’d arranged a babysitter so we could go pick out the ring. It was amazing and he was the best decision I’ve ever made. We definitely got it right the second time around as we were both married for 13 years previously. It’s forever :hug: we also had three 12 y.o. Boys peeking through the window watching it all go down, and cheering us on. Dh had called my mom earlier in the day to tell her what he had planned, she absolutely approved.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 11:27 AM
That is a great, very sweet story! :hug::hug: I love that step dd was so excited and spilled the beans! :laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:29 AM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:40 PM
your step dd:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:18 PM
Awwww! Nice!:hug::hug:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:34 PM
That’s a fun story! I thought about trying to involve her girls (ages 3 and 5...she’s also widowed), but I figured they would blow any sort of romantic surprise.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 2:53 PM
3 year anniversary buddies! :cool:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-09 11:17 AM
My workout was swimming 1600 meters this morning.

Dinner last night was baked salmon, salad & broccoli.  Breakfast was a bowl of cheerios mixed with some raisin bran & 1% milk, OJ and coffee!

QOTD - My proposal wasn't very romantic...but she said yes!  We picked out a ring together shortly after that.  We had another very important decision to make at virtually the same time.  My job was moving from North Jersey to Philadelphia and by that time I had just another couple of weeks to declare I was transferring with it or not.  There were a ton of practical reasons to move with it and I did even though it meant we would only see each other on weekends for most of the next year before our wedding.  Still together 40 years later.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 11:24 AM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:29 AM
:hug::hug: 40 years is awesome, Ed!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:44 PM
I often "joke" to blazerman that he can move to the boonies (as he insists he wants to do) and I can stay in the city where I need to be for work, and we can just see each other on the weekends.  That is how I see us staying married for 40 years!!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:15 PM
She said yes, and she still means it after 40 years!:hug::hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 11:28 AM
I went to yoga :hug: It's been raining all day so that was a perfect workout.

Dinner -  I grilled salmon with steamed broccoli (mookie :hug:) and a salad. For breakfast, I had one hard boiled egg before yoga.

He came over to my house in Dallas and fixed a really nice dinner. Unfortunately, I felt like crap and ended up going to bed super early that night. I guess I kinda messed things up because I woke up the next morning to him slipping a ring on my finger. It probably fits us more that it happened that way than some big to do the night before. :hug:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 12:13 PM
My stir fry had those disgusting fetal corns in it and when I saw the broccoli I thought "Hey, I know a chick who likes these things"...and tragically I was just back from my road trip and had no cashews to make it all mint:hug:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-09 12:17 PM
:cry:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:25 PM
disgusting fetal corns
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:39 PM
baby corns are the best!
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 12:46 PM
If we are ever dining out and my plate has those freaky corns on it you get first dibs :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:14 PM
I gladly accept!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 1:16 PM
Well if I ever visit my aunt in Forney I'll warn you to start looking for restaurant coupons!!!:hug:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:25 PM
At least DH waited for the morning when you felt better instead of forcing the proposal when you felt like crap! :hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:45 PM
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:15 PM
smart man, that T :happy:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 3:18 PM
Can't go wrong with grilled salmon!
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:21 PM
SDO - if the rain ever lets up, might get some dog walking in this afternoon

dinner last night was creamy baked pasta (rigatoni, arrabiatta, sour cream, sauteed mushrooms, spinach & parmesan cheese mixed and baked for 25 minutes) fresh french bread and a salad
breakfast was a blueberry scone, hard boiled egg & glass of milk

Question of the Day: Most of this group is or has been married. How did you and your partner decide to get hitched? Was there a romantic proposal involved? A ring? Was it an amazing moment, or an underwhelming business-like discussion? Tell us all the details.

after dating for 3 months, we both just realized that we were in it for the long haul. we looked at rings a few times, but I always got uncomfortably hot in jewelers :laugh: and he was still paying back taxes from his first marriage, so $$ we short. In June (6 months in) I was supposed to go to Tampa for a girls weekend, but it was the same weekend that bad storms hit his parents house in IL, so I changed my plans and we spent the weekend chainsawing trees and removing debris to get their land cleared up. When we got home late that Sunday night, I was getting ready (toothbrushing, face washing, taking out contacts) and he keeps peeking around the corner like he needs the loo - but when I ask him if he needs me to leave, he just says no and disappears again. okay... bedroom is dark when I come out and he is standing right there, hugs me, says he loves me, and then as he's kneeling down, he opens this box that shines the brightest LED light ever and I'm like "WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING, I CAN'T SEE, WHAT IS THAT?". :laugh: turns out the ring store puts LED lights in the ring boxes to make it more memorable, but in a dark room and no contacts in, you don't know what the heck is going on and you're just blind. Anyways, once he turned on a real light and I saw the ring, of course I said yes. :laugh:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 12:23 PM
Is there a woman alive who doesn't become uncomfortably hot in a jewelers?  Ba dum :laugh::roll::hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:40 PM
:laugh: I was like "it's too hot in here, I don't want to look anymore"
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-09 12:44 PM
Probably some weird allergic reaction to eating those shitty little corn on the cobs :laugh::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:11 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:34 PM
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:46 PM
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:34 PM
:laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-09 3:23 PM
That pasta sounds fantastic.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:05 PM
5 miles at noon.

The legs didn’t feel too bad yesterday so I told my running partner that I’d meet him at noon today. We did our flat route and it wasn’t too bad, but it wasn’t as good as I thought it was going to be. I had big aspirations to join the guys for the full 10 miles tomorrow morning, but after today, I think that the middle 5 will be the better choice. We’re in the path of Hurricane Michael (almost a month after we were dealing with Florence) so that is going to wash out Thursday.

I had a chicken pot pie for dinner last night and a bagel for breakfast this morning.

I took my wife back to the restaurant where we had our first date and proposed there. It happened to be the 7 month anniversary of our first date and due to some work circumstances at the time, I proposed over brunch rather than dinner. The restaurant was excited to be in on it and provided some celebratory champagne.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:13 PM
That is so cool that the restaurant gave you the champagne! I bet the staff just loved it.:hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-10 6:23 AM Edited 2018-10-10 6:26 AM

I didn't realize Michael was such an issue until Monday. Florence wound up being a bust for us (fortunately), but we had some wicked flash flooding a few days later, getting an auto dealership for the second time this year. People are all stirred up about the "city not doing its job cleaning out the drains." :meh: so I'm hoping we don't get much this time around... It seems like it will blow through quickly.
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:08 PM
Aw, thanks Tim! I'm so nosey.:laugh: But the whole proposal/wedding thing is generally not like the rest of married life, and I've been married for 21 years (it only feels like forever:roll:: pbbt:), so I need to hear about some romance, somewhere, sometimes! Nothing about Philip's and my meeting, proposing, or getting married was romantic. We met in a parrot store when he was getting some supplies for his African gray and I was visiting my baby parrot, who was too young to come home with me. I had a parrot on my shoulder and bird crap running down the front of my shirt. He told me he loves a girl in green.:laugh: We didn't date that long before we got engaged, but we weren't kids (31 and 35), and we were sure. We were going to have a long engagement, but exactly one week after my mother and I picked out a form-fitting, size 6 wedding dress, I found out I was pregnant.:roll: So a week later I was back in the wedding dress place picking out a "forgiving" (ie, a tent) dress. We ended up moving the wedding up, so basically we met, married, and had a baby in a little over 12 months. And I always said if we could make it through that first year, we'd make it through anything! So far, we have.  Philip did ask me what kind of ring I wanted when he proposed. I said a pear-shaped one. He got me a round one.:laugh: I didn't know that was a foreshadowing of our entire marriage.: pbbt:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-09 1:45 PM
:laugh: :hug:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-09 4:09 PM
:laugh::grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-10 6:19 AM
Lol! That is a lot of change in 12 months!!!!
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-09 3:56 PM
breakfast with mom this morning. I had two scrambled eggs, a piece of whole wheat toast with butter and a piece of bacon. I'd brought a couple figs from our neighbor's tree and we each had one.

Mom morning so that meant pool deep water exercise class. I was worried about this bugging my foot so tested the shoes i wear on the pool deck. Those were fine to walk in so that was good. And the water didn't bother the foot. win-win! And also a win that I didn't have to explain to mom why i was wearing a boot and/or skipping water exercise because of the foot. :grin::roll::blush: I did leg workout this morning instead of yesterday evening. DH had made steak and cheddar hand pies for dinner (everyday baker crust doughboy and/or donnasaur) and i wanted dinner immediately!  :laugh: it was delicious.

DH and I met in college as a sophomore (me) and frosh (him) and dated through college. We broke up for a year as he was finishing college and then moved to ohio for a job. everything about him annoyed me at that time. :blush::roll: but then that didn't work! we missed each other. :happy:we got back together and moved in together in LA where i was living at the time (with my mom haha!). We discussed getting married then but i didn't want to. : pbbt: 21 years ago we moved to seattle and bought a house and decided we should get married. I didn't want a ring so we remodeled our bathroom instead. :cool: 20 years ago we got married. That's why we are headed to paris. next week!  :laugh::hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-09 6:46 PM

The Force is strong in your story! Have fun in Paris!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-09 10:23 PM
I love all of your story!!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-10 6:06 AM
That is an great story! And Paris?! (Jealous!) Enjoy!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Just for Spin: The TuesDailies