Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Wednesday Dailies
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 7:42 AM
No creative title :blush:

QOTD - when it comes to things like toothpaste, shampoo, etc... Are you the kind of person who must squeeze every last drop out of the container? Or do you just Chuck it when it gets "close enough." The effort isn't worth the $0.10 you're probably saving
Parent - By george [us] Date 2018-10-03 7:51 AM
Woke up at 4:45 and met some friends for a run before work. Met a new guy who seems cool so I hope he continues to run with us. Got 8.6 miles in by 7am.

AOTD: it depends on the product and how much work it entails. Something that is worth its weight in gold, like pesto sauce, yogurt, or dish soap, I generally try to get as much out as possible. Not only for frugal reasons, but also because it's less wasteful that way.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2018-10-03 3:45 PM
:laugh: I'm not a penny-pincher about anything EXCEPT getting at that last nickel's worth of toothpaste, blistex, peanut butter etc. :blush: Dunno why that is, except maybe deferred earned gratification from opening a nice fresh tube or jar. :wtf:

That's all I have to talk about since a long hearing today kept me from getting out.
- - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 7:51 AM
QOTD – in my younger and poorer days, I definitely squeezed every last drop out of everything.  I sort of took pride in it.  Then, as kids came and life got more complicated, I just said eff it.  Too much a PITA.  Now, I’m finding myself gravitate toward my former self.  Our toothpaste is very low, and I’m taking more satisfaction than I should squeezing every last bit out of there. :blush:

My lifting program has “rest” days on Wed, Sat, and Sunday.  But you can do active rest, so I thought it’d be a great day for my long(ish) run. :blush:  I ran my usual 10K loop twice – first time easy, second time I tried to pick it up.  It was a whopping 1:30 faster.  Guess that’s better than 1:30 slower. With a w/u and c/d the run was between 13-14 miles.   I did not appreciate the 68*/100% humidity, and allergens that have my eyes goopy & lungs crappy.  Blech.  But in general, I honestly didn’t feel that bad.  Just not that good.  Complained to DH that it was October, and he reminded me that our Halloweens are usually still hot.  Thanks. :mutmad:  Finished with a Baron Baptiste 20 min youtube video to stretch everything out.  I had forgotten about him!  He was my first video outside of the Comcast freebies eons ago.  So, he was nice to spend time with him again. :happy:
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 8:01 AM
The yoga studio I go to is the Baptiste method :hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:13 AM
I really like his style. It got me hooked those years ago
Parent - - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:32 PM
Did you ever read the Tightwad Gazette? When I was pregnant with my daughter, I read it and got really into it. The author wrote a newsletter by the same name and the book is a compilation of all the newsletters. She researched the cheapest way to do... everything. Readers would write and ask how to save money with laundry detergent, and she would research whether powder or liquid was more cost efficient (powder, duh) but also things like do you have to use as much detergent as the instructions say (answer depends on whether water is hard or soft), how to DIY stuff like birthday parties, weddings, etc., how to stretch food and reuse clothes for kids, how to best save money on groceries... thousands of things. I learned a lot of useful tips, but after a bit I realized I was spending 90% of my waking hours working on this shit.:laugh: That's when I mostly stopped.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 2:58 PM
No!I could have gotten into that in my younger days. I'm lazy now. I used to double/triple coupons in the day and would get buttloads of food and stuff for free. Not anymore :blush:
- - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 8:22 AM
2.2 mile walk with Olive and core stuff
I think I pinched a nerve in my neck :wtf: It was horrible yesterday and sleeping pretty much sucked but it's feeling much better today. Was going to do yoga but figured I should hold off.

Depends. I will turn the bottle upside down with lotion, etc. but toothpaste I will replace sooner. I feel like it doesn't do it's job when you can barely get any out. :laugh:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:14 AM
I hate the neck thing. Driving is a PITA. Hope it clears up soon
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 1:06 PM
Yes it is. Fortunately feeling better :hug:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-04 7:17 AM
Maybe ask around and see if someone has one of those ugly padded neck braces?  Sometimes wearing one for as little as an hour can help get things moving in the right direction again.  You can tell the kids you're practicing early for Halloween.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-04 7:28 AM
Thank you! I was wondering about one of those. :laugh:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-04 5:29 PM
Give it a try!  I was surprised at the relief compared to the short amount of time I used it -- just a couple of hours for a couple of days and I found my neck much happier.
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-04 6:05 PM
:hug::hug: Thanks lady! Good to see you!
- - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-03 8:26 AM
Speedwork day! Although I am not speedy. :meh: Eight 1/2 mile repeats from 3:18 to 3:23. I have not done repeats since December so I guess I shouldn't complain about by speed since I haven't run fast in training. :roll:

I am having a blast coaching XC! Nobody has quit the team or during a race, so that is a positive. Before our Monday practice there were some questions/comments that showed they are starting to think like runners: "Is the course at the next meet hilly?"  "Is it going to be windy on Saturday?"  "I hope they mow the grass shorter, my shoes got wet in the tall grass." One Mom commented that her son has lost a lot of weight. Her son is Eddie who has been 2nd from last, 3rd from last and 4th from last place. But he is improving!

Question: I squeeze/squirt to the last drop. I don't do it to save $, I do it because I want to avoid going to the store. :grin:
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-03 8:54 AM
What is this speedwork of which you speak?:wtf:
Parent - By skigirl Date 2018-10-03 8:54 AM

>  2nd from last, 3rd from last and 4th from last place

Eddie's rocking his races!  :cool:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:13 AM
Coach of the year!
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:31 AM
We all knew you’d be a great coach!
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:59 AM
Go Eddie GO!!!
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 10:29 AM
That's so awesome! :cool: Good work Coach!
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:16 AM
You are an awesome coach :hug: those stories can make all that effort worth it, eh?
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:19 PM
:hug: Coach Rob

Although I am not speedy. :roll:
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-04 7:22 AM
My fav "last runner" story is the kid on my son's XC team who was consistently back of the pack.  There were only seven guys on the team.  When it was time to qualify for state, one very good runner was home with strep, another did not have good enough grades to participate, two guys ran well enough to qualify individually, two other guys ran well but missed the individual cut-off.  It took "Eddie" to finish at the very back so that the entire team could go to state :cool:
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-04 8:10 AM
:cool:
- - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-03 8:53 AM
60 minute endurance spin this morning. Felt great after! And starving, so I indulged in a blueberry muffin from the Argentinian bakery around the corner. That place is dangerous!:hug: I'm kind a sorta tapering for the Mohawk Hudson half this weekend- at least, I'm going to assume I get into the half. I registered for the full last May, but the longest run I've done in months is around 13 miles.:roll: I emailed the MHM RD to see if I could switch, and because of bus logistics and whatnot, I have to wait until a spot opens up. Fingers crossed.

QOTD: Yeah, I turn shampoo bottles upside down to get the last drop out, stuff like that. I'm sure I picked up the habit from my dad, a depression baby.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:17 AM
Argentinian bakery? Add that to the (long) list of things we don't have. Sounds yummy :happy:
- - By skigirl Date 2018-10-03 8:53 AM
I used to squeeze stuff out to the last drop - I even used to cut apart toothpaste tubes with tin snips (back when they were made out of metal) to scrape out every last molecule.  I was counting every penny in those days.  I'm not quite that extreme now but I do try hard to use things up and not be wasteful, not so much from a frugality standpoint but more of an environmental one: the amount of garbage we put into the landfill bothers me so I do what I can to cut that down.

Went to the gym last night and ran on the treadmill and did some weights.  The Tuesday post-work workout has been my routine for a few years now but I dropped it over the summer in favour of having dinner those evenings with DD and DH - which was worth it, but it's nice to get back to my routine. 

According to my scale I've gained 7 pounds since Sunday - WTF?  I'm going to chalk that up as a side effect of the antibiotics I'm on for my dog-attack injuries - not that sudden weight gain is listed as a known side effect of them (yes, I've checked :blush:) but it's more comfortable to blame them than to think that somehow I've gained 7 pounds for some other reason.  : pbbt:

Another little vent: DD told me last night she had no clean pants.  She only owns 4 pairs of pants and according to her they were all dirty.  So I stayed up late doing a load of wash so that I could get her pants into the dryer.  Then this morning she goes skipping by in a pair of leggings that I didn't wash - told me, "Oh, I pulled these out of the laundry so I'd have something to wear today."   I squawked at her, "But I stayed up late doing laundry so you could have clean pants to wear today!"  And she was like, "Um, thanks, but I didn't expect you to do that."  Damn, I could have gotten more sleep.  :cry:
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:36 AM
the scale is the worst! I can swing so much in the course of a week, I never know which day to believe :laugh:

sucks about the laundry, how old is DD? I decided I didn't want to do laundry for 4 dudes in my house anymore, so all three boys (14, 12, 10) do their own laundry. I help them measuring detergent, picking temp, etc - but they are on their own for doing it and putting it away. out of socks? sux2bu : pbbt:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:18 AM
Cutting it apart! Woah! Hard core!!! :laugh:

I gain and lose so many pounds in a week. It's water. I'm baffled by the people who are consistent.
- - By nooner [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:18 AM
5 miles before work.

Semi-tapering for the Mohawk Hudson Marathon on Sunday so I joined the guys for the middle 5 miles of their 10 mile run this morning. It was a little cooler but still 100% humidity. The forecast calls for warmer temps for the weekend both here in SC and for the marathon in NY.

My wife and I get into a competition to see who can be the last one to get any toothpaste out of the tube before it has to be thrown away. :evil: We both grew up in families that didn’t have a lot so will scrape every last bit out of jars before throwing them out.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:20 AM
I'm so ready so the humidity to just go away! Will it at least be a little better in NY?
- - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:26 AM
Taught spin class & did the usual post-class exercises.  On Monday we spent the entire class pretending we were riding in a paceline...drafting at the back, working harder to move up in the pack and hardest "pulling" at the front, for increasingly longer intervals.  This morning we did a longer warmup, then sprints or "pickups" seated, seated/standing and on a hill & then we pretended being in a large group ride split into "C" riders, "B" riders and "A" riders. I had to explain what that meant since only ~1/2 the class said they had ever done a group ride outdoors.  We all started with the "C" riders...I told then they would all be comfortable in that group.  Then moved up to ride with the "B" riders...we'd have to work somewhat harder but I had confidence they could do it.  Finally we hooked on with the "A" riders, pushing our limits to the end of the class.  They seemed to like the class!  My HR maxed about 10 beats higher than usual :shocker!: so I know that I was working.

I'll squeeze as much as I can from the toothpaste tube but when it's done, it's done.  Since I swim ~3 X a week, I have to use a shampoo that removes chlorine.  I have a large bottle at home and a smaller size for my backpack that goes to the gym with me.  I perpetually refill the smaller one from the larger one and will drain as much as possible from the large one before tossing it.
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:08 AM
I didn't know there was such a thing as chlorine-removing shampoo. :wtf:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:46 AM
...and you have a pool!    When I began swimming regularly, my hair was beginning to resemble brillo!

My barb...the woman who cuts my hair recommended something like ---> THIS
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:50 AM
Are you like blazerboy and just wash your hair with bar soap?:laugh:
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:41 PM
Bar soap is okay as long as I follow it up with Dippity-Do :grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 2:53 PM
Hey now! I used to use that in the 70s to try to have my hair curled for picture day! It didn't work well:laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:21 AM
They had "ultra swim" in the '80s that was supposed to do that. I'm Not sure how well it worked, cuz my hair always still had a greenish tint to me
Parent - By Spingoddess [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:35 PM
Maybe you'd have less salt in the salt and pepper had you paid more attention in the hair care aisle!: pbbt:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:23 AM
That sounds like a cool class. I consider myself to be a B rider - assuming group rides levels are the same as what we design/plan for.
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-03 11:49 AM
I think I could hang in a B ride but it wouldn't be easy :cry:  All the outdoor rides I've done this year with others were at "C" speed and I just can't give myself enough incentive to go harder when I ride solo : pbbt:
Parent - - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 1:55 PM
LOL!  It’s definitely a different rating then.  Our A riders are those who wear fancy outfits and will ride anywhere.  C riders are those like kids or adult who are afraid to ride on anything but trails separated from traffic.  B is somewhere in between – OK with bike lanes, but skittish if none are available.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-03 5:50 PM
C = 14-15 mph
B = 16-18 mph
A = 19-21 mph
A+ = faster still!

...for 30 - 50 miles or more.  Much longer rides than my 55 minute classes!
- - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:27 AM Edited 2018-10-03 9:56 AM
50 minutes on the elliptical this morning, will go to boxing class tonight.  We had a new trainer lead the class last night and it was the most boring class I have attended in almost 6 years.  I hope he is not teaching again tonight.

I grew up very poor so I squeeze every drop out of the toothpaste and use every drop of shampoo, ketchup, etc..
Parent - - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:06 AM
Do they have a way to do a review of a trainer?
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:48 AM
There are only two regular trainers, one is Jerome who owns the gym and usually leads the classes I attend.  When we have random trainers, Jerome will typically ask us "regulars" how we think classes went.  I think we all give kind, constructive criticism when asked.  This guy may end being great, so as much as I am whiner, :laugh: I want him to be successful.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:24 AM
I am really picky about yoga teachers, and have had a few duds. It stinks.  Do you know beforehand who will be teaching?
- - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:40 AM
Woke up hella late, so only time for Benji and I to knock out 2 miles - I'll run another 2 tomorrow to make up for missing it today. but we played 2 hours of tennis last night lost 6-7 4-6 :mutmad: it's the only couple that we lose to and I get so mad at the stupid mistakes I make. we'll meet them again for playoffs since we're top two, I have to figure out how to not let them get in my head.

I'm all about getting the last little bit out of everything. I turn the lotion bottles upside down and then squeeze it into the new bottle, for shampoo/conditioner/body wash we have dispensers in the shower, so I just put the open bottle upside down over it for a day until there's nothing left. and I think the last little bit of toothpaste lasts longer than the whole rest of the tube :laugh:
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:05 AM
Tennis? That's bad for your knees! : pbbt: (just dishing out what I hear from non-runners)
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-03 11:01 AM
With a score like that, you’re so close to beating them. It will eventually happen.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:27 AM
You can do it! "Don't let your past define you. Learn from your past!" (Some of my fav quotes from one of my lifting videos)

I think everyone uses less and less as the tubes gets more empty. That's one reason I don't like giant bottles of everything. People use way too much. I find toilet paper to be similar :laugh:
- - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-03 10:09 AM
I'm a squeezer and a hugger...I like to get every last drop and that includes peeing.:laugh:

15km with Molly....the last 1.8kms straight up a hill ….that is over a mile for you Americans!!!:hug:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:59 AM
Yes it’s 1 mile + 191 meters.
These are the things you learn when you run high school track on a 400 meter track, but the race distance is a mile.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:27 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:23 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 2:49 PM
:laugh::hug:
- - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-03 10:57 AM Edited 2018-10-03 11:00 AM
QOTD: I usually try to get as much as I reasonably can - turn shampoo bottles upside down, etc. Like rob said, if it saves me a trip to the store (and saves me a little cash), it’s good. But with my hectic schedule, I won’t spend a ton of time scraping out another $0.10 worth of toothpaste. My time is worth more than that!

I have a travel size container of hair gel which I refill from a larger bottle. The main reason for that is because the travel size container (a) is hard to find, and (b) goes through airport security.

No run today. Pushed-up, crunched, and planked. Orthopedist said take Aleve 2x/day for 10 days and don’t run. I’m following his recommendation and hoping this gets rid of the PF for good.

Bonus: She said yes!!!
2/16/2019
No runango wedding crashers, please.
Location is somewhere in Canada.
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 11:29 AM
That's how I am now. I make reasonable attempts, but I don't have the extra time to squeeze/scrape/shake that last tiny bit

And CONGRATS!!!!!!!
Parent - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-03 11:50 AM
Congratulations! So excited for you.
Parent - - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-03 12:21 PM
Don't worry about me crashing the wedding....I'm fairly certain I'll be invited:hug:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-03 12:26 PM
Sled dog to Ontario in February may take a while. Oops, I just gave away the location to all the crashers! Doh! (Never mind that Ontario is bigger than Texas)

Also, you never sent me your fee schedule. I’ll assume you’re doing this one as a freebie. Thank you, my friend.
Parent - By Mookiethedog Date 2018-10-03 12:47 PM
You know what they say about assume:laugh::hug:
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2018-10-03 6:50 PM
Ontario bigger than Texas—better smile when you say that , partner
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-03 9:57 PM
?
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2018-10-04 4:17 AM
:wink: That’s a John Wayne—ism

Super congratulations
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-10-03 1:03 PM
Congrats!
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-03 1:40 PM
congrats! :cool:
Parent - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:24 PM
Congrats! :hug:
:hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2018-10-04 6:06 AM
Congratulations Tim!
Parent - By rob26.2 [us] Date 2018-10-04 6:59 AM
Congrats Tim!
Parent - By Schantzie [us] Date 2018-10-04 7:25 AM
This news makes my day!! :hug:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-10-03 12:24 PM
It’s my wife’s birthday so we took off. We ran 9.3 miles on the Nordic trails in the southern kettle moraine forest. :cool:
Parent - By Tim [us] Date 2018-10-03 1:32 PM
Nice run. Did you bring any toothpaste or shampoo? How do you take care of your beard?
:hug::hug:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 2:55 PM
:hug: (though I confess on my bday off, I want my DH at work and not with me :blush:)
- - By Beastie Girl [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:17 PM
I am going to run 3 miles in a little bit. I had to leave the house at 6am to drive to a client for work, and I didn't get up super early to run as I had initially planned. Pretty day outside! :hug:

I always use the last little bit of everything if I can! Especially if it's something expensive like makeup or anti-wrinkle cream. :roll: I was raised very frugally and this has carried over. I like to get my full money's worth out of everything!
Enjoy your run! :grin:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 2:55 PM
Enjoy your run!
- - By donnasaur [us] Date 2018-10-03 2:33 PM
I squeeze every bit out because I am lazy and do not want to go to the store. Who am I kidding, click order on Amazon. Still super lazy.

run was 7 miles. It was really humid today and I am over it!

DH comes home today until Monday. This is the first time we will both be home for more than one night since September 9. Everyone in our house is wiped out right now.
Parent - - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 2:48 PM
I'm so over it :mutmad: My husband won't even listen to me talk about the weather anymore.
I think I'm mostly over the plague of mosquitoes. They are the WORST.

Enjoy your time :hug:
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-10-03 3:01 PM
holy crap - while stretching after my run I have to swing my arms around like a crazy person to keep them from landing on me. and I still end up with 2 or 3 bites anyway :mutmad:
brneydrnnr gets the Zika, news at 11 : pbbt:
Parent - By redraider0528 (Fashionista) Date 2018-10-03 3:30 PM
:mutmad::mutmad::cry::cry: The other evening at soccer, I was walking through clouds of gnats and mosquitoes. That would be my worst nightmare if I went to The Bad Place. :laugh::laugh: (donnasaur, get it??) :laugh:
Parent - By PoopedColt Date 2018-10-03 2:57 PM
My DH has been away for exactly ONE night in the 24 years we have been married. I'd pay for him to go somewhere! But I can see how all of that coming and going can be tiring and tough
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Wednesday Dailies