Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / UnFlinching Fridaily!
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 7:33 AM
What makes you DNS a race for which you've registered? Are you willing to try, and suck up a crappy time? Or are you the cautious type?

Or, if that's too boring, what are your weekend plans?

Post 'em
Parent - - By george [us] Date 2018-10-05 7:49 AM
8.something miles this morning with my fast friend. 7:10 pace, oy.

It takes a lot for me to DNS, like an injury that I am physically incapable of running through. Case in point: I ran the Austin Marathon on a strained hamstring and sidelined myself for months after. I don't like wasting money, even if it means doing something dumb like that. I am not a smart man.

Weekend plans: birthday party for my mother on Saturday, XC race on Sunday morning, then a wedding Sunday afternoon. Gonna be exhausting but fun (I hope)!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:34 AM
Fast dude!

I'm not known for my brilliance either.:laugh: But I actually have no goal races lined up (or any races actually, after this one), so I'm even more likely to do something stupid.

Sounds like a fun weekend!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:01 AM
that sounds like a fun weekend!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:04 PM
Good luck this weekend! Sounds like a fun one :happy:
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-05 12:29 PM Edited 2018-10-05 12:31 PM
I don't recall having a DNS, though I definitely recall a few races where I should have. Oddly most of those went ok, not great, but decent enough. I did have my one and only DNF at Mohican 100 in 2017, a race I should have DNS due to injury. Ironically it wasn't the injury but more of a mental thing that caused me to pack it in after 60 miles. Now I have often considered doing some local trail races (one's where I would typically sign up on race day) and decided not to do those for one reason or another, but since I wasn't signed up it's only a mental DNS, not a real one.

Did the gym stuff today. Only one stretching, yoga pose type thing I skipped due to the foot/toe. Probably get back to running tomorrow or Sunday. So maybe not a zero week.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-05 3:08 PM
I think I've only DNS'd a preregistered race when there was a death in the family so I'm not much help. As far as the weekend plans, not much beyond mowing the grass. Now THAT's boring.

Today was a little longer run again along the river and around City Island in cool, cloudy and breezy conditions...6.5 miles. :happy:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 7:42 AM
Good morning! Easy 45 minute endurance spin this morning, left me feeling pretty good.

I'm getting ready to drive up to Albany tomorrow morning, try to get to the expo early to see if any slots opened up for the half. And if there are no openings, I haven't decided what to do. My problem isn't an injury, I feel ok. My problem is that I haven't done a run over 13 miles in months, and most have been less than 13. I'm leaning toward starting the fill and just go as far as I can while I'm feeling good, up to 18 miles. But then I'd probably just want to finish it, at least it would count for Marathon Maniacs.:roll:

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-05 9:42 AM
You are already a Maniac, so I am confused by it "counting" for them unless you plan on a new 12 month streak.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:04 AM Edited 2018-10-06 6:12 AM
Just in terms of number of marathons. A DNF doesn't count toward your total number.

I guess I'm desperate for some kind of structure.:laugh: I realize I'm not signed up for any races of any kind after this (except Philly, where I'm pacing a friend on her first marathon).
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-05 9:49 AM
See you tomorrow!

All of you Maniacs have led me to check, and I believe I'm eligible. (Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, though.)
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:05 AM
It's a fun group! Of course, this group is much more fun: pbbt:.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:01 AM
Have fun in Albany! How does the weather look? That would make a big difference for me if I were looking at running a marathon undertrained.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:06 AM
Weather looks decent. Could get a bit warm toward the later part.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:36 AM
Good luck Sunday!

Don't run 26.2 miles!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:06 AM
Thanks!

I'm trying.:roll:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:05 PM
Ugh. I hate waiting until the last minute to know something like that! I feel like someone wouldn't show? But in any case, enjoy the FE
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:07 AM
Thanks!
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:11 PM
Good luck getting into the half - take it easy if you do wind up doing the full.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:07 AM
Thanks. I find these "training" marathons help me practice things that come in quite useful later on, so all good.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-05 12:33 PM
Good luck with the marathon tomorrow, maniac.  :laugh:

You can get through it I am sure, decently enough. LOL, I did a 50k+ this year on a shorter long run.  :blush:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:09 AM
Really?! Hey, that gives me an idea...:laugh:
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 7:50 AM
I have DNSed races due to injury and undertraining. I would probably DNS if it were my goal marathon and it was 90* at the start and there was no chance for me to hit my goal and there was another marathon within the next few weeks where I might hit my goal.

My weekend plans include driving to beautiful Scranton, PA, tomorrow and running the Steamtown Marathon on Sunday. I DNFed at mile 16 at Steamtown in 2004, so this is a bit of a redemption race for me. My goal is to finish, and I am waiting on my coach to tell me what time goal he thinks I can achieve in this race. I am not sure my training since August has prepared me for sub-4 here, that's more my goal for Kiawah in December. But if my coach says to go for it, I'm going to go for it. I'll be happy with anything 4:30 or less if I am not trying to break 4.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:05 AM
What long runs have you had recently? I remember a hilly 19 miler but couldn’t remember if you had some other 20’s that I missed.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 10:57 AM Edited 2018-10-05 11:11 AM
Going backwards:
13 miles Sunday
16 miles
20 miles at RTB
hilly 19 miler
hilly 16 miler
and a few other runs of 13-14
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:22 AM
Your coach has a better idea of what you have been doing, but I don’t see enough there to warrant a sub-4 attempt. Run a more conservative race, avenge your DNF and come out with positive outlook moving towards Kiawah.
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:34 AM
Thanks! That was my thought too. And only 2 structured speedwork sessions in all of that time, soo...
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:12 PM
:hug:  You're getting some good advice here.  I hope it goes well for you and that you finish strong.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 1:46 PM
Thanks! :hug:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-05 8:11 AM
Good luck this weekend!
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:35 AM
Have a good race! Fingers crossed for cool weather!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:02 AM
I love that course! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:20 AM
Good luck!

DON'T GO OUT TOO FAST!!!!!    ...since that's entirely possible with co much downhill in the 1st half of the race!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:07 PM
Fwiw, my best marathons were done on the weakest training in paper. Race day pacing is probably more important. Don't start to fast! And on a course like Steamtown, that is more of an effort thing than time
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-05 12:40 PM
All I can say is, Steamtown has been very very good for me. Good luck on Sunday. If you feel good and confident, go for it. If not, back off. Not much help, I know.
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-05 8:02 AM
My main reason to DNS is not being able to decide what to wear and I miss the start while I'm trying to pick my outfit.  :meh:

A quick 7 km with Molly......just got in....about to shower because Molly and I going on a walk/hike with 3 men and 2 dogs in less than an hour.....unless
I'm too late because I can't sort out my outfit.

This weekend I will do an epic drive back home and basically get my shit together for a few weeks.  Even though it's the real Thanksgiving I'm not going to
actively participate....even though I have a cute outfit I could wear to impress people.:laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:32 AM
You should always have a go-to outfit for all your races.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-05 10:49 AM
That is hawt:hug:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-05 9:42 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:08 PM
Safe travels! :happy:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:12 PM
Happy Thanksgiving!
- - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-05 8:07 AM
I've DNSed due to injury and one time due to complete physical exhaustion. At this point, it'd be injury that would keep me from toeing the line at a race, and it's awareness of injury potential that makes me fairly conservative in my outlook on training. If it's raining on race day, I don't care. Cold? Don't care. Hot? That sucks, but I'll plow through it (I'm looking at you, Heartland Marathon). I keep telling myself that I'll focus on training to run a decent race after the 50 states are done, but I'm not sure I've completely convinced myself yet. :roll:

Weekend: Heading to Albany tomorrow, Mohawk-Hudson half on Sunday.

7 mi today.
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:37 AM
See you tomorrow!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:03 AM
hi Chris!
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:21 AM
Good luck on Sunday!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:09 PM
Good luck and have fun at the FE :grin:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:13 PM
Have fun this weekend!
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-05 12:44 PM
Sounds like a big FE coming up. Have a good time, and a nice race.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:17 AM
4.5 trail miles before work.

Somewhat tapering for Mohawk Hudson on Sunday. If I had any sense, I’d DNS this one but I don’t so I will go check off the state and move on. My training partner wasn’t there but I thought I saw his car but it was a female co-worker so we chatted until my buddy arrived. The woman is faster than us and took off before we did but was only a little ahead of us when she pulled into the porta-john about a mile and a half into the loop we waited on her and ran the rest of the loop with her. We were running along and my buddy screamed like a little girl and jumped 2 feet into the air. He saw a big black snake by the edge of the trail. The woman was running on the other side of us so only jumped about a foot.

I will DNS if the race doesn’t fit into the big picture. I DNS’ed a 5K a month or so ago because the weather was nice that day and I decided that I needed to take advantage of that and get in a long run to be better prepared for the goal race which is this Sunday. The big picture is still finishing up the 50 States.
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:39 AM
Snakes.:meh: 

I used to have a big picture, back when my focus was better and I had real goal races. I need to get back there! How many states left?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 9:17 AM
After Sunday, there are only 8 states left. I should finish up in about 2 years. (5 next year and 3 in 2020)
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:14 PM
:cool::cool::cool:  Great plan!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-05 9:44 AM
Just slog through the race this weekend.  I can't have you messing things up so KC 2020 isn't your 50th state......my whole plan revolves around it!  #selfish #allaboutme
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:14 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 12:24 PM
I can slog with the best of them! You know that I will check off the state and move on to the next one, so no worries that KC2020 is in jeopardy.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-05 9:48 AM
I am planning to do my small part to make sure that your trip to Mohawk Hudson is worthwhile.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 10:58 AM
Thanks! It will be a good weekend once all the running is out of the way. :laugh:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-06 6:14 AM
This means brownies, right? :panderpanderpander:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-05 10:15 AM
have fun this weekend! :grin:
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:03 AM
I haven't been around, why would you DNS Mohawk Hudson?
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:18 AM
I’m way undertrained. I had a really hard time training through the summer. I will be able to finish the race but I’d like to be in better shape.

I’m looking at it as a nice long training run for the Kiawah Island marathon in December.
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 12:47 PM
Once I moved to Texas I realized that Early October Marathons will never work for me. I just can't train. I can barely do early November, but I know with the 50 states you don't have that luxury.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-05 2:47 PM
I’ve already told my training partners that once I’m done with the 50 states, I’m going to cut my summer running way down. I struggle more and more the older I get.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:22 AM
Good luck Sunday!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:10 PM
Have fun FEing! I didn't realize so many were running that one
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 8:29 AM
Ha!  Signing up for the race is harder for me than doing it.  I like training.  I hate racing.  Hence, July was my first race in about 4 years.  I tend not to sign up until the last minute and usually find some excuse to not go.  If I sign up, it takes a lot to not do it.  I’d say injury is #1.  I’ve started plenty of races sick.  I’ve DNFd plenty of races sick, but I at least try.  I once hit a ½ mary PR with a 102* fever, larynigitis/pharyngitis (lost my voice). Because of that I always tell myself “you’ll never know.”  Stupid though really.

Morning run – I went all wild and crazy and did a new route.  Not exactly new.  I’ve probably run on all relatively safe roads around here at some point, but I made a new route from newgym.  I would never run that route any other time of day (Wal-Mart/Target/Mall area), but at 4:30 there are few cars!  Go figure.  For most of it, I ran on the 2-4’ concrete median – no sidewalks. : pbbt: It had a lot of good hills, and then I went to my old neighborhood (more hills), and then I hit the flat paved riverwalk trail for the final 25 miutes.  A nice easy 70 min run and relatively enjoyable even in the 72*, 100% humidity morning weather. :meh:  Followed it with the HIIT leg video.  It’s a “50-50” meaning the first half is normal lifting (squats, lunges, bridges, calf raises) and the 2nd half has the HIIT moves.  The hardest part was the high knees running :laugh:  I tried to do my best Flash Dance impression, but my arms wouldn’t go as fast and my legs and get all out of sync and then trip me up. :blush: Finished with Ab Ripper X.  I do like that one.

Weekend plans.  No soccer or anything else, so I’ll get caught up on house stuff.  Jacob is the busy one with the football game, SAT, and then two 4 hour stints of 4H Teen Leader fund raising (blech!!!!! But he doesn’t hate it like I would)
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-05 8:41 AM
I like training.  I hate racing.

Me too! But without signing up for a race, I wouldn't train.:blush:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:12 PM
A lot of the time I think I'm going to do it, but at the last minute, I chicken out. Then I decided the hate outweighed any love and didn't even an them anymore.  Ironically, I had stronger toyed with the idea of quitting running, but then I tore my meniscus and couldn't run... And decided maybe not to quit after all...
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:15 PM
Yup, me too.
Parent - - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-05 8:50 AM
For me, registering is the best part. It's all downhill from there. :laugh:
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-05 10:13 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:13 PM
Downhill is great! :wink: but I put so much pressure on myself. It's stupid, but I can't help it. You'd think I'd learn after almost 50 years!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:15 PM
Parent - - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:05 AM
two 4 hour stints in one weekend seems like a lot!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:14 PM
It is. They have to do 3 stints in 2 weeks. But next weekend is soccer travel stuff and during the week he has so much every day, it was good to knock out 2 of them at once.
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-05 9:11 AM
I didn't do jack this morning - lots of pet interrupted sleep on Wednesday night made me super tired yesterday, so I snoozed in this morning until 7am.

I DNS the Cowtown 10k back in February. I was trained well enough but we live in Dallas, the race is in Ft Worth and there were horrible thunderstorms and crazy weather rolling through all night and into the morning. the race starts at 7am, which means getting over there by at least 6am to get parking, lined up in the corral, etc. and when we got up, they weren't sure if they were going to delay or cancel all together. Laying in bed listening to the thunder and watching the lightning, we decided it just wasn't worth driving 40 minutes over there to be told "sorry, go back home" or to stand around for 2+ hours while they waited for it to clear. They ended up starting the race I think at 8:30 am (when they usually start the 5k) and I was okay not being there. Although I did miss having breakfast afterwards with Raider and SlowMo.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-05 9:46 AM
Going through all that hassle for a 10K in FW, would not have been worth it.  Except for the breakfast!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-05 10:48 AM
Cowtown half this year? Blazer should come too and do that as part of her long run that weekend. :hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:06 AM
Ha! That is the same race I DNSed due to having no child care. The morning of I was pretty glad I didn't jump through a ton of hoops to make it happen.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:16 PM
Smart to catch up on sleep.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:16 PM
I don't blame you for missing for that
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-05 10:01 AM
I decided against my run to circuit training, circuit training and run afterwards because it was 77* and humid when I woke up.  Of course, I could have still gone to circuit training and not run, but instead I did core work and 50 minutes on the elliptical watching something I had recorded.

I have DNS two marathons because of injury....either I was injured or was recently recovered from an injury which didn't allow me train properly.  I should have been a DNS in Omaha last year, but didn't want to miss the FE.  I had the FE and got a stress fracture! :meh:

Tomorrow, I doing a half marathon as the last 13 miles of an 18 mile long run......I will get there early, run 5 miles and then hop into the race.  (yes, I am registered, not a bandit.)  It is a fun annual event which is always held on the weekend of the Texas-Oklahoma football game which is played in Dallas (halfway for both teams) at the Cotton Bowl. That game is referred to as the "Red River Showdown" so the race is called the Showdown Half Marathon.  Entrants can choose the color of their shirt & medal.....red for OU, ugly burnt orange for UT or, a neutral color if you don't give a rat's ass who wins the game. This is my first year where I have a reason to chose the UT color, even though it is ugly.:laugh:

Both kids will be home, one for most of the weekend and the other briefly. Since both have ignored my two weeks of nagging to get their flu shot, when I get home from my race, I will drag both their butts out of bed and we will have a family outing to Walgreens to get shots!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-05 10:12 AM
i love doing a half as part of a long run. IF i can get there early enough.

have fun on the family outing! :laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-05 10:48 AM
That sounds like a fun half. Is it in Dallas?
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:08 AM
that race sounds fun. Yup, flu shots! I need to call to get N's scheduled for next week.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:28 AM
Have a great weekend! :grin:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:17 PM
That's hilarious about the shirts!
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:18 PM
That's a cool idea for the race. We will likely do flu shots next weekend when Steven comes home for fall break. We go to Targer and I take all the $5 gift cards for myself. Stick a kid with a needle, give mom $5! :evil:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 1:48 PM
- - By PuddleThumper Date 2018-10-05 10:07 AM
i'm much less likely to sign up for races lately and sign up later so i'm generally going to start at this point. I'd have no hesitation about pulling out if i have any injury concerns. I'm less worried about cold or heat (looking at you dallas marathon!). I'd not start if more than mildly sick either. This is supposed to be fun dammit and if i'm worried about injury, illness or whatever, i will DNS with no qualms. :laugh:

and i'm injured. :meh::mutmad: Weirdly injured. :roll: I had that great temp run tuesday. Felt fine. Wednesday was rest day and went to pool with mom. Everything felt great after that tempo run. Wednesday evening, i was at home walking around and felt some weird twingy place on my foot. So strange. what is that? i massaged it a bit and didn't think much of it. Went to run the next morning with friends and after about 100 yards noticed foot and while it wasn't changing my gait, it didn't feel good. I stopped after a third of a mile and returned home. I rowed and did some strength videos instead.

It doesn't feel good at all today and was very noticeable when i first got up. If i wear running shoes which i do to walk to the bus, it bugs me to the point of limping. If i'm in my work shoes which are fairly orthopedic :grin:, i just barely notice it. UGH. it's in the right place for a neuroma but could be a stress reaction. it felt very stiff and sore upon getting up though which signals more tendonitis type thing. I did jam my foot a bit tuesday when warming up - you know, just a misstep. hmm. 

The good thing? i haven't signed up for any races and i'm not particularly training for anything. :grin: The only bad thing would be if this impacts walking in paris. :shocker!: we leave in 10 days. I do have a boot and i might wear it this weekend to take all pressure off the foot. I'll bike and row this weekend as long as that doesn't bother it. Sigh.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-05 10:47 AM
Oh no. I hope it's nothing big. :hug::hug:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:10 AM
oh no! I an sorry you are injured. SO weird.
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:29 AM
So weird! I hope you get it figured out.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:18 PM
Ugh, I hope that clears up soon.  :hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:19 PM
Ugh. Weird aches are a PITA. And the only thing now that scares me more than knee twinges are foot ones! Hopefully a weekend in the boot will nip it in the bud
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2018-10-05 12:49 PM
Sorry about the foot. I am sure it will be better before your trip.
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-05 10:47 AM
4.5 miles with my husband and then hot yoga - I'm spent.

This weekend is insane. Both kids have soccer - one at 8:30, one at 1:10. My parents are coming to watch so we'll do lunch in between. Sat night we have an Oktoberfest party at church and then all day Sunday we have our school's Fall Festival. I chair the telegram booth so it will take over my life... kind of already has... for the next two weeks. :cry: I've already told my co chairs that this is it. We've done this two years in a row. We've got it very organized and now we are passing it on. :hug::hug:

Yay weekend!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:12 AM
school volunteering is such a time suck. I just can't do it! I will be a helper but not a leader.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-05 11:13 AM
Your dyslexia is so cute...hope you enjoyed the yoga and hanging with your hot husband:hug:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:19 PM
Oy, good luck with all of that!  :shocker!:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-05 12:21 PM
Your post made me smile with nostalgia. It's a lot, but enjoy it!!!!

Volunteering is such a thankless job :meh:
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:00 AM
Hey! I am going to try to post today.

I would DNS due to injury, certainly. I think I have DNSed a non-goal race when I realized that my DH was traveling and I had no child care. For some races here that means getting someone to my house at 6am.

Today was 7.75 miles. I know other people in the area have complained about this, but the humidity is bad, the bugs are worse. It is just awful in the evenings.

So my DH won a state award and they put together a video. part of it was getting B roll footage of him with me and our daughter. Yesterday was the day-she had a soccer game at 6:40 so the plan was we would get there early, they would get some footage of us at the park and then a little at the game. She comes home from school walks in the door yelling "Party Party Party"-apparently on the bus another kid had permanent markers and they colored their faces and hands. I'm usually not super stressed about that kind of stuff, but it was the wrong day. I got most of it off her face but her hands were a mess. Anyway, I think the video was OK. She is super excited about being on TV-when I told her it probably eon't be on TV she was bummed until we said it would be on YouTube. For a 6 year old YouTube is better than TV anyway.

Weekend is soccer/gymnastics/cowgirl museum and then date night saturday. Sunday is just swim lesson I think
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:32 AM
She comes home from school walks in the door yelling "Party Party Party"
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 2:25 PM
She is my kid, and I am biased, but seriously, she would crack you up.
Parent - - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:06 PM
Wow, great for DH!  How's the new job going?
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-05 2:26 PM
the new job is like drinking from a fire hose. And my DH's job is crazy right now. That added to the usual busy and houseguests the past few weeks means we are all just exhausted..
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-05 11:35 AM
I can recall 3 races I've DNS'ed.  A marathon I was very well trained for but my DW's father passed away a few days before it and we had to be out of town.  I was registered for a half marathon but woke up that morning with, well, the "runs" :cry:   Worst was that I was co-manning a table at the race and had to bring all the important stuff, a 40 mile drive to Delaware :cry:  ..I DNS'ed but survived the trip with no accidents :roll:   Finally, I had a free entry & registered for a Saturday sprint triathlon.  I did something, not quite sure what, on Friday evening to throw out my back and even by Saturday I could barely mount a bike, never mind ride one :cry:  I've run through many races with some level of nagging injury that would have been better treated by resting...stubborn runner!

I subbed the 9:30 spin class this morning & did the usual exercises afterwards.  No specific plans for the weekend.
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:05 PM
Ooof, sounds like you made the right call for DNS-ing on all of those races!
- - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:03 PM
I'm pretty cautious about signing up for races and feel very committed to the race once I do sign up.  That being said, I have DNS-ed for races when I've known I'm not ready, or when I'm injured.  I'm more comfortable doing that than I used to be - I've done enough races now to know there's no good reason to start when I know I'm going to be miserable all the way through. 

I did another micro-workout yesterday.  The treadmill I usually run on was in use so I hopped on the manual treadmill instead.  I've tried running on it before but I've never lasted very long - it's very different from a regular TM.  The best analogy i can think of is that it's like moving from running on pavement to running on trails.  I cranked out a ten-minute run, in addition to a w/u and c/d. 

Not sure what I'm doing today for exercise.  I'm working at home so I have a lot of flexibility.

Weekend plans: It's Thanksgiving on Monday so the plans involve eating a lot of turkey and pumpkin pie.  We have TG dinner with my side of the family on Saturday, TG dinner with DH's family on Sunday, and another TG dinner with friends on Monday.  :laugh::cool:
Parent - - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-05 12:11 PM
That's a lot of turkey and pie! :laugh: Enjoy!
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-05 12:19 PM
It is AWESOME.  :cool::cool::cool:
Parent - By Doughboy (spamkiller) Date 2018-10-05 3:19 PM
So much Thanksgiving! :shocker!:
- By N70SAK Date 2018-10-05 6:45 PM
:meh: Still trying. Waited two weeks since my calf last knotted up. I hiked and rode a bit during that time. Tonight I managed 10:00 and another ~4:00, plus ~45:00 walk. I have 2 weeks before a 5k.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / UnFlinching Fridaily!