Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Marathon Recap Monday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:11 AM
Hopefully we will see some marathon recaps from the weekend.  Lots of people have off today.  Sadly, I am not one of them. :cry:

The title sounded better than Monday's Mistakes – have you made any bloopers lately?  I feel like we had this not long ago, but I’ve always got something to say in this department. : pbbt:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-08 7:21 AM
No holiday today for me either, nor do I have any marathon recap to post. Funny, last road marathon I ran was in 2010. Where does the time go?

Back to running this weekend. A short 4 mile doggie jog on Saturday on the trails of Coventry Wood, and about 6 miles yesterday on the trails at French Creek Park. Sort of warm and humid for October, so we ran/looped around both lakes yesterday at the park. With the streams and the creeks there were plenty of water stops for the Lady. These trails get a bit more traffic so the Lady had plenty of chances to stop and be admired by hikers. Mushroom foragers out in the park yesterday. The collection of fungi they found was impressive. When we finished our run an mushroom expert was describing the various species collected. Seems most were either gross or poisonous!

I can't think of any bloopers other than going to the store to run errands and leaving my wallet at home.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:50 AM
I think you had a few ULTRA marathons between then and now, XT. Those count!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:26 AM
Glad you got back to running! :cool::cool:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:36 AM
that is annoying about leaving your wallet at home.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:52 AM
no one wants gross or poisonous mushrooms, boo! : pbbt:

nice weekend of running w/ the Lady
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:07 PM
Always love hearing about your trail runs.  :cool:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:19 PM
all mushrooms are gross. many are also poisonous. : pbbt:

that happens occasionally to DH and I. I'll leave my purse, DH forgets his wallet. :roll: He does happy an app enabled on his phone though to pay for things. it is handy on occasion.
Parent - - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-08 5:26 PM
I did have a day off, which allowed me to do some yardwork on a sweltering sweaty day as well as a sweaty 3.5 miles with the hound. :happy: I readily admit to making bloopers every day and today was no different. :laugh: Today I spot sprayed a "weed" with weed killer but which my horticulturalist wife had informed me was a gem in our landscape. :cry::blush:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:08 PM
Your "weed" story reminds me of when my dad cut down some "weeds" along the side of our house, and my mom was so upset! The "weeds" were shasta daisies that she had been trying to get to bloom for years, and they were almost ready to, when he chopped them down.:laugh: Geez, I think I was 5, so this was a very long time ago. Haven't thought of that in years...:laugh:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-08 6:33 PM
:laugh::cry: Sorry for bringing up those memories. Shasta daisies are pretty precious. I'm pretty into horticulture myself through mrs flamus...I even took a couple courses at PSU because we were dating then...but that doesn't stop me from being a klutz at times like today. :cry: I'm better suited for building beds and rototilling. :blush:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:00 PM
Oops! :laugh:
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:12 AM
It’s Monday for sure.  I set out a pair of running shorts I don’t wear often.  They’re shorter and snugger than I’d prefer, and I usually feel like a frumpy sausage in them.  Put them only and was lamenting in the mirror.  Gak.  They feel awful.  I didn’t think I let myself go this much.  Whine, whine, whine… Then I realized I had them on backwards. :blush:  Turned them around and they fit much better.  Still the frumpy sausage, but better than before…

Still 71* with 100% humidity this morning.  :meh: Did the double loop with the giant hill.  The excitement of the day - my koala clip came in the mail!  It was sort of hard getting it on from a flexibility standpoint, but I was able to get this done this morning. I used it and I did like it quite a bit over the flip belt.  But, the flip belt does have a hook for my keys, but I think I could get my keys in this one too.  Also, I brought it in to work to show a couple of people and it’s still damp 3 hours later.  Eventually it will dry out, right?  Of course, my running clothes don’t dry hanging up even after 2-3 days, but I don’t need them every day…

Weirdness of the day.  On the big hill, there was a sketchy dude sitting in a small lawn chair at the edge of the road in his driveway listening to music.  Note, this was at 4:45am.  I thought maybe he was watching his dog, as there was a little one running about one house up the hill.  But, I came back around 30 min later, and he was still there (as was the dog).  I was a bit creeped out, but on the second loop there was also this old guy who hobbles up the hill this time of the morning.  I’m glad he was around.  But then after my gym workout, I drove back by there and he was STILL sitting in that chair at 7:00am.  He looked even creepier in the daylight.  Also weird – at the gym ALL of the cardio equipment was gone.  They are getting new equipment today, but it looked so weird and empty.  Did a chest & tris video that kicked my tail and I was done for the morning.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-08 7:25 AM
The weird dude, was not a stuffed Halloween decoration? Must be drug related is all I can come up with. Humid here too. I had to crank the AC back on as it was stifling yesterday.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:27 AM
I may drive by now to check :laugh: but i swore he moved and spoke. And he was blocking the driveway...

I keep our AC set to 80 and the heat to 63. I never turn either off. If the house gets outside that zone, the appropriate system kicks in.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 7:37 AM
I was looking at a new cookbook today and got all psyched about making an apple galette tonight ... until I checked the forecast and saw that it's supposed to hit 76 here today, and be muggy to boot. :meh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:25 AM
Seriously. It's been so muggy this summer. It's been hotter, but the whole summer seemed to have DPs in the mid 70s
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:01 AM
That was my temp when I woke up. :roll::cry:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:10 AM
mine is always dry the next morning - and I am a hella sweater
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:22 AM
Good to know!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-10-08 2:52 PM
Mine is not dry this next morning. I look like I jumped in the neighborhood lake half way into my runs.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:49 AM
:laugh:

Be careful with those weird dudes sitting in lawn chairs at odd hours! A lawn chair guy accosted Anu at RTB this year, it was like he was waiting for a lone female to pass him.:shocker!:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:24 AM
:shocker!: normally, he'd be waiting a long time. This road doesn't get much traffic as the other side is the park. It's not a good area, but it's not awful either. I don't run this loop that often and when it's cold, I go through the park. But when it's warm, there are copperheads that I need to watch out for. (hate summer!)
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 9:21 AM
As a rule I wear most of my clothes backwards
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:22 AM
:laugh: I have done the backwards running shorts thing too. Fortunately most times I realize it before I actually go running!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:25 AM
Eeeeeek on the weird dude. I wonder if he's still there?! :shocker!:
Nice run!
We're supposed to get a cool front this week!!! I HOPE SO.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:38 AM
I am wondering if he was a halloween decoration too. I said hi to a decoration in my neighborhood for several weeks before realizing it was fake (this was a few years ago)
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:36 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 11:42 AM
Not a decoration! I just drove by and he was gone. The chair he was sitting in was moved from the edge of the road to up in his yard by the porch. Creepy weirdo
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:05 PM
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 1:20 PM
#winning
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:09 PM
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:06 PM
:laugh:  Nice work figuring out the shorts!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:18 PM
i was also hoping the weird dude was a decoration. :shocker!:
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-08 7:21 AM
No marathon recap from me :roll:  A couple of guys from our running club ran Chicago yesterday.  One of them is the guy who completed all 50 states last June.  He ran some type of 5K associated with the Chicago Marathon on Saturday and PR'ed...the day before running a marathon :roll:

I taught 6am cycling class this morning.  A couple of regulars were not there so maybe they had today off for the holiday.  A couple others I hadn't seen in a while were there!  OK :meh:  turnout of 10 riders.

I wear the shorts I teach in to class & take regular underwear to put on afterwards with my regular shorts or jeans.  A few weeks ago I forgot to bring underwear : pbbt:  I did have swim jammers in my backpack so I didn't have to go commando for the trip to the supermarket & ride back home. There have been times this happened and I didn't have swim stuff in my backpack :shocker!:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:46 AM
We're going to start calling you Commando Ed!:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:21 AM
:laugh: yep
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:53 AM
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:05 PM
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:22 AM
Ha! I can't deal with the commando thing either. Some people prefer that :shocker!::shocker!:
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 7:54 AM
It was pretty muggy yesterday for the races at Mohawk Hudson. I was pretty grateful to be done after 13.1, not to mention soggy and soaked. The people I saw coming in for the marathon finish -- even when they were looking pretty strong -- were to a person really soggy looking. Anyway, Mohawk Hudson seemed like a pretty nice event. At the start area for the half, I talked to a guy wearing an Oz Marathon shirt. Rob will be happy to know that the guy (and his partner) were both fans of the race. I was expecting more of the Mohawk Hudson course to be on trail, but a good chunk of the half was on roads. Lots of volunteers and police officers kept the traffic in line. I was content with my effort: I held a steady pace throughout, passed a lot of people along the way. I kind of wondered if I had a 5-min faster time in me had the conditions been a little less gross. Hung out at the finish and saw JohnH come in, but due to the amount of work I ended up having to bring home, I had to head for home before I saw Nooner and Spin finish. We did have a great dinner Saturday night at a cool brewpub (the pineapple shandy was fantastic).

Monday mistakes: nothing big coming to mind.

10 mi today. Muggy. Just on the cusp of being warm enough to be uncomfortable. :meh:
Parent - By rob26.2 Date 2018-10-08 8:39 AM
:cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:44 AM
"Pretty muggy.":laugh::laugh:  My shoes are still slimy!  Funny, but I remember more of the full being on the trail by the river too.:wtf: I haven't run it since 2010, I'm sure my memory is faulty, but that ugly road section at the end seemed to come up quickly and go on forever. OTOH, when you're plodding as slowly as I was, every mile seems like 3.:laugh:

That pineapple shandy was wonderful! But not nearly as delicious as the brownies, thanks again!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:21 AM
I've heard good things about that race. I would have been glad to do the half too. I'm not sure these legs have a mary left in them anymore
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:21 AM
:cool::cool: Nice half!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:39 AM
nice run!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:37 AM
Nice job Chris!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:54 AM
soggy is not a fun condition to be in.
congrats on your 13.1
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:04 PM
Awesome!  You can't ask for more than holding a steady pace and finishing feeling like maybe you could have done a little bit more.  :happy:
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-10-08 12:05 PM
I had planned to run the full until a bad back strained had me on the sidelines for 6 weeks. Usually the weather is good for Mohawk. Nice job getting it done.
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:33 PM
It would have been great to see you there -- sorry about the back strain. That's no good at all.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:31 PM
Great job yesterday in that gross weather! I was soaked a mile in and was glad the skin damage wasn’t worse than it was.

Sorry that you had to head off to do work stuff but it was great seeing you!
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:34 PM
Post-race, John noted that there wasn't enough Body Glide in the world to deal with the conditions yesterday.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:10 PM
Truth!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2018-10-08 2:53 PM
Congrats on the half!
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:26 AM
4 miles this morning w/ Benji. over indulged a bit too much this weekend celebrating mrbarney's birthday, etc so the scale was a bit disappointing this morning. oh well, it was worth it :laugh:
saw 6 walkers, 3 dogs and 2 runners along our route.
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:20 AM
Saturdays are my all out food fest days. Sundays I'm 6-8 pounds heavier. It's water. Don't worry about it :happy:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:02 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:21 AM
:hug::hug: Well, what did you eat? or drink?
4 mile buds :blush:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:24 AM
Yes! These are important questions
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:15 AM
Friday after work we met at AMC and I had a tub of Caramel Popcorn. I'd never tried it before and it was so warm and delicious.
Saturday morning we made waffles for late breakfast w/ sausage. Dinner Saturday we went down to Deep Ellum, started at Emporium Pies (he had banana creme and I had some peanut butter fluffy, delicious thing) then we walked over to Pecan Lodge and ate way too much bbq. Brisket, pulled pork, colelsaw and mac & cheese for him. Pulled pork and pinto beans for me. It was really good.
Sunday lunch was Luby's :blush:  I went w/ Chicken Cordon Bleu (served over noodles in a cream sauce), broccoli and sauteed mushrooms. and then for dinner we just went to Potbelly's and I could only eat 1/2 of my sandwich :laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 11:50 AM
:blush::blush::blush: sounds delicious, especially the pie!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:03 PM
:shocker!:  You're right, totally worth it!
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:49 PM
Yum to all of that! :grin:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 1:22 PM
I had to Google that pie place. My goodness. :shocker!:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:40 AM
I want to hear more about the overindulgence!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 8:38 AM
No day off here, though it's a light day since many clients are home. Which is good, because my legs are trashed!:cry: I was not able to drop the half at MHM, and I knew if I did the whole full it would be slow and painful (no long runs:roll:)- but damned, I wasn't expecting to be that slow.:roll: You know when you think about DNF'ing at mile 2 that it won't be good.:laugh: It was just so humid, slightly warm, we were all drenched early on. I started between the 4:15 and 4:30 pace groups, thought I would try to stay there for as long as I could, and I did for a while. After a few miles I saw Nooner right in front of me, so I caught up and we chatted off and on until after mile 18 or 19- the train tracks- when he went on ahead. Rick kept encouraging me to finish the race, and I told him that if I got to mile 16, I probably would- single digits from then on, right?:roll: At mile 18, I said if I got to mile 21, I'd definitely finish. By that time, though, I was just soooo slow, felt like running through mud. If I tried to pick things up, my hamstrings cramped up, so I just kept slogging. When I finished, I could have sworn the clock said 4:49:20, but it was actually 4:59:20!:shocker!: Only 52 minutes slower than my much hillier marathon last March, and 56 minutes slower than the last time I ran this course 8 years ago.:roll: But you get into it what you put into it, which in my case wasn't much.:blush: But I wouldn't have missed the great FE with Doughboy, John H. and his awesome wife, and Rick, the night before. We all had dinner at a great brew pub. John H., btw, ran a 3:37 and won 1st in AG! Beast mode! Then Rick and I checked out another brewery after the race. One of the few times I'll eat red meat is after a marathon, I just crave a cheeseburger, and they had great burgers! In spite of the crappy race, the marathon was oddly motivating. It's supposed to be humbling, and it sure was that. I'm really optimistic about getting back into the swing of some real training.:happy:

I guess my mistake would be skipping long runs for the race.:laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:19 AM
Yay for making it through! I wondered how it went for you. Sounds a bit painful, but an awesome FE I'm sure made up for it
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:30 PM
Yeah, the FE (Doughboy brownies!!) was so worth it! So was having a nice, clean, quiet hotel room all to myself! Heaven!:laugh:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:20 AM
You did it though! Good for you! :cool::cool:
Thanks!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:41 AM
congrats on getting through a tough day!
Thanks!
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:53 AM
Nice job finishing! :happy:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:31 PM
Thanks! And congrats to you!
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:57 AM
:cool:
I bet the burger was delicious!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:28 PM
It was! And I had to get the red onion rings with it.:hug: So good!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:02 PM
Ha, somehow I didn't think you'd be able to drop part-way through.  :laugh:  Your attitude is perfect though - what you put in, you get out, and in this case you got a great training run out of it.  :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:16 PM
Yeah, it's all good. In 2012, I ran Richmond with a slight injury, just ran easy with Blazer86 and another friend. Finished in 4:30, which at that time was on my slow end (my slow end has gotten much slower:laugh:). Five months later, I PR'ed with a 3:53. So, it's all miles in the bank!:happy:
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:41 PM
It was great spending time with you this weekend! I was glad that you were able to gut it out and finish the race.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:17 PM
Thanks! And thanks for checking up on me, I can't quit when I know people are watching.:laugh:  But my legs are trashed today. :meh:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:15 PM
brownies!

(oh wait, i don't think you mentioned those...) :laugh:

congrats on getting through. it is freeing when just finishing is the plan.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:28 PM
Ssssshhhhhhh! I have those brownies locked in a safe in a top secret location!:cool: I did give one to my son (just one!) and he said, "I don't know this Doughboy guy, but I love him!" :laugh::laugh:

I've done a lot of marathons just for fun, no time goal, whatever, and in most, I really did have fun. It's always good just to remind myself what the distance feels like. And that's what I thought I'd do here. But the crappy weather and my lack of long runs has me in a world of pain today. Totally my doing, but I don't think I'll be doing any spinning or running for a few days, and I'm kicking myself.
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-08 7:39 PM
"I don't know this Doughboy guy, but I love him!" :laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:33 PM
Great to see you last weekend. I'm glad you made it through yesterday. After I finished and was hanging around the finish area, I was looking for you but figured eventually that you were just going to run the whole thing. Awesome that you bumped into Rick along the way! Good company helps a lot (in Delaware this spring, Rick definitely helped pull me through a stretch where I was just mentally disconnecting from the race).

There were only a little over 1000 finishers for the half. Probably could have let you switch!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:22 PM
Yeah, Rick was a great boost! Have you done NC yet? I'm thinking about Tobacco Road in mid-March, weather should be decent, a friend PRed there but I don't know much about the race.

Yeah, that whole no-switch thing is the only thing about MHM that pisses me off. Otherwise, it's a pretty nice race. And those brew pubs in downtown Albany, pretty impressive!
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 9:25 AM
Gobble gobble Canadian Thanksgiving......I went out last evening to my running buddy's house and actually socialized with a few people.  Generally I find this extremely painful but it was a good time.

Molly and I were alone for our 10km this morning.  :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:18 AM
I'm glad you had a good time. I am the same way :hug:
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 11:06 AM
Yes...and now I have made an appearance I'm likely good until Christmas :hug:
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:01 PM
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 1:10 PM
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 12:44 PM
I like the way you think
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 1:11 PM
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:19 AM
Glad you enjoyed! :hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 11:06 AM
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:53 AM
Happy Thanksgiving! :hug:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 11:07 AM
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:42 AM
Happy Canuck Turkey Day to you too! Glad your socializing went well :happy:
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 1:11 PM
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:13 PM
yay for running buds!  :hug:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 9:41 AM
Hi! Happy Monday :meh:
My kids are home so I'm not off. :laugh: We are doing school projects. :roll:

4 miles early with a friend. :hug:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:17 AM
I loathe school projects, especially those that were WELL beyond the capability of the student. The worst offender was to read a 100+ page book on Eisenhower, type a report, make 3 worksheets to teach the class, and make a poster... In FIRST GRADE WTF?!! Best part about switching to an early August start was that the semester ended before Xmas so Xmas break had NO FLIPPIN PROJECTS!!!!

You have my utmost sympathy
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:19 AM
What?? In first grade? :shocker!:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 10:51 AM
Yep. It was soooo out there. And they had a similar project about a planet. And a book report due EVERY week the second half of the year. First grade was insane. Second grade was easier than first! And where they got into the habit of doing everything themselves - except for stupid friggen projects. 4th was also an insane project year. I do not miss that at all.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:52 AM
This makes me so happy that my kid goes to a school with no homework!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:42 AM
My kiddo has off the next two fridays. My mom will be here next week, but this friday she just gets unlimited screen time. I have no other option.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:49 AM
Yeah, I always feel for the parents who work full time with our random days off.

The other day, the power went out at school and they even shut down after care. Talk about a scramble. :sad:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:55 AM
I am lucky in that I work from home, if I didn't it would be even harder. When my DH is in town we split the day, because she loves to go to his lab but it is only fun for about 3-4 hours. I was telling my DH this weekend that the one-day camps we register her for are between $50 and $100/day. He was shocked, but the alternative is that she stay home, or I pay a HS kid roughly the same amount to watch her. It is worth it for me, but I undertand it is a luxury to be able to do that.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 11:09 AM
Yeah, it's nice to have options of other things to do. She's lucky!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:10 AM
The amount of stress related to child care from when they were born until they we able to be at home by themselves on a day off from school, has likely shortened my life. When my kids were young, working from home was either not technologically possible or, not an option as it just wasn't done.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 11:22 AM
This times a million and why I couldn't do 3 kids.  And we had no day cares for kids <2. And find someone licensed? :laugh: I was doing well to have someone (who was a saint) that reported her income to the IRS so I could deduct it.

We still can't work from home or shift hours from 8-5. And DH cant either. And PE is apparently too important for him to miss ever. (this was my major red hot button)
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:43 AM
My first work from home gig was in 1999...but I have been lucky in that I work in a field where it is done more. But even being home isn't a solution, N will ignore me until the minute I am on the phone with a client and then she NEEDS MY ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:05 PM
The bank I worked for in 1996 when Blazergirl was born, STILL does not allow working from home as a regular thing in the role I have always done. Initially, remote access into the bank database was not as secure as it became even 5-6 years later (privacy laws, blah, blah). By the time I left them in 2010, it was mostly because they were assholes.....men simply didn't request remote access because the culture viewed as a "girl thing".:roll:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 1:06 PM
It is funny, obviously my current job and my last job I am thousands of miles away from any office so no option but work from home. But my last company most people tele-commuted; and my current company many people do-there are only a few days people are expected to be in the office. We work with protected data, privacy is an issue, but not as 'old school' of an industry as banking. Also, since many people come into the work I do from being at pharma companies where the entire sales force essentially works remotely it is much more normalized.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:44 AM
4 mile buddies! ours are off today too, but they're at their mom's house. she offered the youngest two to us today and said she'd pick them up after she got off work, but mbarney was like "that's okay" she's had them since Thursday so I'm sure she's ready for a break :laugh:, but because of the holiday and our custody schedule we don't get them back until Wed after school.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 12:01 PM
Ugh, good luck with the school projects.  :cry:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:29 PM Edited 2018-10-08 2:38 PM
Not to worry you, but I recall that we helped with school projects even when ours was in college. (When you're writing papers and both parents are editors, I guess that's expected. :laugh:)
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 2:37 PM
:laugh::laugh:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:36 AM
No marathon here! Just the usual. 6 miles today, later than I would like because I did an online training at 7am I am over the heat and humidity.

things are just busy. my DH leaves for spain today, another week, more travel. and running around. I feel like this fall has been so hard.

Mistakes lately? Fortunately nothing glaring!
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 10:49 AM
Yep, that sounds busy and stressful. Good run though!

I hate to bring it up but has the bus situation gotten any better?
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:00 AM
my daughter's bus situation is fine, but overall it is a wreck. It is better for me because after 6 weeks I transitioned it to a committee.
On friday one of the buses picked up the girls at school then the driver thought he should file a report about a fight that happened on his earlier route. So he took the bus full of girls and went to file a report (Not clear if he was at a bus depot or a police department) and left the girls alone on the bus with it running, keys in the ignition, so that he could report a fight for his prior run. The girls were OK, but were more than an hour late, and he was relieved of his duties. I heard about it after the situation was resolved but parents were understandably freaking out-the kids who had phones were calling their parents scared, no adult, didn't know where they were or what was happening.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 11:09 AM
Oh wow. I can't believe the bus driver would even think that was okay?! Sheesh.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:39 AM
WTF :shocker!::mutmad:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:47 AM
well, that's a big WTF
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 11:59 AM
:sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 12:45 PM
:mutmad:
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:09 PM
:shocker!::mutmad::cry::shocker!: that is nuts!
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 2:04 PM
it is so scary. I live in a major city (not that it matters where I live, bad things can happen anywhere). But the thought that someone could have driven off with the bus, or one of the girls could have tried to drive it is so scary.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:49 PM
If you don't mind my asking, are you in NYC?  Asking because our school bus situation this year is a nightmare....
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 4:25 AM
No, Dallas
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:27 PM
Holy crap!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:42 PM
Wow.:meh: I can't even imagine what that driver could have been thinking.
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:46 AM
only a few more days of the yuck though - fall is on the way!
:hug::hug::hug:  Hang in there.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:10 PM
ugh. i hope it will settle down for you.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:27 PM
The travel at your house makes my head spin. :shocker!:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 3:01 PM
yeah, so this is kind of funny. R's passport expires in 2.5 months so he was not allowed to go to spain today. Spain requires that you have 3 months left on your passport-he could not board the plane.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 3:19 PM
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 3:32 PM
That's crazy! Can he reschedule the trip or no? Jeez, I can't even remember how long it takes to process a passport renewal, either.
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-09 4:26 AM
it is for a meeting, so no, can't be rescheduled.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 3:37 PM
Yikes! I guess mistake Monday applies to him!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-08 5:32 PM
Kind of funny but I guess also a PITA!

Spain is where I had a work travel snafu.  I was coming home from Kuwait (years before Iraq invaded) on an Iberia Airlines flight, Kuwait City to Madrid...arriving on Sunday afternoon and the connecting flight to JFK was the next morning.  We (Navy LT from the office and I) checked with Iberia before we made the reservations and they confirmed they would put us up at a hotel Sunday night...at their expense!  We thought a night in Madrid would be nice.  We just didn't realize Spain required a visa (which we didn't have) if you're traveling on a government passport vs. a tourist one :sad:  Spent six hours in the Madrid airport that afternoon & into the evening and eventually had to have the US Embassy authorize a 24 hour visa so we could leave the airport.  That didn't work out so well.
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 10:52 AM
No day off from work here. I am only in the office today and tomorrow. My dad gets his knee replaced tomorrow so I am off to VA on Wednesday to help my mom with him when he comes home.

Marathon recap:
Steamtown Marathon! I DNFed this marathon at mile 16 in 2004. I have always wanted to avenge that DNF and this seemed like a good time to do it. The course is a good one: most of the first half of the course is downhill, then it flattens out and has 1-2 hills toward the end. I was using it as a long training run (goal race is Kiawah in December). My coach gave me a solid plan going into the race. Start off SLOW, 10-min miles for the first 3-4 miles, assess how I felt, then speed up 15sec/mile if I felt good. Rinse and repeat for the rest of the race. It was upper 60s and humid at the start of the race, but there was a breeze that made it feel much cooler. I told myself to drink water at every aid station because it was going to be deceptively hot as the day wore on. The start cannon went off (it was a literal cannon, and it was LOUD!), and I went out slowly. Mile 1 was 9:34 which was WAY too fast, so I pulled it back for the next few miles: 9:56, 9:51, 10:04, 9:41. I felt really good, and it was REALLY hard to hold back those first few miles since it was downhill. I sped up, aiming for 9:45s and came away with 9:45, 9:38, 9:33, 9:50, 10:09? I reassessed, and still felt good, so I cranked it down to aim for 9:30s: 9:31, 9:34, 9:31, 9:11 (first mile on the rail trail, I guess I liked the scenery?), 9:44. I struggled a bit here, probably due to the 9:11 mile, so I decided just to run the rest of the race at 9:30 pace. At that point it felt sustainable. I was in a good place mentally and I physically felt good, I was drinking water and taking my gels as planned. My next few miles were 9:38, 10:26?, 10:03, and then it all went downhill. All of a sudden the pace felt super difficult and I don't know why. My Garmin also freaked out at this point and was way out of sync with the mile markers and somehow collected 28 splits for the race. And then at mile 21 the cramps started. :meh::mutmad: They started in the right foot. I tried to stretch the right foot and the right calf cramped. I kept walking and then started running again, and the right foot cramped again, but I found that I could run on it and it went away. The left calf got in on the action as well. At one point, some kids were throwing a football around and it landed in the street in front of me, and I picked it up and threw it back to them, and both of my calves cramped at the same time! :shocker!::laugh: I was a mess. It was run-cramp-walk-run to the finish line. At the 26 mile mark, my right hamstring cramped as well. I ran the last 0.2 like Frankenstein with both calves, my hamstring, and my foot all cramping at different times. They called my name at the line and I threw my arms up, but that was a VERY bad idea because then everything cramped at once. :cry::laugh: They wanted to take me to medical but I told them I was fine. I was stupid and sat down on a low retaining wall by a statue, and my left calf cramped immediately and it wouldn't let go. It finally released, only to cramp again. I almost asked a stranger to help me up because I didn't think I could get up on my own. It finally subsided about 5 minutes later and I was able to walk back to my car and drive home without any more incidents. My left calf is super sore today though.

Final time: 4:33:50. Overall I am pleased with my first 16 miles of the race. I showed myself that I can run in a controlled manner. It was REALLY hard since I felt so good and it was downhill and I just wanted to let it fly. I hit my paces for the most part, and I don't think I did anything stupid. I just have to figure out this freaking cramping. Maybe I need extra electrolytes aside from my gels? Maybe it's undertraining?

The coolest part of the race was around mile 18-ish when this chick kept turning around and looking at me. I thought she was trying not to let me pass her like those idiots last week :roll: but then she finally turned and asked if I had run Big Sur earlier this year. :shocker!: I told her yes, and we ended up chatting for a bit. I guess there aren't many tall redheads with two pigtails on top of their heads wearing Semper Fi Fund shirts in marathons. : pbbt: We chatted for a bit, she she was dying in the heat and humidity. She thought this race was harder than Big Sur but she was wrong. The conditions were worse, but the course was definitely easier.

Now to focus on my December goal race!
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-08 11:09 AM
Nice to slay the DNF demon! :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-08 11:51 AM
ugh - sorry about the cramping. glad you were able to drive home okay. My legs cramped up once on a ride home from a race and if I had been driving I probably would have died. :cry:

nice pacing on your first 16 :happy:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 1:20 PM
My legs cramped up once on a ride home from a race and if I had been driving I probably would have died
That's what I was worried about! I waited a long time after the last cramp and even tried to induce a cramp before I felt safe enough to drive.
:cool::cool::cool:  Awesome!  I'm so glad to hear you finished and that the first 16 miles went well, and that it worked as a training run for your big run in December.  Really sorry to hear about the cramps - that sound agonising.  :sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 12:02 PM
Nice to avenge the DNF! But ouch. I've only had calf cramps once and it was at tobacco road where it was crushed granite gravel for most of it. Could it have been the downhill? It's hard to train for that much downhill.

Fun fact - my grandma grew up in Forest City and my grandfather in the adjacent town. My mom went to the HS at the start for a year (she mostly grew up in NYC though)
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-10-08 12:22 PM
Nice job getting revenge on the Steamtown course. As for the cramps, it's most likely from being under trained as is the case in most people cramping at the end. This is just my 2 cents but I don't think your coaches training plan is very good for a sub 4 attempt. I have seen some of your workouts like 8 x 400...that will not prepare you to race 26 miles. Like most, you were the victim of the double step up. 6 more solid weeks before a 2 week taper will bring you much better results. Just looking to help because I know you have been chasing the sub 4 for a while.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:55 PM
What is the double step up? :wtf:

Thanks for the feedback! This is my third or 4th round of this same training plan and I got great gains the first time but haven't come close since then, so I tend to agree with you.
Parent - - By Limoboss Date 2018-10-08 1:57 PM
The Double Stepup..

In training you do your long runs slower than race pace and your long runs shorter than race length but miraculously on race day your expected to run further and faster than you have in training hence the Double Stepup. So how do you fix the problem? Build up to 16 miles at 10 seconds per mile faster than race pace in the midst of your training and stretch long run to 22. Try this for the next 6 weeks on whichever day you do a long run

12@9.00 pace
20 EASY
14@9'00 pace
21 EASY
16@9.00 pace
22 EASY

2 week taper. Nothing fancy during the week other than some strides on your easy days just for muscle tension and leg turnover. It would be great if you had more time but December will be here before you know it.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 7:06 PM
Interesting! I usually have MP (and sometimes tempo) miles in my long runs. Like my 20 would have 10 MP miles. And there are mile repeats alternating with tempo runs once per week in addition to the shorter repeats on the track. But I like what you have outlined here. What would you suggest for a weekly mileage goal? Thanks!
Parent - By Limoboss Date 2018-10-08 7:53 PM
You should shoot for 50 as you don’t want your long run to be half of your weekly mileage. I do like that you’re doing mile repeats, especially on 1:00 rest. I do them the day before an easy 20 so I can run the 20 on tired legs.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:58 PM
Congrats on completing Steamtown!

Cramps suck!  ...it was *just a bit* humid yesterday!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 1:02 PM
Yay! So glad you got that DNF off your back. I really enjoyed that race.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:08 PM
ouch! that sounds painful! congrats on hopefully putting to rest this demon. Recover well!  :hug:

Hope everything goes smoothly for your dad.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 1:28 PM
Congrats on redemption!!!
That's really cool about the girl recognizing you! :cool:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:18 PM
I bet the conditions yesterday were a factor in the muscle cramping. The day I ran Steamtown, I remember it being cold. I'm starting to feel that early and mid-October races are probably not safe bets anymore for PR attempts. On the plus side, your goal race is in December, it wasn't yesterday, and you got it done.

Cool that you bumped into the Big Sur runner. Small world indeed. Yesterday after the race, I ended up bumping into both people I talked to before the race. One guy ended up standing next to me at the finish area while he was waiting for a friend to complete the full. (At the same point, I was texting John's wife about where he was at in the race -- and it turned out she was about 3 feet from me. Neither of us realized we were actually standing that close to each other!)
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-08 2:33 PM
:cry: The worst calf cramps of my life were at Steamtown!  What is it with that course?  Glad you were able to get redemption for your long-ago DNF, which I actually think I remember. :hug:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:48 PM
I've had so many marathons where I've battled cramps late in the race. Your race here sounds like my race in Buffalo last May- nightmare cramping. Always happens to me when it's very humid (like yesterday), and I don't have enough long runs in.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-10-09 12:46 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear about your struggles, but congrats on finishing! I swear Steamtown is the worst course ever, because I had the exact same problems when I ran it back in 2007. I think the first 20 miles downhill really beat up your legs, and then the uphills in the final miles ask too much out of your already thrashed muscles. Did you do any downhill training before this race? The eccentric contractions really tear up your muscles if you aren't used to it!
- - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 11:50 AM
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  I've been out for Thanksgiving dinner Saturday night, Sunday night and again tonight.  As delicious as it all is, after this I don't need to see another turkey until Christmas.  :laugh:

I headed to the gym today for a workout: 10 minutes on the manual treadmill, 20 minutes on the elliptical, and 10 minutes on the regular treadmill.  Felt really good and endorphinized afterwards.  I've been feeling a bit meh lately so it's nice to be pepped up.  :happy:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 12:03 PM
Happy Thanksgiving a month early! :wink: I'm glad you're feeling better
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:56 PM
Happy Thanksgiving! :hug:

Yay for peppy!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-08 1:02 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:03 PM
those endorphins are a wonderful thing. :hug:
Happy Thanksgiving!! :grin:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:09 PM
That's a lot of Thanksgiving in three days! :shocker!: I hope that the feasting was all delicious. :cool:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 6:49 PM
Thanksgiving.:hug: My favorite holiday! Glad you enjoyed.
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-10-08 12:29 PM
No recap here.

We had school-delay fog this morning, so I went to the reservoir, let myself in, and ran 6 loops, 16.5 miles.  This week's off to a good start.
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:02 PM
i've never heard of school delay because of fog. that's fantastic!
:cool::cool:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:04 PM
Sounds like a nice morning :happy:
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-08 1:01 PM
no holiday here and I missed coverage of the chicago marathon. I don't think it was broadcast but i would've watched the live feed of it online if i had remembered. :roll:

nice weekend although i was feeling down about not running. :meh: Wearing a boot has definitely helped the foot but it's still not right and certainly not something i'd test with a run. It annoys me greatly to have to wear the boot at work. I'm on my feet a lot and in a big office. Explaining to what seems like a 100+ people is getting old real quick. :roll:

At least the weather has really changed so it's gross out. :grin:: pbbt: I did get the bike trainer and rower set up to my satisfaction and I do enjoy a good trainer ride. So 50 minutes on the trainer. I'll do some leg work this evening.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-08 1:29 PM
:sad: on the foot

Glad you had a good ride!
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-08 2:37 PM
Your mention of Chicago reminded me to check my NBC Sports Gold app, and it seems that they have the coverage there available for replay. (We are subscribed for the figure skating coverage, which -- god knows -- will have to be better than the service it's replacing.) I suspect that Chicago probably was aired on the NBC Olympic Channel on cable, too.

Sorry about your foot. :sad:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:05 PM
I bet it does get old quick :meh: makes you want to put out an office email. Ugh. I hope tomorrow is better
- - By JimGo1 Date 2018-10-08 3:35 PM
Happy Monday,

Thanksgiving weekend for us so we ate a lot and tried to enjoy the weekend.   It is the anniversary of my daughters diagnosis which was life changing for us so there was that.   I tried to keep busy and distracted but my wife had a rough weekend.  I did get in two good runs and some yoga this weekend.   I'm enjoying the yoga lately and still suck at it but I've accepted that and actually listen to the tapes and don't try to rush it and just do what I can.   My mobility seems to improving.   Have a good week all !
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-08 4:59 PM
:hug::hug::hug:  That's a tough anniversary, no way around it.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:06 PM
:hug: I can only imagine how tough it was.  I'm sorry :hug:

I'm glad you're enjoying the yoga. I really enjoy it too. Can't say I'm much more flexible, but hopefully not getting worse. It's a great mental release though
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-08 4:16 PM
I’m going to take advantage of the gorgeous night by riding a little over a mile to the Biergarten with some friends.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-08 7:07 PM
:happy:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-08 7:34 PM
Octoberfest!
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Marathon Recap Monday Dailies